• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The online is active on PC. Especially at the deeper end of the pool, I think in terms of high-level players, a majority play on PC because it's a much better experience. (PC 5-bar onine is actually equal or maybe slightly superior to PS4 offline)

Hm... After playing on PC not sure about that lol.

It was so hard for it to find me a match on PC that it put me against literally the highest ranking Groh player on PC... for my very first match.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Could just be me being terrible at the matchup, but for some reason every Raphael I run into ends up being godlike without fail.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So the matchmaking issue was not really solved right? Since I got back to SC6 I've been using the method that used to give you the quickest matches, aka searching while in arcade mode. Still seems to be the most vamuable method now, but I still frequently get matches with A to C ranks. It was like that before and I'm kinda ok with it, but I just want to make sure there is no other, more viable option now :)

Edit: I'm on ps4 if that matters

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So the matchmaking issue was not really solved right? Since I got back to SC6 I've been using the method that used to give you the quickest matches, aka searching while in arcade mode. Still seems to be the most vamuable method now, but I still frequently get matches with A to C ranks. It was like that before and I'm kinda ok with it, but I just want to make sure there is no other, more viable option now :)

Edit: I'm on ps4 if that matters

Wait has that been a thing?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It has, and still is. The only thing different with ranked is the game taking much bigger chunks of points for losing than it used to, especially when it actually does match you within the same rank. As annoying as that is, it still tends to provide more margin for error in that regard than SFV.

Unless you were referring to the arcade mode thing, which is news to me and I wouldn't have expected to be any more reliable than searching during training (which I stopped using after it kept returning network errors).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It has, and still is. The only thing different with ranked is the game taking much bigger chunks of points for losing than it used to, especially when it actually does match you within the same rank.

Wait but aren't they saying that they're searching for a ranked match while playing arcade is faster than normally searching for a match? Or am I misunderstanding them?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Wait but aren't they saying that they're searching for a ranked match while playing arcade is faster than normally searching for a match? Or am I misunderstanding them?
Took me too long, but I edited a part in for that. Never tried it there, but yeah, given it not helping much with training mode, keeping expectations low.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Well I read it back when the game came out at the beginning, and it does work as I usually can't finish an arcade match without getting matched, whereas from the online menu or training it takes longer. Tried again when I got back to the game for season 2, and it still finds match faster.

Took me too long, but I edited a part in for that. Never tried it there, but yeah, given it not helping much with training mode, keeping expectations low.
It really works, never timed it, but as you say searching in training often gives errors, and takes long when it works, whereas in arcade I usually can't go through a full match without being matched. The online menu for searching takes forever, I gave up on looking for matches there ^^

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ranked is really bad when you're facing a higher risk, and you get half as much for winning as you lose for losing. That has to be fixed. The incentive for ranked in SC6 is to stomp on new players as much as possible, which is so backwards.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Ranked is really bad when you're facing a higher risk, and you get half as much for winning as you lose for losing. That has to be fixed. The incentive for ranked in SC6 is to stomp on new players as much as possible, which is so backwards.
What's especially frustrating is managing to beat a high ranked player once in a blue moon, only to discover that your victory on someone 10+ ranks above you is worth like 24 points :( At least They made it so I don't loose much when I get crushed by a high ranked player.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Even with typically having a much larger cushion ahead of a potential rank down, it is indeed the case that the game takes away entirely too many points for losing while not awarding enough for winning. Definitely much more incentive to keep playing lower ranked players, because you'll be hundreds if not thousands of points down in no time on a bad day if you stick to ones of the same rank (especially the exact same rank and number).

