• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Red

Oct 26, 2017
What I mean is that you're missing content either way. They DID give you a lot of warning to not do it, as Morrigan said, but my point is moreso that I wouldn't consider this "missed a questline", it's more like you stumbled onto one specific branch of it. Personally, you did the version I like more lol
I made a joke in response earlier but for real I had no warning. I didn't get to the lever by passing down the hall with the messages. I got there by jumping directly down in front of it from the stairway. I saw it, jumped to it, activated it, and only then went back down the hall and saw the messages.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Finally wrapped DS2's main story. I followed the advice from earlier in this thread and left the two other DLC areas for post game (having finished the iron king about halfway through the main quest).

36ce9ff0-fa7d-47e5-8ah0j8u.png

39a561a0-5809-45c2-aamrkwt.png

Final stats, etc. I never wore anything but the old iron king crown once I beat fume knight. Felt a lot better with the stamina regen when equip load was <20%.

I was nearly double the level I was when I finished DS1. I felt like 10 levels over leveled at the end of DS1. But I felt starved from start to finish in DS2. My options were constantly limited. A simple longsword is all I used nearly start to finish.

Splitting endurance into two stats, and adding adaptability were both massive annoyances. Feels like I sunk so many levels just to get to baseline.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I've finished most of the DLC content in DS2 now. I am nearing the end of Ivory King I think. Cleared the storm
and nabbed the frozen treasures.

I think Sunken King is my favorite. I liked the setting the best. I liked the encounter designs. The bosses were not great though. The trio boss was the best one. That was a long and tense fight. But mechanically it wasn't very interesting. The other two bosses were complete pushovers. The Queen boss barely moved the entire fight. I think she got three attacks off before she was done, and each one was fired in the complete opposite direction from me.

Iron King is #2. I liked some of the visuals and I thought there were many clever uses of the level space. But it felt very cramped most of the way through. Not quite claustrophobic, but kind of miniature. The Fume Knight boss was incredible. A masterwork of a fight. I don't know if I've ever rode that kind of high just playing a game before. But the other encounters were just OK. It's the Fume Knight that elevates it.

Ivory King is just sort of fine. I am not a big fan of the two puzzle mechanics, the storm and the invisible enemies. It's unclear how to resolve them. I fought Aavaa half a dozen times thinking I was missing some clue to figure out its position. I tried firebombs and pyromancies on the frozen elements over and over trying to melt them. In the end the solutions are just "progress," which is not satisfying. The horizon is visually interesting but the actual places you navigate are kind of bland. The enemies are also repetitive.

I am around soul level 5mil at this point. Level 185. I started putting points into dex near the end of Sunken King. Finally graduated from a longsword to the espada ropera. A decent boost in damage, especially paired with Flynn's ring from the Sunken King DLC. Around 500 attack on that right hand weapon now.

Across all my 80 hours with this game I've only been invaded by a live player once. I wish it was more lively. I do see a lot more red outlines on bonfire areas now that I'm at this high soul level. Maybe I can find some PvP action if I look.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Cleared up about all I had the patience for in DS2. I tried connecting again to blue sentinels and heirs of the sun, but had no luck. And I have no plans to grind out those loyce souls for the last few DLC items.

My faith build felt like a waste. I didn't have enough lightning casts to make it worthwhile. The best offensive spells I had, heavenly thunder and the NG+ spell from the old iron king, were so random that I was just as likely to waste a cast as I was to deal huge damage. In the end all I used was the lightning sword buff and sacred oath.

Started DS3. About 8 hours in. I thought Gundyr was the hardest intro boss of the souls games. Took me quite a few tries. I picked deprived, as I always do. Had a lot of trouble getting the timing down for dodges when I was so close. But eventually got him.

And since then, the game has been a total breeze. I am making my way down to the end of the path of sacrifices or whatever. I think I've died in combat maybe twice since clearing gundyr. Plenty of platforming mishaps still. But combat is so much more manageable than in DS2. Enemies don't take nearly a dozen hits to bring down, and the encounter design is a lot more reasonable.

My only major complaint are the big goo snakes. The guys like gundyr's second phase. They remind me of the tree spirits in elden ring. Wasn't a fan of those guys either. They're too dang big. The camera works against them. I have to get so close to hit them that it's a crapshoot on when to dodge. I can't see what the heck is going on.

