• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
You simply said "trash comment of the thread", implying that a black person being suspicious of whites when black people aren't around is trash, without even saying "it's not true"; also without even acknowledging all the replies from white or white passing people that said "that pretty much is true" or "your suspicions aren't totally unfounded"

it really comes across like you want to blame black people for being suspicious of whites as what isn't helping or pushing us forward, instead of well, everything that would make a black person think most white people do use slurs when not around black folks

like dude, we're on the internet. It's not hard to find whites using slurs or otherwise uphold long held traditions of dehumanizing black people. This thread is about a young white woman going on multiple racist rants about black people, surrounded by other young white women but a black poster saying this is what they expect of most whites is what you have a problem with
Does it truly come across like I want to blame black people? Yikes, I'm out y'all can keep talking about this white woman. I fuck with a lot of white people in a red state and no one I know would do this even in private, they'd get their ass beat.

Oct 31, 2017
Does it truly come across like I want to blame black people? Yikes, I'm out y'all can keep talking about this white woman.

Well, your problem is with a black poster saying they suspect most whites use nigger when black people aren't around and you assert that THAT isn't helping or progressing anything, as if black folks being suspicious of whites in that way is a significant hinderance to progress

and honestly, you running away without responding to any of the well put arguments to your assertion only confirms that you're not interested in dealing with why a black person would feel that way; you just want to admonish the not at all unreasonable suspicion and again, completely ignored that white people in this thread have confirmed that whites using slurs when black folks aren't around is common

so, yeah

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Well, your problem is with a black poster saying they suspect most whites use nigger when black people aren't around and you assert that THAT isn't helping or progressing anything, as if black folks being suspicious of whites in that way is a significant hinderance to progress

and honestly, you running away without responding to any of the well put arguments to your assertion only confirms that you're not interested in dealing with why a black person would feel that way; you just want to admonish the not at all reasonable suspicion and again, completely ignored that white people in this thread have confirmed that whites using slurs when black folks aren't around is common
But this isn't my experience, I'm just not interested in going in circles. I've said my peace about it, I hang with a different crowd tho so I'm not trying to diminish how it feels to him, it's just a terrible comment IMO

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol her response was the typical, "i'm sorry, i was wrong, i made a mistake" like everyone in here predicted.
She's sorry she got kicked out of school and out of the sorority, she's not sorry about her thoughts or what she did. Hope her life is ruined, don't need fuckers like that in this world.

Oct 31, 2017
But this isn't my experience, I'm just not interested in going in circles. I've said my peace about it, I hang with a different crowd tho so I'm not trying to diminish how it feels, it's just a terrible comment IMO

that's fair, if you had said "this isn't my experience as a white person" or whatever, but you didn't and the comment certainly wasn't terrible.
Dude said what he thinks, he didn't assert that it most definitely was the case. And if you can't understand why someone would think what he said, that's on you

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just get it out of the way that most white people DO NOT say things like this in public?

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still stuck this motherfucker said nigger like thirty times and openly said she didn't care

Fuck you

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if it means anything to you. This white man does not tolerate such behaviour behind closed doors.
Mind you, I don't have that suspicion myself and I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I simply understand why another PoC would feel the way Bob does and don't particularly think it's necessary to paint his comment as "trash". That isn't the type of dismissive dialogue that's going to change anyone's opinion.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
People who keep saying "Her life and career prospects are over" - no they're not.

In a few years she can start the whole "I was a 19-year-old college kid, drunk and made a mistake" excuse. Her prospective employers may not dig very deep and may never know about this incident.

Not to mention she could change her name, omit Alabama from her education altogether since she was there for basically a semester, etc. It'd be hard to make the connection.

Plus, it's not impossible an employer might find out and not give a shit.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Mind you, I don't have that suspicion myself and I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I simply understand why another PoC would feel the way Bob does and don't particularly think it's necessary to paint his comment as "trash". That isn't the type of dismissive dialogue that's going to change anyone's opinion.
I was wrong.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just her brazen shit, like damn shorty, you ain't gotta say it thirty times

Once let's us know you a dumbass

And how did she go from shutting off water in a restroom to save Syrians to saying she hates niggers and she's saving niggers by shutting off the water

She's a dumb motherfucker

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
People who keep saying "Her life and career prospects are over" - no they're not.

