• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Darksiders 3 is Souls-like?

Apparently! Lots of dodging, interconnected world, soul banking and 'bonfires'. Some other similarities too, but it seems that was the next genre they wanted to play with. I'm reticent to try it though because I need the rpg mechanics too and Darksiders 3 looks pretty bare in that regard.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
kaishek Have you played Nioh? I think it's by far the best of the 'soulslikes'. It's clearly influenced by Dark Souls in just the right ways, while still managing to feel unique and distinct enough to be a fantastic game in its own right. And it's currently on sale!

I think DS3 might be my favorite of all the Souls games (which is probably blasphemy to some).

I loooove that game.

Nah, I guess it'd be more blasphemous to say that DS2 is your favorite.

DS3 is extraodrinary and in many ways it's the best, most polished iteration of what they've been doing since Demon's. If it weren't so gosh darn linear it'd be up there with DS1 in my book.

Darksiders 3 is Souls-like?

You lose your souls when you die and then you can go back and collect them, and you replenish your healing item at the 'bonfire', so I guess that's why people are calling it a Soulslike.

I haven't played Darksiders 3 (and I doubt I will seeing as to how I never liked what I played from 1 and 2), but personally I'd be very hesitant in calling a game without Stamina management soulslike since it's such fundamental mechanic for those games.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
I've played about 40 hours of Nioh and feel like I've hardly made a dent lol It is very good but kinda wore me down with its inventory and mission system. I'm super excited for Nioh 2 to perfect the formula, it could be truly special.

Also gonna throw my hat in there with the "DS3 da best" crowd. Probably just because there was no part in it I regret going through in repeat playthroughs like I do with everything after O & S in 1 or some of the ill-conceived areas in 2.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Sister Friede solo, after god knows how many tries.

One of the best bosses in the series.

I have Nameless King, Midir, Gael, and the final boss of the game left. Hoping I can nock a few more of them down within the next few days but I've tried King and Midir and they're both tough as nails. But if I could manage Friede they should be doable.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just beat Sister Friede solo, after god knows how many tries.

One of the best bosses in the series.

I have Nameless King, Midir, Gael, and the final boss of the game left. Hoping I can nock a few more of them down within the next few days but I've tried King and Midir and they're both tough as nails. But if I could manage Friede they should be doable.
Friede is more brutal than all of those so you should be fine. Good luck!

SaltySakura

Oct 27, 2017
Hey soulsERA,
i just bought DS3 + DLC. This will be my christmas game 2018. I want to play it blind on my first playthrough but i have to ask one little thing here. Are the optional areas and bosses easy to miss? I played and finished most from soft games so i know about hints in item descriptions etc.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Hey soulsERA,
i just bought DS3 + DLC. This will be my christmas game 2018. I want to play it blind on my first playthrough but i have to ask one little thing here. Are the optional areas and bosses easy to miss? I played and finished most from soft games so i know about hints in item descriptions etc.

There is one or two that I think are easy to miss. If you want a couple of hints, check spoiler below.

A bridge can also become a ladder.

When you find the Consumed King, remember the way to Ash Lake.

The other optional area - and the best one - should be easy to work out if you're used to From Soft.

Hope you enjoy it - I'm currently on a play through for Christmas and although I was initially disappointed, I'm really enjoying it this time.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Hey soulsERA,

There's one optional boss in each of the DLC; neither is easy to miss if you explore thoroughly.

SaltySakura

Oct 27, 2017
There is one or two that I think are easy to miss. If you want a couple of hints, check spoiler below.

A bridge can also become a ladder.

When you find the Consumed King, remember the way to Ash Lake.
The other optional area - and the best one - should be easy to work out if you're used to From Soft.

Hope you enjoy it - I'm currently on a play through for Christmas and although I was initially disappointed, I'm really enjoying it this time.

There's one optional boss in each of the DLC; neither is easy to miss if you explore thoroughly.

Thanks! The spoiler tag info is great. Exactly what i was looking for. I am starting my journey right now. Praise the Sun!

