• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Main problem is story mode has been consistently replacing traditional arcade modes.
Yeah, that is a problem. Story is typically a once through sort of deal, and that's if it's good like an NRS game. Others have been unbearably bad.

Just give us a few different towers, an actual boss, and a few still frames with text for an ending. For what we pay for games, it's really not asking a lot to have something to play outside of competitive.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of the SC5 characters, ZWEI and Viola are the most likely. They are both very different, ZWEI is old enough to not screw up the timeline, and Viola can pull out some magic explanation on why she came back in time. The fact she didn't get any scenario about her possible link to Amy works in her favour: they can still tell her story retrospectively.
I think they're more likely than Hilde or Setsuka to be in the base roster, even.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Out of the SC5 characters, ZWEI and Viola are the most likely. They are both very different, ZWEI is old enough to not screw up the timeline, and Viola can pull out some magic explanation on why she came back in time. The fact she didn't get any scenario about her possible link to Amy works in her favour: they can still tell her story retrospectively.
I think they're more likely than Hilde or Setsuka to be in the base roster, even.
Zwei's backstory does complicate his inclusion. Since he had amnesia, and was an outcast who was randomly saved by Ein shortly before he was killed, past Zwei likely wouldn't fight with Ein, and he could potentially have a very different personality.

Feb 24, 2018
For me, I want to see Cassandra to return since she was my main and fav and I always liked her more than Sophitia, though I would prefer her to have a more unique move set.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd hope every character from 4 that wasn't in 5 will come back, if only as an apology.
Though they' may do other dumb choices this time. "Enjoy Rock! But Hilde and Raphael are gone".

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I hope Hilde comes back and wields a chain flail with her teeth, along with her sword and spear. She could even do some sweet headbanging as part of a combo.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
What if

Hear me out

ZWEI is an amnesiac Grøh?

Then it's not ZWEI. It's one thing to make some move adjustments, but there's no point is saying ZWEI is in the game if he doesn't fight anything like ZWEI.

Namco did this with Jin in Tekken 4 and the backlash was huge. They ended up having to have two Jins moving forward because of it.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Hi guys. First post on Era but long time lurker since NeoGaf was in it's heyday.

Love the SC franchise since the first game (not SoulBlade) and SCVI has me at max hype levels. I'm loving the roster so far, see no problems with the graphics but I hope my main man Yoshi makes it in the final roster.
I feel the OP needs to be updated with the Proving Grounds and Indian port stages, both confirmed in the Sieg and Taki trailers.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Then it's not ZWEI. It's one thing to make some move adjustments, but there's no point is saying ZWEI is in the game if he doesn't fight anything like ZWEI.

Namco did this with Jin in Tekken 4 and the backlash was huge. They ended up having to have two Jins moving forward because of it.
I never said it was ZWEI

I'm saying ZWEI is Grøh

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys. First post on Era but long time lurker since NeoGaf was in it's heyday.

Love the SC franchise since the first game (not SoulBlade) and SCVI has me at max hype levels. I'm loving the roster so far, see no problems with the graphics but I hope my main man Yoshi makes it in the final roster.
I feel the OP needs to be updated with the Proving Grounds and Indian port stages, both confirmed in the Sieg and Taki trailers.

Yoshi is in. If he's not, we storm Bandai Namco HQ and inform them that mistakes were made.

I never said it was ZWEI

I'm saying ZWEI is Grøh

And I'm saying that won't cut it. It's a bad excuse not to feature ZWEI. I'm fine if ZWEI doesn't make it in (disappointed, but expected), but if they try to say ZWEI didn't make it because he's actually Groh, I would have issue with that.

But as others have stated, he's not, so it's all good.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I never said they wouldn't feature ZWEI. I feel like you think I'm taking a stance on this when I'm not.

Just a random idea I threw out there.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017

They still did it to Amy.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I never said they wouldn't feature ZWEI. I feel like you think I'm taking a stance on this when I'm not.

