• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
And the games it debuted behind were II (triple multiplat, beloved title, introduced guests) and IV (Star Wars + HD)

I'd be surprised if the budget was anywhere near IV's, what with the HD overhaul (which VI is still borrowing assets from) and Star Wars crossover.

Yeah given the budget Bamco likely put into or lack of rather and the release date being right when the big suff started coming out this doesn't seem too bad. It debuted better than the last game and debuted better than 3 praised for its sp content

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Can they, like, remove the meter gain from RE? It's already a get out of jail free card in most cases. I don't need people using SC like 5 times in one match.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Yeah, not my fave mechanics. I only notice it with people who abuse it each time they whiff a hit. Free punish for me I guess but I hate how it breaks the flow of the match.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have any issue with RE if the animation played out like 30% faster.

I'd be fine if they nerfed it, but then they need to adjust character balance to compensate, since characters who depend on it (astaroth, talim, taki, raph) are already not that good

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Also even with 5 bars connection, sometimes the game don't register your imput right.
Take your RE back and give me my old high/low/front/back guard impact Okubo!

Yes please. I don't really like how GI works on everything. Yeah it's fairly punishable if you whiff it but it still feels a bit too easy. Have you always been able to use GI on throws? That's so silly to me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all.

I'm interested in picking this game up on Black Friday, but I don't have PS+ yet. How's the single player content?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hey all.

I'm interested in picking this game up on Black Friday, but I don't have PS+ yet. How's the single player content?

Very good. Strongest since SCIII, if not quite to SCIII's levels. Most story content in the series with Soul Chronicle (though the fights here are stupid easy), and a cool RPG-like mode as well (the fights here start stupid easy and become very difficult as the mode progresses, thanks to smarter AI and enemy bonuses). Mostly text based though, with just a few cinematics throughout. If you're looking for flashy cutscenes, you will find only a few.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good. Strongest since SCIII, if not quite to SCIII's levels. Most story content in the series with Soul Chronicle (though the fights here are stupid easy), and a cool RPG-like mode as well (the fights here start stupid easy and become very difficult as the mode progresses, thanks to smarter AI and enemy bonuses). Mostly text based though, with just a few cinematics throughout. If you're looking for flashy cutscenes, you will find only a few.

Sounds good. I played the hell out of SCII by myself back in the day so maybe it won't be a problem. I might wait until I get PS+ and the Definitive Edition comes out, or at least until 2B gets released.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I would have loved Libra of Souls before the online era, but these days? I find it pointless. Why fight the cpu over meaningless numbers and mediocre story when you have an infinite supply of mostly competent opponents in ranked or casual?

I seriously lost my love for single player stuff when they're not backed by a very solid atmosphere and gameplay. I'm getting old...

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I made it to 18000 points now and I need to say a few things..... The game is getting harder for me now. People know my Talim gimmicks.... all I face are Ivy that eat me for breakfast or things like Siegfried, etc. It's getting a little dull fighting the same characters and having to change my playstyle constantly. Sometimes I can't even rush down properly and I panic hoping I punish something. Talim is a great and incredibly solid character and I love her but I get the feeling she's easy to figure out for good players. I tried learning the Talim/Ivy matchup in training mode and trust me I get nowhere. I think Ivy definitely needs to be nerfed and that's probably me being salty but she does way too much damage for little reward.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I made it to 18000 points now and I need to say a few things..... The game is getting harder for me now. People know my Talim gimmicks.... all I face are Ivy that eat me for breakfast or things like Siegfried, etc. It's getting a little dull fighting the same characters and having to change my playstyle constantly. Sometimes I can't even rush down properly and I panic hoping I punish something. Talim is a great and incredibly solid character and I love her but I get the feeling she's easy to figure out for good players. I tried learning the Talim/Ivy matchup in training mode and trust me I get nowhere. I think Ivy definitely needs to be nerfed and that's probably me being salty but she does way too much damage for little reward.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Ivy nerf, but I don't think she really, really needs one. It's too early to say that for sure, but I wouldn't be super upset if she never gets nerfed.

