• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like D5 might be my limit with Xianghua. I keep winning and losing back and forth so I'm not progressing much. Sigh.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It looks like D5 might be my limit with Xianghua. I keep winning and losing back and forth so I'm not progressing much. Sigh.

I said the same thing with Talim but they buffed her a little too much and I am almost C4 now. Speaking of nerfs and buffs though.... some info on the January patch here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulCalibu...ect_soul_livestream_dec26th_summary_the_devs/

...I thought Talim was getting nerfed but devs say she has trouble getting in when I really dont find this to be true. If they buff Ivy though I think I'm done with this game. She's fine the way she is now.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please leave Talim alone. Idk what they did to her but she's been kicking my ass more than ever.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rather liking Talim being good again after being anything but in III and IV, but I don't want her to be too good so that people start bandwagoning. Hoping Project Soul gets it through their heads to chill with the constant rebalances (it would be nice if Harada were to clarify for them that that's exactly the sort of thing that discourages competitive scene growth).

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to post in that Reddit thread. It was a mistake.

So many people think Azwel is OP, but they have almost no knowledge about the character. When I explain, I just get down voted. Fun times...

I guess we know who the devs are listening to.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Azwel pre-patch was OP. Most of it was his backwalk.

I don't think Talim is strong enough/scrubby enough to get bandwagoned, even if she's likely getting more buffs in the next patch. (then again so are Talim's worst matchups)

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the days when if something seemed strong, you just played against it over and over again until you figured it out. SC2 X and Ivy were crazy strong, so you learned the matchup through pain and repetition.

Way too much of a mindset nowadays where if something's strong, you deal with it by whining loudly and waiting on the nerf to come.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm rather liking Talim being good again after being anything but in III and IV, but I don't want her to be too good so that people start bandwagoning. Hoping Project Soul gets it through their heads to chill with the constant rebalances (it would be nice if Harada were to clarify for them that that's exactly the sort of thing that discourages competitive scene growth).

Talim is absolutely ridiculous right now. I read they'd be nerfing her natural combo off of 6bb wind sault slash but now it seems like devs say she has trouble getting in. I don't find that to be true tbh and Talim is insane at whiff punishing in this game. If they give her armour or something to get in I'm gonna laugh.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Talim only has trouble getting in against characters with long range weapons like Ivy, Mina or Sieg/Nightmare as it should be. Against other characters she's fine since they gotta get close too. The difference now is that once she finally gets in on these characters, she can really do some damage whereas before I'm guessing she still struggled.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm really beginning to lose my patience with people not rematching when they win in Ranked. It seems to be a constant thing now and I don't understand it.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really beginning to lose my patience with people not rematching when they win in Ranked. It seems to be a constant thing now and I don't understand it.

Assuming they're not receiving 0 or very little RP from winning, they usually don't wanna risk losing. It's fucking stupid. Even weirder is when you tie it up and they leave. You underachieving bastards.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming they're not receiving 0 or very little RP from winning, they usually don't wanna risk losing. It's fucking stupid. Even weirder is when you tie it up and they leave. You underachieving bastards.
This could have possibly be less of an issue if they didn't make casual and room matches one and the same thing in this. Of course, I say "possibly" because Street Fighter V has a problem with cowardly or arrogant one-and-done winning players even in its casuals (hell, there are people who rage quit during them sometimes when they lose instead).

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
When someone winquits on me and I encounter them I usually winquit back and enjoy the very salty messages.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So... much... 2B. Only had limited luck starting out with Mi-Na, so I went back to Talim with better results.

Finding ranked matches seems to take less time in standby.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm enjoying the game right now, since I got it for christmas. There is a lot to like about it, but man, what's going on with the stages? It feels like I'm just fighting on the same 3 stages over and over again, even if there are more than 3 of course.

And what's making it even worse, is that super heavy depth of field(?) effect, where everything behind the characters is super blurry. So it just feels like "stage with green background", "stage with blue background" and so on. Unfortunately there is no option to reduce or remove the blur. At least not on console.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

That's true. If they're significantly higher rank than me and only getting 1RP, that's fine and I don't begrudge them, but in other circumstances it's incredibly frustrating. Folks who bail on a loss though, I don't blame. I go to rematch on the vast majority of losses but sometimes I just can't handle fighting anymore Siegs or Nightmares.