I'm going for a sorcery build this time. My first. I front loaded lots of points into vigor, also a first, and maybe that's why it's felt so breezy so far. I'm level 40ish. Still using the starting club as my main weapon, with soul arrows to deal with enemies at distance.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My only major complaint are the big goo snakes. The guys like gundyr's second phase. They remind me of the tree spirits in elden ring. Wasn't a fan of those guys either. They're too dang big. The camera works against them. I have to get so close to hit them that it's a crapshoot on when to dodge. I can't see what the heck is going on.
Tip on how to deal with those: Weak to fire and it briefly stuns them. I lob a firebomb at them, go in for a few hits, back out until they reset then another firebomb, etc.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really enjoying DS3. The world design was surprising, as it's more level-based than prior games. I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out where to go once I reached firelink. Didn't realize the bonfire itself acted as a level select. I'm okay with it. It would have been great to see something like DS1's connected world, but frankly DS3's areas have been the most enjoyable to move through so far. It lacks a lot of the focused stress I felt in DS1, that tension. But it's more fun. It's a different feeling.

I feel more empowered earlier in DS3 than any of the other From games I've played. I'm sure it'll ramp up soon. I've just cleared out all enemies in the crucifixion woods so I can explore danger-free. Lots of good stuff down here.

As much as I'm enjoying it, I feel less compelled to get back to it when I'm not playing. Even DS2 had more of a draw. I sort of hated my time with that game and yet it was always churning around in the back of my mind. I think it's the similarities to Elden Ring than makes DS3 less compelling. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but it all feels very familiar. The rhythm of combat is exactly what I'm used to and it feels like there is almost no danger. It kind of feels like a NG+ cycle, that kind of a victory run.

All that said, I'm frequently stunned by the environments I walk through. I think this is around the time that From's art team cemented themselves as industry leading. It's incredible, the world they've put together. I have a smile on my face as I walk through these places, with my camera pointed at the sky.

Adding to this post so I don't clutter the thread with too many thoughts.

I just got to the boreal valley. Was told I need a doll. I skipped the cathedral of the deep and assume that's where it is. Went there, got warped to the painted world. I know this is part of the DLC and I assume it's meant to be done post game, like the DLC in DS2. I am at level 50 now. Still using my starting deprives club (Raw +4). And i am having no trouble. DS3 is so much easier than DS2… I have died a few times since my last post, but never in combat. Just once, against the crystal sage boss. And that was because I didn't realize there were "clones" during the last stage of the fight (I got sniped from behind). All the rest are platforming mishaps, e.g. locking onto an enemy as I roll, causing me to roll in the wrong direction and off a cliff.

I'm kind of surprised. I thought the series had a reputation for becoming more difficult as it went on. DS1 I found pretty easy, DS2 was a fuckin nightmare and almost constantly a struggle, DS3 is a breeze.

I'm still enjoying it. Actually enjoying DS3 more than I anticipated, I guess because it's easier than I thought it would be. It still feels satisfying. Bonfire placement and combat encounters feel tuned toward fun, and I appreciate that.

I just picked up Sekiro on disc. I thought for a long time I'd skip it, but god dang it. I'm a big FromSoft fan now. These games aren't perfect. DS3 in particular has a lot of weird technical quirks. Enemies popping in and out existence, loading fog at firelink. But the moment to moment is so far beyond nearly everything else I've played. I have this big dumb smile on my face almost every time I sit down with these games.

Last edited:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying DS3. The world design was surprising, as it's more level-based than prior games. I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out where to go once I reached firelink. Didn't realize the bonfire itself acted as a level select. I'm okay with it. It would have been great to see something like DS1's connected world, but frankly DS3's areas have been the most enjoyable to move through so far. It lacks a lot of the focused stress I felt in DS1, that tension. But it's more fun. It's a different feeling.

I feel more empowered earlier in DS3 than any of the other From games I've played. I'm sure it'll ramp up soon. I've just cleared out all enemies in the crucifixion woods so I can explore danger-free. Lots of good stuff down here.