As for the Talim matchup, I'd recommend watching replays of the top ranked Talim players. While this doesn't mean they're the best of the best, it can help to give you new ideas based on how they're playing. You can also hit up the SC6 Twitch page to see if any higher ranking Talim players are streaming. Watching these streams can also help to give you ideas. I would say watch tournaments, but I don't see many Talim players. I think there were a few at Dreamhack ATL last weekend though, so watching the VOD of that may help.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Finally rank E

Announcer : "put your practice to the test."

Me : "what practice, I'm just mashing buttons..."

I also won the final round perfect though, befittingly. :p

Definitely not. I love how random it is. Like a real clash!

The meter gain is not cool though. Even one RE gain gives you a ton.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The meter gain is not cool though. Even one RE gain gives you a ton.
Honestly didn't notice this... I have to look... I've noticed people especially in lower ranks (not only though) kinda abuse it, but there are ways around it... I just think the core mechanic is sound and can't or shouldn't be changed at all. I also love that you can use it as a finisher (I do this a lot seemingly at random lol)

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rematch in ranked is always been there. Best of 3.

You can't just have endless rematches, people would abuse it to rank up, obviously.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Keep telling that yourself lol.

It's super easy in fact and of course it would be abused and is abused in every game that has such a feature.

Or is this like the "there are almost no cheaters on pc" nonsense?

I mean, it was fine in Tekken. How often are two friends gonna match against each other? What are even the odds of that happening?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it was fine in Tekken. How often are two friends gonna match against each other? What are even the odds of that happening?
We tried once with friends, never managed to do it. Anyway, those "Deathmatches" are awesome in T7, I hope they keep them in the sequel. It's great to be able to keep playing against somebody with good connection until promoted / demoted.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really hope they add infinite, or at least longer, rematch options with the patch. It's a great feature that lets you get sessions in with people you may otherwise never see again. I absolutely could not care less about the accuracy of other people's rank (like seriously, who cares?), so to me, there's no downside.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Might be a stupid question, but wouldn't allowing infinite rematches in ranked make it harder to initially find a match if most people just keep rematching ?

But still I would like that option, it's true that plenty of times I would have like to rematch someone after the first best of 3 , win or lose

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well there are ways around that. But then again boosters will always find a way to boost lol.
We tried once with friends, never managed to do it. Anyway, those "Deathmatches" are awesome in T7, I hope they keep them in the sequel. It's great to be able to keep playing against somebody with good connection until promoted / demoted.
Did they really change that? I remember when I played it was over after best of 5, I think?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be a stupid question, but wouldn't allowing infinite rematches in ranked make it harder to initially find a match if most people just keep rematching ?

But still I would like that option, it's true that plenty of times I would have like to rematch someone after the first best of 3 , win or lose
Good point I can see that too.

On the other hand, almost no one rematches, and if they do I'm frankly quite happy when it's done after 3 matches, it's rare I find someone who's equally on my level. it's either I own them or they own me haha.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Did they really change that? I remember when I played it was over after best of 5, I think?

They changed it to unlimited rematches probably about a year ago. It was a great change, pretty much everyone loves it.

On the other hand, almost no one rematches, and if they do I'm frankly quite happy when it's done after 3 matches, it's rare I find someone who's equally on my level. it's either I own them or they own me haha.

I'm the opposite, I almost always want more rematches, especially against people better than me. I want to play against better players so I can figure out what they're doing. Being denied a rematch after a loss is super frustrating.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I can FEEL who's gonna win/losequit by the amount of taunt and furious teabag at the end of the second and third rounds.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of starting a new character after a tournament today. Not looking forward to playing through those early ranks. While people definitely try to protect their points in the C ranks, more often than not they will rematch.

