• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Tired of those guys trying to be clever with "Die Hard is the best Christmas movie." While it is a great flick, not much actually elevates it as a great Christmas movie aside from.. that it starts off at a Christmas party which becomes irrelevant like 10 minutes into the movie.

Meanwhile Black Christmas. Not only does it take place all throughout Christmas Eve and such.. and actually has snow.. BUT you have

One of the earliest blueprints for the slasher horror genre, in fact being the inspiration for Halloween that Carpenter originally considered making Halloween a sequel of sorts to Black Christmas before deciding to make it stand alone.

Some genuinely disturbing content.. From the content of the phone calls from Billy, to the first murder and its regular appearances throughout the movie, to pretty crazy themes for the time like arguing over abortion, kids being murdered, slut shaming, etc.

and obviously the ending, which is somewhere between unsettling to downright horrifying.

basically the phone ringing as the credits roll indicating that Billy killed the final girl

This year was the second time I've ever watched the movie, and honestly it blew me away as much this time as it originally did.

And yeah, as a non sequitur, Gremlins is also a better Christmas movie than Die Hard. Again, the emphasis on actual Christmas is way greater (Pheobe Cates' traumatic Christmas memory, snow, plows, decorations, and Snow White which kids born after the 80s probably don't know that Snow White and Wizard of Oz were Christmas traditions for most of us Gen X.. either on TV or in the theaters).

Die Hard is great. But as a "I'm gonna name a Christmas movie that's going to be cool and shock people" it's not even number 2, let alone number 1.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Die Hard is not that shocking to be honest.
The word Christmas appears like 20 times in the script.
Let it Snow is the credits song...

OP
OP
borghe

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna disagree on Gremlins. I love that flick and watch it every Christmas.
I watched it this year and somehow only just now noticed how violent it is. All within 5 minutes you have:

A gremlin getting blendered
A gremlin getting stabbed repeatedly
A gremlin exploding in a microwave
A gremlin being beheaded with it's head flying into the fireplace

I mean.... yeah, I never realized/remembered that PG-13 was actually legitimately needed.

OP
OP
borghe

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was gonna be some blaxploitation film.
ironically as a piece of trivia, the 1974 theatrical release of the movie was originally Silent Night, Evil Night because the producers were worried that people would think exactly this. The movie did terribly.. was rereleased/changed back to Black Christmas, and did significantly better.

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
too bad Gremlins is an horribly boring and disjointed movie that aged extremely bad and Die Hard is an awesome, gripping and entertaining movie still today, Christmas or not Christmas

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I agree with the OP.

That said, Lethal Weapon is a better Christmas action movie than Die Hard by just about every metric too. So let's throw that into the discussion.

too bad Gremlins is an horribly boring and disjointed movie that aged extremely bad and Die Hard is an awesome, gripping and entertaining movie still today, Christmas or not Christmas
I'll take Gremlins over Die Hard any day of the year. 'Boring' is one of the strangest takes I've heard on it. Hokey? Dated? Hammy acting? Perhaps.

Boring? Never.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it this year and somehow only just now noticed how violent it is. All within 5 minutes you have:

A gremlin getting blendered
A gremlin getting stabbed repeatedly
A gremlin exploding in a microwave
A gremlin being beheaded with it's head flying into the fireplace

I mean.... yeah, I never realized/remembered that PG-13 was actually legitimately needed.
It and Indiana Jones 2 are why we have PG13.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tired of those guys trying to be clever with "Die Hard is the best Christmas movie." While it is a great flick, not much actually elevates it as a great Christmas movie aside from.. that it starts off at a Christmas party which becomes irrelevant like 10 minutes into the movie.

Meanwhile Black Christmas. Not only does it take place all throughout Christmas Eve and such.. and actually has snow.. BUT you have

One of the earliest blueprints for the slasher horror genre, in fact being the inspiration for Halloween that Carpenter originally considered making Halloween a sequel of sorts to Black Christmas before deciding to make it stand alone.
so... it's a slasher movie set on Christmas?

how is that more of a Christmas movie than a film with central themes of reconnecting with family and repudiating greed??

OP
OP
borghe

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
boring and disjointed.. is.. weird. not sure how you justify that.

aged extremely bad... eh.. unsure. yeah there's some cheese. and the acting in many places isn't incredible. but even many of the practical effects are still very decent. And nothing terribly screams "80s!!!!!!!" outside of that being when the movie originally took place and was made.

In Bruges is the best Xmas film
I don't know how/if this relates to this thread, but I've actually heard incredible respect for this and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.. will probably check out both over the next week.

Feb 16, 2018
As a big horror fan it has shamed me that I still haven't seen Black Christmas, need to change that this year.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Gremlins is great and it's near the top of my list of "they don't make stuff like this anymore" movies

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Gremlins is legit. It can be both light-hearted and dark and pull off both with ease. Such a fun movie.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We're not all bros, OP.

And Die Hard will forever be my favourite xmas movie. Fingers in ears chanting: It's a Christmas movie!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
A better comparison would be between Black Christmas and Silent Night Deadly Night. Gremlins vs Krampus. Die Hard vs. Lethal Weapon. Home Alone vs A Christmas Story. Elf vs. The Santa Clause.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to watch the Black Christmas remake. It's putrid.

And why does it matter so much to some people if others consider Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Black Christmas is one of the best horror films ever made. I watched it as part of the 31 Days marathon a few years ago, and it blew me away. Other than Psycho and maybe Alien if you count that, I think it's the best slasher.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Gremlins is a terrible movie, full-stop. It's not the best anything.

Die Hard is a better movie, but I agree this "it's a Christmas movie" thing is played out. It was a Summer blockbuster. It's not about Christmas.