In a few years she can start the whole "I was a 19-year-old college kid, drunk and made a mistake" excuse. Her prospective employers may not dig very deep and may never know about this incident.

Not to mention she could change her name, omit Alabama from her education altogether since she was there for basically a semester, etc. It'd be hard to make the connection.

She could change her name but employers will ask if she's ever had her name changed.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

And how did she go from shutting off water in a restroom to save Syrians to saying she hates niggers and she's saving niggers by shutting off the water

Bet you anything she thinks Syria is in Africa.

Oct 31, 2017
Can we just get it out of the way that most white people DO NOT say things like this in public?

SpongeBob didn't say white people use slurs "in public"

Don't generalize groups of people. You'd think as a minority you'd know that shit.

SpongeBob said what he thought whites say when black folks aren't around. Then multiple white and white passing posters confirmed that it wasn't a totally unfounded thought. One of the white posters even admitted to using the word himself when he was younger so it wasn't some "virtue signaling" or whatever y'all might want to call it.

I really do think there's a huge different in "generalizing" black people with a history of dehumanizing stereotypes through words and images and a black guy "generalizing" white people by thinking most of them use historic slurs; and you trying to chastise them for that is tone deaf as fuck. "you'd think as a minority you'd know not to generalize?"

Exactly. Let's not pretend she won't get a job from people who share her feelings but weren't young and dumb enough to broadcast it on social media

anti-black racism is so often completely out of the blue and comes from no where, I'm not surprised. It's an easy way to feel better about yourself by putting down other people and to be shocking and edgy

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well.

At least she didn't say "That's not the real me! Give me a second chance!" or some stupid deflection like that.

Progress in 2018!

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It's called binge drinking. Nothing she said in that first video made a bit of sense.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really do think there's a huge different in "generalizing" black people with a history of dehumanizing stereotypes through words and images and a black guy "generalizing" white people by thinking most of them use historic slurs; and you trying to chastise them for that is tone deaf as fuck. "you'd think as a minority you'd know not to generalize?"

I don't mean to equate saying all white people are racist with years of dehumanizing stereotypes I'm just saying it's dumb.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I mean she uploaded this shit to the internet, and somehow didn't think she'd get caught or punished.

How'd she get into this school? She can't be very bright.

Zipzo

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
She's a young, stupid (to put it lightly) college chick who grew up in a highly volatile culture (NJersey IMO has a lot of "sects" of people who are racist as hell FSR and I say that from experience), and she's probably going to get the book thrown at her. Maybe once she hits rock bottom she'll realize that she's doin' life wrong.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean she uploaded this shit to the internet, and somehow didn't think she'd get caught or punished.

How'd she get into this school? She can't be very bright.
It's not hard to get into the University of Alabama. It's also a pretty cheap school to go to compared to most US colleges. It's common for people from the East Coast with poor grades but enough money to go to southern schools that are actively recruiting out of state students. Same thing happens with West Coast students and Midwest colleges.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
She's a young, stupid (to put it lightly) college chick who grew up in a highly volatile culture (NJersey IMO has a lot of "sects" of people who are racist as hell FSR and I say that from experience), and she's probably going to get the book thrown at her. Maybe once she hits rock bottom she'll realize that she's doin' life wrong.

I'll pass on her redemption, thanks

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
You know, it's weird. I've met my fair share of racists in my life, and I can definitely say I'm not exactly fond of them. Sometimes it's as 'harmless' as a weird joke, sometimes it's asking me why I'm dating my girlfriend instead of someone 'from my own race'(I'm Latino, she's white Canadian), sometimes it's not wanting to rent to me once they see my last name. And I hate all that. It sucks, it feels dehumanizing, and those are awful people.

And yet...I don't know. I just can't help but feel a bit sad that this person's life is over. Like, she's an awful racist and I'm not about to argue that she got anything less than she deserved. She behaved in a terrible racist way and suffered the consequences for it.

At the same time like, I actually feel a bit sad about her life being over when she's so young. And it's a weird feeling because I hate everything she did, but I still can't help the fact that I'm not exactly feeling triumphant over this. It just feels like a sad thing to me all around, from her being a racist to her life being over.

