• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if it's something with the fact about the barrier being broken and MP being allowed back, like it was restricted even from going back to the dream? Because I would think the flowers are probably shining because of the phantasms/parasites that help atract great ones.

Or if it's just moonlight reflection

There are flowers that look like this that bloom during the night. so I have no doubt it is not a coincidence. Defeating Rom changes the world around the PC in so many ways.

I think Rom is underrated in the fact of how much of the world opens, and at the same time changes for the PC. One of the best bosses/boss ending of all time. Our first introduction to the mysterious queen, as well as the cries, its literally SO GOOD

Last edited:

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah that capra demon fight is all about the dogs and there is some rng to it as well. I always try and get up the stairs right away and then take out the dogs but sometimes the dogs block the stairs and when that happens I die very quickly. Some games I skip the depths entirely just to avoid this frustrating fight!

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Ah yes, the Capra Demon, the most iconic boss in Dark Souls for it's hardness.

Then you remember it becomes a standard enemy later on. That's what I don't like.

Faust

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no dark souls 3 OT? I can't find one from searching and trying to figure out what version of the game to buy.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I never appreciated the music until I hit yayayyayryar village.

That music alone is nightmarish

I feel like in Soulsborne games I'm always too focused on survival to actually listen to the music outside of like.... Firelink Shrine and stuff. It's only after when I watch LPs or whatever do I actually pay attention. Like Ludwig kicked my ass so much but when I watched people fight him later I realized his music was GOAT material in the second phase.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in Soulsborne games I'm always too focused on survival to actually listen to the music outside of like.... Firelink Shrine and stuff. It's only after when I watch LPs or whatever do I actually pay attention. Like Ludwig kicked my ass so much but when I watched people fight him later I realized his music was GOAT material in the second phase.

Absolutely agree. One thing I've started doing is that once I've beaten a boss I stick around to help others. Feels good and I get to pay some attention to the little details as well!

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Right now I'm replaying Bloodborne after... don't know... maybe over 2 years. Besides the abomination that is called chromatic aberration and the complete absence of anti aliasing I'm having a complete blast (again). Central Yharnam is much bigger than I remembered. I complete forgot about the sewers and some other places.
And as I'm running through Yharnam I'm getting that typical Soulsborne feeling no other game can give me. The world feels mythical, alive and some kind of "real". I enjoy the worlds of other games, but for me they always feel a bit "limited". They feel like what they are: built for a video game. But the Soulsborne games alway give me the feeling that they are a part of something much bigger, as they are a part of a complete universe. It feels more like a myth or a legend that some knights tell at a bonfire (haha). Don't know how to describe it.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Hey,

Should I buy the Dark Souls 3 season pass on psn? The sale ends tomorrow. I played it on ps4 at launch and haven't touched it ever since. My favourite soulsborne is Bloodborne but then it's DS3 I guess.
Other option is to get Scholar, I only played vanilla DS2 at launch on pc (underspecced too but it worked well enough). Graphics would be an upgrade but I don't know about playing it again only to discover the new enemy placements and the dlcs.

I usually don't replay souls games but I did a full replay of Dark 1 on pc and played Bloodborne ng+ until accessing the dlc and then platinumed via chalices and advancing a bit more. DS3 is kind of recent in my memory still, are its dlc accesible very soon in a new game?

Scholar is 2€ cheaper than the DS3 season pass.

Which dlc is better? How are they compared to Artorias or The Old Hunters (which I have actually played)?

Do I get Nioh season pass insstead? (lol)

Or get nothing (well maybe Life is Strange full season and/or Wolfenstein The Old Blood).

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hey,

Should I buy the Dark Souls 3 season pass on psn? The sale ends tomorrow. I played it on ps4 at launch and haven't touched it ever since. My favourite soulsborne is Bloodborne but then it's DS3 I guess.
Other option is to get Scholar, I only played vanilla DS2 at launch on pc (underspecced too but it worked well enough). Graphics would be an upgrade but I don't know about playing it again only to discover the new enemy placements and the dlcs.

