• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
74 days to go until Sekiro. We're almost there, fellows.

DMCV is also coming in March.

If Nioh 2 were to be confirmed for a 2019 release, that would make 2019 an incredible year for fans of japanese action-adventure games.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sekiro also gets to live under the SoulsEra umbrella. I guess we find out soon enough.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just not that excited for Sekiro, for whatever reason. Some of the gameplay looks cool, but also looks a bit tedious to me in places.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I wonder if Sekiro also gets to live under the SoulsEra umbrella. I guess we find out soon enough.

I've wondered about that as well. With what little we know of the game, I'd lean towards "no", simply due to the lack of stamina management and RPG elements.

For the time being I guess this place is as good as any to talk about it.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is anyone playing the Daughters of Ash mod for DS1 PC?

I've watched a bit of a playthrough on YT and it looks like a really great mod.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Gameinformer has been releasing a ton of info on Sekiro; certainly as much as we've gotten since the Gamescom demo. You might want to avoid it if you wish to remain relatively unspoiled concerning the main structure and mechanics of the game, though no new info on bosses / enemies / areas (with one exception) has been revealed yet.

*The game has a hub called the Dilapidated Temple, though it remains unclear whether it's a separate area like the Nexus, the Hunter's Dream or Firelink in DS3; or whether it's connected to the rest of the world like Firelink in DS1 or Majula in 2. It's possible to warp to the temple from the Idols (Ersatz Bonfires) or by using an item, so I think it's safe to assume we'll get fast travel back to the Idols or between idols from the get go.

*The hub houses NPCs that upgrade your prosthetics and your Healing Gourd. There's also a form of Dojo with an NPC that teaches you the game's mechanics and presumably lets you practice against. Merchants and NPCs you meet as you progress through the game will eventually move to the Hub, at least for a while.

*While there's no stat leveling, there are 3 skill trees and skill points are bought with experience points (which you do not drop upon death). Gold is a separate currency from XP and will presumably be used to buy upgrades or items from vendors.

*It's possible to increase your health pool and posture bar by finding items comparable to Heart Containers in Zelda. Same for the prosthetics and the healing item. I wonder if certain areas will be accessible only by means of new abilities (something like a double jump) or prosthetics (a longer grappling hook) . It would certainly be quite the departure from Souls, in which the player is prevented from visiting certain areas either with skill checks or key items. It would make Sekiro feel closer to a "Metroidvania" than previous games.

*Apparently the game is pretty open-ended, though it starts mostly linear. According to Miyazaki: "We feel like Sekiro's probably on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of the freedom the player has to explore the world if we're to compare it to our previous games.

*Particularly from the mid-game onward, the world really opens up, and you have a great deal of choice and freedom about which order and way you choose to explore."

Last edited:
OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Gameinformer has been releasing a ton of info on Sekiro; certainly as much as we've gotten since the Gamescom demo. You might want to avoid it if you wish to remain relatively unspoiled concerning the main structure and mechanics of the game, though no new info on bosses / enemies / areas (with one exception) has been revealed yet.

*The game has a hub called the Dilapidated Temple, though it remains unclear whether it's a separate area like the Nexus, the Hunter's Dream or Firelink in DS3; or whether it's connected to the rest of the world like Firelink in DS1 or Majula in 2. It's possible to warp to the temple from the Idols (Ersatz Bonfires) or by using an item, so I think it's safe to assume we'll get fast travel back to the Idols or between idols from the get go.

*The hub houses NPCs that upgrade your prosthetics and your Healing Gourd. There's also a form of Dojo with an NPC that teaches you the game's mechanics and presumably lets you practice against. Merchants and NPCs you meet as you progress through the game will eventually move to the Hub, at least for a while.

*While there's no stat leveling, there are 3 skill trees and skill points are bought with experience points (which you do not drop upon death). Gold is a separate currency from XP and will presumably be used to buy upgrades or items from vendors.

*It's possible to increase your health pool and posture bar by finding items comparable to Heart Containers in Zelda. Same for the prosthetics and the healing item. I wonder if certain areas will be accessible only by means of new abilities (something like a double jump) or prosthetics (a longer grappling hook) . It would certainly be quite the departure from Souls, in which the player is prevented from visiting certain areas either with skill checks or key items. It would make Sekiro feel closer to a "Metroidvania" than previous games.

*Apparently the game is pretty open-ended, though it starts mostly linear. According to Miyazaki: "We feel like Sekiro's probably on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of the freedom the player has to explore the world if we're to compare it to our previous games.

*Particularly from the mid-game onward, the world really opens up, and you have a great deal of choice and freedom about which order and way you choose to explore."
Sounding really great so far

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm staying spoiler free in terms of area progression and bosses, but I read that and it all sounds great. I mean it all sounds pretty Soulsy, you can switch one method of leveling up for another, it's still the same kinda thing and that's fine.

