• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Case in point, Sorey and Mikleo from Tales of Zestiria.

That's an jrpg, everything flies there. Show me that in main 3d fg like VF, DOA, Tekken, SC.

Honestly, Tekken's story was always a joke. It's just that they actually tried to turn it into a serious one with Tekken 4, and when that game flopped they distanced themselves from everything associated with that game... even the undeniably good aspects of it like the presentation.

It wasn't. T1 had barely any story but a foundation non the less, T2 story was awesome and accompanied by amazing moody soundtrack and overall tone of the game. T3 is when Harada took over the whole franchise and it started to show, though T3 story was still solid until they started retconing it later. Tekken 4 was an experiment in every aspect including story where a professional(or semi professional) writer was hired. After the game flopped Harada decided to basically erase every T4 element from future Tekkens. That included good story. So then was when it started to become a bad comedy.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Problem with SC's story is it is pretty much too big. Several plotlines of characters from across the world travelling to find Soul Edge for various reasons. You need a much more fleshed out Weapon Master esque mode. World map with various locations you can navigate to and a Visual novel like presentation to create a meaty story for each character.

A cinematic story mode wouldn't work as characters are in too many different locations and Arcade intro + ending doesn't give you any sense of a character's actual journey

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but I was agreeing with you from the get go though, hence why I said "case in point" and mentioned another instance of Namco lacking the balls to deal with the topic.

It's interesting because in Tekken 2 they touched on topics like King's alcoholism and Armor King's lung cancer. After Harada took over he wanted a very series to have "lite tone" to put it gently, so these stories were overwritten or pushed into obscurity.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For sure. This is still my favourite Seong Mi-na costume:

xJdVrfk.jpg
That's an ugly looking costume.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of costumes:

What if instead of CAC they'll just made character custom clothing like in Tekken or VF?

When they're so quiet about it I'm starting to doubt it's there.

Jan 11, 2018
Speaking of Seong Mi-na's outfits - if she returns I'd love to see them revisit this concept:

usQrZa9.jpg

Unlike her main garb, this design is based on an actual traditional dress from Korea. Certainly wasn't done any justice by the graphics in SCII though.

I hope the Maxi being gay rumour is true, that'd be nice!

I hope so too.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Problem with SC's story is it is pretty much too big. Several plotlines of characters from across the world travelling to find Soul Edge for various reasons. You need a much more fleshed out Weapon Master esque mode. World map with various locations you can navigate to and a Visual novel like presentation to create a meaty story for each character.

A cinematic story mode wouldn't work as characters are in too many different locations and Arcade intro + ending doesn't give you any sense of a character's actual journey
Tales of Souls worked pretty well in SC3. I wish they had more of the cutscenes, but otherwise that was probably the best of all the single-players. If they had the variable match conditions like Weapon Master then that would be a big improvement.
I can't help but wish this costume for Ivy comes back in SC6.
Her best costume.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
My favorite Seong Mi-Na costume is the one I made in SCV :p

l6XzN.png

Mi-Na might be the character I care about the least? She filled the cute girl role when it was just her, Sophitia, and Taki. By SC1 Xianghua filled that role and Kilik took her weapon, and I'd rather play as Kilik every single time.

Probably how it's gonna be.

Btw.
Rock > Astaroth

Hwang > Yunseong

:/
I disagree on both. While I prefer Rock and Hwang in concept (mainly because I started with Soul Blade) I think Astaroth and Yunseong work better. The former because he's a less weird and less human BDSM monstrosity like Voldo, the latter because his move set is more unique and stands out well.

I like what I think they wanted to do in SCV, basically split the characters into groups and follow those instead of doing characters individually. You had Schwarzwind (Siegfried, Hilde, Zwei, and Viola) and Journey to the West (Maxi, Xiba, Leixia, and Natsu), and the trash that we ended up with as the only story mode characters (Patrokolos, Pyrrha, and Tira).

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

That sort of extensive RPG-inspired sort of mode would be my ideal version of a main singleplayer story for a Soulcalibur game - even if the production values have to take a hit with non-voiced 2D portrait conversations and a world map, dungeons and towns represented with static background images, it'd be significantly preferable to a short series of fixed battles with cinematic cutscenes telling a single compressed story with a restricted cast.