I usually don't replay souls games but I did a full replay of Dark 1 on pc and played Bloodborne ng+ until accessing the dlc and then platinumed via chalices and advancing a bit more. DS3 is kind of recent in my memory still, are its dlc accesible very soon in a new game?

Scholar is 2€ cheaper than the DS3 season pass.

Which dlc is better? How are they compared to Artorias or The Old Hunters (which I have actually played)?

Do I get Nioh season pass insstead? (lol)

Or get nothing (well maybe Life is Strange full season and/or Wolfenstein The Old Blood).

I like both DLCs but IMO DS2 DLC has better level design, also they are 3 instead of 2 like DS3. DS2 DLC is a little different than Artorias, it's one whole level only but pretty big and very interconnected. DS3 DLC1 is also like that but smaller. DS3 DLC has 2 areas. DS3 has the better DLC bosses.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This Hollow always give me a good laugh. I never kill him when I'm down there.

qiCNvpZ.jpg

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Fume Knight, only took me three tries. I thought he'd be more difficult, but once I learned his attacks and how to properly dodge them, it became fairly manageable and I only ended up using three estus' before defeating him. His fight kind of reminded me of Pontiff Sulyvahn, and overall it was pretty fun.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I don't have a PS4 but bought BB digitally anyways, and I'm now at a sleepover and 9 hours in (played for 4 hours back in September).

I'd killed the Cleric Beast before, but couldn't find Gascoigne. Found him this time- I'd missed the elevator shortcut. Killed Gascoigne first try, probably because I've seen footage of the fight before. Cleric Beast was more exhilarating. Had to look up Eileen.

That said, I'm now in the Cathedral Ward and clearing stuff up before I go further into Old Yharnam, which I found. I keep dying to someone with a... Rifle Spear, I think, and I kinda ran out of vials (but I'm not pissed, they're a good deviation from Estus).

This game doesn't feel as interconnected as Dark Souls 1, but it has great atmosphere (though I must say that the framerate brings it down somewhat) and I think it's better about creating labyrinthine levels that loop back upon themselves, which connect linearly. Dark Souls 1's levels had a feeling of brevity around them, Bloodborne feels like it'd take ages to run through the main path of a given area.

As for weapons, the Threaded Cane is sublime. I want to use the Saw Spear too, but the Spear and the Cane have some overlap and the Spear is just weaker (although it's one level less upgraded right now).

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How active is Souls 3 still?

I never played any of the games but with the Remaster announce I started looking up YouTube videos on the series and fell in love with the pure Pyromancer builds I saw for Souls 3.

Anyway, if I get this game I'll also sub a year to PS plus so that I can co op but if the community is dead I'll skip this until it eventually comes out on the Switch.

Oct 29, 2017
How active is Souls 3 still?

I never played any of the games but with the Remaster announce I started looking up YouTube videos on the series and fell in love with the pure Pyromancer builds I saw for Souls 3.

Anyway, if I get this game I'll also sub a year to PS plus so that I can co op but if the community is dead I'll skip this until it eventually comes out on the Switch.
3 is very recent and the community to these games usually lasts forever

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started Ivory King last night and managed to beat Aava, where something happened that has never happened to me before in a FromSoftware game. It took me five attempts to defeat her, and it was on the fourth attempt when we both killed each other at the same time. I dealt the finishing blow just as one of her ice spikes hit me. For a second I wondered if it counted, but when the boss defeated message didn't show up that's when I knew I'd have to try again. I wasn't too broken up about it since the next attempt was when I beat her. It was a fun fight, the only real trouble I had was making sure to remember and deal with the slight delay on some of her claw strikes.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Do you think anyone's jumped off trying to get a short cut?

In all seriousness, that look's awesome - where is it?
That is a staircase in Château de Chambord (it's a very famous manor in France). The developers for all the Souls games always went around Europe looking at the architecture and taking photos and using them as inspiration for all the games like in Bloodborne with all the gothic architecture.