I'm looking forward to the open-ish world, I hope it's not too much like DS3 where it's basically a straight path until halfway in or so. I would really like to be able to 'go to the Catacombs or New Londo Ruins' as it were, although it doesn't sound like that will be the case. I enjoying being able to say "I see you want me to go that way, but I want to see what's THIS way!" :)

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
So I just finished my first playthrough of Bloodborne and uhh...
Is it common for Gehrman to teleport out of bounds and kill himself?
It's rather annoying since I'm going to have to play through the entire game again to beat him properly.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished my first playthrough of Bloodborne and uhh...
Is it common for Gehrman to teleport out of bounds and kill himself?
It's rather annoying since I'm going to have to play through the entire game again to beat him properly.
Lol that's not normal at all. Did you record this? Would love to see it

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Sadly didn't record it.
Got him down to half health-ish, went into a new phase, and after one of his attacks he ended up on the wrong side of the iron fence that runs around the arena. He tried to walk towards me a bit, then launched another attack and fell off the edge and died.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018

I didn't know this game existed until a few days ago, now? IN. MY. VEINS. First game I will preorder since Bloodborne.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Gough is so friggin great that I really don't want to kill him but I feel like that's what my character would do, especially after slaying the other three. It's the only thing holding me up. Nothing left to do but warp back and fight Gwyn.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Gough is so friggin great that I really don't want to kill him but I feel like that's what my character would do, especially after slaying the other three. It's the only thing holding me up. Nothing left to do but warp back and fight Gwyn.

Ahh, so this is true human nature.
Artorias is in your debt, but thou leavest me little choice…
May you perish, for the good of all!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, so this is true human nature.
Artorias is in your debt, but thou leavest me little choice…
May you perish, for the good of all!

Humans...hmph.

Fitting capper to a rather somber first [full] playthrough all the way around: Laurentius went Hollow, Solaire went mad, Frampt abandoned me, Anor Lando was plunged into darkness, Firelink stayed dead, oh, nevermind the constant, overarching themes of decay & suffering. Wish there was more fantasy like this.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Humans...hmph.

Fitting capper to a rather somber first [full] playthrough all the way around: Laurentius went Hollow, Solaire went mad, Frampt abandoned me, Anor Lando was plunged into darkness, Firelink stayed dead, oh, nevermind the constant, overarching themes of decay & suffering. Wish there was more fantasy like this.

This makes realize that I always have made the same choices and always get the same ending every time I play Dark Souls.

It's strange because I've beat this game dozens of times. Maybe I should shake it up I guess.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Phew. Doing another SL1 run in DS1 and my nadir is once again Kalameet and Manus. I completed an SL1 run before the DLC came out, but have never finished another including all the DLC bosses. Artorias is of little bother as I often use RTSR even in a regular playthrough, but the other two are just roadblocks to me.

Kalameet - I'm fine until I've cut his tail, then I'm lost as to where I'm getting damage in because the only move I feel safe attacking is his tail slam after a swoop. I never seem close enough to run in and hit him whilst he's doing the forward fire breath attack and any time I'm close to him rather than mid-range he's all about the head sweeps which have that horrible lingering hitbox to them. I am going RTSR so damage is decent, just need to git gud or git good RNG I suppose.

Manus I think I just need to get better at fighting in general, I'm still not 100% on dodging several of his physical attacks due to their similarity. I've gotten a lot better at dodging the big hand slam with the long wait before it. If I could just get a handle on reading his attacks sooner I could RTSR it AND enjoy the fight too.

Using a Lightning Reinforced Club and Balder Shield. I've got the Hand Axe as a back-up (regular, lightning, chaos) because the Club's moveset is quite slow for a rapier/dagger fan like me.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hnnnnnnggg! Just killed Kalameet SL1 RTSR! Took between 50-100 tries, honestly couldn't say how many but 2 hours today and a couple on Friday, and finally I had the right mix of luck, moxie and RNG to get him. I really lucked out where he did the forward fire breath several times in a row and I was close enough to run in to take advantage of it. Wow, never thought I could do Kalameet SL1, now just Manus to do. :)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hnnnnnnggg! Just killed Kalameet SL1 RTSR! Took between 50-100 tries, honestly couldn't say how many but 2 hours today and a couple on Friday, and finally I had the right mix of luck, moxie and RNG to get him. I really lucked out where he did the forward fire breath several times in a row and I was close enough to run in to take advantage of it. Wow, never thought I could do Kalameet SL1, now just Manus to do. :)

Kudos. I found him tough on a normal build. I love how this community embraces masochism.

But now you have to beat him at SL1 using a DDR dance pad.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
So I've been playing Dark Souls backwards. After getting, beating and getting the platinum for Bloodborne early last year, I played and beat Dark Souls 3. Now I'm playing Dark Souls 2 and it's not as bad as I was expecting. I definitely see what everyone is talking about regarding enemy encounter design being more mob-based, and how the enemies will track you to the ends of the earth. I still like it though. It's more Dark Souls.

