• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Sure, but if Kilik is using it as block punishment or to punish a whiff, that's still on you. Don't whiff once he activates (you shouldn't whiff anyway).
Yeah, of course. I think his SC even with the super is perfectly fine now, maybe even a bit on weak side with how fast you lose health. In fact i think the whole character is "fine" but not amazing. If 2B is good and suits my playstyle i'm probably dropping him.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I now have a meta game with a random Ranked Siegfried I encounter sometimes. I don't even know how we decided the rules without communicating. We just back up a bit, take the low stance (I'm Nightmare), and we let the clock come down to 5 seconds. And then we attack. The one who lose the duel loses the whole match and don't touch the pad.
Bushido Blade lives with us!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, of course. I think his SC even with the super is perfectly fine now, maybe even a bit on weak side with how fast you lose health. In fact i think the whole character is "fine" but not amazing. If 2B is good and suits my playstyle i'm probably dropping him.

Exactly. People I think are just intimidated by the fact that he goes Super Saiyan and does a fuck ton of damage with his new CE. But the dude practically kills himself most of the time. Most Kiliks I fight don't even use his SC.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would be surprised to see anything SC-related at the Game Awards. Although I don't think we'll get anything at the TWT either. I think it'll be a random announcement via Twitter or something for the 2B date, and a random trailer for the next character (which won't happen until January).

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The 2B reveal was handled in the cheapest way imaginable. A reveal during the Tekken finals would be like royalty compared to what is actually going to happen with Soul Calibur.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Namco has one job at the TWT finals - to announce Julia. Please do not distract them from their one job. Thanks.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Can anyone give me some pointers on going up against Talims as Cervantes? Just ran into a C3 Talim that demolished me. Absolutely obliterated any attempt I made to break out of her attack strings. Side stepping moves I thought were verticals still got me hit and none of my moves are fast enough to beat out hers coming out of guard. Only thing that kept her from perfecting me was a few lucky GI's each round, which led to me getting one or two hits before it started right back up again.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone give me some pointers on going up against Talims as Cervantes? Just ran into a C3 Talim that demolished me. Absolutely obliterated any attempt I made to break out of her attack strings. Side stepping moves I thought were verticals still got me hit and none of my moves are fast enough to beat out hers coming out of guard. Only thing that kept her from perfecting me was a few lucky GI's each round, which led to me getting one or two hits before it started right back up again.

She mainly uses strings that have four hits each. These strings vary, but after you block four hits, in many cases she will need to stance transition (sidestep or jump). At this point you can 2A.

Now after you 2A, she will likely sidestep into a kick that will beat out or evade your 2A. If you block that kick, it's your turn.

Once you get accustomed to her strings, you'll start to read when she's going low (it's the third hit in one of her strings). Block that and the follow-up and it's your turn again.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
She mainly uses strings that have four hits each. These strings vary, but after you block four hits, in many cases she will need to stance transition (sidestep or jump). At this point you can 2A.

Now after you 2A, she will likely sidestep into a kick that will beat out or evade your 2A. If you block that kick, it's your turn.

Once you get accustomed to her strings, you'll start to read when she's going low (it's the third hit in one of her strings). Block that and the follow-up and it's your turn again.
This is exactly where I was getting screwed up hard... repeatedly... between that and the lows getting mixed in I was completely incapable of fighting back outside of GI and the occasional RE. Good to know. Thanks!

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Raphael's top ended up being what I needed for a decent SC1-inspired Ivy 2P.

tumblr_piyfrtiF5n1xaq2cco1_1280.png
ivysc1cg5-jpg.3746

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I have had the same nightmare run away and not rematch me like three times now. I guess he was happy with his win after he got lucky? lmao

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I'm just randomly bitching, lol.

I hate the system of your different outfit pieces getting destroyed. It's looks goofy and dumb to me l, everybody running around in their underwear at the end of rounds a lot of times.

Makes me think of tournaments and stuff and top 8s and what viewers are seeing. There are a lot of cool outfits and armor in this game. But at the end of close matches, people are flailing around in their undergarments. Just looks really stupid to me. I wish there was just a damage system on the equipment/clothes you are wearing, not them breaking off.

I know I am in the minority, haha. I'm just weirdo who wants to see these characters in their outfit pieces the whole round. Shit, I forever want Cammy to put some pants on!! Heh

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I hate the system of your different outfit pieces getting destroyed. It's looks goofy and dumb to me l, everybody running around in their underwear at the end of rounds a lot of times.