As much as I'm enjoying it, I feel less compelled to get back to it when I'm not playing. Even DS2 had more of a draw. I sort of hated my time with that game and yet it was always churning around in the back of my mind. I think it's the similarities to Elden Ring than makes DS3 less compelling. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but it all feels very familiar. The rhythm of combat is exactly what I'm used to and it feels like there is almost no danger. It kind of feels like a NG+ cycle, that kind of a victory run.

All that said, I'm frequently stunned by the environments I walk through. I think this is around the time that From's art team cemented themselves as industry leading. It's incredible, the world they've put together. I have a smile on my face as I walk through these places, with my camera pointed at the sky.

Adding to this post so I don't clutter the thread with too many thoughts.

I just got to the boreal valley. Was told I need a doll. I skipped the cathedral of the deep and assume that's where it is. Went there, got warped to the painted world. I know this is part of the DLC and I assume it's meant to be done post game, like the DLC in DS2. I am at level 50 now. Still using my starting deprives club (Raw +4). And i am having no trouble. DS3 is so much easier than DS2… I have died a few times since my last post, but never in combat. Just once, against the crystal sage boss. And that was because I didn't realize there were "clones" during the last stage of the fight (I got sniped from behind). All the rest are platforming mishaps, e.g. locking onto an enemy as I roll, causing me to roll in the wrong direction and off a cliff.

I'm kind of surprised. I thought the series had a reputation for becoming more difficult as it went on. DS1 I found pretty easy, DS2 was a fuckin nightmare and almost constantly a struggle, DS3 is a breeze.

I'm still enjoying it. Actually enjoying DS3 more than I anticipated, I guess because it's easier than I thought it would be. It still feels satisfying. Bonfire placement and combat encounters feel tuned toward fun, and I appreciate that.

I just picked up Sekiro on disc. I thought for a long time I'd skip it, but god dang it. I'm a big FromSoft fan now. These games aren't perfect. DS3 in particular has a lot of weird technical quirks. Enemies popping in and out existence, loading fog at firelink. But the moment to moment is so far beyond nearly everything else I've played. I have this big dumb smile on my face almost every time I sit down with these games.

Interesting to see everyone's take on the different games. I think the order you play them of course makes a huge impact. I started my Fromsoft marathon with Elden Ring when it was first released and I just completed DS3 last night. I've completed Elden Ring, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, DS1, and DS3. I have to say DS3 was my least favorite so far. It was fun but it had the least surprises and WTF moments for me, which is really what I love about these games- like walking into a room and being dumbfounded by an awesome boss or crazy level design.

I've started a bit of DS2 today but shut it off like at the 2nd or 3rd fog wall. lol. I think I hit Souls burnout finally. I have Sekiro waiting too. I should probably play something short and casual like Spider-Man to cleanse the palate, but after playing Souls games, I have very little interest in playing anything else. It has resparked my love for games that I haven't experienced in years.

Oct 29, 2017
After five runs on Elden Ring I came back to Sekiro once again since I didn't have time to play it on my FROM marathon before ER launched.

Man, I didn't remember how nimble movement here is compared to Souls goddamn lol, everything is so fast even the animations for interacting with stuff lmao

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting to see everyone's take on the different games. I think the order you play them of course makes a huge impact. I started my Fromsoft marathon with Elden Ring when it was first released and I just completed DS3 last night. I've completed Elden Ring, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, DS1, and DS3. I have to say DS3 was my least favorite so far. It was fun but it had the least surprises and WTF moments for me, which is really what I love about these games- like walking into a room and being dumbfounded by an awesome boss or crazy level design.

I've started a bit of DS2 today but shut it off like at the 2nd or 3rd fog wall. lol. I think I hit Souls burnout finally. I have Sekiro waiting too. I should probably play something short and casual like Spider-Man to cleanse the palate, but after playing Souls games, I have very little interest in playing anything else. It has resparked my love for games that I haven't experienced in years.
DS3 does feels more predictable. I think that's one of the reasons it's a bit easier. It's also my 4th Souls, counting Elden Ring. So it's not entirely surprising that I'd know what to expect.

I think I might be stuck on Vilhelm in this painted world 🤔

I can fight him for days but he keeps healing before I can kill him. It takes forever.

The next time I went to fight Vilhelm, he broke. He stopped attacking me and kept wandering. So that was uh, something.

