• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Never played Cassandra after 2, but didn't she get de-cloned during 3 or 4?

Speaking of, I never really look into the clones of the game. I think Rock is a worse Astaroth, and Mina is a worse Kilik...? Did Amy get anything to set her truly apart from Raphael? Dampierre from Voldo?
What about the kids from 5? Did they have anything their parents/master would lack?
Most, if not all, of the clones were pretty diversified in SC3. Rock is the most similar character, being Astaroth with less moves, but even he has some different shit I think.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonkey posted his impressions from BAM:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...-of-soul-calibur-6-from-battle-arena-mel.html

He verbalized my biggest issue with the game so far:

Reversal Edge

I hated this thing before I got to play the game and for the most part I still do. The flashy presentation of the Reversal Edges themselves try to look cool but by the 2nd or 3rd times I had to sit there and watch the animation, it got old really fast. They really disrupt the momentum of a match because during 'your turn' when attacking, your attack gets absorbed and you're stuck in this long wager cinematic and potentially more if you clash and trigger the 2nd phase.

Add the other cutscene which has to play when activating soul charge along with the already 10 second long supers there are an incessant amount of interruptions mid-game breaking the flow of the match.

Both the soul charge and reversal edge cutscenes need to be at least 5x faster. I've posted this before but I wish it was instant like in Soul Blade:

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Wonkey posted his impressions from BAM:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...-of-soul-calibur-6-from-battle-arena-mel.html

He verbalized my biggest issue with the game so far:

Add the other cutscene which has to play when activating soul charge along with the already 10 second long supers there are an incessant amount of interruptions mid-game breaking the flow of the match.

Both the soul charge and reversal edge cutscenes need to be at least 5x faster. I've posted this before but I wish it was instant like in Soul Blade:

Yeah, this is a real concern, especially since RE also seems potentially very strong. Party Wolf put together an analysis that I won't be able to find on a phone, but I read it as RE not only being functionally similar to GI as a defensive option, but also the single best way to build meter. Since meter is really important, because soul charge is really good, RE ends up being a big part of the game.

I hope this ends up being rebalanced or sped up, because if nothing changes, once people understand how good RE is, it could really mess up flow.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Reversal Edge doesn't seem great.

SC has always had plenty of defensive options. Movement plus guard impacts (and later on Just Impact) and throw breaks in addition to standard blocking always seemed like enough. If they wanted to they could have brought Just Guard back, and leveled it out with Guard Meter so that the defense wasn't too over powered.

SC's beauty is in its simplicity. A lot of options without too much complexity. Critical Edges are a welcome addition in my book, and the new Soul Charge seems pretty solid. SCV bogged things down too much with heavy reliance on meter. Turned it into SF4.

SC6 seems to be paring a lot of that down, but Reversal Edge seems counterintuitive to that notion. That's just me and based on what I've seen, as I haven't played any of it yet.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't judge on the utility of Reversal Edges but to me they just take waaaay too freikin long.

And from the videos I've seen so far I'm really liking how they've implemented soul charge from a gameplay perspective but the stupid cutscene that has to play every time someone activates it has become excruciatingly obnoxious. I don't know why they did this... imagine if in Tekken 7 a cutscene had to play every time someone initiated a rage drive.

My ideal wish is for everything to happen naturally on the screen without relinquishing control of the players. Since it's unlikely for that to happen at least speed them up exponentially.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had a chance to sit down and really look over the Yoshi trailer. It doesn't really show anything. We get his intro and win animations, a new launcher that's almost certainly unsafe, two throws, a RE and a super. He seems to have one new Tekken move that seems to be adv on block, but has enough push back that it may not matter.

I'm also not a fan of his design, but I didn't like any of his designs in SC5 either. Hopefully his alt is better. Very glad Yoshi is confirmed, and hopefully he's playable at E3 (and Namco provides sticks).

At this point I'm expecting at least three characters announced at E3 or this is likely to be a very small launch roster. We still need at least one more new character and another guest character is possible as well, but there are a good number of series staples that we don't have yet. Getting a little concerned, but hopefully E3 kicks the marketing up a notch.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully his alt is better.

I think that's a very generous assumption. Namco stopped offering default alternate outfits in vanilla versions since Tag2. I highly doubt they'd bring it back in a franchise that gets even less funding. Any sort of unique attire would probably be locked behind paid DLC or the customization system.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
The only SC game I've played is SC2 and even that sparingly. Can anyone tell me how they "de-cloned" Sophitia and Cassandra?

Is one more offense oriented while the other defense?

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a very generous assumption. Namco stopped offering default alternate outfits in vanilla versions since Tag2. I highly doubt they'd bring it back in a franchise that gets even less funding. Any sort of unique attire would probably be locked behind paid DLC or the customization system.