I can generally tell when someone won't rematch because they spam RE or use blatant online tactics. Things I could easily adapt to by the second match. I rarely see teabagging, but I had one guy teabag the other day after winning in a lag fest. Obviously neither one of us wanted a rematch, but I don't really understand what he felt he accomplished by winning in bad lag that warranted him teabagging.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Fragile ego. I had IRL friends who refused to play any fighting game anymore ever if they got perfected once.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Aeon Calcos Lizardman is in the game, but is not playable. He's listed as "Lizardman Chief" in the game's story, and his SC2 moveset is used during some of the fights against the lizardmen during some of the Soul Chronicle stories.

Currently, Lizardman/Aeon is believed to be part of the season pass.
There are three characters left in the season pass? I seem to see most speculation being that the likely candidates are Lizardman, Cassandra and Amy (because they have redesigns already shown in the game) or Hilde, in some combination. I hope there is a second season of characters because the roster still feels slim to me. A lot of people missing.

Oct 26, 2017
There are three characters left in the season pass? I seem to see most speculation being that the likely candidates are Lizardman, Cassandra and Amy (because they have redesigns already shown in the game) or Hilde, in some combination. I hope there is a second season of characters because the roster still feels slim to me. A lot of people missing.

There's only two left. The season pass has three characters(Tira being a bonus fourth character). 2B is one of them, and that leaves two more.

Initial leaks and speculation pointed to the other two season pass characters being Hwang and Lizardman. Personally, it'll either be a combination of the following characters: Cassandra, Amy, Hwang, and Lizardman. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
There's only two left. The season pass has three characters(Tira being a bonus fourth character). 2B is one of them, and that leaves two more.

Initial leaks and speculation pointed to the other two season pass characters being Hwang and Lizardman. Personally, it'll either be a combination of the following characters: Cassandra, Amy, Hwang, and Lizardman. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
That's pretty stingy if it's only four and the day one DLC is counted.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm nearly at 100 Ranked wins and the matchmaking time is really starting to hurt. I was pretty patient for a while but god I hope that patch comes soon.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Lizardman is literally referred to as "Lesser Lizardman" in the game code, his moveset is extremely small (this video shows almost all of his moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fpig8kUS4g), and he's got a lot of Sophitia's moves (and 2 of Cassandra's). Oh, and his visual design is not new, it's his design from SC4.

All of that makes me think Lizardman was made for this game to be nothing but an AI-driven punching bag.

I really do wish the season pass was larger (or even better, that they had made more characters for the base game). The roster size and lack of several iconic characters is a big letdown for me.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Lizardman is literally referred to as "Lesser Lizardman" in the game code, his moveset is extremely small (this video shows almost all of his moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fpig8kUS4g), and he's got a lot of Sophitia's moves (and 2 of Cassandra's). Oh, and his visual design is not new, it's his design from SC4.

All of that makes me think Lizardman was made for this game to be nothing but an AI-driven punching bag.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Why go through the effort to port any of it when they could just use other movesets, which they clearly do for many other lizardmen? No other NPC has had a partially ported moveset.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
That doesn't make any sense to me. Why go through the effort to port any of it when they could just use other movesets, which they clearly do for many other lizardmen? No other NPC has had a partially ported moveset.
I agree that does not make much sense, but I think the way they designed the moveset makes even less sense. Why give him so many of Sophitia's moves?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I agree that does not make much sense, but I think the way they designed the moveset makes even less sense. Why give him so many of Sophitia's moves?

My theory is that they were only partway done with his moveset before he was cut from the game, but that they were far enough along with it to take what was there and make an extra flavor NPC moveset using Sophitia's moves to fill in the incomplete gaps.

I think it's highly possible that they'll finish what was started as DLC, replacing Sophie's stuff with the proper Lizardman moves, plus new stuff like everyone else.

It's also worth noting that the moveset even has a meat on the bone weapon that you never see used by any NPCs, but exists fully modeled and textured within the game's files nonetheless.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lizardman is also one of the characters that has quite a lot of scenario through the games. I guess if they had to pick 2 more characters to properly explore the important story bits of SC1-2, Lizardman and Cassandra would make the more sense?