Also, as of right now I'm within the top 100 ranked Voldo players worldwide on PS4! That doesn't mean a whole lot since I know the RP system is more about time investment than actual skill, but still, cool to see.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
That's true. If they're significantly higher rank than me and only getting 1RP, that's fine and I don't begrudge them, but in other circumstances it's incredibly frustrating. Folks who bail on a loss though, I don't blame. I go to rematch on the vast majority of losses but sometimes I just can't handle fighting anymore Siegs or Nightmares.

Also, as of right now I'm within the top 100 ranked Voldo players worldwide on PS4! That doesn't mean a whole lot since I know the RP system is more about time investment than actual skill, but still, cool to see.
Nice! Top 100 is rank what exactly(letterwise)

Jan 11, 2018
I said the same thing with Talim but they buffed her a little too much and I am almost C4 now. Speaking of nerfs and buffs though.... some info on the January patch here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulCalibu...ect_soul_livestream_dec26th_summary_the_devs/

...I thought Talim was getting nerfed but devs say she has trouble getting in when I really dont find this to be true. If they buff Ivy though I think I'm done with this game. She's fine the way she is now.

- They feel the danger Taki poses to herself near the ring edge is a problem and they looking into making her more 'trustworthy' in this context.

About time!

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After fighting a few 2Bs, I kinda lost interest in buying her. I just can't stop using Xianghua. I even betrayed Mina for her.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
After fighting a few 2Bs, I kinda lost interest in buying her. I just can't stop using Xianghua. I even betrayed Mina for her.
I kinda feel the same even though I still want to put time with 2B, but the last couple of days while playing her I was feeling like I was missing out not playing Xianghua. I think I'll play 2B a bit more to really engrave stuff in my muscle memory then switch back to my true main.

Happy holiday everyone

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

What they should do is buff feet first Mantis Crawl for Voldo as well to off set his head first nerfs. Please don't hurt him too bad Namco; his neutral game is already quite weak and balance-wise I'd say he's a good place.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
What they should do is buff feet first Mantis Crawl for Voldo as well to off set his head first nerfs. Please don't hurt him too bad Namco; his neutral game is already quite weak and balance-wise I'd say he's a good place.

After that first patch I have zero faith in Namco properly balancing this game.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I have no idea how to counter voldo. It seems high ranked voldo will always kick my arse and I just never learn anything even from the runbacks.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
It's 2019 and people still teabag after a 3-2 fight. Serves me well for letting him change his controller when he stopped moving for 10 sec in the first round, I guess.

I fought my first 2B, she looks fun ! I would have bought her if I was still playing the game regularly.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I'm enjoying the game right now, since I got it for christmas. There is a lot to like about it, but man, what's going on with the stages? It feels like I'm just fighting on the same 3 stages over and over again, even if there are more than 3 of course.

And what's making it even worse, is that super heavy depth of field(?) effect, where everything behind the characters is super blurry. So it just feels like "stage with green background", "stage with blue background" and so on. Unfortunately there is no option to reduce or remove the blur. At least not on console.

Agreed. I can excuse the DoF effect but the stage number is a bit on the low side, especially compared to past iterations. Sure, some might have time of day transitions and I presume this is all due to low budget but still. 11 stages is meh by my standards and makes the game boring even if the fighting mechanics are better than the past games.

Man, I really need to get back to this game. I've left it on hold for the longest time due to life and other games. Haven't even finished the SP modes and seeing how 2B is the first char. from the season pass doesn't make me go back to it. No offence to 2B fans, but I dunno, while she's a cool character (finished and loved Nier:A) and fits somewhat in the universe (I guess), I'm not feeling the urge to pick it up right now. I know she'll sell a lot of copies and I can understand this kind of fanservice but yeah, I'll pick up the season pass on BF or something, especially if the other characters are really Cass and Amy (barf).
Another sword&board and rapier user would seem meh to me especially since they have much better options in Hilde, Lizardman (axes) or dare I say it, even a revamp of ZWEI.

Oct 25, 2017
At least we seem to be getting stages with the DLC additions...looking at you tekken 7 season 2. 6 characters 1 stage...

wait...there is no guarantee we get stages with the other DLC characters huh...shit...

