• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, SCIII was coming off of the most successful game in the series, and was able to afford all of that wonderful excess. Things likely changed when it underperformed.

That said, those models show that there is still a lot of room for improvement for the in game models without sacrificing any sort of visual identity.
If anything, I thought Soul Calibur IV's renders showed me what a "next gen" version of the characters might look like.
533efc64dee19bac8bd74f64c19a341e--game-character-character-concept.jpg

*drool*

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if "budget" is the reason. They've constantly made even higher-res models for their older games that aren't even used in the game and just show off higher-res models of the characters because they could.
0dda76d8109db735aee9cfd33959e4df.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Those are pre-rendered promotional images. Its going to be a long time before we can reach that IQ. Even movie like Advent Children still look exponentially better than anything achievable on consoles.

And even if that level of IQ was possible at 60 on consoles, budget is still an issue. Games are much harder and take a lot longer to develop for than in the sixth generation. SC3 came hot off the massive success of SC2, SC6 is picking up the slack from SC5 lackluster performance.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Imo the small visual difference between 5 and 6 (besides resolution) is more of a testament of how good sc5 looked for than how "bad" sc6 is. SC5 models are insane for their gen.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Model reuse is unfortunate, but this is definitely a budget sequel. We were lucky to get a SCV, and lucky to get a SCVI. At least every character is tons more fleshed out from previous games, and they didn't reuse supers like how T7 uses supers from SCV of all things.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been keeping up with SCVI news but is it known if it will have some sort of beta eventually? I'd love to give it a try! Last time I played SC was on Gamecube but I've been following the roster reveal so far.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Those are pre-rendered promotional images. Its going to be a long time before we can reach that IQ. Even movie like Advent Children still look exponentially better than anything achievable on consoles.

And even if that level of IQ was possible at 60 on consoles, budget is still an issue. Games are much harder and take a lot longer to develop for than in the sixth generation. SC3 came hot off the massive success of SC2, SC6 is picking up the slack from SC5 lackluster performance.
I'm aware, but it was more that they've taken the time to create higher-fidelity models in the past for promotional purposes, even for the lesser used characters. They have the talent and ability to create multiple high-quality models, but they're reusing older-gen ones currently. I'm sure it's to save time and money (it always is), but they certainly have the talent and ability to go beyond that if given the opportunity. We have games today that look better than their CG renders from the PS2 days, but their current models are just serviceable.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I unfortunately cannot find solid numbers for Injustice 2's budget, so we can never truly know. However Injustice 2's marketing dwarfs Soul Calibur 6, and marketing is accounted for in budget.

How do you know Injustice 2's marketing budget?

I see so many people try and excuse the shortcomings of Namco and Capcom fighting games with the crutch of "they didn't have an NRS budget". And yet, you never see the same excuse for the specific attack animations in Injustice/MKX that are inferior to Namco/Capcom.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
How do you know Injustice 2's marketing budget?

I see so many people try and excuse the shortcomings of Namco and Capcom fighting games with the crutch of "they didn't have an NRS budget". And yet, you never see the same excuse for the specific attack animations in Injustice/MKX that are inferior to Namco/Capcom.
Money cant buy good animation, you need good animators and a good director for that. Netherrealms animations isnt due to a lack of budget, its just that they animate stiffly. Mind they do have great animators (for the cut scenes and motion capture), its just once its in-game, that shit goes right out the window.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Really like both designs. Great to see Mina seemingly being a completely unique character now.

People saying the game looks like a ps2 game or terrible are crazy. Game isn't impressive from character model stand point but looks great especially during gameplay.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Money cant buy good animation, you need good animators and a good director for that. Netherrealms animations isnt due to a lack of budget, its just that they animate stiffly. Mind they do have great animators (for the cut scenes and motion capture), its just once its in-game, that shit goes right out the window.

