• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Plot Twist! ZWEI is the final season one DLC character.

Okay, probably not. Give me season two though!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man I took a break from this and everything seemed good. What a fucking naive piece of shit I was. Enjoying enough to buy the season pass.

Why did I waste money on this dumpster trash of a game...

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man I took a break from this and everything seemed good. What a fucking naive piece of shit I was. Enjoying enough to buy the season pass.

Why did I waste money on this dumpster trash of a game...

It's not tho. The real reason the season pass was a waste is because a lot of it is just gonna be a bunch of CaS parts that were already in previous games that they held back from us because money.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not tho. The real reason the season pass was a waste is because a lot of it is just gonna be a bunch of CaS parts that were already in previous games that they held back from us because money.

Nah. The Season pass itself is fine if a little pricey, the game it's attached to just isn't good.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. The Season pass itself is fine if a little pricey, the game it's attached to just isn't good.

How so? The gameplay itself is the best since SCII imo, even if RE needs a little tweaking. The single player is also pretty meaty and can last some one a good 20 hours. I'm only E1, almost D5 and so far I think the game is decently balanced with maybe Ivy and Sigfried being outlier. Even then, I don't think they necessarily need huge nerfs. So yeah, good stuff.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How so? The gameplay itself is the best since SCII imo, even if RE needs a little tweaking. The single player is also pretty meaty and can last some one a good 20 hours. I'm only E1, almost D5 and so far I think the game is decently balanced with maybe Ivy and Sigfried being outlier. Even then, I don't think they necessarily need huge nerfs. So yeah, good stuff.

The series peaked with SCIII. SCIV was good, but worse. This is just further going down, but at least better than SCV.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
You know, if you're going to be an ass, you could at least quote me instead of just trying to insult/snark a person and get away with it like a coward.

Well in fairness, you did come in with a "this game is trash" hot take with no actual explanation as to why it's trash. What don't you like about it?

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
You know, if you're going to be an ass, you could at least quote me instead of just trying to insult/snark a person and get away with it like a coward.

It's two posts down from yours. I don't think he was being cowardly at all. It's not uncommon to see a response that isn't quoted, especially when it's an active conversation.

...and yet you still fail to explain why you think the game is bad. Which one of you is the coward here?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well in fairness, you did come in with a "this game is trash" hot take with no actual explanation as to why it's trash. What don't you like about it?

It's unbalanced and feels so random. Sometimes you can dodge to the side, other times the same attack you just dodged will track you and instantly have them turn around. Sometimes you can break out of a grab, other times it just doesn't work (not referencing when you grab from a person's back). I had a game against a Geralt that made the simple act of getting up from the ground nigh impossible cause if I moved back or to the sides all of his attacks would track and if I tried to stand up and instantly block it would never work either. You have characters like Nightmare, Siegfried, and Ivy who are all low risk, high reward characters. Don't even get me started on Kilik who can use his critical charge which not only massively increases his damage but gives him a free critical bar to use his critical art that does 2/3 of your health with an insanely fast grab.

So much about this game feels way more frustrating than the previous games ever were. Even in SCIV which I said was worse than SCIII, I could take wins and losses in stride when going online. Yeah sometimes I'd get frustrated, but most of the time it was fine. But it feels like in SCVI there is no matches that aren't frustrating. Even wins don't feel great.

The game was better when there was no Reverse Edges and Critical Edges (so any game pre-V).

Last edited:

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I just beat someone who was handily out playing me by ringing him out 3 times. Final match in the set too lol. I need to lab Azwel. Felt very helpless against him.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's unbalanced and feels so random. Sometimes you can dodge to the side, other times the same attack you just dodged will track you and instantly have them turn around. Sometimes you can break out of a grab, other times it just doesn't work (not referencing when you grab from a person's back). I had a game against a Geralt that made the simple act of getting up from the ground nigh impossible cause if I moved back or to the sides all of his attacks would track and if I tried to stand up and instantly block it would never work either. You have characters like Nightmare, Siegfried, and Ivy who are all low risk, high reward characters. Don't even get me started on Kilik who can use his critical charge which not only massively increases his damage but gives him a free critical bar to use his critical art that does 2/3 of your health with an insanely fast grab.

So much about this game feels way more frustrating than the previous games ever were. Even in SCIV which I said was worse than SCIII, I could take wins and losses in stride when going online. Yeah sometimes I'd get frustrated, but most of the time it was fine. But it feels like in SCVI there is no matches that aren't frustrating. Even wins don't feel great.

