• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
How are you guys feeling about Code Vein (apologies if this is too off-topic)? The recent videos make me feel like it's going to be a Souls/God Eater hybrid, and I am nervous that it won't be any good.

I really want it to be good but the aesthetic is really off putting for me. As well as the combat with enemies looking so rote. But they still have till next year to fix up the combat. I want it to turn out well thought so I can have something to play until FROM's next release but I'm not holding my breath.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Subbed. I got into the Souls series a little late, starting with Bloodborne, but it has quickly become my all-time favorite series. I'm hoping for a fresh experience after Dark Souls 3 and can't wait to see they come up with next.

In the mean time, I'm anxiously awaiting Hollow Knight on switch. I hear there are some good similarities with some of the mechanics even though it's a vastly different type of game.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a Souls fan since day 1, aside of Souls 2 I've loved every single game in the series.

Anyways, Bloodborne is my favorite game in the series, I dream of getting a 2nd game like it even if I want Miyazaki to do whatever he wants.

Oct 25, 2017
This is seriously the best game series of all time. What a gift to gaming.

Glad we have our place here, I'm really feeling like playing Demon's Souls recently, might as well get on board with the ReturnToNexus event.

Subbed. I got into the Souls series a little late, starting with Bloodborne, but it has quickly become my all-time favorite series. I'm hoping for a fresh experience after Dark Souls 3 and can't wait to see they come up with next.

In the mean time, I'm anxiously awaiting Hollow Knight on switch. I hear there are some good similarities with some of the mechanics even though it's a vastly different type of game.

The similarities are more than mechanical, in my opinion. A lot of the exploration, mood and storytelling/quest progression really feels reminiscent of Souls. "It's like Dark Souls" gets thrown around way too much these days for it to have any meaning, but of all the things that aren't obviously a spin on the formula like Lords of the Fallen and Code Vein, Hollow Knight is the one that deserves the comparison the most, in my opinion.

Aside from Salt and Sanctuary, but that one is well known as "2D Souls", while this one may fly under the radar of many fans of the series, and it definitely shouldn't.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
I wish my PS3 wasn't so far away or else I would also have gotten on the Returntonexusevent

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this Nioh Era too?

Nioh is included in the Discord so I don't see why not. It was actually how I stumbled upon the Discord to begin with.

Speaking of Discord, mentioned it earlier on there, but really hoping for the random rumors of the Dark trilogy being ported to Switch are true. Just like Hokuten above, I got into similar games after playing Bloodborne with my brother and really digging it. Unfortunately, my only system right now is the Switch.

The similarities are more than mechanical, in my opinion. A lot of the exploration, mood and storytelling/quest progression really feels reminiscent of Souls. "It's like Dark Souls" gets thrown around way too much these days for it to have any meaning, but of all the things that aren't obviously a spin on the formula like Lords of the Fallen and Code Vein, Hollow Knight is the one that deserves the comparison the most, in my opinion.

I'm going to have to look more into Hollow Knight now.

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to Morrigan for providing the bonfire to keep the Souls community intact.

Deleted member 904

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Lighting my first bornfire. Picked up DS3 in April and got stuck at the 'tutorial boss'. Gave up way too quickly.
Early this month, I've decided to give it a shot again. Took me three hours to figure everything out and I finally bashed the tutorial boss. The feeling is glorious.

Oct 25, 2017
Lighting my first bornfire. Picked up DS3 in April and got stuck at the 'tutorial boss'. Gave up way too quickly.
Early this month, I've decided to give it a shot again. Took me three hours to figure everything out and I finally bashed the tutorial boss. The feeling is glorious.
Yeah, that was a particularly tough fight to be your very first boss in the series, haha.

It'll definitely get a lot easier now that you're used to the controls. Keep us posted.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Have still not played the Dark Souls 3 DLC. Plan on getting them next month.

Do y'all think The Ringed City provides some adequate sense of closure?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DS2 is wonderful in its sporadic nature, I can't wait to play the Scholar edition after DS3 and Bloodbourne. I still have so much Souls to go through, I like to pace myself... as they're very hard, I take my time exploring, and I think they're the best combat experiences of their generations.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The PvP in DS2 was way beyond the other games in execution and connection
So much fun invading the Belfries for those chunks. Best way to farm EVER.

