• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So a friend recently noticed during his matches that sometimes a constelation would appear out of nowhere, like the one in this picture:
z44MTUo.jpg

Is that the result of some attack or is just some weapon effect?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So a friend recently noticed during his matches that sometimes a constelation would appear out of nowhere, like the one in this picture:
z44MTUo.jpg

Is that the result of some attack or is just some weapon effect?

That's a Maxi thing. As I understand, you get a 'star' sometimes when doing one of his stance transitions. Get 7 stars and he gets enhanced properties to some of his moves. Lethal hits and whatnot. The constellation is new, added as a way to check your progress.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Season 2?! With six characters?!? Heeeell yeah! Best of all, it means another year of support!

I'd really like setsuka and hilde, but I hope we get at least one new character. Preferably two. I want some new faces!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Star is Dampierre le Magnifique, shining bright above the tier list when he's released.

If Setsuka is in, I'm back.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, okay, okay... so... hear me out...

STONE = ST ONE = one = Ein = ZWEI
YELL = Howl = Ein = ZWEI
STAR = Moon = ZWEI
SNOW = Snow Wolf = Ein = ZWEI
REPTILE = Rep Tiles = Stand = ZWEI
YELLOW = ??? = ZWEI

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
My suggestions were adding Team Battle mode, changing "all region" so you can get matchmade with people choosing "same region" if you're in the same region, and more DLC (as a way to keep the game alive by an extended DLC budget).

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I told them not to balance around online play and to fix Azwel by starting with his launch version as a base, then lowering his damage output and nerfing his back step and Soul Charge to what they are now.

I also told them to add ZWEI.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
-More CaS pieces (Particularly for male characters)
-A buttocks slider
-Hwang, Rock, ZWEI, Algol, and Li Long added to the roster
-More stages
-A photo mode

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Frosty faustings was pretty good. Lots of online warriors showing up big time. Azwel taking it was nice, as was talim's first top 8 appearance.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

Alright, I'll direct and I've got the script ready, but I'll need a camera operator, a costume department, and at least a half dozen male models.

Last edited:

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Here's what I sent:
-More creation parts.
-Bring back all creation parts from SCV.
-Better creation parts collision and conflicts.
-Ability to choose which parts break when creating characters.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Frosty faustings was pretty good. Lots of online warriors showing up big time. Azwel taking it was nice, as was talim's first top 8 appearance.

As an Azwel player I thought Frosty was terrible. Sandman and AR15 got away with so much it was ridiculous. I train with one of AR15's locals and he is not a good player at all. The fact that he took 3rd at FF says a lot more about the [low] level of competition and the lack of matchup knowledge on Azwel than it does about anything else.

So frustrating seeing that top 8...

Also, I should note that AR15 is a top 5 online Azwel... and lags up a storm with even his locals. I really wish Namco hadn't gutted Azwel so people were forced to learn the matchup. I basically have no reason to play this game unless we get ZWEI (probably not happening). They gutted the only character I was halfway interested in because of online play and a failure by the community to learn the matchup.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Just started up SC6 and it downloaded a new patch (1.12). Hadn't heard anything about it, any idea what it changed?

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear all those "balance" patches weren't needed, the game had like 2-3000 players on Steam, the day the first "balance patch" came out that dropped to ~700 and now it's only ~350...

Doesnt help that that first patch broke lobbies and the last one the rest of the online (feels like 1-2 seconds input lag were added just because)

Really disappointed that Namco listened to the "nerf this, buff that" complainers, those weren't the majority, going by the numbers also objectively their demands were nonsensical...

Ah, well? Seriously sad, the game was so fun at release, I'm sure it could have thrived too if the developers had given it a chance the new patch won't improve things either I guess, currently backing up the older version , I don't need the online anyway as it appears to be really broken. :/

And still no season pass parts outside of one character is the icing on the cake I guess?!

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Point is the first patch already saw a huge dip, and the patching was completely unnecessary outside of fixing the Voldo glitch even when a small group of people who can't be bothered to learn match-ups disagrees. It was much much too early for any kind of "balance patches" too.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Point is the first patch already saw a huge dip, and the patching was completely unnecessary outside of fixing the Voldo glitch even when a small group of people who can't be bothered to learn match-ups disagrees. It was much much too early for any kind of "balance patches" too.