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Stay in front of its face, bait its attacks and then hit the head, rinse repeat. Fight him like you would Amygdala in the Defiled Dungeon.
Thanks - good advice.

I've beaten Midir and Nameless King now. Both amazing fights. Midir hits hard but doesn't have a super varied moveset. Nameless King was a blast because its just constant dodging.

Gael and Soul of Cinder are left. Paranoid I'll accidentally send myself to NG+ after Soul of Cinder so the plan is to do Gael first.

Took out four bosses (Freide, Nameless King, Midir, Spear of the Church) this long weekend so far. Feels great!

Hey soulsERA,

If you're planning on playing through multiple times maybe no big deal, but if you only want to play it once, I'd keep an eye on a game progress route just so you don't miss any large hidden areas. I missed one and by the time I got back to it I was so overleveled I just steamrolled through.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say that I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn and I just heard Marvelous Chester's voice.

That's good enough reason to play it.

God, I love his voice so much.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
So i think its time to get Dark Souls 3, anybody know if i can buy the retail game of the year (fire fades) edition from whatever region, or if the dlc or something is locked?

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Gael is dead. Just the final boss left.

DLC had such good fights, god damn. Though Gael's first phase was starting to annoy me - its very slow and methodical compared to the later stages. Less fun to replay.

EDIT: Thats the game! Final boss was easy - I was too over powered.

Great game. Absolutely wonderful. Still have to play DS2 though I really wish I could go back and play the DLC from the first game without replaying the entire game - still bitter I missed it.

But first, I think, Hollow Knight.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
It's official. Less than a hundred days to go.

Might have got £75 in PSN codes for Christmas. Might have pre-ordered Sekiro. Might have then also bought God of War in the sales, costing me only £5 extra.

Might have been a good day!

Also, I've done all of DS3 in my recent playthrough apart from the DLC and the final boss. I've really enjoyed it but I'm not that interested in the Painted World of Ariandel. Sister Friede is a great boss fight but I'd like to be able to just warp to there and start that fight. It's probably my least favourite of all Souls/Bloodborne DLC - I just find the area itself a little bit boring and bland.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Might have got £75 in PSN codes for Christmas. Might have pre-ordered Sekiro. Might have then also bought God of War in the sales, costing me only £5 extra.

Might have been a good day!

Also, I've done all of DS3 in my recent playthrough apart from the DLC and the final boss. I've really enjoyed it but I'm not that interested in the Painted World of Ariandel. Sister Friede is a great boss fight but I'd like to be able to just warp to there and start that fight. It's probably my least favourite of all Souls/Bloodborne DLC - I just find the area itself a little bit boring and bland.

I enjoyed exploring the area the first time but it's definitely the weakest DLC they've made.

I'd much have preferred a single DLC ala Old Hunters that was more cohesive but I guess they had to justify the existence of the season Pass.

Oct 29, 2017
I Love the Painted World of Ariandel and it has a really good surprising shortcut. It's short but just adds a lot of great things.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
When do sorcery builds get good in DS3?

I love my DS1 spellswords and magic glass cannon builds, but it just doesn't seem to be there in DS3. I started out pew-pewing stuff, but it's so weak, why would I bother when I can just mash R1 stuff to death. I soon moved on to magic weapon sword buffing because of that, but that's so boring to me. I'm now at Aldrich and without looking it up I kind of know he's magic-resistant, but my best spells do crap damage any way, so I might as well just Carthus rouge up and R1 spam like always?

At this rate it looks like it's going to be the Archives until I get some goodies, and that is very late game. Same goes for low level builds - they locked both PW and RTSR in Lothric Castle? Can you defeat the Dancer at SL1 with no weapon upgrade? I know I can't! Now DS1 I could suicide run for both of those right from the start of the game and have done so many times. If they're locking off pvp with weapon upgrades as well as Soul Level, why be so mean with locking off all the fun goodies?