I didn't think this would be up so quickly. Nice job
An impostor appears! I challenge thee to an avatar duel. xD

Is this Nioh Era too?
It doesn't have to be. Feel free to make Nioh-ERA if you want.

I never cared much about things like "closure" or the story/lore in these games, but some people thought the closure part felt flat. It didn't bother me. It has great levels and amazing bosses.

Shout out to Morrigan for providing the bonfire to keep the Souls community intact.
tumblr_nlx8defwuB1syqz7zo1_500.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The Souls-GAF legend never dies!!

So good to see this community resurrected here. Thanks Morrigan, and everyone else on the team, for bringing in a new ERA of fire.

I think it's great. Very challenging (too challenging according to some) but fun. Amazing bosses. People who expected it to answer every lore question were disappointed, but it provides some amount of closure and some nice meta-commentary on what should be next for the meta-series.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've found my people. I'm excited to start Bloodborne again after all the craziness of the next few releases calms down. Looking to do a slow lore playthrough

I would say that it has a passable ending and a great, great boss fight. The journey is the reward there. It's a sizable DLC with some great bosses

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This and Zelda are my most beloved game series right now. It's crazy what Miyazaki and his team have accomplished since 2009.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
The similarities are more than mechanical, in my opinion. A lot of the exploration, mood and storytelling/quest progression really feels reminiscent of Souls.

Hi - is the loreas dense/tangled as in the Souls series? One of my favourite aspects is trying to piece together these odd stories, seeing how they affected the environments and bosses.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have the Bloodborne artbook? Is it worth the money? Maybe I'll buy it as a Christmas gift to myself

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I want to finish the Dark Souls 3 dlcs but it's been so long that I'm scared I'll just be entering a world of hurt. Especially that big tall enemy in Ashes who just keeps jumping and throwing daggers.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
DS2:SotFs > Bloodborne

I'm going sit down with Bloodborne this weekend with DLC but just never enjoyed it as much as rest of series hated lack of build variety (pre dlc i last played it) and NG+ didn't have that crazy DS2 changes

Don't kill me Discord guys n girls

alfredo_V

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to see this OT. Will join this covenant. My absolute favourite games.
Wonder when we'll se any news of next installment from our gods at FS.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going sit down with Bloodborne this weekend with DLC but just never enjoyed it as much as rest of series hated lack of build variety (pre dlc i last played it) and NG+ didn't have that crazy DS2 changes

Oh boy,you're done here :)

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
How are you guys feeling about Code Vein (apologies if this is too off-topic)? The recent videos make me feel like it's going to be a Souls/God Eater hybrid, and I am nervous that it won't be any good.
Not feeling it at all. What I saw of gameplay looked quite clunky (though I heard controls are actually good) and going with those anime aesthetics is the worst thing you could have done (to put me off). I always felt like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls owe a lot to their art direction.

Deleted member 3876

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It happens, we all have at least one semi-controversial Soulsborne opinion. Hell, some (me) have several! :P

I definitely lean Bloodborne but I'm a huge Lovecraft/horror dork so of course.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, good ol' Souls thread. Love that first pic, the art is great. I'm also interested in seeing how Souls fans think of Code Vein.

Oct 25, 2017
I think my only really controversial Souls opinion is how much I dislike Scholar of the First Sin. You know how people say that Dark Souls II is a really good game, just not an amazing sequel? I can't personally say that of Scholar of the First Sin, I genuinely think it's an awful game and an awful "remix". I strongly advise against having your first experience with Dark Souls II with that version, and always tell people who ask me during Steam Sales to get the vanilla version with DLCs, unless they're really into PVP.

I personally didn't really like The Ringed City at all. It's beautiful, but I hate how the enemy placement and overall encounter design just beg you to rush the first time through. Not that it's impossible to slowly advance and kill every enemy, but, at least from my perspective as someone who always kills every enemy even when I die repeteadly on my first playthrough, this was definitely not encouraged.

