• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I had a feeling this would happen considering that Sora was never mentioned in the Amiibo section of his presentation (plus Disney's iron grip over merchandising rights), but I guess the worst-case scenario happened. If anything, it goes to show that Sora being in Ultimate at all was a miracle, one we probably shouldn't expect to happen again.

Source: Ethan (Twitter)

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess negotiation for him was already a living nightmare, trying to get Disney to solit profits over physical merchandise rights would have been impossible.

Antydotes

One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2017
So my collection can never be complete or line up with the "Everyone is Here!" banner?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Imagine not being able to buy the last character amiibo. That's got to drive collectors insane. :P

There's still plenty of time for it to be announced though. Fingers crossed for those that are collecting these.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Considering an actual Amiibo release if it happens is quite a ways off, it doesn't really show one way or the other.

They could just still be negotiating and just add it later on in a minor update.

Though maybe the whole "we're trying to get every Fighters Pass character available as an amiibo" thing they've said in the past, that it was hinting at their struggles with Sora.

Either way I don't think there's enough information and it's too far out to say for certain.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
They never said it was the final update, they said it was the update with the final fighter adjustments (besides bugfixes).

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
They never said it was the final update, they said it was the update with the final fighter adjustments (besides bugfixes).

Re-reading the words, it is like the last fighter adjustments meaning, the last fighter, Sora, adjustments are included in this update, not the final fighter adjustment update.

Maybe it's too much of a stretch.

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
I have hopes they'll somehow figure it out eventually, would be a shame to have Sora's amiibo as the only one missing. His amiibo will likely be over a year away anyway seeing how long we've waited for FP2 amiibo (and only the first ones with known releases in Spring 2022), so maybe the negotiations for the amiibo are still underway.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I'll hope for the best -- let's not forget how Bayonetta, Corrin and Cloud amiibo took forever alongside their respective updates -- but I feared as much after the presentation as well.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Re-reading the words, it is like the last fighter adjustments meaning, the last fighter, Sora, adjustments are included in this update, not the final fighter adjustment update.

Maybe it's too much of a stretch.
Across multiple sources I think the point is very clear that it's the last balance update. I'm just saying, that doesn't mean the game can't get updated for other reasons, such as adding amiibo support.

Look at what happened with the final DLC and amiibo for Smash 4. The characters were announced in December 2015 and released in February 2016, and then the amiibo -- and a software update to support them! -- came out in July 2017.

I can see Sora not getting an amiibo. But whether support for it was added in 13.0.1 has no bearing on that.

Deleted member 44122

sakurai mentioned all the last amiibos getting released and sora was not one of them, so this shouldnt surprise anyone

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
sakurai mentioned all the last amiibos getting released and sora was not one of them, so this shouldnt surprise anyone
Which likely means it's still up in the air and they don't want to announce something if there's any chance they have to cancel it later. If they knew for sure it wasn't happening, why wouldn't Sakurai just say that? In the past he said up front that there wouldn't be a P2 version of Byleth, for example.

Also, regarding the "or he's really far away from release" part of the tweet, like... Obviously? The Min Min amiibo isn't coming out until spring 2022, and the character was released in June 2020. Sephiroth came out a year ago and the amiibo doesn't even have a release window yet.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I mean, i feel like if it aint happening, Sakurai/Someone would say it isn't happening
I havent seen an example of "they will just forget about it tee hee" from him yet
These amiibos take fucking forever to be available for sale with characters being playable on X day and the amiibo being available like 1-2 years later straight up, its still up in the air

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Urgh disappointing if so.
Sakurai didn't mention a Sora amiibo when he mentioned the others so I was concerned but disappointing he's the only one to not get one.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Urgh disappointing if so.
Sakurai didn't mention a Sora amiibo when he mentioned the others so I was concerned but disappointing he's the only one to not get one.
In retrospect, that probably should've tipped us off that he wasn't getting one.