• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_p34ejhP4aH1usrgjso4_540.gif

Just the nature of Soul Calibur as a weapon fighter with fluid 3D movement, with a Horizontal/Vertical/Kick/Guard/Throw make it very easy to follow.

The weapons/attacks leave trails for visibility and readability, and walls and ring outs are inherently easy to understand the dangers of.

Even as you step up a complexity level to
Big Fiery slow Unblockables, Blue Break attacks that damage guard, leading to a big Guard Crush where the screen slows and goes purple and green, to the bright Green flashes of Parry attempts the game is giving you the information.

Pair it with great sound cues you can enjoy the game without knowing the matchups or deep cuts in the command list.

Now I will say number notation in commentary, isn't newbie friendly to be fair, and there is some of the trappings of modern fightery, such as the meters, install states, Reversal Edge mechanics that might confuse, and Azwell generally as a character (Boo!), but overall I think it's a convincing package.

Now my point might be wrong but I'll never understand how Mobas are the most popular competitive game for spectators as I don't understand a thing, but if you haven't I urge you to give Soul Calibur a shot.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I find the depth of field effect kind of distracting, personally. But otherwise I like it, yeah.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I've got your back OP.
I'll buy an argument that Tekken might be better in different ways (and for some people) but SCVI is criminally undervalued for how dynamic and hype the matches are.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately Soul Calibur seems to be off stream now, however Tekken is on.

I def think it's much harder to read beyond a level of "player 1 hit player 2 more so he wins" than Soul Calibur.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't play fighting games, I find Tekken to be the most watchable. I like that the fights are simple 1v1s and the screen isn't constantly filled with a ton of visual noise. Soul Caliber is definitely up there though for the same reasons. Fighters like MvC, BlazBlue, and DBFZ are usually just way too insane for me to keep up.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised to see the usual Tekken favoritism anytime someone says something favorable about Soul Calibur.
Unfortunately Soul Calibur seems to be off stream now, however Tekken is on.

I def think it's much harder to read beyond a level of "player 1 hit player 2 more so he wins" than Soul Calibur.
It'll be back at 12 AM EST on the Evo1 stream.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree, for couple of reasons.

Side stepping is a lot more difficult to understand in Tekken (and movement in general)

Oki is more complicated

Characters styles are less obvious and pronounced.

But Tekken is extremely watchable absolutely
that isn't a problem for the basic watchability, there's a lot less noise with Tekken 7 when you're watching a match. It's a a better viewing experience whether or not you know the systems at play

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what I'm looking at with any given MOBA.

Do you play them?

I can understand what's happening in most MOBAs because I played League of years and the basic concept is the same in all or most of them ~ guys are fighting each other and trying to destroy the Nexus equivalent.

I obviously understand fighting games at a surface level in the sense that "these guys are fighting each other", but I don't appreciate what's truly going on because it's a genre I've always found pretty boring conceptually (probably because I'm not a very competitive person in general).

I've seen this video floating around the internet for years and don't understand why everyone is so excited because all I see is some characters punching and kicking each other. Obviously I get that it's supposed to be impressive, but if you showed me the video without the background hype I wouldn't know I was supposed to feel that way.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Saw my local Meijer has this for only $10, I'm not really a fighting game guy but I might have to snag a copy.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Do you play them?

I can understand what's happening in most MOBAs because I played League of years and the basic concept is the same in all or most of them ~ guys are fighting each other and trying to destroy the Nexus equivalent.

I obviously understand fighting games at a surface level in the sense that "these guys are fighting each other", but I don't appreciate what's truly going on because it's a genre I've always found pretty boring conceptually (probably because I'm not a very competitive person in general).

I've seen this video floating around the internet for years and don't understand why everyone is so excited because all I see is some characters punching and kicking each other. Obviously I get that it's supposed to be impressive, but if you showed me the video without the background hype I wouldn't know I was supposed to feel that way.

I do not play MOBAs, no.

If not driven to compete in them, then I suppose I could understand someone having no real interest in fighting games, though still can't relate to considering them "boring conceptually". The differences between them and how they revolve around adapting to the ways other players think makes them anything but boring to me.

As for the video you linked, if you're unfamiliar with the mechanics of 3S and therefore aren't aware of the timing necessary to use parrying properly, let alone the skill and concentration required to parry a multi-hit super on the edge of death regardless of whether it hits or is otherwise blocked before countering to win the round instead (the hype being the result of the sheer improbability of such a thing happening in an actual match), then it would only be natural not to truly get it.

A lack of familiarity with how MOBAs work mechanically has pretty much everything to do with why I don't know what I'm looking at when watching them.
Tekken has become like the hivemind "best game". People love glitchy looking backdashing and 30% juggles I guess lol.
Though I don't hate Tekken, I can definitely say that it never clicked with me no matter how much I attempted to get into and comprehend it for myself over the years. Competing 3D fighters like Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive, yes (shame about what a disappointment DoA6 is coming off of 5:LR), Tekken, not so much.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Soul Calibur is pretty great, OP, but I find Tekken much more fun to watch. It's really explosive and dynamic and it's really easy to follow if you don't play fighting games. Even if you won't appreciate the finer details, it's still a load of fun. It's always a favourite in all of my Evo watch parties (which has a 99% casual population and me)

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I think it's Tekken. I don't even play Tekken and it's always fun to watch.

