• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Rip NA's first top 8 voldo ;_;

Guess I'll root for bluegod

edit: congrats, another victory for azwel :D

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm really late to the party.
I tried out Amy, who I've never particularly cared for in previous games, and she's pretty fun this time around.

I think I like the new "loose" hairstyle (not the corkscrew one) that came along with her more though.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
BlueGod played well, but I don't understand why people give so much respect to Azwel at the start of the match or when he's in Axe mode. You can rush him down hard and there isn't much he can do about it, but I only saw that happen a few times (Azwel lost 90% of the time that happened).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting on one other thing I want that they keep pretending isn't coming for the sake of their drip-feed marketing crap, and while they're aware that people hate CaS characters being allowed in ranked, they're clearly not listening.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
This is IndieGala's crackerjack deal and it's only $20, great deal for anyone who hasn't bought it yet. PC version to clarify. Limited number of keys so get it on it if you've been waiting on a deeper sale.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting on one other thing I want that they keep pretending isn't coming for the sake of their drip-feed marketing crap, and while they're aware that people hate CaS characters being allowed in ranked, they're clearly not listening.

They're afraid of losing those players totally, then higher queue times in ranked, leading to dead game.

One of the design priorities in SC6 was respecting people's time. This is why they've designed things for minimal waits and loads , at the cost of some polish and graphical quality. Okubo heard the criticism some Tekken players had about Tekken having loads that were too long, and there was concern SC wouldn't sell well, so priority was given to keeping people playing online at low levels. (This is why ranked mode has such small penalties for losses to start)

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
They're afraid of losing those players totally, then higher queue times in ranked, leading to dead game.

One of the design priorities in SC6 was respecting people's time. This is why they've designed things for minimal waits and loads , at the cost of some polish and graphical quality. Okubo heard the criticism some Tekken players had about Tekken having loads that were too long, and there was concern SC wouldn't sell well, so priority was given to keeping people playing online at low levels. (This is why ranked mode has such small penalties for losses to start)

This doesn't make sense to me. Tekken has had long load times since arcade Tekken 6, yet SC5 load times were fine. Why was there any need to worry about SC6 load times in the first place? What changed between SC5 and SC6 that would cause load times along the lines of Tekken 6 and Tekken 7?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Since ranked is the only way to get quick matches, with casuals restricted to lobbies, maintaining a larger player pool seems plausible (particularly when they're already testing the patience of competitive players with their endless balance patches). If nothing else, I do appreciate the more lenient loss penalties, though SFV has been the only game of those I play to annoy me with how steep the price for losing in ranked has been.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The balance patches have so far been more good than bad. This isn't MK, and I think people saying this have overblown most of it way out of proportion (and might also be due to last patch adding something bad with GI changes)

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
The balance patches have so far been more good than bad. This isn't MK, and I think people saying this have overblown most of it way out of proportion (and might also be due to last patch adding something bad with GI changes)

They've completely changed how Azwel plays (for good or bad), altered long-standing attacks that are considered staples for some characters, buffed characters that were already considered good and in some cases top tier, nerfed assumed (and untested) top tier characters severely, nerfed ring outs, nerfed attacks based on online play, and nerfed what many considered to be one of the easiest throw break systems in modern fighting games. This is all before making sweeping changes (good or bad) to many characters during initial development.

You can like the patches all you want, but you it's quite a stretch to say people's reactions have been overblown when the devs have changed so much about the game and the series in general.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't personally disliked most of what they've changed, but constantly needing to adjust to how the game is played as a result of Project Soul issuing more balances patches in a single season than other developers can be a deterrent to playing it seriously.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another factor, SC didn't get the 2 years of arcade Tekken 7 did, so they have more stuff to fix. I'm not overblown by things one bit, I'd rather have this approach than what SF5 did.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, partywolf going Tira. Was not expecting that.
edit: and then AMY? And she did better than his Kilik too. And Ramon went Azwel. Some surprising character choices here.
Seems Linkorz is looking to relitigate NCR GF against Bluegod

Last edited:

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is Ranked basically only Cervantes and Amy? I see Nightmare from time to time, and my scrub ass gets demolished at all times. The Amys aren't too bad but my Mitsurug(ette) gets utterly wrecked by that old pirate fuck, and mister stunlock from across the screen edge lord. I need scrub tips!

