• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know a quick Titanite Slab I can grab on a new playthrough? I botched up the Siegward quest line and he's not in the Profane Capital.

Patches didn't show up as I killed the Deacons before talking to him. Can I salvage that in any way?

Next best option seems to be the Ashes of Arianderl Slab?

I think the ones in the painted world are the fastest you can get. One after Father Ariandel, one at the bottom near the big crabs. Alternatively, you can do Dancer early, beat Osiris, then get the coiled sword fragment from the dark Firelink Shrine and trade it to pickle-pee.

EDIT: And I think Patches still shows up to lock you in the tower outside Firelink Shrine even if he didn't lower the bridge in the Cathedral. But since you already advanced through Irithyll Dungeon you might be out of luck until NG+.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What kinda of build should I make in BB if I wanna primarily main the moonlight sword?

50/25/50 STR/SKL/ARC. If its too much for your build atleast no less than 25/25/50.

Moonlight Sword is a pretty demaning weapon in terms of stats, because the regular attacks still scale better with STR, yet the beams's special attacks are ARC.

And because how scaling works, leveling SKL at 25 gives better returns that the other stats past 25 for regular attacks, so it's recomended to level it up too.

For gems you want nourishing gems (the ones that raises all damage). There's some easy farming ones from Gargolyes in Chalices. With this you can easily gem the normal version of the sword. The Lost variant has the potential to be better, but it's a total bitch to gem, so unless you love insane grinding the Normal is your best bet for your sanity lol

Last edited:

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
e3IEZ97.gif

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
No reason not to use them really. Also, I would do 4-1 or 5-1 next - partly for loot, partly because Latria is awesome and worth saving!

I've been watching Aegon of Astora's playthrough on YT and he had problems with the Armour Spider too and ended up cheesing it with a bow from the back of the tunnel which I didn't even know was possible. It's a boss I've never had trouble with and the type of Souls boss I enjoy - monsters with visual/audio tells and dodging - he probably would've realised what to do eventually, but I found it interesting how different people have trouble with different bosses.

Gonna do 4-1 then. Totally agree with the boss thing. I breezed through a lot of the non-DLC Dark Souls and BB bosses that people had issues with but I randomly got stonewalled by fucking Sif of all people.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Arcane orientated. Investment in strength and dex will do ya wonders too. You can also rock the Ludwig's Holy Blade as a complementary weapon to cover a lot of options.

50/25/50 STR/SKL/ARC. If its too much for your build atleast no less than 25/25/50.

Moonlight Sword is a pretty demaning weapon in terms of stats, because the regular attacks still scale better with STR, yet the beams's special attacks are ARC.

And because how scaling works, leveling SKL at 25 gives better returns that the other stats past 25 for regular attacks, so it's recomended to level it up too.

For gems you want nourishing gems (the ones that raises all damage). There's some easy farming ones from Gargolyes in Chalices. With this you can easily gem the normal version of the sword. The Lost variant has the potential to be better, but it's a total bitch to gem, so unless you love insane grinding the Normal is your best bet for your sanity lol

You guys are awesome. Thanks! Now I just need someone to help me get the damn sword :p

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I love how Pyromancer Zoey just casually walks towards you, she doesn't run or anything, no fucks given there.

She knows you will be busy staring at her chest because holy shit. :P

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are awesome. Thanks! Now I just need someone to help me get the damn sword :p

If you need help for the fight we can coop it!

I love how Pyromancer Zoey just casually walks towards you, she doesn't run or anything, no fucks given there.

She knows you will be busy staring at her chest because holy shit. :P

It's weird how that top basically give you a couple of extra bust sizes :/

Oct 25, 2017
Well I finished Scholar of the First Sin. 46 hours, SL 167. Here are my thoughts.

