• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm so glad to have Mina back. And they're finally giving her new moves!!

And people who think ridiculous underboob is a new thing for her don't know what SoulCalibur is

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't explain dismissing an outfit as bad design because it shows clevage and skin.
It's literally in the OP.
Because yes, if you have a game where all the dudes are covered from head to toe and your one female character is running around in a trash bag bikini and looking thoroughly uncomfortable about it, it's sexist. It reinforces the (already widespread, particularly in gaming "culture") idea that women are objects who exist solely for male titillation and pleasure. It's not "puritanism", it's wanting to be treated like goddamn people.
There's nothing wrong with a female character wearing a bikini if, for example, a game is set on a beach, and the male characters are in their swimming trunks. Complaining about that would be prudishness, and a little ridiculous. But it often seems like developers are so desperate for boobs that they're willing to break the audience's suspension of disbelief and hurt their own narrative in the process, and it's like, wow, do you really want to objectify women that badly? Can't you just leave us alone for five fucking minutes? Because Quiet breathing through her skin is not a compelling reason for a trash bag bikini, within the narrative or outside of it. If you really, really want to stick with the skin-breathing, fuck, just dress her in a sports bra and running shorts. At least that would be practical, and not grossly out of character.
Seong Mina's outfit isn't even consistent with her own story or characterization. It's complete bullshit. Likewise with Talim's and even Ivy's.

An easy way to figure out if an outfit design is pure bullshit is simply by asking the extremely basic question, "does anything about this character's background make them gravitate to this type of outfit?", and as is so often the case with female characters in these games, the answer is very obviously "fucking no!"

Oct 26, 2017
Astaroth sounds like Eggman from the 90s Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. I can't do the English voices, its a game killer.

I mean...it's the same voice actor he's had since Soul Calibur 3. Michael McConnohie is a great voice actor, but I'm in agreement that I'm not a huge fan of Asta's english voice.

Remember Astaroth's voice in Soul Calibur 2? He was voiced by J.S. Gilbert, voice of Sweet Tooth in Twisted Metal among many others. That guy knows how to give big physical monsters a big, booming voice.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"She has always shown skin" is a pretty thin defense of a game where the sexualization of the female cast is pervasive and accelerating with each iteration of the game.

Nov 4, 2017
"She has always shown skin" is a pretty thin defense of a game where the sexualization of the female cast is pervasive and accelerating with each iteration of the game.
It's a rock solid defense if you claim it's "accelerating." Because then you look at the previous games and see it was always there.

If you don't like it though, that's fine, everyone has a right to their opinion.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a rock solid defense if you claim it's "accelerating." Because then you look at the previous games and see it was always there.

If you don't like it though, that's fine, everyone has a right to their opinion.

Not only has it always been there, but it was in some ways arguably more absurd in the 23 year-old Soul Edge, which had almost DOA-level breast bounce, panty flashes galore (including secret codes to change the color), and a PS1 CG intro with a nude Sophitia that was censored in releases outside of Japan.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like both designs a lot.

Personally I don't mind the sexy designs. I find them to be very silly in a cool way. It is a legit complaint though.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Im sorry I have to keep quoting myself... but he is right
Did they? she looks about in line with her other designs.

SC2
__seong_mi_na_namco_soulcalibur_and_soulcalibur_ii_drawn_by_kawano_takuji__sample-9145b9e91a950b8715814280e64a52ea.jpg

SC3
__seong_mi_na_soulcalibur_drawn_by_kawano_takuji__4eecb12a8841d4104009ead649cbfeb9.jpg

SC4
__seong_mi_na_soulcalibur_and_soulcalibur_iv_drawn_by_kawano_takuji__abef6b4bdb6898222405ed7d7da0d4e2.png

This is all offical art too.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic designs for both, who can be mad at underboob?

I was kind of sweating thinking my man Astroth wouldn't be in. If Tira doesn't make it then he's def my main.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

Seong Mi-Na's designs always being like this only 'excuses' Seong Mi-Na.