The game was better when there was no Reverse Edges and Critical Edges (so any game pre-V).

Geralt may have just been using moves with decent tracking so it sounds like you're just not waking up properly. It is never "nigh impossible" to get off the ground. You have so many options. What was he doing to you while you were on the ground that hit you so much?

For grabs, you might be getting hit by a back grab, which requires a different input to break out of. You gotta get familiar with the animation for each grab so that you can tell how to break out of it next time they grab you, assuming they keep using that same grab or it's not lag.

Nightmare and Ivy are indeed extremely low risk high reward and are literally never fun to fight, I'll give you that. As I've gotten better though, I find that Nightmare is only truly scary when he incorporates stances into his game plan. Most Nightmares don't because they're stupid. Siegfried is really good but I find him less frustrating to fight.

As for Kilik, I gotta disagree. Every Kilik I have fought died when they used their SC. It's like a death sentence sometimes and they telegraph their CE grab. I just stay away from them while their health withers. They usually get desperate and do something stupid.

Verticals should never hit you if you sidestep unless you mistime it or they have tracking. Even then they don't have perfect tracking so you can still sidestep them at times. However, there seems to be a bug where some moves seem to whiff for no reason. It doesn't happen to often though.

That's all I got. As of right now, the game seems fairly balanced with a handful of characters that are really good. No one is broken or too OP. RE is lame but as long as they remove the meter gain, I'm fine with it. If they don't, fuck them.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
He has an insane amount of options, but he's heavily dependent on stances which gives you a brief window to break his combos as they transition. Who are you fighting as?
Mi-na. Managing distance felt weird because he has ridiculous range too and I was unfamiliar haha.

There was a stance I tried to interrupt but I kept eating that low that has a grab animation after that, axe stance I think.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

Not trying to be sneaky with my trashtalk. It's just under your post. And I stand by it, I played every Soulcalibur several hundred of hours, and I think 6 is the most balanced one with 5 and 2. You have so many options to be creative and escape the perceived cheap stuff.

Don't call me an ass tho. We're talking fighting games. A little bit if taunting is expected (there's even a button dedicated to that in SC6). Insult is not.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All of this just sound like you don't know what you're doing.

Escaping grabs is easy. There are scenarios in which you need to tech a specific way to escape, this has been true in every SoulCalibur and Tekken. Sometimes the best option is to just remain on the ground. Nightmare is meh. Easy to beat. Sieggy is anything but low risk, high reward. Ivy takes a fuckton of skill. Kilik's SC super is ridiculously slow and hits high so you can crouch it.

I mean, you can have those complaints, but it really just sounds like you're not good at the game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
All of this just sound like you don't know what you're doing.

Escaping grabs is easy. There are scenarios in which you need to tech a specific way to escape, this has been true in every SoulCalibur and Tekken. Sometimes the best option is to just remain on the ground. Nightmare is meh. Easy to beat. Sieggy is anything but low risk, high reward. Ivy takes a fuckton of skill. Kilik's SC super is ridiculously slow and hits high so you can crouch it.

I mean, you can have those complaints, but it really just sounds like you're not good at the game.

Man, I feel like I understand so well now. Your words have enlightened me.

Or I would say if you didn't just act so freaking elitist. Come on dude.

You can't even say with a straight face that Nightmare is meh and Siegfried is not low risk and high reward. And Ivy? Really? Skill? Every attack of hers is stupid free. There's a reason she's top tier right now.

Post is the 'Git Gud' of the FGC.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
For real tho, it come down to this, Skill's right. Practice each of these scenarii to "git gud". You can only rely on that in fighting games. One hour in the lab just to understand Ivy's movelist and she loses like 70% of her cheap factor. All of that is just necessary knowledge to judge if the game sucks and is unbalanced. Just my point of view, I don't think it's elitist. It's just investment. There's discords link around this thread for each character, all the answers are here.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can't even say with a straight face that Nightmare is meh and Siegfried is not low risk and high reward. And Ivy? Really? Skill? Every attack of hers is stupid free. There's a reason she's top tier right now.

I don't care if you understand. I'm not going to try and "enlighten" somebody who complained just a few pages ago that attacks were all sluggish, along with this laundry list you've just posted.
Tiers don't matter at the level that 99% of the people are playing at, so that isn't a relevant complaint unless you're placing in tournaments.

If you wanted to get better, you'd be posting match videos for help instead of whining about how you need to take a break from the game because it makes you mad.