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right now the three folks I want to ask Okubo for are this:

- rank mode changes to be reverted to the start of S2. I'd rather see ranks given out like candy than folks wanting to one and done all day. I think the last change hurt the game
- I want backwalking out of pressure vs short-range characters to not be an instant win in some matchups. This is ridiculous. Give those characters effective anti-backwalk tools. (Cervantes and Sophitia are the worst offenders, Tira's pretty bad also)
- I'd love to be able to select music based on opponent.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So I double checked to back up my claims , and I can confirm that matchmaking works much faster from arcade mode than any other way. Still falling against any player from S to G though ^^
2 days ago something I never witnessed happened lol. I was E1, and was matched against an E5 Siegfried. I beat him 23 times and he kept rematching ^^ Finished at rank C3 I think, I started to goof around and try some frivolous moves, so I lost the 24th match, and he instantly left (this I'm more used to). The matches were great and he was close to win in a lot of matches, so it was a very good session :)

- I want backwalking out of pressure vs short-range characters to not be an instant win in some matchups. This is ridiculous. Give those characters effective anti-backwalk tools. (Cervantes and Sophitia are the worst offenders, Tira's pretty bad also)

Even as a Xianghua player, I gotta agree with this one, especially for Cervantes and Sophitia, even though my weakness to hard guesses is also to be blamed ^^

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
After trying out searching for ranked matches while in arcade for myself, I can say that it worked for me too and absolutely found me matches far more quickly than either the network menu or searching in training ever did. No idea why it works that way, but I'm gonna keep searching that way going forward. Thanks for telling us about it.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
After trying out searching for ranked matches while in arcade for myself, I can say that it worked for me too and absolutely found me matches far more quickly than either the network menu or searching in training ever did. No idea why it works that way, but I'm gonna keep searching that way going forward. Thanks for telling us about it.
You're welcome :) what's funny is that I'm almost sure that I got that info from this thread back at release

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone expect a physical edition this year with seasons 1 and 2 on disc?
They still have yet to ever do such a thing with Tekken 7, a much bigger game that receives far more resources as Bamco's favorite and is three seasons in now. Very unlikely that SCVI will be any different.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Awesome :) Is it gonna be uploaded after the fact on the evo japan channels or somewhere on youtube with the EN commentators? Won't be able to watch before tonight.
Seems hard to tell with Soulcalibur, Bandai Namco certainly didn't use to care about uploading them like they do with Tekken and Dragonball but maybe because it has a world tour they might have in on their own channel.

At least you can just watch the Twitch VODS too that are in english anyway.

Need to go back and watch it, caught the last two matches before top 8 and they were great!

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Some of the Evo commentators mentioned a region vs region exhibition on Thursday where apparently PartyWolf had some mindblowingly sick play. I haven't found it yet in either Twitch or YouTube, if anyone happens to discover it feel free to post it here!

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Seems hard to tell with Soulcalibur, Bandai Namco certainly didn't use to care about uploading them like they do with Tekken and Dragonball but maybe because it has a world tour they might have in on their own channel.

At least you can just watch the Twitch VODS too that are in english anyway.

Need to go back and watch it, caught the last two matches before top 8 and they were great!
Yeah it'on Bamco channel on youtube too, watched part 1 of the pools, going to watch the rest now

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah definitely need to get season 3.

except I haven't really played much of it lately :/

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
What Bandai Namco needs to do, is give us back Li Long & Hwang, the original Nunchaku & Chinese Blade/Chinese Sword masters!

If they can have characters such as Seung Mina/Kilik, Sophitia/Cassandra & Siegfried/Nightmare in the same game in which they basically use the same weapons as each other, then we can have Li Long/Maxi + Hwang too.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
At this point just release godamn everyone, I want this to be Soulcalibur Ultimate.

Also someone beg BN and CD Project Red for more Geralt customization options and the Witcher gear in CAS damnit.

In other news Haohmaru looks sick. I wonder what gear will come with him.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Am I suffering from a Mandela effect? I was sure you can set life bars to not recharge in training mode,but the only options I see are for meters?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I remembered not being able to set life bars to specific levels.

Also, pretty sure I hate Raphael and everyone who plays him at this point.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I must have imagined that.

