• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Guard break has blue lightning. Red fire is for unblockables. They can be useful but generally not very often. There is also no universal Unblockable input like there is for Guard break.
I think they may be referring to Reversal Edge with the red lightning thing.
Is guard brake the one with the blue lighting ? Or red ? I'm trying to work out how to do the red attack thing
If the red attack you're mentioning is the one I think you mean, then that's a Reversal Edge. The universal input for that is B+G, holding it down allowing you to delay it to deflect attacks for longer or go for chip damage against someone blocking. Be advised that RE cannot deflect guard break attacks (blue lightning).

For the attacks with flames mentioned in the post before mine, those are indeed unblockables. As mentioned, those have no universal input and vary according to character, with the way to avoid them also differing according to which one and who's using it. Easiest way to deal with them is the new Reverse Impact mechanic added in Season 2, which is 6B+G (forward B+G) and costs half of a Soul Gauge meter but lets you Guard Impact anything.

Last edited:

KiLLaDeZo

Banned
Mar 27, 2018
Thanks for the info guys. Yes I meant the red fire unblockbles. I was playing somebody who kept spamming it , think it fired like a gun , was pretty annoying .

Is there a way to work out how to do this move with all the different type of characters? Has it got a specific name in the moves list ?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Thanks for the info guys. Yes I meant the red fire unblockbles. I was playing somebody who kept spamming it , think it fired like a gun , was pretty annoying .

Is there a way to work out how to do this move with all the different type of characters? Has it got a specific name in the moves list ?
In the move list they have a label in red saying UA on them. That said generally you don't want to be using them because of how slow they usually are. The guy with the gun you were fighting was probably Cervantes, you can easily sidestep that Unblockable (and many others)

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Did people here play through Hilde's Soul Chronicle? There's one thing they do with the character which is, uhh, a bit interesting. I guess the character just can't avoid controversy.

She marries her cousin!?!

It's kind of easy to miss, but very early in the story it's mentioned that Wilhelm is the son of George's brother. Probably best to casually ignore the bit about Hilde's backstory in SC5 where it's mentioned she has kids.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Did people here play through Hilde's Soul Chronicle? There's one thing they do with the character which is, uhh, a bit interesting. I guess the character just can't avoid controversy.

It's kind of easy to miss, but very early in the story it's mentioned that Wilhelm is the son of George's brother. Probably best to casually ignore the bit about Hilde's backstory in SC5 where it's mentioned she has kids.
Damn I didn't realise that while playing. I think I need to play it again. That's a bigggg yikes

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

Hilde is european royalty, stuff like that happened historically and frankly, happened a lot worse than what was depicted in Hilde's story mode

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Hilde is european royalty, stuff like that happened historically and frankly, happened a lot worse than what was depicted in Hilde's story mode
Weren't those marriages usually decided by other people with political power as motivation? The story implies she does it because that's her true feelings. Either way, I feel like it's a bit out of place for the series. The series is partially based on history, but I feel like it avoids any controversial topics from real history. So I'm surprised they did this, and I'm also surprised they did it in such a casual way. It's not even painted as something bad.

It reminds me of the SC5 ending, where I was uncertain if the developers tried to show sibling affection between Pyrrha and Patroklos or if they tried to imply they had romantic feelings for each other.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Weren't those marriages usually decided by other people with political power as motivation? The story implies she does it because that's her true feelings. Either way, I feel like it's a bit out of place for the series. The series is partially based on history, but I feel like it avoids any controversial topics from real history. So I'm surprised they did this, and I'm also surprised they did it in such a casual way. It's not even painted as something bad.
Depends, there's been times when nobles have resorted to... less than consensual and very incestous methods in order to secure viable heirs

either way, Soul Calibur has had some darker things, setsuka being a prostitute and pyrrha being sold into slavery, for examples
a consensual union between the two in hilde's story is honestly pretty mild for her situation and this series

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Depends, there's been times when nobles have resorted to... less than consensual and very incestous methods in order to secure viable heirs

either way, Soul Calibur has had some darker things, setsuka being a prostitute and pyrrha being sold into slavery, for examples
a consensual union between the two in hilde's story is honestly pretty mild for her situation and this series
Yeah, but those dark things are shown as being bad things, while the game does nothing to indicate there's anything wrong with Hilde's marriage.

But anyway, I'm not super bothered by it, I just found it really out of place for SoulCalibur's style of storytelling.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
So...
does anyone have any particular tips for getting in against Hilde? I main Zas and I'm feeling like most of his good longer ranged stuff is outreached by hers.

I'm trying to play a long con and baiting out some of her more unsafe spear moves but most of the hildes I've run into are smart enough to not just get sidestepped and countered.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 DLC characters are on sale on psn (US region), though just single characters/packs and not the season pass.