This is my problem with DS3, I feel like they blocked off all the fun ways to 'game the system' that made DS1 so fun and replayable. Less open world at the start, pvp nerfed by weapon upgrade matching, upgrade materials are tightly locked-off by area access etc. It makes it far less fun on repeat plays for me because I always end up defaulting to the same type of character by necessity.

Then there's the Blue Estus issue - No other build has to make a choice between healing and damage output. Just don't use weapon arts, there's absolutely no other disadvantage to non-spell builds vs magic users. I actually think they didn't do a terrible job of balancing this because I rarely run out of Yellow Estus and have enough Blue as long as I'm economical with it in the same way I would be in DS1. But it's a very inelegant way of balancing to me and probably the easy way out for them vs a charges system like in DS1. They could still have a cast charge refill like an Estus refill in DS3 and that would strike the right balance for me. It reminds me of Pyro builds in DS1 vs other spell builds - Pyro was always at an advantage because they didn't have to spend stats for damage output, whereas magic/miracle users had to sacrifice other stats to get decent damage.

It's disappointing because in some ways DS3 is the best of the series, but only in a very narrow playstyle is it so.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Red Liquorice Yeah, I have to agree, basically magic builds are incredibly powerful late-game, but it takes forever to get there and you can't really play most of the game as a pure mage the way you can in the other games, which is a shame. It's basically meant for NG+ I guess. IMO that's the biggest flaw of DS3, along with the linearity.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
When do sorcery builds get good in DS3?

I love my DS1 spellswords and magic glass cannon builds, but it just doesn't seem to be there in DS3. I started out pew-pewing stuff, but it's so weak, why would I bother when I can just mash R1 stuff to death. I soon moved on to magic weapon sword buffing because of that, but that's so boring to me. I'm now at Aldrich and without looking it up I kind of know he's magic-resistant, but my best spells do crap damage any way, so I might as well just Carthus rouge up and R1 spam like always?

At this rate it looks like it's going to be the Archives until I get some goodies, and that is very late game. Same goes for low level builds - they locked both PW and RTSR in Lothric Castle? Can you defeat the Dancer at SL1 with no weapon upgrade? I know I can't! Now DS1 I could suicide run for both of those right from the start of the game and have done so many times. If they're locking off pvp with weapon upgrades as well as Soul Level, why be so mean with locking off all the fun goodies?

This is my problem with DS3, I feel like they blocked off all the fun ways to 'game the system' that made DS1 so fun and replayable. Less open world at the start, pvp nerfed by weapon upgrade matching, upgrade materials are tightly locked-off by area access etc. It makes it far less fun on repeat plays for me because I always end up defaulting to the same type of character by necessity.

Then there's the Blue Estus issue - No other build has to make a choice between healing and damage output. Just don't use weapon arts, there's absolutely no other disadvantage to non-spell builds vs magic users. I actually think they didn't do a terrible job of balancing this because I rarely run out of Yellow Estus and have enough Blue as long as I'm economical with it in the same way I would be in DS1. But it's a very inelegant way of balancing to me and probably the easy way out for them vs a charges system like in DS1. They could still have a cast charge refill like an Estus refill in DS3 and that would strike the right balance for me. It reminds me of Pyro builds in DS1 vs other spell builds - Pyro was always at an advantage because they didn't have to spend stats for damage output, whereas magic/miracle users had to sacrifice other stats to get decent damage.

This is a perfect encapsulation of everything I dislike about DS3. Even DS2 is more open and replayable. It's like they didn't like people getting early RTSR and stuff so they just made sure you couldn't get them until you're in the mid-late game. I kind of dislike the whole 'but you can kill dancer early' stuff because it's such a high barrier for entry if you want to play the game in a different order / manner.

It's still amazing to me that in DS1 you can get the Very Large Ember and access to +15 weapons after beating only one boss, if you know what you are doing.

It's disappointing because in some ways DS3 is the best of the series, but only in a very narrow playstyle is it so.

My dream would be a remake of DS1 with all the polish, graphics and QoL improvements of DS3, as well as redisigned bosses that are more on par with contemporary From design.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So has anyone here played The Surge? What do you guys think of it? It's currently on sale and I was thinking it might scratch the itch.