Cologne Cathedral is another example (Anor Londo throughout the series for example has some of its iconic features and details). Photographs do not do it justice in terms of its scale/size until you're there in three dimensions to "feel" its scale.

wYaq5EE.png

PwKr9qH.jpg

E1x8hSt.jpg

VIm2ut3.jpg

THlyaLv.jpg

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That is a staircase in Château de Chambord (it's a very famous manor in France). The developers for all the Souls games always went around Europe looking at the architecture and taking photos and using them as inspiration for all the games like in Bloodborne with all the gothic architecture.

Cologne Cathedral is another example (Anor Londo throughout the series for example has some of its iconic features and details). Photographs do not do it justice in terms of its scale/size until you're there in three dimensions to "feel" its scale.

wYaq5EE.png

PwKr9qH.jpg

E1x8hSt.jpg

VIm2ut3.jpg

THlyaLv.jpg

Damn, those are some large buildings. Amazing. Wanna go and try to dodge roll.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Started Ivory King last night and managed to beat Aava, where something happened that has never happened to me before in a FromSoftware game. It took me five attempts to defeat her, and it was on the fourth attempt when we both killed each other at the same time. I dealt the finishing blow just as one of her ice spikes hit me. For a second I wondered if it counted, but when the boss defeated message didn't show up that's when I knew I'd have to try again. I wasn't too broken up about it since the next attempt was when I beat her. It was a fun fight, the only real trouble I had was making sure to remember and deal with the slight delay on some of her claw strikes.

That's funny. The same thing happened to me with blood-starved beast but I died right after I beat him due to poison. My trophy screenshot just shows the "You Died" screen.

ike_

Oct 27, 2017
Man that defiled Amygdala fight is actually terrifying. The original fight is fine but something about putting that thing in an enclosed chalice dungeon room makes it like nine times more severe.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've played 17 hours of Bloodborne in the span of the last ... roughly 40 hours. Hogging friend"s PS4 like there's no tomorrow :P

Here's my impressions and concerns:
Okay. So. Wow. Fucking wow, FromSoft. Wow.

The combat in this game is fucking SUBLIME. Running, dodging, shooting, parries and viscerals and rallying- they all feel perfect. Not even the botchy 30fps can lessen my enjoyment of the combat.

When I began this run last September, I picked the Threaded Cane and man am I happy about that decision. I'm still using it 20+ hours into the game as my main weapon, and it's perfect. I'm also agonizing myself over whether my secondary should be Ludwig or the saw spear (low damange but swinging it feels really good). Probably Ludwig.

As for the world/level design.... Level design is A+, especially in the Cathedral Ward and of course Central Yharnam. Levels keep looping back upon themselves. I noticed that they're extremely big compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2's areas. I'd be happy to see more interesting shortcuts, but the levels sre great.

Sadly, the world's interconnectivity isn't as up to par. It just doesn't feel like there's a very cohesive world here, with how big the world is and how you need to use lanterns to get around. More interesting shortcuts, especially vertical ones, would be cool. I dunno, perhaps I just feel this way because I binged hard. That's not to say the game is linear though, I have four different places to try right now (Forbidden Woods, The Lecture Hall, Hypogian Gaol, the first Chalice), beyond where I am. I'll go by order of the headstones I think. I wish I hadn't looked up what the tonsil stone did and only used it later, I feel I'd have appreciated it more, then. (I already know about the game's tonal shift though.) I went to the Nightmare Frontier and didn't really feel anything about it even though it seemed significant.

The performance usually isn't jarring so long as I don't change the direction of the camera very fast. And beyond that, the game is absolutely wonderful graphically- besides the lack of anti-aliasing perhaps.

However, perhaps due to the nighttime setting, I feel that the color palette is somewhat samey between levels and that makes them kind of blend together. Would have to revisit Central Yharnam to make up my mind about it. But especially given how big the levels are, it's a bit overwhelming.

There seems to be far less actual NPCs around. Eileen is the only one I've found (and I looked her up) alongside Alfred.