This is basically my take. Some characters seemed S-tier, but none of them were completely broken and unbeatable. You don't patch a game to this extreme so soon after launch. You especially don't patch it based on online play. I have a tournament in two weeks, and it will likely be the last time I play SC6. All the fun has been sucked out of the game, and this is coming from someone who mained ZWEI (a far worse character than post-patch Azwel).

He might want to question their work with the amount of silence we're getting between character releases then.

I'll never understand why companies announce a season pass, then fail to tell people the characters included. You will get far more interest by announcing all four characters at launch, then having gameplay reveal trailers when they're ready to show off. Going silent for weeks at a time completely kills interest.

For instance, if I knew ZWEI was coming at launch, even if he was a year out, I'd be more interested in SC6 right now. Announcing ZWEI in 6 months won't make me suddenly come back to SC unless he was there in time for Evo (which doesn't impact casual players at all).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The very idea of charging people an additional 50% or more of a game's full base price for a blind purchase season pass rather than just telling people upfront exactly what they're getting for it will never not be a joke. No one should have to rely on dataminers in order to bypass artificial marketing hype (the only reason why I bothered getting SCVI so soon), yet that's exactly where we are with Japanese fighting game developers, with Bamco still doing this by not saying who everyone included in DBFZ's season 2 pass will be by trying to keep the last two of those characters a secret.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It's exactly why I did not grab the DLC or season pass. The time of "pre-order dlc now!" hype has been over for a minute and someone needs to tell them. People don't mind buying early and waiting for some reason, but telling us "trust us you'll like it" is nonsense.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Decided that I was pot committed to the platinum and needed to head down, power through and get it done. Finally finished it last night. I wasn't even happy when it popped, just numb. Please, learn from me and don't subject yourself to this misery.

I'm liking how Mitsu feels after the patch. 1BB's damage didn't change all that drastically, but it feels different. It feels like people are more scared of it, and it's easier to get them to duck. Now if only he didn't jump out of the ring when it's blocked!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if their marketing department would take a break from "working hard" and say something about the remainder of season 1 for the first time in nearly four months, then.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's probably too busy working on the next set of random unneeded balance adjustments.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It came directly from Namco Japan. Okubo retweeted a Japanese article that said the same thing.
Cool, thanks. Here's the article: https://gamebiz.jp/?p=231026

While I was on his twitter I saw that evo Japan finally released a schedule. Looks like scvi finals will be at, uh... 2:30 am PST Friday night/Saturday morning? I feel for any east coasters trying to catch it live, haha.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I still prefer this over the likes of IV even after the patches (really disliked IV after that one's patches). It's not a broken and defective product like the console release of III, either. And I didn't care how V played with that roster.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Folks who think the patches are bad are wilding out. Yeah, there's been some silly stuff (Talim's super cancel comes to mind here), but no character has been wrecked the way they were in IV and V (no, Raph wasn't wrecked). This is the most balanced home SC game ever (3AE might have been more balanced- unsure though).

Talim, Tira and Astaroth went from trash to viable characters via patching (Talim got love on the first patch, Tira and Asta on the last one), and Azwel and Raph got fair nerfing.

Huge dips in the playerbase for a fighting game is normal. Many folks only care about the single-player and by time of the first patch they're done, and then fighting games slowly lose players due to frustration. SC6 did a really good job with avoiding frustration in its ranking system, at least until you get to D/C level.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Folks who think the patches are bad are wilding out. Yeah, there's been some silly stuff (Talim's super cancel comes to mind here), but no character has been wrecked the way they were in IV and V (no, Raph wasn't wrecked). This is the most balanced home SC game ever (3AE might have been more balanced- unsure though).

Talim, Tira and Astaroth went from trash to viable characters via patching (Talim got love on the first patch, Tira and Asta on the last one), and Azwel and Raph got fair nerfing.

Huge dips in the playerbase for a fighting game is normal. Many folks only care about the single-player and by time of the first patch they're done, and then fighting games slowly lose players due to frustration. SC6 did a really good job with avoiding frustration in its ranking system, at least until you get to D/C level.

It's way too early to call SC6 the most balanced home SC ever. The new patch has been out for three weeks, we have no idea how balanced it'll end up being. Just like we have no idea how balanced 1.10 was. That's my biggest problem with this - not any specific adjustment, it's the fact they're not even letting one set of adjustments stabilize before firing off the next one.