- I hate the health capping mechanic. I assume it was designed to force you out of hollow and into interactions with other players but was that really a problem with the first game? It's a form of punishment that doesn't feel harsh or fair, just bad. It's especially noticeable when you're trying to work out a boss. Oh look, I have to restore my humanity every three deaths or so. Cool.
- Equipment durability being a thing is another mechanic I hate. Low weapon durability is something I hate in any RPG but it feels especially egregious here, especially in the DLC areas. Was this meant to force the player into switching their set-up and trying new things? It doesn't really succeed at that either since durability wear rates fall in this weird range of being durable enough for most runs but also are in danger of breaking enough to annoy you. It is just not a stat you enjoy having to pay attention to.
- The addition of destructible sections of the environment was interesting. I stumbled across most of those areas by accident, with an explosion or powerful enemy knocking down a wall unexpectedly. It didn't happen often but it was a fun little moment of discovery every time it did.
- The level design was all over the place but for the most part I enjoyed it. Individual areas rival DS1 at times but the disjointed nature of the world and lack of cohesion hurt the game overall. It's the weakest level design of any of the Soulsborne games (haven't played DS3 yet) but was still worth my time and an enjoyable experience.
- That said, boss runs were often more difficult than the bosses themselves. That seems ass-backwards to me. I don't need a bonfire ten feet from the boss but I died way more trying to get to Executioner's Chariot or the Ruin Sentinels than I did to the bosses themselves (although Ruin Sentinels was a pretty good fight). And it may seem to odd to complain about this here, but I also don't care too much for the game removing enemies after I've killed them a certain number of times. It would usually happen after I've already mastered the route. I'd rather they designed a better run to the boss than make it easier for you after so many attempts.
- The bosses in general were pretty disappointing. I can't even remember half of them and I just finished the game. There are a good number of bosses that are functionally fine but don't offer much of a challenge to a Soulsborne veteran and then there is shit like the Rat Vanguard. I can say that the only boss who I had to really study and learn inside out was the Fume Knight, which was a truly superb fight.
- The Sunken King and Old Iron King DLCs were excellent. I really, really loved exploring those areas and the bosses were generally a step above the base game. Brume Tower especially, working your way down that spiraling furnace was a real treat.
- Ivory King was alright but I didn't enjoy the boss fights and the weapon durability wear was absurd.
- Despite all my complaints, I really enjoyed the game. The Dark Souls core is still there and that alone is enough to hook me for hours. Also I'll give a shout-out to the dead zone fix mod, which saved me from having any issues with control responsiveness.

Any tips or recommended builds before I start DS3?

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well I finished Scholar of the First Sin. 46 hours, SL 167. Here are my thoughts.

- I hate the health capping mechanic. I assume it was designed to force you out of hollow and into interactions with other players but was that really a problem with the first game? It's a form of punishment that doesn't feel harsh or fair, just bad. It's especially noticeable when you're trying to work out a boss. Oh look, I have to restore my humanity every three deaths or so. Cool.
- Equipment durability being a thing is another mechanic I hate. Low weapon durability is something I hate in any RPG but it feels especially egregious here, especially in the DLC areas. Was this meant to force the player into switching their set-up and trying new things? It doesn't really succeed at that either since durability wear rates fall in this weird range of being durable enough for most runs but also are in danger of breaking enough to annoy you. It is just not a stat you enjoy having to pay attention to.
- The addition of destructible sections of the environment was interesting. I stumbled across most of those areas by accident, with an explosion or powerful enemy knocking down a wall unexpectedly. It didn't happen often but it was a fun little moment of discovery every time it did.
- The level design was all over the place but for the most part I enjoyed it. Individual areas rival DS1 at times but the disjointed nature of the world and lack of cohesion hurt the game overall. It's the weakest level design of any of the Soulsborne games (haven't played DS3 yet) but was still worth my time and an enjoyable experience.
- That said, boss runs were often more difficult than the bosses themselves. That seems ass-backwards to me. I don't need a bonfire ten feet from the boss but I died way more trying to get to Executioner's Chariot or the Ruin Sentinels than I did to the bosses themselves (although Ruin Sentinels was a pretty good fight). And it may seem to odd to complain about this here, but I also don't care too much for the game removing enemies after I've killed them a certain number of times. It would usually happen after I've already mastered the route. I'd rather they designed a better run to the boss than make it easier for you after so many attempts.
- The bosses in general were pretty disappointing. I can't even remember half of them and I just finished the game. There are a good number of bosses that are functionally fine but don't offer much of a challenge to a Soulsborne veteran and then there is shit like the Rat Vanguard. I can say that the only boss who I had to really study and learn inside out was the Fume Knight, which was a truly superb fight.
- The Sunken King and Old Iron King DLCs were excellent. I really, really loved exploring those areas and the bosses were generally a step above the base game. Brume Tower especially, working your way down that spiraling furnace was a real treat.
- Ivory King was alright but I didn't enjoy the boss fights and the weapon durability wear was absurd.
- Despite all my complaints, I really enjoyed the game. The Dark Souls core is still there and that alone is enough to hook me for hours. Also I'll give a shout-out to the dead zone fix mod, which saved me from having any issues with control responsiveness.