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is Ranked basically only Cervantes and Amy? I see Nightmare from time to time, and my scrub ass gets demolished at all times. The Amys aren't too bad but my Mitsurug(ette) gets utterly wrecked by that old pirate fuck, and mister stunlock from across the screen edge lord. I need scrub tips!

At low level you'll see a lot of Amy, but Cervy is pretty rare period. You usually see mostly Nightmares, Siegfriends, Yoshimitsus, Ivys, and Minas at high level. I'm glad we don't see Cervy that much- he's a tough matchup for who I play!

The game itself is pretty balanced competitively, though the chars I mentioned are the high tier (other chars can compete very well)- even had a couple of Talims, a Taki, and a Tira do good in the past month.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legit have no answer for Nightmare. I was in a cosplay casual match room where everybody was switching chars after each match and some dude comes in with Nightmare and goes on like a 10W streak. Matches were lasting seconds.

One hit and I'm done.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I decided to embrace the Nightmare. Made one of my best custom chars ever, and went to Ranked.

With 0 RP. Getting matched up with people with 0 to 80 RP.The things that went down.... Now they all know what I feel when I see a Nightmare. So happy with her design I might main her. Nightmarette!

Edit. Oh shit double post sorry.

Last edited:

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After getting some positive comments on my random use of Tira in a casual room, I decided to take her to Ranked.

I uh....got 605 RP in about 30 fights. Every battle felt like ice-skating uphill. Is she truly just that damn bad? Should I stick to Mitsurug(ette) and Nightmaregal? Is there anything worthwhile to be done with her? I totally killed her design too in the creator :(. Or do I just need to git gud?

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tira isn't a weak character anymore, but she's hard to start with. Some characters take a lot more work to get good with than others, even if the game is reasonably well balanced (it's not as balanced as Tekken, but it's more balanced than SF5)

Nightmare is the easiest character IMO, Mitsu is around the middle, and Tira is one of the hardest (if your character's name begins with a T, you're hard)

Pretty much the entire cast has shown in a top 8, so it is a lot of git gud.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really commited. So I'll be spending a lot of time in practice mode with her. I really like how she shifts depending on her health. Glad to hear she isn't weak anymore. And yeah Nightmare is just obscene. I took out a 38000 RP Astaroth by just pressing forward+ triangle about 7-8 times. Hell that's what 99% of Nightmares do. Followed by downward slashes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Tira you want to shift as much as you can, because she gains ability the more you shift. Don't know how it works exactly, but after a certain point you're pretty much in soul charge mode constantly.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I noticed that you can get her into Gloomy state apparently without hitting 70%. I'm hitting the lab pretty hard. I really like her playstyle. A lot more than Nightmare for sure.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017

I found a way to access Lizardman (aka Lesser Lizardman aka ID_CMN_Char_E_066) with his SC4 gear for arcade mode, so I decided to record a full playthrough using him.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
About time for the last bits of season 1 DLC, eh Bamco?

As discussed earlier, feel free to skip Cass and go straight for the meaty Hwang~ 😎

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the Amy reveal already proving the datamining right points to the "waifu pack" direction staying on point, therefore Cass to close out S1. An Evo 2019 announcement at the earliest for Hwang would be far more likely if they were to ever add him.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure the Amy reveal already proving the datamining right points to the "waifu pack" direction staying on point, therefore Cass to close out S1. An Evo 2019 announcement at the earliest for Hwang would be far more likely if they were to ever add him.
But they skipped over Cass in terms of how the DLC is numbered in the files.

There's nothing set in stone yet, so I say go for Hwang!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
But they skipped over Cass in terms of how the DLC is numbered in the files.

There's nothing set in stone yet, so I say go for Hwang!
Yet Hwang isn't named in the files at all (and no, random words interpreted by fans to be placeholders for other veterans missing don't amount to much). And based on overall popularity and where Bamco has determined their bread to be buttered with SC specifically, there's even less reason to believe that he would be given priority.

If this were Tekken, I'd be more inclined to believe a male character being given preferential treatment with DLC.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Yet Hwang isn't named in the files at all (and no, random words interpreted by fans to be placeholders for other veterans missing don't amount to much). And based on overall popularity and where Bamco has determined their bread to be buttered with SC specifically, there's even less reason to believe that he would be given priority.

If this were Tekken, I'd be more inclined to believe a male character being given preferential treatment with DLC.
I deffo disagree.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If you insist. I prefer being realistic, part of why I won't be getting my hopes up about the last DLC character in DBFZ being one of interest.