• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

Note: She's a pre-order bonus that you get early for preordering the season pass

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
So they are done announcing base game characters? Yeah announcing dlc characters before the game is our is annoying.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
DLC? It means no more base characters announcements? Or maybe this just got leaked too early xD

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess that confirms the the end of the base roster.

So the new characters confirmed playable are:

Groh
Geralt
And maybe the Mandarin looking guy

I gotta say I'm not happy with the low number of newcomers

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Really glad shes in, she was my main in V. Glad they are sticking to her 3 design.
__tira_soulcalibur_and_soulcalibur_iii_drawn_by_kawano_takuji__sample-17d88dafe16fe4acacb3532a250c91bc.jpg

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Her design is still so goofy, does not really fit in too well. I always liked her moveset though so whatev.

So by DLC is she being released after the fact, is she a pre-order bonus or part of the expansion pass?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Showing a dlc character in a fighting game prior to release is kinda disgusting. Should be in base roster

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're trying to sell a season pass of some kind, so it's better that we know what's in it.
I'm concerned that they're showing her before the rest of the roster though, unless they've announced everybody already (??)
They have not. So it is definitely weird to show her in what looks like a completed state before the rest of the roster is revealed.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really a fan of announcing DLC characters before launch (I get the feeling she'll be a dlc character on launch maybe?), but i'm glad she's in. I really like her new design.
Its possible she may be the bonus dlc character you get with the Deluxe Edition.
Yeah that's what i'm assuming. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I love chakram users, so I'm super glad she's in.

Hoping her alternate is close to her SCV one:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a good chance she's a pre-order character. They'd probably want to advertise that so as to incentivize people to... you know, pre-order.
I don't get this. Because she isn't the character you get for pre-ordering the game... she's the character you get for buying the Pass...

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
DLC characters before the game is out. . . not that I was hardcore looking into this game in the first place, but it puts me off.

I wonder how low level tournaments handle DLC characters across multiple games? Do they beg friends/entrants to being their profile? And only have the DLC on the streaming setup - making everyone wait in-line to play their favorite character (making the event run later than the usual late).

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Her being DLC in this capacity basically says, to me that she has nothing, or little to do with the story content they're making... but they'd know fans would want her. So she gets shoved in the way most appropriate.

Base game characters are going to have campaigns, art from multiple sources, and various cinematics and stuff attached to them. Being DLC, she'll possibly have less of that, or some of it can be completed at a later date. Though you can be sure they'll be some files in the shipped game...

They have not. So it is definitely weird to show her in what looks like a completed state before the rest of the roster is revealed.

Companies never seem to find it weird. But there's enough customers that seem to be thrown off by it, that you'd think they'd stop it. But this isn't official yet, is it? So far it's the "Libra of Souls" mode that seems to be the proper reveal?

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of my friends mains Tira...I guess he better bring his console over to my place to play as her, cause I probably won't buy her, lol

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I don't get this. Because she isn't the character you get for pre-ordering the game... she's the character you get for buying the Pass...

Well, they'll want to incentivise that too. If she's the pass-exclusive character you get at launch, they'll want you to know to help sell those deluxe editions. I don't think it's a sign that the base roster is finished.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they'll want to incentivise that too. If she's the pass-exclusive character you get at launch, they'll want you to know to help sell those deluxe editions. I don't think it's a sign that the base roster is finished.
I know the base roster isn't finished. I mean the wording is incredibly weird. The season pass includes 3 characters plus a bonus character... which is Tira. But doesn't that just means it includes 4 characters? I don't get the significance of separating her out or saying she's special somehow. Because she will be available on day 1? I can't figure it out.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Maybe what it means:

Pre-order base game = free Tira
Buy season pass = Tira is included as a bonus, she's not part of the pass (maybe?)
Or buy base game (no pre-order), ignore pass, you can still buy Tira if you just want her

It kiiiinda makes sense that way

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
She's DLC? That's trashy as hell. I was incredibly hyped for Tira to show up but I'm not a fan of previous characters being DLC in a sequel.
Does that mean she has no story presence?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I know the base roster isn't finished. I mean the wording is incredibly weird. The season pass includes 3 characters plus a bonus character... which is Tira. But doesn't that just means it includes 4 characters? I don't get the significance of separating her out or saying she's special somehow. Because she will be available on day 1? I can't figure it out.

Found an explanation:

Like Eliza with Tekken 7, Tira is a pre-order bonus character for Soul Calibur 6. If you buy the season pass, you'll get Tira with it. Tira will also be available to buy separately after launch. (From Gamescom PR)

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/1031825074389577728

So like Eliza, but friendlier to season pass owners who don't pre-order.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe what it means:

Pre-order base game = free Tira
Buy season pass = Tira is included as a bonus, she's not part of the pass (maybe?)
Or buy base game (no pre-order), ignore pass, you can still buy Tira if you just want her

It kiiiinda makes sense that way

I can see it being you get her if you pre-order OR buy the season pass (that isn't clear though).

But the other two things still doesn't quite make sense. Because if she was "included as a bonus" for buying the pass, doesn't that make her part of the pass?

If you ignore the pass and buy her separately... won't you be able to buy all of the DLC characters separately?

Ok. that's some clarification at least. I would argue it's still a bit confusing though.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I can see it being you get her if you pre-order OR buy the season pass (that isn't clear though).

But the other two things still doesn't quite make sense. Because if she was "included as a bonus" for buying the pass, doesn't that make her part of the pass?

If you ignore the pass and buy her separately... won't you be able to buy all of the DLC characters separately?

Ok. that's some clarification at least. I would argue it's still a bit confusing though.
Tira is probably not considered part of the pass because she's free*.
So she's a "bonus".

I don't know I'm just making stuff up.
We don't know if the season pass characters will be sold separately yet either, but it would be crazy if they weren't.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
That's... really dumb?

Like... do you want all rosters to be the same?

No, but a lot of people enjoyed the time when most fighting games carried their entire rosters from sequel to sequel while only adding characters, like from Tekken 5 to Tag 2 or Soul Calbur III to Broken Destiny. Of course, that's now a bygone time, and ultimately was a bubble that couldn't keep expanding without resulting in something disastrously messy, like MK Armageddon. But it sucks to have to pay extra for your favorites, or--even worse--miss out on them entirely.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Gross, the grubbing for extra money in fighting games is really putting me off the whole genre tbh. So shameless.

I agree, it's basically nickel and diming your fanbase. But that was always the likely evolution of DLC. Instead of planning the most appealing and complete seeming product, it seems like they plan from the very beginning what they think is the acceptable amount of content and what existing characters can push DLC sales. Ironically BandaiNamco is also involed in Smash Ultimate with its abundance of character choices from the very beginning, even though the actual decisions are made by Sakurai and Nintendo.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
No, but a lot of people enjoyed the time when most fighting games carried their entire rosters from sequel to sequel while only adding characters, like from Tekken 5 to Tag 2 or Soul Calbur III to Broken Destiny. Of course, that's now a bygone time, and ultimately was a bubble that couldn't keep expanding without resulting in something disastrously messy, like MK Armageddon. But it sucks to have to pay extra for your favorites, or--even worse--miss out on them entirely.

A lot of fighting games didn't do that. Street Fighter Alpha is a famous example, and added main stays in latter additions... you know like DLC

Or You know Tekken 3, the game who literally threw out a bunch of its roster, including its protagonist for new character

You are wearing rose tinted glasses and fighting games have been doing it since the 90's.