But I don't think it's impossible to tell that story in a linear way, especially considering a structure where you'd be recruiting other characters (both mandatory and optional) as the mode progresses - for example, after a prologue detailing this continuity's version of Taki and Sophitia fighting Cervantes in Soul Edge followed by Siegfried becoming Nightmare; they could largely use Kilik and Xianghua's journey as a backbone for a plot that brings in all the main cast members; with freedom to change around and expand individual details (like Taki being forced into direct conflict with her possessed master, Astaroth and an alternate/early version of Ashlotte working together before the former chose to rebel against the cult and kill his creator; expanding on Ivy discovering her origins and subsequent conflict with Cervantes) which could easily fit into a long-form RPG narrative split between a main plot, sidequests and additional unlockable conversations between party members; especially with the ability to use CAS characters to fill in enemies and NPCs as in earlier singleplayer modes.

Of course, I'm not expecting anything remotely like that; but the pieces are there to put something like it together.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite Seong Mi-Na costume is the one I made in SCV :p

l6XzN.png

Mi-Na might be the character I care about the least? She filled the cute girl role when it was just her, Sophitia, and Taki. By SC1 Xianghua filled that role and Kilik took her weapon, and I'd rather play as Kilik every single time.

I disagree on both. While I prefer Rock and Hwang in concept (mainly because I started with Soul Blade) I think Astaroth and Yunseong work better. The former because he's a less weird and less human BDSM monstrosity like Voldo, the latter because his move set is more unique and stands out well.

I like what I think they wanted to do in SCV, basically split the characters into groups and follow those instead of doing characters individually. You had Schwarzwind (Siegfried, Hilde, Zwei, and Viola) and Journey to the West (Maxi, Xiba, Leixia, and Natsu), and the trash that we ended up with as the only story mode characters (Patrokolos, Pyrrha, and Tira).
You also have Nightmare, Raphael, and Aeon all doing god knows what.

Jan 11, 2018
SCV had so many good ideas, but I feel like the lack of a big budget really is what hurt the game the most in the end. What's there is good.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That sort of extensive RPG-inspired sort of mode would be my ideal version of a main singleplayer story for a Soulcalibur game - even if the production values have to take a hit with non-voiced 2D portrait conversations and a world map, dungeons and towns represented with static background images, it'd be significantly preferable to a short series of fixed battles with cinematic cutscenes telling a single compressed story with a restricted cast.

They did something similar in the PSX Soul Blade's Edge Master Mode.

There was also the Mission Mode for Dreamcast which basically had you go from level to level on a static map of the world.

The way you could do things different is present the player with different paths at certain points or a multiple choice answer prior to certain battles (i.e defend the city / attack the city) Which would open up branching paths. Throw in random generated events with mystery opponents with varied conditions (poison / health drain attacks / quicksand / strong wind / etc) when you traverse the map to mix things up. It would the equivalent of Soul Calibur's World Tour Mode like Alpha 3 has.

Also throw in the NPC enemies from Soul Calibur III and IV so you aren't always fighting the main cast but other "Adventurers"

Yes the groundwork has already existed in previous games. They could do so much with it.

Oct 26, 2017
Using the CAC to add in background characters was one of the best things with SC3. Having the extra movesets was icing on the cake.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Saying that Seong Mi-Na's weapon was taken by Kilik has me slightly triggered lol. The zanbatou that she wields forces her to fight using the blade end of her staff making her a purely mid-range to long-range attacker, while Kilik has more options with the bo-staff.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The Chronicle of the Sword mode the RTS like gameplay was also cool. I wish they expanded on it further. Being able to assemble a small Army of CAC's and conquer enemy forts.

Also the way they presented the actual SC cast as significant threats was awesome. When you ran into Mitsurugi and you were level 10 and he was like 50, you knew you were in some serious shit.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The Chronicle of the Sword mode the RTS like gameplay was also cool. I wish they expanded on it further. Being able to assemble a small Army of CAC's and conquer enemy forts.

Also the way they presented the actual SC cast as significant threats was awesome. When you ran into Mitsurugi and you were level 10 and he was like 50, you knew you were in some serious shit.