KiLLaDeZo

Banned
Mar 27, 2018
Guys , is it just me or is this game fairly laggy in online vs mode (Xbox), have never had such experience on street fighter or any game for that matter

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man I swear this game hates me. Nightmare and Siegfried are my most hated characters to fight and I guess the game decided it was best to make me fight this one Siegfried character 3 times in a row. We didn't even rematch. The game actually went into matchmaking and paired me up against the same guy.

This game needs the DOA6 option that allows you to disable matchmaking to pair you up against someone you just fought.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game , like just about every game made by Japanese devs, needs a lot of netcode improvements.

That one, wifi detection/avoidance are big ones I'd like to see.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I would be more bothered by the massive adjustment to points lost if not for the fact that the margin for error is still exceedingly larger for ranked in this game than SFV and all of its bullshit.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe that was intentional. I don't know if this idea came to Okubo, but I know at CEO in 2018 I offered feedback about the ranked system, saying that it needed to do one thing most of all "don't make people want to quit the game, that's more important than being competitive", and was told that this was the idea.

I think they did a good job of this. On PC in particular ranked is just used as a quick match mode, and I'm fine with that. I honestly believe ranked isn't a needed mode in fighting games at all outside of a self-sorting by skill (I think the optimal system is a hidden ELO used for matchmaking)

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fighting game ranked mode is just skill based matchmaking if it worjs and matches you up with players of a similiar rank. It doesn't really mean anything else until fgs in general do what other competitve games are doing and what MK is doing now and they have proper ranked seasons.

Like you can bet the League fighter will have all this stuff. Special skin if you reach x rank in a season maybe some unique intro or win poses etc.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Would've been nice if they added quick matches for casuals, but given the fact that they found a passable balance with rewards and penalties, ranked will suffice. Unlike SFV, which I'm pretty sure I'm looking at staying away from until the next balance patch (which I don't expect to fix much of anything given past history and how many problems it has at its core, the inclusion of V-Skill 2 for everyone potentially making it worse depending on who gets what), I indeed want to keep playing SCVI for the sake of it.

Also, looking through Kilik's movelist after a session against someone playing him, I noticed that there seems to be no way to actually guard his Lethal Hit 4B after he GIs you (you can try to GI back/RI, but it seems difficult if you didn't input it in advance). Furthermore, that move isn't even listed as a Lethal Hit in the first place.

EDIT: Seems easier to GI/RI in training than online, and it wasn't a particularly bad connection either.
EDIT2: Oh, it IS mentioned as a lethal hit and I just didn't pay any attention... I should just call it a night already.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fighting game ranked mode is just skill based matchmaking if it worjs and matches you up with players of a similiar rank. It doesn't really mean anything else until fgs in general do what other competitve games are doing and what MK is doing now and they have proper ranked seasons.

Like you can bet the League fighter will have all this stuff. Special skin if you reach x rank in a season maybe some unique intro or win poses etc.

That is going to lead to a lot of salt, ragequits, and just folks quitting the game. For a smaller game like SC, keeping players happy is a higher priority than competitive integrity.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Gating cosmetics behind player ability would be very ill-advised, yes. And since even the likes of DoA6 has patched in additional intros/win poses for free in spite of having overpriced and uninspired season passes for DLC outfit bundles, an unwelcome idea to be giving developers.

It's bad enough that Tekken 7 isn't making frame data free.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know where I can find a character difficulty guide? I'm interested in a few characters based on design alone but I want to know the amount of work I'll need to put in before I fully commit

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Does anybody know where I can find a character difficulty guide? I'm interested in a few characters based on design alone but I want to know the amount of work I'll need to put in before I fully commit

The sites not loading for me right now, but I suspect that soulcaliburcommunity.com might have some decent character guides and walkthrus.

Off the top of my head I'd rate the characters difficulties as:

Pick up and Play
Nightmare, Sophitia, Siegfried, Geralt, Mitsurugi, Seong Mi-na, Groh

More of a challenge
Zasalamel, Xianghua, Maxi, Cassandra, Astaroth, Kilik, Raphael, Talim

Hardcore
Azwel, Ivy, Yoshimitsu, Cervantes, Tira, Taki, Voldo, 2B, Hilde, Amy

Note that this is more relating to gimmicks, gameplay style and execution requirements - not how "high tier" they are.

Oct 25, 2017
The sites not loading for me right now, but I suspect that soulcaliburcommunity.com might have some decent character guides and walkthrus.