Just a random idea I threw out there.

Well if Groh was ZWEI then it's unlikely they'd have ZWEI in the game. We get Nightmare and Sieg, but I don't think Namco would give the same treatment to ZWEI lol. I wouldn't mind though. Whatever gets ZWEI in the game.

They still did it to Amy.

I don't think Namco has ever officially stated that Amy and Viola are the same character. We just all kind of assume they are.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I don't think Namco has ever officially stated that Amy and Viola are the same character. We just all kind of assume they are.
They never officially state it, but the interactions Viola has with the veteran cast during fights (and Raphael in particular) pretty much spell it out. Both characters having the same voice actors in both Japanese and English helps as well.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I don't know what it is but Viola, ZWEI and Groh are really uninspired from a design perspective.

I dunno, they phoned it in with those concepts and they also seem like they don't fit in the universe. It's like they are more modern looking or something.

Knowing Groh's origins as a nord, they could have done so much more.

Rant aside, his gameplay and weapon style are on point especially when compared to ZWEI/Viola which seem to have styles more closer to what you see in GG/BB.

I know it would be really hard to animate but a kusari gama style would make this franchise complete, for me at least.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Would be great.

What I think could be cool and unique is a Musket (with Bayonet) user.

Stabs with the Bayonet or strikes with the hilt.

One shot before he needs to reload obviously and he would have a reload stance from where he can do a shoulder tackle, kick or duck while reloading and he can reload in a more fancy fashion with certain grabs or as an ender of certain strings

On the Viola topic.

Really like the earlier designs of her final outfit
latest

The one in the middle at the bottom with the simple long gloves looks great. Remove the frills on the sides of her waist and just have the rest of that longer dress.

They really wanted that Amy like gothic lolita vibe with her final design

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
They never officially state it, but the interactions Viola has with the veteran cast during fights (and Raphael in particular) pretty much spell it out. Both characters having the same voice actors in both Japanese and English helps as well.

On the other hand, everyone assumed Uknown in Tekken Tag Tournament was Jun and thought it was "obvious" for years until it was revealed that she was supposed to be her sister.

Whoever Viola is, she's a much more interesting character than Amy though (if a bit broken).

They could always find some BS reason for him not aging much between now and SC5.

It's not just the age, but the entire appearance. Different eye colour, skin colour and hair colour.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I think could be cool and unique is a Musket (with Bayonet) user.
I used to think that too.
And then they added one to Samurai Spirits (Andrew in Tenkaichi) and god what a boring character. And it was made by pre-Examu, so these people knew how to design creative characters. But all they could come up with was stab-stab-slash-like-a-spear, plus a projectile from a gun that's not even stronger than the gusts of air Haomaru creates with his sword. I'm not sure there's much more to the weapon if you want to stick to the general design... And that's the game with a Heian-era robot.
In Soulcalibur, where the distance between characters is much reduced, there's risk the character would overlap with the spear/stick users. They could introduce a system like Marth, where the tip of the weapon deals much more damage than the shaft... As for projectile, Ezzio in SC5 was a good blueprint.

On the other hand, everyone assumed Uknown in Tekken Tag Tournament was Jun and thought it was "obvious" for years until it was revealed that she was supposed to be her sister.
Was she?
I thought TTT was Ganryu's dream, so she was just something he invented/dreamt of.

Jan 11, 2018
For all intents and purposes, she was Jun's younger sister in Tekken Tag Tournament. But since the game is non-canon they decided to scrap that idea when moving forward with Tekken 4. Us gamers did not know any of this until the release of Tekken 6, so many people assumed she was some incarnation of Jun (they even shared many of the same moves). The point being that Viola could be a similar case. We sadly never found out anything about her in SCV. For all we know she could be manifestation of something related to Amy, like her will. Or a sister. We won't know until Project Soul gives us more information.