I've gained like 10 levels in this DLC area. Level 55 now. Fighting sister friede. I can beat the first form without much trouble. But it takes a lot of time. My +6 club isn't doing the damage I'd like.

The second form is tricky. I have a bigger target and can deal damage more quickly. But I take chip damage from whichever opponent I'm not targeting. I run out of estus during this phase. Need more practice. It's hard to keep both enemies visible.

I also got summoned as a watchdog of Faron. The host had a big halberd and wrecked me handily. The collisions were way off. On my screen I'm hitting them with the club but they're not taking damage. But I'm getting smacked with the halberd from four feet away. I resigned myself to the loss when it was missing me by feet and I was still being smacked into the ground.

I'm glad to see an invasion actually happen though, after the complete dead air of DS2

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The deprived club is a PvE monster. But man, it feels woeful for PvP. I have not had a lot of luck with player invasions in the dark souls games. In Elden Ring I did well over a hundred PvP fights. I won nearly all of them. I think that inflated my confidence. I have won only a single of the invasions I've experienced through DS1-3. I've only had a few, but my performance has been embarrassing enough that I feel sufficiently dragged.

DS3's weapon collisions online feel really bad. Enemy players connect to me from way further away than I expect. It's throwing me off.

Damn. I have been blowing through this game til hitting Sulyvahn. This guy. It's like I went from 0 to 60 in one fog wall.

Used some soul items I'd been hoarding to from level 60 to 65. Hope this helps.

After about 20 attempts I decided to ember up and summon. First try with an NPC summon 🤦‍♂️

I can't think of another fight in the DS games that has as big a gap between the difficulty of a solo fight Vs co op.

I did an invasion as an Aldrich Faithful and finally won. The guy I invaded must have been doing some kind of challenge run, because he did not have a melee armament and used spells exclusively. He didn't seem to want to engage me. I harassed him for a bit, not sticking close enough to beat him, until finally he ran out of estus at the edge of a cliff. I walked slowly up to him, dropped a "hello" carving, and he jumped off the edge. It was an interesting little interaction.

I've won 3 invasions in a row now. I feel bad every single time ☹️

I much prefer co op activities. I don't like being the cause of people losing progress. But I want the covenant rewards.

I messed around with some pyromancies and I kind of regret building a sorcerer now. My best pyromancies do 3-5x my best sorceries, even with a level 1 pyromancy flame and a level 7 sorcerer staff. They also launch faster. I'm going to try to stick with my current build. I still feel like I missed out.

I can see myself playing through DS3 another time. At least once. I really like it. It lacks the tension of the first Dark Souls, but it feels great to play. Not quite Elden Ring level. But still very fun.

I got my 10 points in Aldrich Faithful and turned off the covenant. All I wanted was the spell.

I kind of loved that covenant by the end. Interacting with other players is really special. I was glad to see a lot of it. I played nearly 20 online sessions from the Aldrich covenant alone. That was the bulk of my online time. I also did a few mound maker invasions, which is a great idea I wish was expanded on in Elden Ring. Maybe DLC? And I was invaded myself a few times. I was very happy to see how active this game still is online (although I never got a bite on any of my boss door summon signs, making sun heirs progress impossible).

I beat soul of cinder at 40 hours in, around level 90. Added a couple of levels after beating him, but these are roughly the endgame stats.

69fcb76a-fb16-ac72-a3ctkwi.png

a2957912-b293-a5a5-b3gujmx.png

I still need to finish the Sister Friede boss fight in Ariandel, along with the ringed city DLC and archdragon peak.

I had this on disc and I immediately bought it digital after finishing. This is a game I can see myself wanting to pop into while playing other things. I can see myself doing it enough that I'd save myself a lot of hassle with that $21 sale price. I don't think I've done that for any game before.

In terms of design, I think Dark Souls 1 is the tightest. It feels, more than any other game, hand-crafted. A world in miniature. Sprints between bonfires are expertly honed.

But DS3 is the most fun. I think a few of the bosses are a little too aggressive, like just letting up .25 to .5 seconds longer between attacks would make them more enjoyable. But this is a rarity, and it's mitigated entirely by NPC summons. Sulyvahn and Soul of Cinder were both tough for me, both clocking in at 10+ attempts, many of those wasted before getting them down more than 1/4 health. But both were trivialized by summons. I walked in with my computer buddy and we walked out with barely a scrape on us.