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
At least we seem to be getting stages with the DLC additions...looking at you tekken 7 season 2. 6 characters 1 stage...

wait...there is no guarantee we get stages with the other DLC characters huh...shit...

The stage select screen is lopsided right now, which seems to indicate we'll get at least one more stage. Far from a confirmation, but it's something.

I'm more concerned with matchmaking and game balance. My last six matches (as a C3) have been against the same D1 twice, an F4, two G4s and a G1. One of the G4s I got a triple perfect on. That can't be fun for anyone.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The stage select screen is lopsided right now, which seems to indicate we'll get at least one more stage. Far from a confirmation, but it's something.

I'm more concerned with matchmaking and game balance. My last six matches (as a C3) have been against the same D1 twice, an F4, two G4s and a G1. One of the G4s I got a triple perfect on. That can't be fun for anyone.

I agree that this needs to be fixed. Makes it impossible to continue ranking up sometimes. Also, i'm sure it's intentional but we start losing a ton of points once we hit c even if we lose to a c.....

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that this needs to be fixed. Makes it impossible to continue ranking up sometimes. Also, i'm sure it's intentional but we start losing a ton of points once we hit c even if we lose to a c.....
Oh? That's a shame, I was hoping it would stay more balanced than how SFV's ranked punishes losing, where every loss is a massive drain on points leading to see-sawing between ranks becoming common while attempting to move up (the stress of that has a lot to do with why I often just stick to casuals in that game, but even then people can be stupid and treat casuals the same with the typical one-and-done crap and rage quits of all things).

Unrelated to any specific rank, I still have very little idea what I'm doing against even a nerfed Sophitia, and I could do without ever seeing another 2B anytime soon with the flood of them there now (even with nerfs, that still might not happen).

Last edited:

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh? That's a shame, I was hoping it would stay more balanced than how SFV's ranked punishes losing, where every loss is a massive drain on points leading to see-sawing between ranks becoming common while attempting to move up (the stress of that has a lot to do with why I often just stick to casuals in that game, but even then people can be stupid and treat casuals the same with the typical one-and-done crap and rage quits of all things).

Unrelated to any specific rank, I still have very little idea what I'm doing against even a nerfed Sophitia, and I could do without ever seeing another 2B anytime soon with the flood of them there now (depending on how her nerfs go, it may or may not happen).

I don't think it seesaws that much. My highest character is C3 and I've never dropped in rank or seen anyone drop in rank.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it seesaws that much. My highest character is C3 and I've never dropped in rank or seen anyone drop in rank.
Ah, that's good. So far, this game has been decent about how it's handled points, so it sounds like it scales things properly (as opposed to SFV nuking players from orbit after only a few or even one loss, depending on how recently they ranked up).

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Still no news or hint regarding the CaS parts ?
When they were going over the patch last week they said it'll be a mix of old and new parts, possibly some old outfits, and will also include music. The music has been in the files since launch, so we knew it was coming in some form.

They said finishing that DLC up will be their focus after the January patch releases and it should be soon after that.

They also said there's a possibility of some free CaS DLC in the future, but they haven't solidified those plans yet.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Right, I totally forgot about that empty Music Select menu! I hope the make 2 or 3 new stages down the line, too.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't get decent matches in ranked. I've played a few matches today on my C3 and the highest rank I've fought was an F2. Pretty useless at the moment.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm struggling getting to c4 because the ranking system punishes me. I swear I lose 50 or more per loss against any c and d1 players.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
If I fight one more G rank or lower........

Really hope the patch adresses this. Realized how extreme it can be for lower ranks when 2B came out and my G5 2B at that point faced more C and D ranks on that day than a character with who I am in D rank..

I don't mind as I enjoy playing against higher ranks more when learning a character but someone who is in G with his main character and keeps getting paired with players much higher in rank is just going to get frustrated and probably stop playing which... just further increases the chance of lower rank players getting matched against higher ranks as the player pool shrinks at lower ranks and from the higher rank view point it just feels like a waste of time as you just wanna play actual matches instead of just stomping someone who might have just started playing

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has this been answered?

Why is 2B DLC Stage not in Ranked mode? Is that a glitch they haven't fixed yet?

I never get to see her stage in Ranked mode. I thought I was unlucky, but am pretty sure it is not part of the Rotation.

Anyone?