Sometimes the answer is as simple as "git gud."

And yeah, I stand by what I said. I mean, Nightmare is good, but not the way most people are playing him online. He has hella strings that have high hits that people don't crouch, and as soon as you do, their gameplan falls apart.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
For real tho, it come down to this, Skill's right. Practice each of these scenarii to "git gud". You can only rely on that in fighting games. One hour in the lab just to understand Ivy's movelist and she loses like 70% of her cheap factor. All of that is just necessary knowledge to judge if the game sucks and is unbalanced. Just my point of view, I don't think it's elitist. It's just investment. There's discords link around this thread for each character, all the answers are here.

Nah. That's just so incredibly reductive. If there's one thing I have quite learned from the FGC is that people who have problems with these games should just be quiet. After all, their fighting games never have any balancing problems. I'm not saying I'm so truth speaker, I'm no professional player, that much is obvious, but literally any dissent is always shut down. Of course the same people who shut down that talk will then complain about balance issues but it's different for them because "reasons".

Like man, I thought the Souls community was bad when it comes this stuff.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

Nothing about that was "elitist" and the only part I disagree with is about Ivy requiring skill. Nightmare is a gate that you have to clear if your going to stick with ranked for any amount of time. You either learn how to deal with his bullshit, or you lose. The same as with any other character; his is just more pronounced. Just practice and you'll get better against them.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. That's just so incredibly reductive. If there's one thing I have quite learned from the FGC is that people who have problems with these games should just be quiet. After all, their fighting games never have any balancing problems. I'm not saying I'm so truth speaker, I'm no professional player, that much is obvious, but literally any dissent is always shut down. Of course the same people who shut down that talk will then complain about balance issues but it's different for them because "reasons".

Probably because they put time in to learn the game.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have balancing problems. Ivy has some really easy lethal hit conditions that lead to 50% combos. It's really silly that her low grab and mid attack for a mixup have the same animation, and the latter is a LH for crouching. I think Taki is relatively weak right now. PO transitions are really bad on block, and a successful PO CH A doesn't lead to much damage, and if they step the opponent gets way more because there are so many sidehit/whiff animation lethal hits that lead to combos. She has to work a lot harder for far less reward, and if she's supposed to be all about pressure, then she should have more plus frames on block to make going into PO feel more like a threat since you pretty much have to commit. Not sure about the new cancel people found, but it feels like, to me, transitions are so bad, a cancel isn't going to help her much. Azwel's backdash is really silly. I've seen lots of people complain about him overall. I have only played against bad Azwel's so I can't comment much on that.

You say the game is random, when that's not most people's experience, yeah, you're going to get pushback. It probably SEEMS random to you because you are not familiar with what is happening in the match. It probably SEEMS like grabs are hard to break because you're breaking the wrong grab. It SEEMS like everything Geralt does tracks because the opponent has a read on you, or you just don't know what attacks he has that actually do track that allow you to step.

There's a way to talk about balance, but just making sweeping, and untrue, generalizations that are mostly your fault as the player isn't the way to do it.

Your intent can't be discussion since you've already reached a conclusion. I'm open to the game being an unbalanced mess, but none of the examples you've given make me think that's true. None of my 400+ matches so far say it's true. None of the tourney footage I've seen say that's true.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

The problem is, everything you described is manageable. Yes Ivy is really good but if you understand her gameplay, she becomes manageable. She's still good as fuck but she's easier to deal with. For example, her 6AA was annoying the shit out of me. I went into training mode and recorded her doing it. I found out that the first hit is unsafe on block. That means that if you're close enough and you block it, you can get a free counter hit combo because chances are they went for that second hit. Now that move is a nonissue for me. You have to do this with every character that gives you trouble. Azwel gave me a lot of trouble at first. Then I found out a bunch of his moves are interruptible during the stance switches and some of his strings are easy GIs because they're slow and a lot of players can't help but use them over and over. You're entitled to your frustration but a lot of your issues with the game are due to you not knowing the game enough.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

Come on now. There's "shut up you scrub" and there's "nah you lack experience, your opinion is not backed up by enough knowledge". Anyway, that's in the case you want to play the game online and be a bit serious about it. If you just want to play for fun, it's ok too, that's what I do with most fighting game, I don't bother learning more than one movelist and I just go online like this. Totally valid way to enjoy the game, but I won't go to the respective OT of Guilty Gear or Mortal Kombat and try to talk shit about the games I don't know enough, that's all.