Yeah, it combined surprisingly well with the fighting game parts.

DECISIVE BATTLE

Having that on top of a really cool arcade-ish style story mode with Tales of Souls was amazing. Probably part of why create-a-soul has become so important to many fans of the series. They didn't just introduce the character creation feature alone, they made a whole sub-game around it, with over a dozen unique (if on the thin sides) movesets.

Sucks that content filled fighters seem to have peaked at SCIII, at least from Bamco. I'd love to have a team with that sort of passion and support (I'm assuming they had a decent budget after SCII) head a new fighter in this day and age.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree that there is huge potential for a great big story mode.

-World map with locations, path choices etc

-Visual novel style character interactions allowing for lots of npcs for the SC cast to encounter

-CaS enemies so you don't just fight the SC cast over and over again

-SC4 armor stats. Equip and level up the characters you recruited. Armor you get from enemies or that can be bought or forged with materials

-optional locations unlocked through certain conditions that could lead to secret fights. Super boss Kilik where he is in constant Evil Kilik for example or hidden Mirage versions of SC characters spread throughout the world that if you beat them unlock costumes of the characters from previous games.

-Make something like the Tower of Souls from SC4 a location aswell. High level challenge tower where you can take your equipped and leveled up characters

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished catching up on the Texas Showdown exhibition. Lot's more reversal edge being used than in past ones.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Soul Calibur III has always been my favourite for the best single player offerings in the series. I was baffled to hear people didn't like it.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Saying that Seong Mi-Na's weapon was taken by Kilik has me slightly triggered lol. The zanbatou that she wields forces her to fight using the blade end of her staff making her a purely mid-range to long-range attacker, while Kilik has more options with the bo-staff.
I meant her movesets. At my level at the time they felt the same.

-SC4 armor stats. Equip and level up the characters you recruited. Armor you get from enemies or that can be bought or forged with materials
Oh god no! Looking terrible to maximizing stats is still bad.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Soul Calibur III has always been my favourite for the best single player offerings in the series. I was baffled to hear people didn't like it.

Unfortunately, the bugs and balance issues drove away the competitive side of things. Those parts were fixed in SCIII Arcade Edition, but that never saw widespread release (I'm sure I've said it a dozen times in this thread already, but SCIII home content + AE fixes & additions + Online + 4k neeeeds to happen).

There was a also a really big memory card bug that wiped data from other games, which soured a lot of folks's experiences. I was lucky enough to never encounter that bug, nor know enough about the gameplay exploits/balance issues for those to cause me any chagrin.

Indeed. I don't want to talk about what I had to wear to beat the Tower of Lost Souls.

Jan 11, 2018

It's mostly disliked by a small minority because of the character balancing in the PS2 version, which honestly is totally fine unless you're a pro player (which most of us aren't, even though there are a lot of armchair pro players out there). Those issues were fixed in the arcade version I think. Honestly, my biggest issue with this game is the memory card bug, which thankfully can be solved by having a dedicated memory card (since they're cheap now). Lots of stuff to do for single players, and fun to play against friends at parties. Also the best roster yet. No stupid guest characters.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see this thread so active!

I've always been super salty over how Mina was basically replaced by Kilik. He was better than her in every way. Now I feel like they won't add her because they've already got Kilik. I think our best bet is DLC.

Unless we get a pretty good base roster size (25+) I don't think we'll see Mina outside of DLC. But then you have to wonder if Namco will deem her popular enough to be DLC.

I don't expect to see ZWEI at all, but I think he has a much higher chance of being in the main roster than DLC, just because I don't think Namco will believe people would pay for ZWEI.

Id be surprised if he doesnt make it in to be honest.

I think it depends a lot on the base roster size, but I do think Raph makes good DLC fodder. I don't feel Raph is a set in stone as Astaroth or Yoshi, but he's a character I think people would pay for as DLC.

While I'm not necessarily saying that Mi-Na will be in, I think that reasoning went out the window once they revealed Siegfried. Despite being significantly different from Nightmare, they're probably about as similar as Mi-Na is to Kilik. If they don't want any of the similar characters in (Mina, Cass, Rock, Li Long, Amy) it'll be for different reasons.