I don't know how to explain it. Guess I'm just overly soft. I don't even think the consequences were unfair or anything of the sort - do dumb things, pay the dumb price. It's just that I can't bring myself to be super hyped up about her comeuppance, if that makes any sense. I might just be rambling.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
*reads transcript*

I think I lost a few braincells just reading what she said.

How do people this stupid function in society? Like how to they even tie their shoes let alone get through an entire day?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to get into the University of Alabama. It's also a pretty cheap school to go to compared to most US colleges. It's common for people from the East Coast with poor grades but enough money to go to southern schools that are actively recruiting out of state students. Same thing happens with West Coast students and Midwest colleges.

Interesting.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
And yet...I don't know. I just can't help but feel a bit sad that this person's life is over. Like, she's an awful racist and I'm not about to argue that she got anything less than she deserved. She behaved in a terrible racist way and suffered the consequences for it.

At the same time like, I actually feel a bit sad about her life being over when she's so young. And it's a weird feeling because I hate everything she did, but I still can't help the fact that I'm not exactly feeling triumphant over this. It just feels like a sad thing to me all around, from her being a racist to her life being over.

I don't know how to explain it. Guess I'm just overly soft. I don't even think the consequences were unfair or anything of the sort - do dumb things, pay the dumb price. It's just that I can't bring myself to be super hyped up about her comeuppance, if that makes any sense. I might just be rambling.
Her life is not over just because she can't finish school in Alabama.

This could be a great lesson for her dumb ass on how consequences work. I doubt it though.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, are we not going to talk about how she was surrounded by friends when she said this shit the second time and no one called her out?

That to me feels like this is a deeper problem....

Oct 31, 2017
It's called binge drinking. Nothing she said in that first video made a bit of sense.

What? I binge drink often and don't go into racist rants and tape them. I don't know why drinking is used as an excuse

You know, it's weird. I've met my fair share of racists in my life, and I can definitely say I'm not exactly fond of them. Sometimes it's as 'harmless' as a weird joke, sometimes it's asking me why I'm dating my girlfriend instead of someone 'from my own race'(I'm Latino, she's white Canadian), sometimes it's not wanting to rent to me once they see my last name. And I hate all that. It sucks, it feels dehumanizing, and those are awful people.

if it makes you feel better, this racist white woman will certainly receive many more chances even if she's being punished right now. Trust, she'll be protected from herself and in some places she'll be celebrated. Don't fret for her.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Her life is not over just because she can't finish school in Alabama.

This could be a great lesson for her dumb ass on how consequences work. I doubt it though.

I figure it would be hard for her to get a job or get into another university after this incident though, no? (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I've not lived in the US and I don't know how the social rules work around there)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No, you are a decent person with empathy. Plenty of people would say she doesn't deserve your empathy (and they have every right to feel that way, too) but they can't decide who you have empathy for, only you get to decide that. Recognizing that, considering she is so young and that such vitriolic racism isn't inherent in human beings, she must have learned this behavior from somewhere is important, and it is sad that someone so young could become so horribly racist.

She still deserves the consequences of her behavior. It just sad that racism can be so prevalent even among young people.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There is a reason liquor is called "Truth serum" and not "Racist serum".

Do you honestly believe that she thinks that conserving water in any way helps Syrians? She's obviously used to using the word in private and with friends. But I don't think normal racist people connect conservation of water with Syrians and black people.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No, racism is why what she said made no sense. Drinking was probably a reason why she felt bold enough to say it.
I mean we have a phone call where she sounded sober and it wasn't much better

Do you honestly believe that she thinks that conserving water in any way helps Syrians? She's obviously used to using the word in private and with friends. But I don't think normal racist people connect conservation of water with Syrians and black people.
She might, I have heard stranger things from racists. That is the thing about racism, there is no rhyme or reason to it

Oct 31, 2017
I figure it would be hard for her to get a job or get into another university after this incident though, no? (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I've not lived in the US and I don't know how the social rules work around there)

There are plenty of racist work places where she'll be welcomed, celebrated and will fit right in. She'll be fine, I assure you

D65

Oct 26, 2017
She got booted from university. Is it really important that she never gets a good job for the rest of her life?

That's already a huge thing. There's no measure of course, but a life sentence isn't right.