Makes me think of tournaments and stuff and top 8s and what viewers are seeing. There are a lot of cool outfits and armor in this game. But at the end of close matches, people are flailing around in their undergarments. Just looks really stupid to me. I wish there was just a damage system on the equipment/clothes you are wearing, not them breaking off.

I know I am in the minority, haha. I'm just weirdo who wants to see these characters in their outfit pieces the whole round. Shit, I forever want Cammy to put some pants on!! Heh
You're not as alone on this as you think.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017

I hate it too. Nothing feels better than spending all that time customizing your character, getting everything to match up just right, and then they end up in their skivvies by the end of the match anyways. I was really hoping there was some way to turn it off like you can in Tekken with post-round hits.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Tekken World Tour, it just reminds me of how much better Tekken 7 looks (graphically) over SC6.

I'm fine with this as long as it means the lower budget, combined with the decent sales of the game, warrant a second season of DLC. We really need another 4-6 characters after this first season pass.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I prefer SCVI's cleaner graphics. Ever since Fated Retribution, T7 has been drowned in post-processing effects. Film grain, chromatic aberration, strong color grading, and shiny shiny materials.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Naw, IMO , Tekken 7 looks better than sc6. I think sc6 looks nice, but honestly, i was hoping and wishing it would one up Tekken 7.

It had a smaller budget and all that, so I knew wouldn't . But a man can wish.

Oct 25, 2017
tekken 7 with PC configurations certainly looks better than SCVI due to all the higher quality assets, however Ill take SC over the console Tekken versions with the awful filters

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
OK this is on sale on PSN I just realised and it ends today. Price @ €40

I don't play online at all but do enjoy fighting games single player as long as there is plenty of content. The last Soulcalibur game I played was on Gamecube and had Yoda in it. I loved that one and the original Soul Blade game.

Is this worth it?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
OK this is on sale on PSN I just realised and it ends today. Price @ €40

I don't play online at all but do enjoy fighting games single player as long as there is plenty of content. The last Soulcalibur game I played was on Gamecube and had Yoda in it. I loved that one and the original Soul Blade game.

Is this worth it?
I spent 24 hours in my main Play through of Libra of Souls. There's a lot to do there. There's also individual character stories but Libra of Souls is where the meat is at.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this in the sale for 35 quid and took the plunge. That seems like a fairer price to me all things considered. Currently playing Libra. I designed a muscle-bound pretty boy to play with and really having a great time just picking up all the different weapons and giving them a try. Gonna do all the single-player stuff first to put off buying PS+ as long as possible.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
What's the highest Ranked win streak you folks have achieved? I'm at 12 right now, and I just crossed over into 8k. Voldo is a blast to play online, but I still regularly get blown up by Takis, Sophies, and Maxis. Nightmare and Sieg have been headaches for me but I think I've adapted to them pretty well now, as I haven't lost to one in a while. One of my developed tactics that I've built up because of online play is how to utilize meter; early on I'd super out of a B Reversal Edge win as Voldo, or out of his rising B, and also make use of Soul Charge (sadly his SC moves are easy to get out of lol), but since Soul Charge can be so devastating and hard to deal with for some fighters (especially with the added Break attacks characters get), I generally just save my meter and raw super on enemies who are Soul Charged since they're guaranteed to be pressing buttons.

Also, does anyone have any good tips or starter guides for Yoshimistu? I really want to practice with him but I'm just not sure what "get in" tools Yoshi has. I've got some of his moves down, like some of his simple Dragonfly combos and his meter stealing moves (especially his <B; that move is sick).

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
It was somethink like 10/11 at launch. Just broke D3 at 17 000, and now I can't go past 7/8 without getting matched against a C Ivy player.
My best streak was around 23 in IV, when the netcode was awful and Astaroth overpowered!

Game is out of the console for the first time since day -4, I'll let it rest a bit until 2B is out. Tekken hype is back for me!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally D5 with Xianghua. Am I one of the big boys now!?

I really wish they'd fix the matchmaking already. It still takes too long to find a match and I'm still having to exit the screen because it gets stuck at "searching for an opponent."

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So I got the game on day one but have spent quite literally all of my time in character creation or ranked matches; so can someone explain Libra of Souls to me? Is it just a story mode or is it like another weapon master mode or something totally new? I keep meaning to put time into it then immediately go into online instead...

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Don't bother, it's just a time sink with pointless story. It's a weapon master mode with an original story and two endings. Somewhere around 25h of "content".