I don't even know why I'm answering at all. I'll probably look like an elitist gatekeeper, which I'm not. I don't even play THIS game seriously.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on now. There's "shut up you scrub" and there's "nah you lack experience, your opinion is not backed up by enough knowledge". Anyway, that's in the case you want to play the game online and be a bit serious about it. If you just want to play for fun, it's ok too, that's what I do with most fighting game, I don't bother learning more than one movelist and I just go online like this. Totally valid way to enjoy the game, but I won't go to the respective OT of Guilty Gear or Mortal Kombat and try to talk shit about the games I don't know enough, that's all.

I don't even know why I'm answering at all. I'll probably look like an elitist gatekeeper, which I'm not. I don't even play THIS game seriously.

Right, there's a huge difference between:

"This game is unbalanced because grabs are impossible to break and every one of Ivy's moves is broken."

and

"I'm really frustrated with this game. Anybody have any tips on how to get around XYZ move that Ivy does?"

One tells me that you don't care about learning. The other doesn't.

Since fighting games are all about learning, why would anybody try to teach somebody whose words imply they don't want to be taught? I don't know why it's considered an insult to say they don't sound like they're very good at the game.

I suck at the game. lol.

I got washed hella hard on Rikuto's stream the other day. Just made me go:

a. Man, the matchmaking really sucks in this game. I'm E Rank and Rikuto is...way past that.
b. I need to lab up Astaroth. No idea what he's doing.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
First time seeing someone say grabs are too hard to break, they're the easiest yet. Playing as Astaroth and having people break his shit from just mashing is always fun :| Ya Ivy is strong, but until you hit the upper ranks the tier list means nothing.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
First time seeing someone say grabs are too hard to break, they're the easiest yet. Playing as Astaroth and having people break his shit from just mashing is always fun :| Ya Ivy is strong, but until you hit the upper ranks the tier list means nothing.
It was one of the things that turned me off about Astaroth this time around initially. First few matches I played with him online I didn't manage to hold onto a single person I tried throwing; aside from on air grabs. But it's super satisfying when they do land, and as times gone on I've gotten better about mixing them in in smarter ways.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throws really suck at low levels because people are constantly pressing buttons. Once you start people that aren't attacking constantly, you're actually able to use them more effectively.

I still think a good change would be for 6+button and 4+button to break a grab, so that even neutral/front grabs have to be broken with purpose, as opposed to now when I'm just attacking when you throw me and I accidentally escape.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

My astaroth against his Azwel. He used nothing but horizontal during RE stand offs. Ended up finishing the final match with a throw which I think might have been the straw that broke the camel's back for him...

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
2B needs to hurry up. I lost almost all interest in learning any current character once she was announced. Went online for the first time in 2 weeks and got hosed, this is no good.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
2B needs to hurry up. I lost almost all interest in learning any current character once she was announced. Went online for the first time in 2 weeks and got hosed, this is no good.

Replace the rest of the roster with Drakenier CaSes to tide yourself over.

NJMlneO.jpg

y2Mq3V3.png

if the CaS thread is dead I am going to spam them here

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I hate the silence of Namco regarding the season pass content. 2B WHEN ? CaS parts WHEN? SETSUKA and DAMPIERRE WHEN?

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Alright, I'm done with RDR2 (unless I get sucked it on the online) finally and ready to get back into this. I got through the Soul Chronicle mode before RDR2, but need to pick a main, start learning the game and due the other SP mode.

Is there a good site out there with like the top 15 moves per character (like there is for Tekken 7)? Googling I see some Youtube videos, but I'd prefer a text site so I can just quickly run through moves while trying out characters.

Mitsurugi was my main in SC1 and 2 and I may stick with him. From a little play I wasn't a fan of how many strings seemed to end with Reversal Edge though.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm done with RDR2 (unless I get sucked it on the online) finally and ready to get back into this. I got through the Soul Chronicle mode before RDR2, but need to pick a main, start learning the game and due the other SP mode.

Is there a good site out there with like the top 15 moves per character (like there is for Tekken 7)? Googling I see some Youtube videos, but I'd prefer a text site so I can just quickly run through moves while trying out characters.

Mitsurugi was my main in SC1 and 2 and I may stick with him. From a little play I wasn't a fan of how many strings seemed to end with Reversal Edge though.

The game has something like "Top Moves" in the movelist. Forget what it's called exactly.

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, I'll look for that.

Anyone know if it's actual top moves in terms of things that work in competitive play? Or just a list of the basic moves for each character like most games provide?