Prince Lothric and the middle stage of sister friede are the two most frustrating for me I think. The teleport mechanics of both make surprise hits really frustrating. Sister friede sometimes appears inside the big guy and pops out for attacks I have no time to react to. I like this fights visually, but I feel cheated by them over and over.

The actual levels though, the corridor crawling. I love it. It's so fun. I had way more options at my disposal in this one than either of the prior two games. Because of my low attunement, it wasn't quite elden ring (praise the sun that they've dropped that stat). But I could go in with a lot of confidence with various sorceries, pyromancies, and melee weapons. I felt extremely limited by DS2 and it was refreshing to have things open again.

Once I finish up the last of DS3, I'll be onto Sekiro. I imagine I'll pick DS3 back up periodically to run through NG+.

Nameless King is my new wall. As much as I like DS3, there are a few bosses that I really dislike. This is one of them. This guy sucks ass. The first phase does the thing I hate in these games where the target is so big you can't see what the hell is going on. The second half never lets up. It punishes you for healing. Punishes you for casting magic. Punishes you for being punished. There are so few opportunities to get hits in, and every time I do it's a trade. I don't have any usable weapon fast enough to even get an R1 in before he's swinging again. After like five tries I thought, OK, this guy is so aggressive because From wants me to use summons. You need an NPC in that fight to distract him during the second phase. But there are none! I don't know when the heck I even get to attack. I think this is the most stumped I've ever been on patterns in any of these bosses before.

OK, the difficulty of this fight differs wildly depending on the set of moves this guy decides to do. Sometimes it's one big swipe, sometimes two small ones, other times this huge fuckin chain of death blows that seems to go on forever. It's really hard to predict what's going to come out. I think it's trying to capture that Fume Knight energy. But I loved Fume Knight. This one when it decides to go for broke, it's just too much. The combo chain becomes way too long to be enjoyable.

Yeah man I hate this boss. Hate it. I have spent well over an hour with him now and I feel no better now than I was when I started. The first phase is easy as heck until it decides to chain multiple air fire breaths at which point I may as well put down my controller. And the second phase becomes impossible when it enters infinite hit combo mode.

www.xbox.com

everluck | DARK SOULS™ III | Xbox

Uma captura por everluck

It gets to the point where I can't recognize the end of a chain anymore because they go on so long. It's way too much. I think this is a bottom three boss for me.

www.xbox.com

everluck | DARK SOULS™ III | Xbox

A capture by everluck

I don't even know who I am anymore.

Finally did it. YouTube to the rescue. Finding out you can turn the camera away during his lightning strike was a game changer. Finished my second try with that knowledge.

I think I spent about the same amount of time with the nameless king as I did with fume knight. Much prefer the fume knight. I still think nameless king is too much. I don't like the lack of visibility during the first half. And I resent the second half for being after that first half. I think I'd have a much higher opinion if they were separate fights.

I think nameless king is meant to recall fume knight. Nothing else in DS3 is really like that. I think visually it's a stunner. It's more artistically impressive. But fume knight was all about the simplicity. A big arena with plenty of space for the both of you, with nothing to obscure the view. The nameless king has this wind, these statues that sometimes get in the way. Plus that janky first part. I appreciate the idea behind it but it felt unfair too often.

Working my way down to the ringed city now. I finished sister friede to clean up the remainder of ariandel, and all that's left level wise is the ringed city DLC. After this, I'll run through a spells and equipment checklist and make sure I grab everything before starting NG+.

I like the friede boss fight outside stage 2. The big guy obscures the camera and makes it difficult to track friede herself. I know that's the point, but it takes way too long to space the two character safely because they both track you at the same time. Friede sneaks up on you. Phases 1 and 3 were fine, good even. I came to enjoy the first phase quite a bit after a number of retries. But phase 2 never became enjoyable.

My latest boss was the twin demons / demon prince. I *really* liked this one. The bosses were big, but their moves were mercifully telegraphed. It felt a lot more fair than many of the recent bosses that have given me trouble. When I took damage, it was clearly on me, and not due to a random teleport or a weapon popping in suddenly from off screen or through another character. I was glad to get a break for once.