But at least those speculations make sense. Even if Uknown wasn't Jun, or Viola isn't Amy it at least makes sense to make those comparisons. But Grøh being ZWEI? They've got nothing in common. The comparison is forced.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I think one thing is clear here guys... Namco needs to put ZWEI in Soul Calibur VI.

While they're at it, make sure Yoshi gets in too. I'm doing this for the community and not because I happen to play both characters.

Yeah that is true tbh xD Lets face it, Namco doesn't like letting anyone age, they did it in Tekken by having the Williams Sisters in Cryosleep and Kazuya and Lee dont look their age at all 0.o

Isn't the current Kazuya just a recreation of the original using his DNA? Therefore he wouldn't be the same age as the original Kazuya?

Tekken 4's story is a little foggy and I don't feel like Googling it right now lol

Kasumilover69

May 10, 2018
Richmond Hill, Georgia
I think one thing is clear here guys... Namco needs to put ZWEI in Soul Calibur VI.

While they're at it, make sure Yoshi gets in too. I'm doing this for the community and not because I happen to play both characters.

Isn't the current Kazuya just a recreation of the original using his DNA? Therefore he wouldn't be the same age as the original Kazuya?

Tekken 4's story is a little foggy and I don't feel like Googling it right now lol
I believe so although I'm not sure tbh XD iirc Kazuya's body is restored so he's still his former self but it required the scientists or whomever to reanimate him

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Zwei's thuggish fighting style. His damage output was pathetic, but mixing knife-fighting with sucker punches and head-butts was fun. Not my favorite character by a large margin but he was so... Unique that it'd be a shame to not be able to play him every once awhile in VI.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Zwei's thuggish fighting style. His damage output was pathetic, but mixing knife-fighting with sucker punches and head-butts was fun. Not my favorite character by a large margin but he was so... Unique that it'd be a shame to not be able to play him every once awhile in VI.

With meter ZWEI had good damage. The only buff ZWEI needs is the ability to vary his Ein calls. In SC5 you always knew what Ein attack was coming because you couldn't mix them up at all. Change that and he becomes a much better character.

I'd take a little more frame advantage on block or general safety, but beggers can't be choosers.

Kasumilover69

May 10, 2018
Richmond Hill, Georgia
Yeah, he's hot and doesn't zip his pants. But I think his play style is interesting and should be expanded on. Both he an Viola added something to the roster variety, both in terms of gameplay and visually, and should be brought back.
Yeah, out of all the newcomers they brought unique designs and styles since they weren't based on existing veterans xD I also hooe amy returns but idk how that'll happen since in SC1 she's like 5 since in SC4 she's about 9-10 >.>

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, out of all the newcomers they brought unique designs and styles since they weren't based on existing veterans xD I also hooe amy returns but idk how that'll happen since in SC1 she's like 5 since in SC4 she's about 9-10 >.>

Since it is a soft reboot, she could easily be added - she doesn't have to be same age as she would have been in the old timeline.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
With meter ZWEI had good damage. The only buff ZWEI needs is the ability to vary his Ein calls. In SC5 you always knew what Ein attack was coming because you couldn't mix them up at all. Change that and he becomes a much better character.

I'd take a little more frame advantage on block or general safety, but beggers can't be choosers.
His frame data is by and large terrible. He's also extremely linear.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At that stage, they could also add a new character that would be Viola's teacher and some random with the same power as ZWEI. Their movesets are more important than the characters, for these two (as long as the new designs are a hot guy and a hot girl).
It would also do something neither did: flesh out the characters by giving some background.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
His frame data is by and large terrible. He's also extremely linear.

I agree, and I'd love better frame data, but if they just give me variations on his Ein calls I'd be happy enough.

I could already do pretty well with low tier SC5 ZWEI. I made it through most of my Evo pool in winners just using ZWEI. I didn't have to switch to Yoshi until I got to the Japanese player in winnner's finals of my pool.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
So what you guys think. New build at Combo Breaker? There will obviously be a new build at E3 and with CB pretty close before, there just has to be a new one