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Don't bother, it's just a time sink with pointless story. It's a weapon master mode with an original story and two endings. Somewhere around 25h of "content".
Prefect, thanks. That's about what I needed to know then. Does who Azwel is get explained anywhere in there? Because that's the last story thing I'm not caught up on in this game.

Edit: OK, i think that's as good a sign as any that it's time to stop for tonight.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Really hoping they follow the lead of Tekken 7 and show us what to look forward too with dates. I've been desperate for info on 2B and the additional customization. I'm really hoping for new weapons, because this game coming with the exact same weapons from SC4 made me almost refund it lol.

Other than that, been enjoying it, still struggling to find a character and the slow matching speed/insane gulf in ranks for online in Asia on PC hasn't stopped me entirely.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Tekken : here's 3 trailers, 3 character reveals, 2 are available tomorrow. Also Panda's are cool now.

Soulcalibur : 2B someday. Y'all have your CaS versions until then.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
I just want some sort of communication on when a patch could come to fix shit / make things better. Online still feels really crappy to me, just having the filters work alone would be fantastic.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken : here's 3 trailers, 3 character reveals, 2 are available tomorrow. Also Panda's are cool now.

Soulcalibur : 2B someday. Y'all have your CaS versions until then.

That's pretty much the life of a SoulCalibur fan, tbh.

As Okubo said:

MO: Of course Tekken has to stay in the central position of the market, as the best-selling 3D fighting game, so it has to compete with every other fighting game. But I think SoulCalibur is a pioneer for using swords, and is unique that way. So with SoulCalibur VI I want to make sure that we reflect upon who we are first, and then present this new game to the fans and launch it to the market.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem like it's taking a little longer than you'd expect to at least get an online matchmaking fix/QOL improvement patch out. I don't remember the exact timeline with Tekken 7, but it felt like a couple patches came out to improve matchmaking and add infinite rematches pretty close to launch. Hopefully they don't make us wait too long.

At least the game's great, though. Still loving it, definitely my favorite since SC2. The new movesets are so well designed.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Well ignoring this game for like 2 weeks while I played Red Dead sure was a good way to get wrecked when I came back online yesterday ^^
I see people kept learning stuff while I was away. Took me a good hour to even get back the automatisms of the moves I learned, and another to correctly reapply them in fights. Well now I'm good to go again.

I was surprised to see still quite some players use the "Abuse RE all the time" strategy, even players with 8-9K which I found really surprising. Still surprised and frankly amused that almost all of them keep mashing RE even after you side steped their last 5 attempts.

I'm at work so don't have a screen but one of those user sent me fun messages like "yeah your Xianghua suck always the same 2 moves" when he spammed RE all match , so I went "well if I only made 2 moves and you still ate them what does that make you? Wanna do a best out of 10?" and he went "Can't you fuckin' read what I just wrote? Why would I rematch you bitch" and blocked me. Sooooo fun I love rage messages :)

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'd been thinking the best way to release 2B would be a stealth drop at the game awards, but I forgot smash was releasing that night. Maybe announcing the date at TGA and releasing her several days later would be better.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I'd been thinking the best way to release 2B would be a stealth drop at the game awards, but I forgot smash was releasing that night. Maybe announcing the date at TGA and releasing her several days later would be better.
Would SC6 DLC be big enough to appear on TGA? I feel like that's only for game announcements or DLC for extremely popular games.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
What's the highest Ranked win streak you folks have achieved? I'm at 12 right now, and I just crossed over into 8k. Voldo is a blast to play online, but I still regularly get blown up by Takis, Sophies, and Maxis. Nightmare and Sieg have been headaches for me but I think I've adapted to them pretty well now, as I haven't lost to one in a while. One of my developed tactics that I've built up because of online play is how to utilize meter; early on I'd super out of a B Reversal Edge win as Voldo, or out of his rising B, and also make use of Soul Charge (sadly his SC moves are easy to get out of lol), but since Soul Charge can be so devastating and hard to deal with for some fighters (especially with the added Break attacks characters get), I generally just save my meter and raw super on enemies who are Soul Charged since they're guaranteed to be pressing buttons.

Also, does anyone have any good tips or starter guides for Yoshimistu? I really want to practice with him but I'm just not sure what "get in" tools Yoshi has. I've got some of his moves down, like some of his simple Dragonfly combos and his meter stealing moves (especially his <B; that move is sick).

I usually get 10-15 win streaks at rank C3 (28k). I used to get 17-22 in lower ranks.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm hoping we get that matchmaking fix before or alongside 2B. I love playing this but man the wait times between matches are just insufferable.