Finished Midir and Gael. Enjoyed both. I prefer Gael, and I consider him a top 3 souls boss. Really enjoyed that one. During one attempt, a ring knight spawned in the arena. It never happened again so I assume it was a bug. If it's international, I'm not sure how to trigger it, and I think that would make the fight worse. It only works 1 on 1. But man, what a great fight.

I beat him with my starting club. So fitting 🥲

If I have one problem with the design, it's the same one I have with Fume Knight. It goes on so long. The guy has too much health. Cut it by like 25% and it'd be perfect.

I did a couple of spears of the church rounds as the boss. Lost both times. It's obnoxious how few duel charms can be held in battle. Hosts hang back and run through 10 full health bars but the boss can't heal. I think this is a wonderful concept but my int build makes it really difficult to manage multiple players at once. I hope Elden ring gets some interesting multiplayer improvements as part of the eventual DLC.

I kind of want to start NG+, but I'm nervous about moving away from the active level range for invasions and covenants. Between levels 70-85 I was getting pulled in constantly, back to back matches, now at level 120 I'm lucky to get a single session every five or six hours. Invasions are a ton of fun and I want to hold onto them as long as possible. I could always hop back into ER, but I did triple digit multiplayer sessions there already. Without the hook of a covenant, it gets repetitive. I really like the online content for DS3, and I'm happy to see it's still active. I want to get as much out of it as I can, before it's gone.

I'm seeing quite a few matches in NG+ now that I'm around level 135. From what I can gather, these are mostly players on NG who are leveling up to play the endgame and DLC bosses. Yesterday I fought nearly a dozen unique watchdogs of farron as I moved through that area. I was very surprised. I didn't expect to ever see someone in that covenant, let alone someone at level 100+.

every time I play I also get pulled to one or two spears of the church invasions. I'm trying to get those covenant rewards. For some reason, spears is especially flaky. Half the invasions end in a connection error. The ones I play are mostly enjoyable, but it's the one covenant that irks me when there is latency. When my halberd crashes down into someone, there is a big blood spurt, but they don't stop or take damage. Ugh. I think it's because as the spear, I can't heal. The advantage you have as the boss is that attrition, those adds and your golden balls. But when you can't land hits or predict when you'll be hit, it's all out the window.

I've won most of my matchups which I'm happy about. Usually I'll reach out and ask if the other players need a hand with the ringed city. There was one player I got matched to three times and I beat them each time. I felt so bad I took off the spears covenant for a while. I hope they got past it 😬

I'm getting loads of invasions around level 150. I thought they'd drop off in NG+ levels. But no. During a one hour session yesterday I saw nearly a dozen different players, either invading their worlds or being invaded myself. It's hopping.

I am trying to clean up the mound makers covenant. I like this one conceptually more than in practice. I think it would be greatly improved if purple phantoms could aggro foes, and enter boss arenas. I've dabbled in aiding as a purple phantom, dropping items for other players and fighting off red phantoms. But typically the host and their allies assume you're there to antagonize, and they attack right away. I'd love to see Elden Ring revisit the wild card phantom idea, and expand on it. It deserves a second chance.

I'm nearing the end of my NG+ cycle now. Was a breeze. Even easier than I expected. But still a lot of fun. It's the online content that makes it most engaging.

I notice that most players, the vast majority, neglect the charm that disables estus. It's what saves me over and over as an invader. Hosts don't dodge it, and they try to use estus after they've been hit. At level 100+ I expect them to be familiar with this. But almost no one is. I'm surprised at how often I can rely on them not to know what's happened when I land one.

It's got to the point where I win the majority of my invasions. Not quite as many as in ER, which felt broken. I was doing chains of dozens without a loss. But like eight to ten in a row before I lose. And I don't think I'm especially good. I'm not doing SL1 runs through these games. But I am familiar with the mechanics in a way that it seems many players are not. Very few people seem to know how to counter approaches. You see the same weapons over and over, the same strategies used. Elden Ring was similar. Everyone is following the same boring YouTube guides to PvP that don't actually get them anywhere. Very few players know how to improvise.