Eh... I still look at Tekken and SC as two different franchises. So what happens in Tekken doesn't necessarily directly impact SC. At least I'm hoping that continues. We'll find out at some point (maybe E3?), but I would be surprised if we lose alt outfits for each character.

The only SC game I've played is SC2 and even that sparingly. Can anyone tell me how they "de-cloned" Sophitia and Cassandra?

Is one more offense oriented while the other defense?

I'm not an expert on either, but they're very much separate characters now. Cassie has a lot of shield attacks and almost an entirely different moveset compared to Sophie.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... I still look at Tekken and SC as two different franchises. So what happens in Tekken doesn't necessarily directly impact SC. At least I'm hoping that continues. We'll find out at some point (maybe E3?), but I would be surprised if we lose alt outfits for each character.

You'll get alts in the end. But like in Tekken I'm betting they just won't be readily available off the bat. There will be some sort of gateway to get to them like an unlock through some kind of in-game grind to make it available via CAS or paid DLC.

The main thing which makes me sure of this is that already SC6 has a system to change the color of the default outfit during mirror matches. This was never done before and only started in Tekken Tag 2, the same game when Namco first started abandoning default alts.

So following the current pattern, in tournament streams these outfits you see is all you'll get unless CAS creations will be allowed.

Last edited:

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
You'll get alts in the end. But like in Tekken I'm betting they just won't be readily available off the bat. There will be some sort of gateway to get to them like an unlock through some kind of in-game grind to make it available via CAS or paid DLC.

The main thing which makes me sure of this is that already SC6 has a system to change the color of the default outfit during mirror matches. This was never done before and only started in Tekken Tag 2, the same game when Namco first started abandoning default alts.

So following the current pattern, in tournament streams these outfits you see is all you'll get unless CAS creations will be allowed.

Yeah that is true. In the past they didn't have alt colors. You simply couldn't select the same outfit once the other person locked in if I remember correct?

Ugh... that sucks. Hopefully you'll be able to unlock them without some ridiculous grind or paid DLC. I usually ignore the CaS other than changing colors occasionally, so hopefully that's not where the alt costumes are located (if they're even in the game).

Oh well, might be stuck with less than stellar looking Yoshi. Hopefully he hasn't lost his iMCF (or got it nerfed again).

ZWEI please...

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I am concerned all the footage we're getting of Kilik and Mitsu will get them nerfed before launch. Well... I'm not concerned because I don't play either characters, but I'm sure Kilik/Mitsu mains should be concerned lol

The thought has crossed my mind. I wince a little every time Mitsu wins in a showcase match. This happened in SC3, Demo Mitsu had a totally fair, not broken level 1 soul charge guard crush kB and a level 1 SCUB 66A+B, and both were gone from the final release, it was sad.

On the other hand, if they balance based on the random number generator method like they did for the SC5 patch, maybe they'll get buffed!

Last edited:

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
The thought has crossed my mind. I wince a little every time Mitsu wins in a showcase match. This happened in SC3, Demo Mitsu had a totally fair, not broken level 1 soul charge guard crush kB and a level 1 SCUB 66A+B, and both were gone from the final release, it was sad.

On the other hand, if they balance based on the random number generator method like they did for the SC5 patch, maybe they'll get buffed!

Look man, Viola didn't have enough tournament wins, she needed the buff!

ZWEI please devs... I'll even take the nerfed post-patch version.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Maxi looks like Maxi, which is not ZWEI.

I am expecting at least one more new character that isn't a guest character. But they could go the Tekken 7 route and just give us 2-3 more guest characters. I think E3 will shed a lot of light on the direction they're taking here.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this means that Soul Calibur 6 will have a big showing at E3, at least bigger than just "One more character reveal, release date and premium edition announcement".
I'd be surprised if they're still not talking about features yet at one of the biggest game media gatherings of the year. Unless it's a late 2018 release, then they could wait until Gamescom maybe, but this seems like the most likely place.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm thinking guest characters will be featured heavily in the DLCs, it's a smart way to get people to keep talking about the game.

I could see Alloy, Bayek or Aya, for some characters that could fit from recent games that were popular. For anime I have no idea, I'd surprise people with something like Tetsuo, Balsa from Seirei No Moribito, or Claire from Claymore. Maybe some Marvel or DC character, any idea?

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Popping Geralt front and center during publicity at E3 would certainly give this game a decent boost in terms of interest.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I'd be surprised if they're still not talking about features yet at one of the biggest game media gatherings of the year. Unless it's a late 2018 release, then they could wait until Gamescom maybe, but this seems like the most likely place.