And lastly, on items and lore- what lore I have been able to dig up is amazing stuff, there just isn't much of it. I appreciate the brevity of having very few weapons, but there's practically no interesting item I picked up from the environment in general- looted one set of armor, found only one or two weapons, almost nothing that isn't yet another consumable. I've bought the majority of the interesting items I have so far, and given how (relatively) little loot is available even to buy, I wish there's been some more to expand upon the lore. I've seen almost any item I have on the loading screens already. There's especially little information out on side characters/important people/small stories concerning one or two minor characters.

I crawled the wikis a little to find out some little things (is Amelia optional given how important the skull seems to be? etc.) and got some lore spoilers (who the skull belongs to, seeing Amygdala ahead of time, details on the Great Ones/Old Ones, the stuff about the cosmic horror, etc.) sadly.

So yeah. GOAT tier combat, wonderful atmosphere, a bit samey levels/level design, somewhat weak interconnectivity(between levels), too little lore. That's where I'm at right now, and this is a beautiful game in every way.

Milijango

Oct 27, 2017
So I've played 17 hours of Bloodborne in the span of the last ... roughly 40 hours. Hogging friend"s PS4 like there's no tomorrow :P

In practical terms, Bloodborne is not very interconnected compared to the first Dark Souls (though it still runs laps around Dark Souls 2 and 3, which don't even make the effort to do it). I get the idea that this is a consequence of the size of the individual areas, which are simply too large to overlap. That said, there is one loop in there that I thought was incredible, and the game features really nice shortcut design overall. On the other hand, I just can't get behind the idea that the world doesn't feel cohesive - on the contrary, this is the densest, most believable world From has made to date.

It is true that less of the story is conveyed through item descriptions (as there are simply fewer items) but that definitely doesn't mean there isn't as much lore. There's a series on youtube called Bloodborne Up Close that looks at actual enemy, NPC, and building designs for references. It is centered upon areas you haven't seen yet so I'd wait on that one.

It is a shame that you were spoiled on the thematics of the second half, though. I managed to figure out the Tonsil Stone puzzle and get into the Nightmare Frontier on my own back when the game came out, and that was just such a surprise.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That said, there is one loop in there that I thought was incredible, and the game features really nice shortcut design overall. On the other hand, I just can't get behind the idea that the world doesn't feel cohesive - on the contrary, this is the densest, most believable world From has made to date.
Where's this loop you felt was incredible, unless it's in a place I haven't been to? (I'm ok with learning only one of the areas if it's between two zones :p)

And as for the "the world doesn't feel cohesive" remark, I wasn't talking about the atmosphere (that's wild, only thing I'd knock it for there is that I'd love to see a place with music besides the Dream) but I meant that it felt hard to get my bearings as to where I was (like how you can look up in the swamp and see the entire area in Blighttown in DS1 for example), but that's also due to just how big the areas are- it's hard to feel that a place is familiar the way, say, the abandoned church in the Undead Parish is.

Deleted member 15497

Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame DS2 and DS3 aren't as interconnected as the start of DS1, but having bonfire warp available from the start makes shortcuts pretty worthless

Milijango

Oct 27, 2017
Where's this loop you felt was incredible, unless it's in a place I haven't been to? (I'm ok with learning only one of the areas if it's between two zones :p)

And as for the "the world doesn't feel cohesive" remark, I wasn't talking about the atmosphere (that's wild, only thing I'd knock it for there is that I'd love to see a place with music besides the Dream) but I meant that it felt hard to get my bearings as to where I was (like how you can look up in the swamp and see the entire area in Blighttown in DS1 for example), but that's also due to just how big the areas are- it's hard to feel that a place is familiar the way, say, the abandoned church in the Undead Parish is.

Places with music outside of the dream? What about Hypogean Gaol? There's a decent amount of other areas hidden in each skybox, though as the architecture isn't as immediately distinctive as different zones in Lordran, you'll probably overlook it on your first playthrough. Still, as soon as you walk out of Iosefka's Clinic and head through the first gate, you'll see the Great Bridge where you fought Cleric Beast, the Aqueduct Bridge (the area with the fireball before Gascoigne), Blood-starved Beast's boss arena directly beneath it, all of Central Yharnam on the right and most of Cathedral Ward on the left. As for a place like Nightmare Frontier, well... while you did reach it through a loading screen, let's just say it's not simply sitting inside its own pocket dimension.