I actually played Soul Calibur VI on the other hand and don't really like watching it.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I agree completely. SC > Tekken in terms of watchability. The moves are more pronounced, and the combos doesn't last for more than 5 seconds average.

Also lol at the watchability of Mobas. I play those games and even I can't understand shit specially during team clashes.

HMC

Aug 24, 2018
When I used to manage an EB back in the day, I had two regulars that would come in and kick everybody's ass in SC. We would tell them about each other but they never met up. Then one Saturday one of them was in the store playing, and the other dude walked in. It was like high fucking noon. The employees and a few other regulars were SO hyped. I actually closed the gate and let these two go at it, and it was freaking amazing. I had more fun watching these two than I ever had playing it myself. With streaming being a thing nowadays, you can watch great players all the time, but back in the day, that shit was an epic event.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
I agree...Soul Calibur and Tekken are the most enjoyable to watch while Smash Bros is the most enjoyable to play

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The combination of really varied character playstyles (something Tekken kinda struggles with) at and fantastic balance goes along way. Hell the latest Japanese tier list has 3 tiers in it: S, A+, and A.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
SC is pretty fun to watch ngl but I don't understand what the fuck is going on in the game. I rarely enjoy watching games or FGs where I don't understand anything. That's why I vastly prefer watching Tekken because I regularly play it and can truly tell the mind games being employed at any time which makes it even more exciting.

I also don't believe anyone can truly appreciate the level of skill on display in Tekken games without at least having played the game once. How can anyone get hyped for the slo mo scenes if they don't understand crushing? I read a comment that called Korean backdashing "janky backdashing" which I thought only reinforced my argument. People who don't play Tekken but watch it are perceiving it through a completely different lens than actual Tekken players. But I guess that goes for most FGs.

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
This person gets it. Xianghua best FG character <3

It's absolutely true that it's the most watchable FG, along with Tekken 7 (I know because I never played it, and understood everything when I watched tourneys).
Most of my friends IRL aren't into fighting games a lot, for the very reason that they have a hard time understanding what happens at any given moment, why this command can hit here and not there etc. Might be also my fault because I kept making them try hard fighters this gen (MVCI, DBFZ, SFV, Smash), and also most of them already played the previous SC when we were younger. However with SC6, I never hear a complain of "why did this hit me/No, I dodged this" type.
As OP perfectly described it, the visuals and audio queues in this game are perfectly done, most impressive is that they are as useful for casual players and beginners as they are for confirmed players.
Also the new additions in S2 make the game even more watchable and tense than before.
Can't wait to go home tonight and catch up with the SC6 Evo Japan tourney :)

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I used to think Street Fighter was the most watchable but then I got into Tekken 7 and just damn it's so fun to watch. Nothing really competes for me. I don't know what it is about SF5 but something was lost going from 4 to 5 from a viewer perspective.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I randomly clicked on a Soul Calibur tournament last night and watched a little bit and arrived at the same conclusion. Being able to see the spacing and range from attack trails was so nice.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I agree definitely, SCVI is such a well rounded, easy to get into, hype to unexperienced viewers (although technicalities might make it seem harder than it is) and it's sad it has such a small community.

Most people will say Tekken 7 for good reason, at the very top it's an amazing game to expectate, however, for me it's very slow and you can see a lot of bullshit and cheese at lower levels, it just soured me on the entire experience. It's got a particularly toxic and gatekeeping community (somehow up there with Smash levels of toxicity at times), game's hard as it is to get into. Plus there's Leroy now.

SC just hits that spot of fast paced flashy movement, beautiful visuals, footsies, great variety of characters with a small (relatively) but unique roster that's balanced pretty nicely, constant care put into with beefy updates. If they'd fix online a bit more it would be near perfect.

Edit: I should clarify, SCVI is awesome and I agree out of the modern and recently released fighting games it's the best, I do still think Melee is just outright the best fighting game to watch, so much so it's still relevant almost 20 years later.

Last edited:

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, you just like it the best. It's Tekken. IDK what is even happening in this game.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably still SFV. 2D, clear animations, not too fast paced.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see Tekken 7 Top 8 with so many Leroys. Apparently, that's bad. I'll be sure to watch SC6 Top 8 when I have free time

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not for me, I literally can't watch (or play) one of my formerly most favorite fighting game series for more than a couple of minutes anymore, because of the awful background blur. It makes me dizzy. I wear glasses, because without I see the world blurry like that, and I guess my brain thinks I am not wearing my glasses and tries to adjust. On PC you can at least turn that stupid effect off, but sadly not on consoles. :/