So you're saying NRS should hire more talented animators. Well, then you can use that same logic to tell Namco to hire better character modelers, hire better developers to get the best lighting/textures/environment design etc.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
So you're saying NRS should hire more talented animators. Well, then you can use that same logic to tell Namco to hire better character modelers, hire better developers to get the best lighting/textures/environment design etc.
Sure, and NRS could probably hire better animators for the in-game animation (or make the game more keypose heavy than... what ever it is now) since they have the money. Namco isn't exactly in that position. Regardless if Injustice 2 had a larger budget, Project Soul is not as big as NRS. They dont have the amount of resources that they have at their disposal since they are a subsidiary of WB, and thats fine. While the models in Soul Calibur 6 arent quite as high poly as a NRS, the lighting and the colorful artstyle more than make up for it.

I feel if more people saw SC6 in person it would change their minds. It definitely did for me, and I was shitting on this games graphics for the past few months.
Just everything about it looks really substandard. It just looks like they are recycling assets from Soul Calibur 4, with low poly models and unexpressive faces. The stages look great, but the models literally look like they came straight out of a 360 game.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, and NRS could probably hire better animators for the in-game animation (or make the game more keypose heavy than... what ever it is now) since they have the money. Namco isn't exactly in that position. Regardless if Injustice 2 had a larger budget, Project Soul is not as big as NRS. They dont have the amount of resources that they have at their disposal since they are a subsidiary of WB, and thats fine.

Where are you getting this information?

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im inferring it from the size of their parent companies, WB Interactive and Bandai Namco.

So you don't know and are just making it up. Got it.

I'm not saying that I2 isn't a higher budget than Tekken or SC or vice versa, but I'm not going to go around claiming "Namco isn't in a position to invest money into SC and Tekken" either when they fall to their competition. If you're making an assertion about something tangible like money spent then you better be prepared to cite your sources.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
So you don't know and are just making it up. Got it.

I'm not saying that I2 isn't a higher budget than Tekken or SC or vice versa, but I'm not going to go around claiming "Namco isn't in a position to invest money into SC and Tekken" either when they fall to their competition. If you're making an assertion about something tangible like money spent then you better be prepared to cite your sources.
Fair enough.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I'm also very disappointed with the graphics, wtf happened??
I will say this after playing the game at Evo (Which was running exclusively off PS4 pros) it looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures and on YouTube. (I suspect they were on 4k monitors since that was the only booth using Samsung monitors with garbage input lag compared to the Benq's that were getting pimped by every other area in Evo outside of Smash.) The main issue I noticed graphically while I was playing was that the pre match character models could stand better textures. Once the camera ends up at the standard distance that particular issue is mooted.

So I wonder if that isn't just a question of presentation optimization.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I love Astaroths redesign the dude looks like a tank, i am ready to hate getting command grabbed again.

I've never cared for Minas gameplay at all (orginal or clone) and actively hate her designs but she looks like she animates great in this.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I mean it's not available in the US either so I'm not sure if this is entirely the reason
Sorry for the late reply but I also just realized that the game's also not available for pre-order on PS4 or X1 digital either, in US/EU.

It is however available digitally on JP so I do think there might be something to something about Europe keeping the west from getting a digital pre-order early.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I care more about tight responsive gameplay with awesome animations than shiny photo-realistic graphics. I don't know where people get the idea that this game somehow must obliterate everything graphically. Mind I remind you doubters that before it's announcement, SC VI was just a dream and all we SC fans got was that stupid pachinko machine trailer on it's 25 year anniversary? Or should I remind you the state of the franchise when that stupid pay to win Lost Swords launched?
First people were moaning about the shortcomings of V (mimics, important shifts in gameplay and lack of a better SP component) and everything went downhill from there. Now we have what seems to be a very competitive fighting game with a great cast of characters, and revamped mechanics and everyone is moaning about the lack of ultra graphics. tsk tsk

Uh is she only wearing a bra?

Always has been