The top moves are what the developers considered to be among that character's best moves. Each individual move also has a small text blurb at the bottom of the screen indicating why it's listed as a top move--things like "long range", "fast" or "good whiff punisher".

Other players may have differing opinions on a character's best moves, but the "top moves" section of each character's movelist is a good place to start without having to delve into fan forums or Discord channels.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Thanks!

After playing around with the handful of characters I was considering, I think I'll go with Geralt as my initial main. More fun than Mitsurugi and at opposite ends of the tier list apparently. I gave Seong Mi-na a go as she seems fun, but really struggled in Arcade mode with her. I'll revist when I learn the game more.

Last edited:

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

I have to agree with everyone else. All of your complaints are more a lack of skill on your part rather than an actual issue with the game. Some may be attributed to bad netcode though (are you playing on PS4?).

Stepping is more complex than just move to the side. A good number of verticals track in one direction. In addition, it takes something like 6-8 frames to step (forget the actual number), which means there are setups in which you can't step at all and just have to block.

Throws have a lengthy break window, but you only have one chance to break. If you're mashing something while the opponent throws you, chances are you won't get the break. All throws (not back throws) can be broken with A, B or K, or Back A, B or K. The break just depends on the throw used, but the in-game movelist tells you the break for each throw.

There are very few situations in which you can't just hold block to stand up off the ground to avoid getting hit. Yes, there are tech traps in the game, but they've been in every SC game. Geralt has some really good low attacks that he will likely use for oki, so perhaps you're getting hit with one of those? Otherwise you should be able to just stand up and guard, unless he's going for the unblockable setup, in which you just stay on the ground to avoid that.

Nightmare is a scrub killer. He has to take quite a few risks, it's just that many novice players have very little knowledge of his abilities. They don't know when to duck, step or interrupt, so they just sit there blocking and let Nightmare run a train of attacks on you. Sieg and Ivy are problems, but they're definitely not low risk. Again, this comes down to a lack of knowledge on your part. Even though I would agree that Ivy is top tier, that only applies at the highest level of play. I can beat an average Ivy all day long. It's only the good Ivy players that I have to work hard against.

Kilik's SC drains his health the entire time he's in it. Back up and let him hang himself. If you uses the super from SC, all you have to do is duck when you see the animation. You have plenty of time to do this so long as you're not in the middle of doing something else. The only time it's guaranteed is off of his throw (which scales the damage) or off of a guard break that's telegraphed and moderately easy to step (especially offline). Unlike Asta's super, you can literally just wait for the animation, then duck.

I do agree that RE sucks though.

He has an insane amount of options, but he's heavily dependent on stances which gives you a brief window to break his combos as they transition. Who are you fighting as?

Actually he doesn't have many options at all. His stance determines what options he has available. For instance, in axe stance, his fastest attack is i14, with a 2A that's i22. You can take advantage of that with most characters. Also, almost every time he switches stances on block, you can interrupt or step, especially if he uses the forward (axe) or back (spear) stance transitions.

Azwel is good, don't get me wrong, but he has a lot of holes that people fail to exploit.

I hate the silence of Namco regarding the season pass content. 2B WHEN ? CaS parts WHEN? SETSUKA and DAMPIERRE WHEN?

This can't be stated enough. Just tell me who's in the season pass up front. You'll still get your PR bump when you provide trailers and release dates for these characters. It's really annoying not knowing who the other two characters are, or when we'll get 2B.

I need a secondary, and I'd like to know now if I have to force myself to play a character in the existing roster, or if I'll get a character I actually want in the coming weeks/months.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

After playing around with the handful of characters I was considering, I think I'll go with Geralt as my initial main. More fun than Mitsurugi and at opposite ends of the tier list apparently. I gave Seong Mi-na a go as she seems fun, but really struggled in Arcade mode with her. I'll revist when I learn the game more.

I think geralt fits the old mitsu playstyle more than sc6 mitsu. Choice makes sense.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Kilik's SC drains his health the entire time he's in it. Back up and let him hang himself. If you uses the super from SC, all you have to do is duck when you see the animation. You have plenty of time to do this so long as you're not in the middle of doing something else. The only time it's guaranteed is off of his throw (which scales the damage) or off of a guard break that's telegraphed and moderately easy to step (especially offline). Unlike Asta's super, you can literally just wait for the animation, then duck.
I think his SC super is a VERY good block/whiff punisher, and of course it's unavoidable in those situations as well.