I've heard so many conflicting things about it. Some people call it even worse than Lords of the Fallen, while some praise it as the best Souls-like (Nioh exists so that can't be true ;))

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone here played The Surge? What do you guys think of it? It's currently on sale and I was thinking it might scratch the itch.

I've heard so many conflicting things about it. Some people call it even worse than Lords of the Fallen, while some praise it as the best Souls-like (Nioh exists so that can't be true ;))

Played it, quite liked it. I think it's better than the Lords of the Fallen (that's was pretty much the definition of forgettable for me) but it's not amazing. The fighting is pretty basic, although the idea of having to cut off specific sections in fights is interesting, the level design is fairly good and the story is actually decent, if a little by rote. The main problem is that there isn't much difference in the fighting throughout the game and I think there are only 5 boss fights in the whole base game. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10 - good, can help scratch the itch but nothing more.

I've got up to the end of Ashes of Ariandel now. As with my whole play through of DS3 ive ended up enjoying it a lot more. I wish it had tried to answer more of the questions from the Souls series instead of simply introducing more characters/groups (for example, the Millwood knights - why put in another group who fought an Abyss dragon and are from another land) but the level itself is pretty good.

However, I hate the Champion Gravetender fight. It's a boss fight where, no matter how I start it, I always end up circling round a pillar waiting for his wolf to leave an opening, fighting the camera when he jumps to reset and not doing it quickly enough so his charge attack knocks me for six and all I can see is a screen of fur. Friede however, is a superb fight. It ramps up so well and because Friede basically backs off in the second fight and just does spells from a distance, it feels fair. Love it.

Oct 29, 2017

I went through the demo a couple times and it didn't really pick my interest from there. Boring visuals and has a problem which I always hate in some action games of not knowing how to balance attack animations, with each button press felt like the character did too much. You can make it look cool and weighty without that.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

I have it (birthday present last year IIRC) and played it quite a bit but never finished it. It's fairly competently done, but it's just too drab for me, in terms of environments, atmosphere, enemy design, and even the combat just wasn't ever exciting. Even if it's more "polished" than LotF I found it even duller, as I did finish LotF (though, it was during a Souls "drought" that I played it, basically between the releases of DS2 and Bloodborne). I rarely give up on games, especially Souls-likes but yeah... it's just... boring :(

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Whoever calls it worse than Lord of the Fallen is a fucking troll and liar.
I put 80+ hours into The Surge and could do it again. One of my favorite Souls-like games of this gen.

The game is amazing and the environments are pretty bland but the combat and gameplay keep you going.

People just love to shit on devs once they release a bad game, but The Surge is damn good.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Whoever calls it worse than Lord of the Fallen is a fucking troll and liar.
I'm sure it's just down to taste, I've seen LobosJr say a few times he prefers LOTF over The Surge.

I have both games but have played neither - ok I killed one enemy in LOTF and had to stop playing, it just wasn't going to be for me. I keep The Surge around in the hope someday I'll be bored enough to try it out, same for Nioh (shudder).

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sure it's just down to taste, I've seen LobosJr say a few times he prefers LOTF over The Surge.

I have both games but have played neither - ok I killed one enemy in LOTF and had to stop playing, it just wasn't going to be for me. I keep The Surge around in the hope someday I'll be bored enough to try it out, same for Nioh (shudder).

Nioh is a masterpiece. 270 hours clocked in.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I've played about 40 hours of Nioh and feel like I've hardly made a dent lol It is very good but kinda wore me down with its inventory and mission system. I'm super excited for Nioh 2 to perfect the formula, it could be truly special.

Agreed. Nioh 2 will be something special if they fix those issues. I got a good feeling about it.

Happy new years everyone! Sekiro here we come

ElectricCandidIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Also gonna throw my hat in there with the "DS3 da best" crowd. Probably just because there was no part in it I regret going through in repeat playthroughs like I do with everything after O & S in 1 or some of the ill-conceived areas in 2.