8wayrun competitive folk have been requesting it for quite some time and I have a hunch that team battle mode might be in.
I also expect them to release a story mode/single player trailer during e3 with release date at the end.
Please

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Talim is one of the next ones to be announced.

It was nice to see Maxi there in all his glory.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking guest characters will be featured heavily in the DLCs, it's a smart way to get people to keep talking about the game.

I could see Alloy, Bayek or Aya, for some characters that could fit from recent games that were popular.
If guests were in DLC I'd be surprised if 2B wasn't included. Never played Nier myself, but she and Geralt were the most requested characters before Geralt's announcement. Aloy is a Sony character, and I don't see them going platform specific for dlc so she's probably out. Nier also wasn't on xbox but that was a development decision, not a contractual one. And if they were gonna do a deal to do Assassin's Creed again, they might as well just bring back Ezio. It might not make as big a splash as someone new, but the work is like 80% done already and a returning guest would be something new for the series. He's not new, but he's still the most recognizable "face" of the franchise.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I feel Talim will be saved as one of the last to be announced to generate hype/clicks/etc.

That or not announce her at all and keep her a surprise to discover in game but that is a bit of a risky move.

Either way they still have Astaroth, Voldo and Cervantes to go.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want the next reveal to be someone new tbh. Cant be going just by old farts all the time.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I'm still confused by the lack of a release date. Unless this is a September/December release? They should've announced it earlier if it's summer, and I really hope they aren't stupid enough to release this in October/November.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Raphael makes it . He's alaways been one of my favorites and I did not like what they did to him in V
Raph has been a mainstain since his introduction. I feel like the chances of him missing this game are zero.

Raphael, Cervantes, Lizardman/Aeon, Astaroth, Voldo... those are the ones left that I am positive will be in. They're always in.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

I could see Alloy, Bayek or Aya, for some characters that could fit from recent games that were popular. For anime I have no idea, I'd surprise people with something like Tetsuo, Balsa from Seirei No Moribito, or Claire from Claymore. Maybe some Marvel or DC character, any idea?

If we get an anime guest character, Zoro is far more likely IMO. Ignoring the rumors, Namco already has the license and there's a new One Piece game coming.

Popping Geralt front and center during publicity at E3 would certainly give this game a decent boost in terms of interest.

Would it though? He was announced back in what... March? I'd much rather see something new and just have Geralt playable in the E3 build.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we get another guest character revealed at E3 (unless they're holding them for DLC). At the very least, we need someone who is either completely new to the series, or very unexpected to make it in. Almost every reveal so far as been someone who had a 99% chance of making it in anyway. Sieg was probably the biggest curve ball, and he's a series mainstay.

If they announce Asta, Voldo and Cervy at E3, alongside a release date, that would probably be the worst possible showing for the title (within reason).

8wayrun competitive folk have been requesting it for quite some time and I have a hunch that team battle mode might be in.
I also expect them to release a story mode/single player trailer during e3 with release date at the end.
Please

Really? I know people like Team Battle, but I would think casuals would want it more than people at 8WR.

I wonder if Talim is one of the next ones to be announced.

It was nice to see Maxi there in all his glory.

I hope not. We all know she's coming. Give us someone who is unexpected. Even a SC5 character would generate more chatter than Talim or anyone else who we pretty know is making it in (or would be shocked if left out... sorry Lei).

If they don't have Talim at E3 then they don't know what they are doing.

I don't believe the rumors, but announcing Cloud, Seph and Tifa would generate way more hype than Talim. She's popular, but expected.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe you meant mainstay xD
Yes, I did.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we get another guest character revealed at E3 (unless they're holding them for DLC). At the very least, we need someone who is either completely new to the series, or very unexpected to make it in. Almost every reveal so far as been someone who had a 99% chance of making it in anyway. Sieg was probably the biggest curve ball, and he's a series mainstay.

If they announce Asta, Voldo and Cervy at E3, alongside a release date, that would probably be the worst possible showing for the title (within reason).

I think Zasalamel was the "biggest curve ball". No one expected him to be one of the earlier reveals or a guarantee for the game. There's still heavy doubts about any other characters that originated in SC3 or later.

I also don't think Astaroth, Voldo, and Cervantes would be awful reveals. We know at this point most of the reveals left will likely be mainstays. That's just a reality. I'd definitely like 3 at once. Preferably this would be accompanied by a ton of single player and other mode info, including Create a Soul -- also hopefully with some unique movesets for CaS.

Honestly though I believe that we'll see a new character at E3. Maybe the rumored Siegfried's/Groh's dad or Maxi's lover. Either way, something new... alongside a bunch of mainstays. I'm not sure there will be another guest for the base game since we know the boxart just features Geralt. But I wouldn't be surprised to see more guests as DLC in the future, like what happened with Tekken.