The most significant loop in the game involves the Forbidden Woods, linking it to another area.

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
My Bloodborne replay is going pretty well. Central Yharnam is completely explored.

Was a bit afraid of Father Gascoigne because I had really bad memories. It ended up that I beat him first try. This time I'm trying to counter the harder enemies as much as possible with the pistol. It makes the game A LOT easier. Gascoigne didn't hit me once until his final form, but even then it was pretty easy to counter and finally beat him.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Those Bloodlickers in Bloodborne is no joke, they hit hard as fuck and are impossible to dodge.

Please help.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The most significant loop in the game involves the Forbidden Woods, linking it to another area.
Found it.
who's the woman I killed in the clinic? I forgot her name, I mean the woman who told me to bring her people to cure. I'd sent one person to her, that person...or thing.... dropped Arianna's shoes. Also got the Cainhurst summons. Oh dear

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Found it.
who's the woman I killed in the clinic? I forgot her name, I mean the woman who told me to bring her people to cure. I'd sent one person to her, that person...or thing.... dropped Arianna's shoes. Also got the Cainhurst summons. Oh dear

Iosefka...except:

you killed her imposter. At a certain point in the game, some imposter takes her place and instead of curing people, turns them into the blue alien type creatures. There's actually a few subtle clues - her voice changing, you can look through a patch of window and her character model has changed slightly (she's holding a weapon now if I remember correctly). The real Iosefka has also been turned into one of the creatures as well. Also, if you'd let her live she will have eventually 'given' you an item that seems useless but is pretty important lore and ending wise. If you really want to know, give me a shout!

You haven't - yet - missed anything as you have an extra chance to pick up the item...

Anyway, just played through my first go of Dark Souls: The Board Game and surprisingly pleased with how the mechanics have been copied over to the game - you have to try and learn boss patterns, when you walk onto a new tile the encounter card is turned over, showing you what you will see each time, you have to make choices between risking your stamina for a big attack - it seems like they've got a lot of the systems down. It is quite complex - at least to a non-specialist board game player - but it seems pretty good. I can see it getting a bit repetitive, but that's what the expansions are for!

Oct 25, 2017
Whew boy, just barely survived Sister Friede on my first attempt. No Estus and just a smidge of health left. Second half of the fight wasn't that bad once I figured out what was going on. Great fight and... wait, why is she reviving again? Oh fuc-

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Whew boy, just barely survived Sister Friede on my first attempt. No Estus and just a smidge of health left. Second half of the fight wasn't that bad once I figured out what was going on. Great fight and... wait, why is she reviving again? Oh fuc-

I usually despise multiple phase fights but this one I really dug.

That scream the father does is chilling.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Iosefka...except:

you killed her imposter. At a certain point in the game, some imposter takes her place and instead of curing people, turns them into the blue alien type creatures. There's actually a few subtle clues - her voice changing, you can look through a patch of window and her character model has changed slightly (she's holding a weapon now if I remember correctly). The real Iosefka has also been turned into one of the creatures as well. Also, if you'd let her live she will have eventually 'given' you an item that seems useless but is pretty important lore and ending wise. If you really want to know, give me a shout!

You haven't - yet - missed anything as you have an extra chance to pick up the item...

Anyway, just played through my first go of Dark Souls: The Board Game and surprisingly pleased with how the mechanics have been copied over to the game - you have to try and learn boss patterns, when you walk onto a new tile the encounter card is turned over, showing you what you will see each time, you have to make choices between risking your stamina for a big attack - it seems like they've got a lot of the systems down. It is quite complex - at least to a non-specialist board game player - but it seems pretty good. I can see it getting a bit repetitive, but that's what the expansions are for!
I'm kinda sorta trying to have an imperfect blind run (but I got my little impulsive ass spoiled, yep), so I guess I won't ask you about it. That sounds fiendishly interesting though, I didn't even know you could see her at all, not to mention realize her voice changes... I thought Iosefka was the guy in the beginning cutscene, haha.