Agreed. Nioh 2 will be something special if they fix those issues. I got a good feeling about it.

Nioh's inventory is strange in that, in Way of the Samurai (NG), it's really not a big deal and actually sort of gets in the way, since you can just pick up stuff that's better than what you have from mission rewards or from revenants. You don't even have to ever use the blacksmith. But as you move into the higher difficulties, it becomes more and more crucial to the point that Way of the Demon and beyond require a very deliberately created build with the gear to match.

So if you casually pick up Nioh all the gear can become just meaningless and a chore, specially if one's used to Souls in which gear is unique.

All this is to say that I feel that Nioh's gear system is actually pretty cool; it's just overwhelming at a point in which it's mostly meaningless to the player and it takes a good long while before it actually makes a difference to pay attention to it. I don't know if it's a problem with a system that needs fixing, or if they just need better filters (it's already pretty good at hiding most of the useless stuff if you dig into the settings) to avoid drowning players in trash. It works in Diablo because that's basically the game, but Nioh has a very deep, complex and challenging combat system and piling all the gear on top of that can be too much, for sure.

As for the mission structure, I think that's one of the game's strengths. I love how you can just jump in and out, not just from mission to mission, but from difficulty to difficulty. It's great and refreshing in a world where everything is open world. I love how your home base is just menus. Another game (MHW *cough*) might have you run around to do chores from the dojo to the blacksmith to the teahouse in a hub, but Nioh is smart about those things. It knows what it is and what players want out of it and it doesn't get in the way of that.

giphy.gif

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

Very excited to see what Sekiro brings us - but I am worried that it will be too difficult for me. The lack of being able to level up and customize builds makes me think that this game will be pretty difficult. However, From has always included ways to lower difficulty within the game, so I'm hoping there will be something similar in this. If I've missed something on this issue, apologies.

Defeated Old Demon Prince last night and - I'm aware it's a bit of a broken record now - enjoyed it a lot in the Dreg Heap. I'm not a huge fan of the way it hurries you along, but I know where the Summoners are, so simply did a suicide run to them and then was able to explore at my leisure. Like the way the level kind of goes DS3 with Lothric knights, DS2 with the Poison Bugs and then you end up fighting in DS1's Firelink Shrine. Makes you feel like you are going through the series right to the base of it all.

Also, The Ringed City is a really well designed level. Looking from the bridge once you've killed the Judicator I realised you can pretty much see all the level. I will never tire of seeing an item drop from somewhere else on the level and working out where it is from the surrounding area.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Metal-Archives held a community poll for the top metal albums of 2018, and here's the result for the top 10, if anyone is interested:
  1. Visigoth – Conqueror's Oath
  2. Amorphis – Queen of Time
  3. Solstice – White Horse Hill
  4. Satan – Cruel Magic
  5. Voivod – The Wake
  6. Varathron – Patriarchs of Evil
  7. Primordial – Exile Amongst the Ruins
  8. Judas Priest – Firepower
  9. Horrendous – Idol
  10. Chapel of Disease - ...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye

Full results here.

Not a bad list, I suppose, but a lot of my votes didn't even crack top 20 (Summoning, Untamed Land) and I was the only one who gave a vote for Deströyer 666's new EP... lol.

Fun fact: Visigoth beat Amorphis by exactly 1 point xD

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me man midir is so hard. Finally beat him after 4 or so hours of runs. The runback makes it so much worse. With that I'm done with all DS3 bosses. Rankings in terms of fun go:

Champion Gundyr > Twin Princes > Gael > Friede > soul of cinder

After beating bloodbourne I'm going to do another run where I dont use any ultra-heavy weapons. Unfortunately I think i cheesed through a number of the earlier bosses by using ultragreatswords. Maybe i'll go with a dex or wizard build.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
For me Dark Souls 3 is my favourite of all the DS games as it was my first. My second soulsborne but first pure souls game. I recently played through it again and I do absolutely love it.