Still think the game is great (better than 3-5 for sure), but I don't think the patches are helping, and kind of a waste of effort at this point when things like online matchmaking are much more broken.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the patch, some top azwel players seem to be coming around on the 1.11 changes.

Oofmatic tweeted at okubo last week that he finally understands how the new azwel is supposed to be played and apparently thinks it's cool.

Then mihara, arguably the best japanese azwel, tweeted that he liked the changes so much he wanted to give the devs a bj lol
https://twitter.com/nao4mihara/status/1085934502331871232

He said that while it feels like Azwel had been swapped out for a 'season 2 or SC7' version of the character, key aspects of his playstyle were buffed, so he was happy with the changes overall.

I don't think either of them has really gone into detail though. Anyone on the azwel discord know?

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

Azwel got fair nerfing? Not at all. IMO he's one of the worst characters in the game.

Sword: No lows, requires a whiff to get decent damage, good WS punishment, great i10 punisher but it requires the opponent to be unsafe against Sword Azwel (an unnecessary risk for anyone who knows the matchup).

Axe: No neutral adv at all. Never his turn since they removed all the push back and half his attacks suck in the opponent now. A single 6B at max range and you're stuck right next to the opponent unable to press a button or change stance against 90% of the cast.

Spear: Good WS punishment... that's it.

Also, the matchmaking is absolutely terrible and has been since launch. There was no need to make such huge changes to the game so soon after launch, especially with no fix to the netcode or matchmaking in sight.

It's way too early to call SC6 the most balanced home SC ever. The new patch has been out for three weeks, we have no idea how balanced it'll end up being. Just like we have no idea how balanced 1.10 was. That's my biggest problem with this - not any specific adjustment, it's the fact they're not even letting one set of adjustments stabilize before firing off the next one.

^^ Basically this!

Regarding the patch, some top azwel players seem to be coming around on the 1.11 changes.

Oofmatic tweeted at okubo last week that he finally understands how the new azwel is supposed to be played and apparently thinks it's cool.

Then mihara, arguably the best japanese azwel, tweeted that he liked the changes so much he wanted to give the devs a bj lol
https://twitter.com/nao4mihara/status/1085934502331871232

He said that while it feels like Azwel had been swapped out for a 'season 2 or SC7' version of the character, key aspects of his playstyle were buffed, so he was happy with the changes overall.

I don't think either of them has really gone into detail though. Anyone on the azwel discord know?

From my experience, most of the people in the Azwel discord play against people who don't know the matchup. I ask them how they win with Azwel and they can't give me a straight answer. I list all of his faults and they can't argue most of them.

I'd love to hear what the top Japanese player and Oofmatic think about Azwel in detail. Just saying he's good or they love how he plays tells me nothing. I've only seen Oof play at an early tournament and I wasn't impressed. I'm sure he's much better now, but I haven't seen him him action at all. Without details on why he's good, their statements are meaningless.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it back when the game was still new, but Azwel gave me a really hard time at first. But then I practiced against him in training mode and learned to aGI most of the stuff people abuse and he became a million times more manageable. Sure I never fought a C rank Azwel but nothing ever screamed "broken" to me. Not even close. He's just a new character.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it back when the game was still new, but Azwel gave me a really hard time at first. But then I practiced against him in training mode and learned to aGI most of the stuff people abuse and he became a million times more manageable. Sure I never fought a C rank Azwel but nothing ever screamed "broken" to me. Not even close. He's just a new character.

Pretty much. Vanilla Azwel was very, very good, but you only needed to nerf the back step, his damage and the Axe low. All the other nerfs were unnecessary and created a character that is considered low tier by a good number of players. People just didn't want to learn the matchup and instead complained and complained and Project Soul nerfed him into the ground.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to hear what the top Japanese player and Oofmatic think about Azwel in detail. Just saying he's good or they love how he plays tells me nothing. I've only seen Oof play at an early tournament and I wasn't impressed. I'm sure he's much better now, but I haven't seen him him action at all. Without details on why he's good, their statements are meaningless.
Oof was pretty darn good but I don't think he was at frosty faustings so I haven't seen him play for a while. I asked him to explain more on twitter but no response. Maybe he wants to surprise people at evo Japan :V

Mihara won the last fighting tuesday with azwel. Maybe he'd be more forthcoming if some japanese speaker could ask him? I too am very curious. In any case we'll find out in a week if there's substance to the hype.