Pick up and Play

More of a challenge

Hardcore

Note that this is more relating to gimmicks, gameplay style and execution requirements - not how "high tier" they are.
Nice, thank you. I've been interested in trying Mi-na, Cassandra, Xianghua, and Hilde

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Nice, thank you. I've been interested in trying Mi-na, Cassandra, Xianghua, and Hilde

Mi-na is definitely a great starter, as she's considered very strong and has great range. Her "gimmick" is that the tip of her halberd does more guard damage / lethal hit chances when you hit your opponent with it, so she's great for teaching you to prioritize proper spacing.

Cassandra is also considered pretty strong ATM with some crazy good moves. Her "divine force" gimmick powers up some of her moves and she can sacrifice some her own guard gauge to do certain moves. You can play her straightforward but you'll go further by using the extra stuff.

X is also in a really good spot, with one of the best CEs in the game. But you'll need to practice her stance transitions and know which moves to bust out in which situations in order to really play her well.

Hilde is so new that it's hard to get a read on her just yet, but her playstyle has been simplified from her hold "charge move" system. You'll still need to practice the moves, and perhaps rebind your keys, in order to activate her Regalias, which is key to her big stuff.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Pick up and Play

More of a challenge

Hardcore

Personally, I'd say that Maxi goes into that last category as a result of his buttons being the least straightforward in leading to constant stance changes, not to mention his constellation gimmick (not a particularly intuitive character to play). 2B and Amy I'd say would go no higher than that middle category, about the same for Cervantes.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Personally, I'd say that Maxi goes into that last category as a result of his buttons being the least straightforward in leading to constant stance changes, not to mention his constellation gimmick (not a particularly intuitive character to play). 2B and Amy I'd say would go no higher than that middle category, about the same for Cervantes.

That's fair enough. I could see Maxi being considered one of the more difficult characters to play.

2B could be moved as well. You can likely get a lot of early success with 2B by mashing since she's so aggro - but she leaves herself SO open I think if you're not playing her well you're just giving your opponent free openings.

Amy I contend is expert level because if you're not using her roses to level up, and therefore knowing which situations where you can score a rose, then you're really only playing 2/3rds of a character. Her followups and extensions change too based on her levels, which is a lot to take in for a beginner.

Cervantes is pure execution - if you're not able to pull off an instant Geo de Ray at least 75% of the time when you need it then you're missing a big part of his damage. He also shares one of Taki's challenges - some of his moves have huge travel distance, which can leave you in an awkward position like staring like a dumbass over the edge of the ring.

MisterLuffy

Oct 25, 2017
So I want to play as Ivy but I'm embarrassed to use her due to how revealing she is. I went to check out customization mode but it won't let me edit Ivy's clothes other than changing hair styles. Is there anything I could do to change her clothes? Makes me wish characters have alts like soul calibur 2.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
So I want to play as Ivy but I'm embarrassed to use her due to how revealing she is. I went to check out customization mode but it won't let me edit Ivy's clothes other than changing hair styles. Is there anything I could do to change her clothes? Makes me wish characters have alts like soul calibur 2.
Uhhhm what? You should be able to change her outfit pretty easily. Try looking for an option in the customisation menu that says something like equipment. I haven't been in there in a while so I can't remember the option clearly but it should be there.

MisterLuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhm what? You should be able to change her outfit pretty easily. Try looking for an option in the customisation menu that says something like equipment. I haven't been in there in a while so I can't remember the option clearly but it should be there.
Thank you so much. I don't know how I missed this lol

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if fighting games will ever not have a trash rage quit system.

Its so fucking easy. You quit you lose and the other person gets the win and the points for the win. Rq also gets a penalty and can't queue up for x minutes

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, lost connection ahead of match point during a rematch against a player thanks to this game's garbage netcode and now I probably look like some lame ass rage quitter (not the first time this has happened, so I sure as hell don't appreciate when the game picks such timing). Granted it was already a spotty connection at a supposed 4 and they had the nerve to put me up against an S-RANK Taki, but it's not like I lost much with that gulf in rank.

But while I'm at it, I do appreciate said S-rank Taki bothering to rematch me, but screw the D-rank one after who was a one-and-done. Also, screw all of the BS they've given Taki at this point, especially that goddamn low knockdown kick (don't know if she always had that wake-up kick too, but screw that move too).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Soul Attack for Cass still worthless... delightful.

Still, Talim's 44A+B has somewhat more of a point now that it's an additional OTG option and got a damage increase, and SC 2BAB actually combos on a regular hit now.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So. I play this on PS4 and have S1 and S2... But primarily just play Cass.

I have the PC version due to HumbleBundle but never activated it. I see that Cass is only $3 right now on Steam... Is the online active enough to play it also on there or should I just keep to PS4?

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The online is active on PC. Especially at the deeper end of the pool, I think in terms of high-level players, a majority play on PC because it's a much better experience. (PC 5-bar onine is actually equal or maybe slightly superior to PS4 offline)