That being said, the boss fights were incredible, except for one, but it's fairly minor. I'm enjoying it a lot more on repeated playthroughs, just rushing from boss to boss without trying to explore while the game makes my life miserable for doing so.

Midir is my favorite fight of its kind in the series.

Ashes of Ariandel is fairly short, and for that reason it disappointed many people, myself included to a smaller degree, but for someone who will be playing both DLCs at once, it probably won't be a major issue. So, aside from the lack of content, it's pretty great. Awesome level design and one (yes) incredible boss fight, even if not super original.

I've found my people. I'm excited to start Bloodborne again after all the craziness of the next few releases calms down. Looking to do a slow lore playthrough
I still do slow lore playthroughs from time to time, even though I know the majority of item descriptions by heart already, it just feels right, haha.

I'm also really into speedrunning, ironically, so I have to deal with both communities bickering at each other like moths drawn to a flame.

This and Zelda are my most beloved game series right now. It's crazy what Miyazaki and his team have accomplished since 2009.
Just the fact that people can put it on the same level as Zelda shows how crazy it is. I don't like throwing this world around, but I honestly think Miyazaki is a genius. Some people get a bit annoyed at the cult surrounding him, but I think it's 100% deserved. What's not deserved is shitting on other From Software employees, but there's no such thing as too much praise for Miyazaki.

Best game designer in the business. It must be the name.

Hi - is the loreas dense/tangled as in the Souls series? One of my favourite aspects is trying to piece together these odd stories, seeing how they affected the environments and bosses.
I didn't finish it yet, so I can't really give you a definitive answer on this, but it definitely feels that way. Before the first boss, I was already revisiting item descriptions after getting some new dialogue when revisiting NPCs, and making connections to my character and their possible origin. It really feels like Souls, haha.

I should also say, as much as I'm obsessed about the lore in this series, I'm not usually the kind of guy to read every description, every in-game book, every datalog and stuff like that. It usually bores me to death, so just the fact that I'm into it in Hollow Knight already indicates that it scratches that same itch.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have the Bloodborne artbook? Is it worth the money? Maybe I'll buy it as a Christmas gift to myself

I have it, it's good but it's not hardback. Feels odd compared to the others - if it was hardback I'd say definitely, but not as happy as I thought I'd be

Its short on text, but the art is great. Also, includes the DLC, which is a nice surprise. Got it for free with the Audible sign up sale.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
DND_4PMWkAAmFBm
DND_1N6XUAINV9S

This is Princess my hunter for this play through, rolling Cane like always plus made it to first lamp without dying and running away. I will post in thread odd picture maybe video clip and talk about my feelings on BB as I progress through the game.

Last time I played this game was 4 months after game was released, I finished game went into NG but something felt missing I didn't have urge to carry on.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i started playing dark souls 3 this week, and made it very near the end, but my save got corrupted because the game froze and the console did not respond, so i had to unplug it. don't have ps+ so no cloud backup. feels like a gross oversight that a game like this does not have auto backup saves when offline.

anyone know if the fire fades edition is know for corrupted saves? i got the physical copy.

anyway, i started again to see if it goes faster the second time, and in about 3 hours i made it past the cursed tree. seems to go smoother, at times i was actually surprised how easily i could run through everything, but still a bit bummed about the whole thing and won't be playing anymore since i'm buying mario odyssey tomorrow and will be into that. schedule was the finish ds3 before that. oh well.

anyway, pretty good stuff. will probably summon/cheese everything with guides to get where i was when i'm done with mario.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
This is Princess my hunter for this play through, rolling Cane like always plus made it to first lamp without dying and running away. I will post in thread odd picture maybe video clip and talk about my feelings on BB as I progress through the game.

Last time I played this game was 4 months after game was released, I finished game went into NG but something felt missing I didn't have urge to carry on.

Have you got the DLC? If not, comes highly recommended!

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 1 is the GOAT. I'll chain-backstab anyone who disagrees. ;D

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Never played bloodborne. Can't imagine playing a souls game with a controller since KB + M is clearly better.