• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Just trying to make a engaging story mode that is also exciting for a more casual crowd. We all know how much people like loot.

Could always allow armor pieces to be smelted into some gem that can be equipped so you can keep your regular outfit or insert the gems into other pieces to override their stats or something

That is actually an awesome idea. In the game mode in which gear effects stats. Being able to turn useful gear into gemstones for transmog armor would be awesome. That way people can keep their favorite designs without losing their gear stats.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Well it's not just the single player stuff, it was also the insanely wide roster that said screw cutting anyone, basically anyone who has been in these games is in this game.

But regardless, fuck that. The "current fighting game community" is such a small segment of the people who actually buy these games. I've never been a hardcore player going to tournaments, but I've still stuck with this series since the beginning. And there's lots out there both like me, and new to the series that do care about a robust create a soul mode as well as more single player content.

I would say that the way SCV turned out combined with every indication that this game will have a very small roster is making me keep my expectations low, big time.

May Namco completely ignore the wants of the current fighting game community then.
Hey, I would love SC3 again, but I'm just saying.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Single player is super important to the initial sales of any fighting game, but character selection, balance and the tournament experience (viewer and competitor) are important for longevity. We need a good combination of both, but I do feel if we're going to see a SC7 then the single player aspects of SC6 absolutely need to be some of the best in the series.

This is coming from someone who will never touch any single player mode other than training (unless I'm forced to do so in order to unlock stuff).

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Calibur III has always been my favourite for the best single player offerings in the series. I was baffled to hear people didn't like it.

I didn't like it because it killed the competitive scene that I loved. That's really the only reason - it's more an emotional reaction than a rational one.

Unfortunately, the bugs and balance issues drove away the competitive side of things. Those parts were fixed in SCIII Arcade Edition, but that never saw widespread release (I'm sure I've said it a dozen times in this thread already, but SCIII home content + AE fixes & additions + Online + 4k neeeeds to happen).

Reading through and realizing how much I didn't do in SC3 (like, I don't think I ever played Chronicle of the Sword), this would be really cool. I'd love to give the single player in SC3 a chance. I was surprised how much I enjoyed weapon master in SC2 when I finally played it when HDO came out.

I miss Edge Master Mode :(

Absolutely, it was fantastic. I'd love to see a modern interpretation, with the character specific paths, weapons, the whole deal.

That, and then online conquest, would be my dream port from a content standpoint.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I want a new character that uses Brass Knuckles as their weapon. That way, we can get a boxer archetype into Soulcalibur.

330px-Abraham_Lincoln_bodyguard%27s_brass_knuckles_04725u_original.jpg

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Weapon selection
Create a Soul with extra movesets
Expansive Chronicle of the Sword mode

I just want SC III in this gen :(

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Weapon selection
Create a Soul with extra movesets
Expansive Chronicle of the Sword mode

I just want SC III in this gen :(

The sad part is that I won't be the least bit surprised if none of that makes it in. I would love to see it, even though I won't play any of it, but won't be surprised at all if it doesn't make it in.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current fighting game community doesn't want any of that. Someone earlier in this thread said the only single player mode they want is training mode and maybe arcade.

That's how we got SFV.

FGC aren't the ones preventing SC from getting content. It's Namco's treatment of the series.

Says a proud member of the FGC who wants this game to have every single player mode possible and knows it won't have jack shit.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, but let's not pretend that trying to appease the FGC isn't a factor.

Why would it be? Were they trying to appease the fgc when they put out a single player game on Wii? A f2p version of the game with waifu bullshit?

It's pretty funny reading fighting game threads where FGC either doesn't matter or matters so much developers ruin games trying to appeal to an audience that probably accounts for less than 10% of the game's total figures. They've even gone out of their way to say they don't have tournament plans for the game. If they were trying to appeal to the FGC, that'd be one of the first things they'd be throwing around.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
SFV is the only mainstream fighter that went all in on FGC because that's all they had to go with since the game was rushed out the door.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SFV is the only mainstream fighter that went all in on FGC because that's all they had to go with since the game was rushed out the door.

And for some reason people point at SF5 like it's the rule and not the exception. We acting like SC5 was supposed to appeal to the FGC when the last game went SF3 on people and cut out tons of characters that everybody, casual and competitive alike, wanted in the game? lol. SC4 supposed to appeal to the FGC with Starkiller, Yoda, and Vader? SC3 supposed to appeal to the FGC with more bugs than a run-down florida hotel?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
And for some reason people point at SF5 like it's the rule and not the exception. We acting like SC5 was supposed to appeal to the FGC when the last game went SF3 on people and cut out tons of characters that everybody, casual and competitive alike, wanted in the game? lol. SC4 supposed to appeal to the FGC with Starkiller, Yoda, and Vader? SC3 supposed to appeal to the FGC with more bugs than a run-down florida hotel?
Wait, you're assuming that I'm talking about the entire franchise and not just this recent release?

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you're assuming that I'm talking about the entire franchise and not just this recent release?

I'm pointing out that the last time the franchise appealed to the FGC was SoulCalibur 2. This one isn't any different. They've leaned hard on single player elements since they took the game out of arcades. Getting a decent fighting game out of a SoulCalibur game would be a happy accident.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Well, yeah, but let's not pretend that trying to appease the FGC isn't a factor.