Not everyone is like this! I matched to a first time dark souls player a few days ago who beat me three times in a row using an assortment of dex weapons. They were close matches but I still lost them all. That was a smart player. I mixed my approach each time, and they countered appropriately. When I upped my aggression, they took out a shield and parried. It was good to see some actual effort put in.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I got to 1,000/1,000 cheevos in DS3 after a final run through. Took about 5 hours from start to finish.

I think DS3 is the easiest of the Souls games, like I said before. It clicks with me the most. Even more than elden ring. But I think I still prefer elden ring because of the build variety. There is simply more to try in that game. But I love PvP in DS3. I'm good at it. I am one pain in the ass invader and it feels great. I think the spears of the church covenant is one of my favorite things in this game. I came to enjoy running into the same person two, three, even four times in a row. Sometimes I'd give them a free kill or offer help after a few wins. I'm at level 213 now and outside the range where summons happen consistently. But I still leave the game open some evenings while doing other things, hopping over when I do get called in.

I have a couple more builds planned out. One of them is specifically for the spears. I think I'll settle somewhere in the 120-150 range which seems fairly active. Maybe. I don't know. I've spent half my year on Souls… maybe it is time for a break.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
super lttp but just rolled credits on Elden Ring after 106 hours. Great game, had a lot of DS2 blood in it, which I was pleased about. Melania was tough but not the most difficult boss in all of souls games, for me at least, mine was the Defiled Amygdala, which took me many hours to beat.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
domthybomb Hey, is there a way to replay previous Heardle games? I always forget to play the daily and missed out on several... :(

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Thinking of going back to Sekiro after 2 years. I'm at Genichiro but might just start a new game and see if it clicks this time. Is Gen pretty far along into the game already?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of going back to Sekiro after 2 years. I'm at Genichiro but might just start a new game and see if it clicks this time. Is Gen pretty far along into the game already?
It honestly depends. Following the main route, he's like the 4th major boss, but once you get to the castle where he is, you can do a whole bunch of other things first. How many areas can you fast travel to? That's the easiest way to tell how much you've done.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It honestly depends. Following the main route, he's like the 4th major boss, but once you get to the castle where he is, you can do a whole bunch of other things first. How many areas can you fast travel to? That's the easiest way to tell how much you've done.

Thanks. Will check tonight. FWIW my save file says 12 hours.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Will check tonight. FWIW my save file says 12 hours.
Oh, 12 hours will probably just have been straight to Genichiro then, possibly with Hirata Estate on the side.
So the locations you can visit will probably be Dilapidated Temple, Ashina Outskirts, Hirata Estate, Ashina Castle, and maybe Abandoned Dungeon. If you have any more areas, especially with a lot of fast travel points in them, you got to Genichiro later.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Oh, 12 hours will probably just have been straight to Genichiro then, possibly with Hirata Estate on the side.
So the locations you can visit will probably be Dilapidated Temple, Ashina Outskirts, Hirata Estate, Ashina Castle, and maybe Abandoned Dungeon. If you have any more areas, especially with a lot of fast travel points in them, you got to Genichiro later.

Looks like I missed out on quite a few things. Having a really hard time with Gen. I do remember the climb up the castle was arduous what with those kite fuckers.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I missed out on quite a few things. Having a really hard time with Gen. I do remember the climb up the castle was arduous what with those kite fuckers.
The good thing is that you can do a fair bit of the game before you fight him (which is what I did), which might help in terms of getting exp for more skills and more prayer beads etc.
Gen is definitely the skill check of the game, so once you crack the fight, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. Personally I find it easiest to go hyper aggressive against him and try to keep in a constant back and forth between deflects, than letting him control the pace of the fight, but I'm not familiar with high level play enough to know what the best way is.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The good thing is that you can do a fair bit of the game before you fight him (which is what I did), which might help in terms of getting exp for more skills and more prayer beads etc.
Gen is definitely the skill check of the game, so once you crack the fight, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. Personally I find it easiest to go hyper aggressive against him and try to keep in a constant back and forth between deflects, than letting him control the pace of the fight, but I'm not familiar with high level play enough to know what the best way is.

Thanks for the tips. Seems I've been to Hirata Estate and the Castle surroundings. In anycase I started a new file to train up again since I have no idea what I had to do when the Red Kanji flashes.

Definitely harder to pick it up again halfway through than Bloodborne or the Souls games.