Popular opinion dictates Sieg and Nightmare are like the Ryu and Ken of the game. Even in SC6 when Nightmare has another one of Sieg's stances, I think everyone still expected to see Sieg, but more people thought he'd be DLC. I don't think Mina has the same pull in relation to Kilik. We'll get another new character, Lizardman, Cassie, Voldo, Asta, Maxi and Yoshi before Mina is even considered, IMO.

Tekken 5 is still the hypest shit dont @ me

HEIHACHI MISHIMA IS DEAD

Definitely the hypest.

https://youtu.be/lNFjuvvTDPc?t=14m < archive of last night's exhibition for people that missed it. No new characters of course, but they really made the game look fast and fun. I want to plaaaaay

I appreciate Namco showing off the game, but it's just not as hype for me when it's the same build we've seen since January and has none of the characters I care about. Unless I get one of my characters announced soon I don't think I'll be hype for SC6 until E3.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Just trying to make a engaging story mode that is also exciting for a more casual crowd. We all know how much people like loot.

Could always allow armor pieces to be smelted into some gem that can be equipped so you can keep your regular outfit or insert the gems into other pieces to override their stats or something

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Raph is interesting because he had an important role at the end of SCII, which set him on his silly vampire traipse thereafter. His potential inclusion and absence would both raise questions about the story, assuming it even gets to SCII or stays at all on-rails by that point.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There was a also a really big memory card bug that wiped data from other games, which soured a lot of folks's experiences. I was lucky enough to never encounter that bug, nor know enough about the gameplay exploits/balance issues for those to cause me any chagrin.
Honestly, my biggest issue with this game is the memory card bug, which thankfully can be solved by having a dedicated memory card (since they're cheap now).

This was my biggest issue with the game, I went through several corrupt memory cards whilst playing this not really knowing what the hell was causing it, assuming my memory cards themselves were broken. :( Besides that I love the game, I've heard a lot about the balancing in the Arcade Edition, and whilst not a deal breaker for me it sounds nice.

I totally expected a current gen version of SCIII after II Online Edition, surprised Namco never did it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I was an Arthur main in SC3 actually. It was nice having access to entirely new movesets unique to CAC's that the original cast did not have, it made my CAC more original.
Come at my Strife boy
Yeah Mi-Na's hard to play. You like footsies? Good cause that's all you doin.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SC3 was the pinnacle of the series. It had everyone (up to that point) plus the first (And best) version of CaS with additional movesets each represented by a unique character. A story mode. And then another weird and interesting single player mode on top of that. I feel like Namco is never going to be able to top that. It feels like they have no desire to.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
SC3 was the pinnacle of the series. It had everyone (up to that point) plus the first (And best) version of CaS with additional movesets each represented by a unique character. A story mode. And then another weird and interesting single player mode on top of that. I feel like Namco is never going to be able to top that. It feels like they have no desire to.
The current fighting game community doesn't want any of that. Someone earlier in this thread said the only single player mode they want is training mode and maybe arcade.

That's how we got SFV.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

What really hurt to hear was that no one at Bamco even wanted to make SCVI. Sucks to have a great IP in the hands of a company that has no passion for it.

Still hopeful that Okubo will do a good job, but I won't be surprised if it's slim pickins, content wise.

Also, I loved all the concept art in SCIII's museum. Another sign that they put a lot of care into the game.

Soul-Calibur-III-Character-Creation.jpg

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current fighting game community doesn't want any of that. Someone earlier in this thread said the only single player mode they want is training mode and maybe arcade.

That's how we got SFV.
Well it's not just the single player stuff, it was also the insanely wide roster that said screw cutting anyone, basically anyone who has been in these games is in this game.

But regardless, fuck that. The "current fighting game community" is such a small segment of the people who actually buy these games. I've never been a hardcore player going to tournaments, but I've still stuck with this series since the beginning. And there's lots out there both like me, and new to the series that do care about a robust create a soul mode as well as more single player content.

I would say that the way SCV turned out combined with every indication that this game will have a very small roster is making me keep my expectations low, big time.