It doesn't mean he's not right about the increasing sexualization of female characters in general since Soul Calibur 4

I really disliking people thinking that "there's always been a few fanservicey female characters in this series" is the same as "almost the entire female side of the roster having fanservice designs now". It's not. Seong Mi-na still having the same type of design doesn't excuse, say, Xianghua or other characters who don't have the same history of fanservicey designs

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
The argument is that it's getting worse.
Saying "Well it's always done this way" isn't a counter argument, it's worship of a sexist status quo.
I never said it was alright, I have no opinion on whether its sexist or not.
However folks acting as though Soul Calibur is suddenly getting worse need to go back play the games pre-Soul Calibur V. They actually toned down the designs from 2-4, since V was a Tekken 3 style roster refresh. People being like "Gasp, Mi-Na would never wear something so... revealing!" really need to go back and actually look at the games they were playing.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
The more it's like SC2 the better.

Little disappointed that it seems they're modeling Seong Mina's moves off SC3. It's not as good as her SC2 moveset.
Seong Mina's SC2 moveset was a lot closer to Kilik's, with more shared moves. SC3 and on gave her a more unique identity. Honestly, even if it's not as good as Kilik's (and that's arguable at this point), more variety is better than less, so I'd argue in favor of the change.

Nov 4, 2017
Seong Mina's SC2 moveset was a lot closer to Kilik's, with more shared moves. SC3 and on gave her a more unique identity. Honestly, even if it's not as good as Kilik's (and that's arguable at this point), more variety is better than less, so I'd argue in favor of the change.
Yeah, that's totally true. I'm certainly going to give it a shot and try to master her moves in this new one. Always played her since the first game.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not a fan of mina's costume for some reason i can't point out exactly..maybe it's the pink, or the strage upper part with the top and that thing on her shoulders..maybe it's a reinterpretation of some traditional costume.

astaroth is..well, astharot...funnily enough this version kind of works since he is supposed to be a golem made as an imitation of Rock, ad the whole fur part on his back kind of reminds him of Rock
Bit disingenuous using shots of characters with their armor broken.

So what about the part where the female characters are wearing outfits that go against their character?

like?

I'm worried that Cassy and Setsuka won't make it. :/
the game it's a celebration of the series, i think they will get in, either now or as dlc...they are recycling the recycleable

Last edited:

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
IN other games, Mi-Na also had costumes that looked like this:

Seung-mina-soulcalibur-1460932-1280-720.jpg

SeungMina3.jpg
1081497-seong_mina_01.jpg

The lack of Alternate Costumes (so far) makes the main designs stick more than they usually do.
I was going to say, seeing the post with the official artwork on the first page threw me off because Mi-Na was one of my characters and I definitely didn't remember her looking like that in SC2, but I actually recognize the costume here so I guess I'd just been using her alt. Really hope there's a less obnoxious costume for her in this game.

(edit: I guess it was this costume
latest
which is even better, I just remember it being green and not red and definitely not as revealing as what was on the first page.)

This is why we need Hilde.
She is one of the best designed female fighting game characters of all time, IMO.
Hell yea, Hilde is great. With Mi-Na confirmed the only characters I'm still hoping for are her and Lizardman.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yo those colorful weapon swings reminds of Dreamcast Soul Calibur and that is totally a good thing.

I wasn't really paying attention to this game but now it's immediately on my radar, seeing the current roster I'm seeing some Soul Calibur II level greatness...possibly.

There is four characters missing that would make the roster perfect in my eyes. Hwang, Cervantes, Lizardman, and Raphael. If they can get these guys this could be potentially the best Soul Calibur since the second game.

Although I am a secret fan of SC3s Chronicles of the Sword RTS mode and the introduction of Create-a-Soul. Soul Calibur IV wasn't too bad but the Star Wars inclusions kind of felt unnecessary, but I did like the Tower Mode and the expanded character customization, although I do miss the original fighting styles of the SCIII CaS.

I really can't say anything positive about SCV or that F2P spin-off.

Soul Calibur VI with each new reveal looks to be a return to form. Looking like a day one purchase for me. If any one of those four characters gets included that incentivizes getting the game even more.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Love the seong mina design. I'm ok with soulcalibur making sexy male and female characters.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mina in, that's just about everyone I would want. I was getting worried.