Is it though? What design decisions seem focused on the FGC? The big system addition they're focusing on the most - reversal edge - is pretty clearly more of a casual machanic, designed to be flashy and an equalizer.

This argument against the "wants of the FGC" feels like an argument against a big straw man. It seems like all the FGC people in here say they want a bunch of single player content to help the game sell, so I'm not sure what appeasement you think they're asking for.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm what I'd consider a member of the FGC but I want this to have as much content as SCIII as well as an improved CaS and SE's Mission mode.

I know that of those three, only the second will happen and it'll barely.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Is it though? What design decisions seem focused on the FGC? The big system addition they're focusing on the most - reversal edge - is pretty clearly more of a casual machanic, designed to be flashy and an equalizer.

This argument against the "wants of the FGC" feels like an argument against a big straw man. It seems like all the FGC people in here say they want a bunch of single player content to help the game sell, so I'm not sure what appeasement you think they're asking for.
I guess I am strawmanning. I suppose I haven't paid as much attention to things as of late.

My bad.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm what I'd consider a member of the FGC but I want this to have as much content as SCIII as well as an improved CaS and SE's Mission mode.

I know that of those three, only the second will happen and it'll barely.

For real. Add everything. I want this to sell well so that it gets continued support and I don't have to worry about the series future. Have the most robust single player features ever.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wishlist is reasonable.

*Add everything
*Add everyone
*Includes cool armors from Dark Souls to the Create-a-character mode, including Ornstein, Astorias,Gwyndolin and stuff.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One thing can make SoulCalibur VI the new best in the series and that is the inclusion of... yes you guessed it right, the successor to the Holy Warrior.

The price of Justice. Patorokurosu Arekusandoru.

5g9TDV.gif

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Unfortunately, the bugs and balance issues drove away the competitive side of things. Those parts were fixed in SCIII Arcade Edition, but that never saw widespread release (I'm sure I've said it a dozen times in this thread already, but SCIII home content + AE fixes & additions + Online + 4k neeeeds to happen).
When SC2 HD was announced I was hoping that SC3 HD was to follow. Seems that it's not going to happen though.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm still so damn happy Taki is back. I realize now she was basically a shoe-in but I've been burned one too many times by sequels to not be cautious. I love she has her mask back, that really should be a constant of her main costume design. The kanji seals are a nice touch too. Also glad her art ditched the blimp boobs.

Also on the whole casual vs. pro thing... I think it's in the benefit of the game's longevity to appeal to the FGC so it can actually get spots at EVO and the like for years to come. But the priority should definitely be in loading it up with features for the casual crowd. CaW, character stories like SCIII, museum, and some sort of non-canon single player mode like Weapon Master or Edge Master. Ideally even something like Chronicles of the Sword, but that's super pie-in-the-sky.

One thing can make SoulCalibur VI the new best in the series and that is the inclusion of... yes you guessed it right, the successor to the Holy Warrior.

5g9TDV.gif
Literally the only character I don't want returning, unless he's in his AlphaPat mindset. His smugness isn't cool smug, it's just grating. That said if you really do like him I will be happy for your sake if he returns.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

5g9TDV.gif
I'd be down with this, or having one of Sophitia's male relatives or hell just some other random Greek dude taking the style.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally the only character I don't want returning, unless he's in his AlphaPat mindset. His smugness isn't cool smug, it's just grating. That said if you really do like him I will be happy for your sake if he returns.
I'm one of the few who actually liked his attitude, it made him standout from the rest of the cast.

Oct 25, 2017
I find the fact that Rothion's a stay-at-home dad while Sophie goes out fighting and adventuring to be refreshing. Plus there's no reason that every single background character needs to be a fighter. Rothion is nothing more than a blacksmith and a really really reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllly lucky boyfriend.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I want ZWEI to return as well, and get a nice buff.

Hold on, hold on, hold on.

ZWEI needs to return, yes. He also needs a buff, yes.

Do not give him a "nice buff" because then everyone will start playing him.

I did not stick with the lowest of the low tier during SC5 just so everyone can start playing him in SC6. No, no, no... he gets buffed just enough to make him a contender, and so enough people play him to secure a return in SC7, but not enough that everyone plays him and he becomes a regular on streams.

Yoshi can be broken though. I'm fine with that. Return his iMCF to SC4 levels of "fun" and we're good.

Jan 11, 2018
I did not stick with the lowest of the low tier during SC5 just so everyone can start playing him in SC6. No, no, no... he gets buffed just enough to make him a contender, and so enough people play him to secure a return in SC7, but not enough that everyone plays him and he becomes a regular on streams.

I like the way you think. :D

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I do like Pat, mostly for the moveset. Should've been a straight up villain. The dude was a little too over the line to be a believable "misguided hero". Was on an extreme power trip and reveled in it. I didn't buy his redemption.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see who (if any) of the SC5 newcomers make it into SC6.

I know ZWEI's chances are slim to none (please prove me wrong Namco), but I think Pat and more so Viola have a decent chance. At the very least it would be nice to have an aPat skin for Sets (if she makes it in).