Any tips or recommended builds before I start DS3?
Is it worth giving Dark Souls II a second run just to see and explore the DLC? I finished the game long ago on PS3 but might play it again just for DLC.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

You can still be invaded in hollow form, but it puts you way down the list. Like you say I think the point was to give an incentive to stay human (thus more open to the online component of the game) since in DS1 there wasn't any disadvantage to being hollow besides not being able to summon. It was also a callback to Demon's which also penalised your HP when 'hollowed' (soul form in that game) with a flat HP drop, not gradual like in DS2 - only in Demon's each time you died in human form the game got more difficult also (the world tendency system), so at least they didn't go that far in DS2!

There's always some mechanics in each game that are a nice idea, but doesn't get implimented the best it could've been. I thought it was a nice touch that you visibly got more zombified as your HP lowered with each death, but beyond that I didn't think it added much either.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, after 10^100 attempts I finally managed to beat Dumb and Dumber. The reward is... wow.
I had to look up Havel's ring and that is certainly a must have for my heavy armor build.

What would be recommended levels in vit, end, and strength? I am thinking of going to 40 in each.

haha I fucking hated those guys. I remember the first time I beat them and felt like I could walk on water. Such a great moment.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, can someone help me out with this bullshit? It seems ever since the last Windows update by Wireless Xbone Controller no longer works with Dark Souls I & II, it works fine with all other games including Dark Souls III. But, it just refuses to work at all for the former games. Anyone know what's up?

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
While attempting to sift through the colossal clusterfuck that is the Nintendo Direct thread, I came across this rather intriguing image:
DTFofj_VMAMyCDN.jpg
Huge chance it's fake so take it with a large grain of salt as always.

EDIT: Dammit

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
the timing is right, but thats also what makes a good fake, so I guess time will tell, but I am optimistic at least

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm guessing the Prisoner's Chain's benefits offset it's damage absorption penalty? I see a lot of people equipping this in their arsenal. That and 15 virtual levels for defensive stats ain't no joke.

Yep, more Vitality means more flat defence and more absorption from being able to wear heavier armour, so it definitely works out in your favour especially at lower levels.

The ring used to give a -10.00 to your damage absorption but this was changed last year to only -4.00 making the ring kind of a no-brainer for almost every build.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I really don't want to pay $20 for DS1 on Steam, but in the 6-7 months I've been keeping an eye on it the damn game just will not go on sale. I bought DS3 a week after the Bandai-Namco sale on Steam where DS1 was down to like $7, and it has not gone on sale in 2 Steam Sales, 2 Humble Store Sales, and various other platforms sales. It's absolutely maddening...

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want a fucking Switch now

edit: Though it almost certainly isn't 60FPS on Switch if there'll be a graphical update

Last edited:

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OMG! The rumors were true (somewhat)! I wonder if the remainder of the trilogy will be ported to Switch later on as previously rumored.

Might have to double dip and get it for Switch for portable goodness and another platform for the graphics.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
YES!!!!! I've been waiting for this announcement for ages!

And it's the start of my half-term. Week off to play Souls!

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I see EpicNameBro retweeting the news about this and not tweeting his reaction at all which makes me believe he already knew this.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you, I'll be at work though but if you're around I'll drop by. Otherwise I'll have another friend help out. I should be home say about 6pm est.

I'm still at work (pretending to be working with all this DS1 talking lol) for 2 more hours. Then going home and all of that, count 3 hours till I can log in.

Usually at 6 pm EST i tend to be at bed but if you are not late I could still be on.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a clever idea!

If there's any ERA Souls players on PSN who'd love someone to go through the series with (the PS4 is basically my Soulsborne box, not even kidding.) I'd love to add you to my friends list for possible jolly cooperation. Going through BB at the moment, will go through the Dark Souls Remaster in May I imagine!

Message me and I'll send you mine as well.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How long did it take you guys to get the Symbol of Avarice? I'm doing the hunter charm trick with Mimic in the Yhorm of the Giant bonfire, gets me some nice souls too, but seeing as you only can carry 5 at a time it gets tedious.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
So are the Switch and PS4 versions going to be very different? It sounded to me like the PS4 version was getting more work and the Switch version was more of a straight port but maybe I just read that wrong.

Will probably get the PS4 version anyway but just curious.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say what I said in another thread

Sounds great except for combat changes.
Think I'll stick with the original with DSFix and mods.

Great news for console owners though.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Whatever changes they make I'm still buying the fuck out of it, just because I wanna see and play it at 60 frames.