On another note, I'm quite sad about the way the EU online tournament is set up. I was signed up, but turns out you need to check in between 4.15 and 4.30 PM on a thursday to be really registered, even though the tournament supposedly lasted till 10.30. Like ok what about work Bamco? I was on my way back home at 6.30 when I received the notificatiin on my phone that the tourney was over :(

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously tho, it's the one and only reason I kind of regret selling my Vita. SC BD was a good game. I got 100hrs at least in quick battle mode. That's why a NSW port of SC VI would blow me away, especially since it's UE4.

I'd love it, but I can already see the rage pumping in my veins when my Xhiangua starts strafing by herself in the middle of a game while I'm on my commute to work ^^

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't even get a Switch port of DBFZ to run smoothly, with T7 running poorly on XB1 as well, both also being UE4 games with Bamco as the publisher. Quite positive that a Switch port of SCVI wouldn't leave a positive impression.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
They couldn't even get a Switch port of DBFZ to run smoothly, with T7 running poorly on XB1 as well, both also being UE4 games with Bamco as the publisher. Quite positive that a Switch port of SCVI wouldn't leave a positive impression.
So you're saying that gone are the days of Project Soul's technical prowess? BD looked great to my eyes considering it was a PSP game for crying out loud. Other than that each game looked amazing for it's time, and even if it has some naysayers, I feel SC VI looks great. DBFZ and Tekken are not Project Soul, right?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Think the general consensus is that SCVI could look better. I think it looks great but I never played 5 and I think people see a lot of similarity between the two, like the graphical leap wasn't huge even though it's a generation apart.

SCVI does have the wierd character select slowdown, there's something strange going with the engine. It also does horribly with any framerate drops, causing slowdown for both players if it occurs.

I think they could work it though, and I think it would do wonders for the games popularity, but for whatever reason they just aren't interested.

I wonder if something as simple as not wanting to comprimise the controls for joycon is an issue they just don't bother moving past. I really with the left Joycon was a proper Dpad I never play any fighting games habdheld because of it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying that gone are the days of Project Soul's technical prowess? BD looked great to my eyes considering it was a PSP game for crying out loud. Other than that each game looked amazing for it's time, and even if it has some naysayers, I feel SC VI looks great. DBFZ and Tekken are not Project Soul, right?
SCVI doesn't necessarily look bad, but it's certainly not up to the standards of a game made for eighth-gen consoles, with budget issues effecting not only modeling but extending to the recycling of customization assets from last gen as well. With DBFZ, the character models that Arc made for Guilty Gear Xrd and now for Granblue Fantasy Versus are more detailed than what DBFZ had (tradeoff for having more of them in DBFZ), the visuals for attacks arguably being more to look at in DBFZ than Xrd while GBVS is better in that regard than both. Tekken is its own team within Bamco, and they actually get proper budgets unlike Project Soul, yet even the character models in a cross-gen game like DoA5:LR were more detailed than what T7 uses (shame about how half-assed the production values in DoA6 are).

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
The issue is that we've been spoiled by how advanced and absolutely gorgeous previous iterations of the game were. Soul Blade, SC2, SC 3, everytime they were so insanely pretty.
SC6 is a very beautiful game that runs great with very nicee visual effects, but we've been so spoiled by the huge leaps between previous iterations that it can be understood why one could go "it's ok but not crazy great looking" regarding SC6.
But yeah Sc6 is a very very pretty game

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I can agree with the obvious budget constraints. I mean, the arenas in VI are sooo barebones compared to previous iterations with only a few standing out. Still, they acknowledged they were a few and will include more in time. Another asian themed one (besides Haohmaru's one) and a moving raft stage would be most welcome.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I can agree with the obvious budget constraints. I mean, the arenas in VI are sooo barebones compared to previous iterations with only a few standing out. Still, they acknowledged they were a few and will include more in time. Another asian themed one (besides Haohmaru's one) and a moving raft stage would be most welcome.
The difference between the vanilla stages and the Nier one are a really good sign for the the next stages they will create :)