Currently have three different directions I can go. Continue on my path into No Man's Wharf (which I feel I'm overleveled for), try to beat the Ruin Sentinels (which I'm having issues with), or go to the newly discovered Shaded Woods. I like having these types of multiple options and directions to go in.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've been playing Dark Souls backwards. After getting, beating and getting the platinum for Bloodborne early last year, I played and beat Dark Souls 3. Now I'm playing Dark Souls 2 and it's not as bad as I was expecting. I definitely see what everyone is talking about regarding enemy encounter design being more mob-based, and how the enemies will track you to the ends of the earth. I still like it though. It's more Dark Souls.

Currently have three different directions I can go. Continue on my path into No Man's Wharf (which I feel I'm overleveled for), try to beat the Ruin Sentinels (which I'm having issues with), or go to the newly discovered Shaded Woods. I like having these types of multiple options and directions to go in.

God I love to see some people playing DS2.

Try to clear No-Mans Wharf. It will unlock

An alternate bonfire in the Lost Bastille that will make Ruin Sentinels a touch easier.

Have you come across the Huntsman's Copse yet? I'd recommend going there for now or at least in tandem to the Wharf.

Shaded Ruins I would consider a later game area.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

DS2 is definitely better at that than DS3. I actually got lost several times not knowing where to go and I liked that. Made the game feel more mysterious, and menacing.

I second the suggestion to clear out No Man's Wharf.

Do you have the Stone Ring? It can be very useful against the Sentinels since you can stagger them after a couple of hits if you have it equipped.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ruin Sentinels are oddly placed in a first run through because they can be a roadblock for many (they were for me), I would pick one of the other options first and come back when you're a bit more powerful/weapon upgraded.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Do you have the Stone Ring?
AKA the most underrated ring in the series :)

This ring made turned the Frigid Outskirts from a total nightmare into something quite manageable.

The one where you have to fall off a cliff and into the door? I've seriously never successfully landed it and gave up trying.
It's really easy. You don't roll or jump or anything (the "roll" in the video is just an automatic landing animation IIRC). You just run forward in a straight line. I've pretty much never missed this landing, I think people just overthink it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The one where you have to fall off a cliff and into the door? I've seriously never successfully landed it and gave up trying.

Yep, that's the one.

fxOn2KB.gif

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

This ring made turned the Frigid Outskirts from a total nightmare into something quite manageable.

It's really easy. You don't roll or jump or anything (the "roll" in the video is just an automatic landing animation IIRC). You just run forward in a straight line. I've pretty much never missed this landing, I think people just overthink it.

THAT'S what that door is for! I thought it was just a hilarious door into nothingness.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario

So it's like that gap in the NES Ninja Turtles game where you can just walk across it. Trying to roll or jump just backfires on you.

Thanks for the advice.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So it's like that gap in the NES Ninja Turtles game where you can just walk across it. Trying to roll or jump just backfires on you.

Thanks for the advice.
Yep. Although in the GIF Noema posted, the player does die by just running into it, but it's because the player's feet touches the door which messes it up, so you do have to be properly aligned with the door opening.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I remember discovering this via bloodstain. I think I nope'd out of it my first go-around.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The dark souls of preordering art books available for pre-order:

The Ultimate Dark Souls Reference Book

With the epic trilogy now complete, Future Press presents the ultimate Dark Souls compendium book. The enemies, items, equipment, areas and NPC dialogue of each game are all presented in an easy-to-reference format. This beautifully laid out book is designed to make it easy to find what you're looking for--each entry is color-coded by game, and everything is fully indexed.

For newer players, or those interested in the story but in need of a springboard, the compendium will get them up to speed on everything that the games explicitly reveal. It also provides the means to connect the dots and start forming your own theories, while acting as a complete reference book of the creatures, characters and locations that make up these magnificent games. And it's all printed on premium art paper, bound in hardcover with a bookmark ribbon and placed in a perfectly matching, deluxe foil-print slipcase, and--as a bonus--includes four art prints ready to take pride of place on your wall.

Lore Summaries
The core stories and key elements of each game are summarised in a way that removes ambiguity while also avoiding speculation--everything in this chapter is backed up with page references to sources taken directly from the games. Written and edited by renowned members of the Dark Souls community, this is a lore primer like no other.

Detailed Maps
For the first time, we present beautifully illustrated maps for every single area of all three games, including their DLC expansions. These maps feature unparalleled detail and reveal every lore-relevant item, NPC, boss and more.

NPC Dialogues
Every single line of dialogue spoken by the characters that inhabit these strange worlds is chronicled here, alongside the conditions for hearing them.

Reference Ready
The book is designed to make referencing and comparing entries easy, and includes every single item description across all three games. To reinforce this purpose, we've included a highly detailed index and a bookmark ribbon, so you'll never get lost.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My Kalameet SL1 win (after god knows how many fails!), also included a very sloppy Manus win and finally Gwyn in under 15 seconds.

Feels good to finally have a full SL1 run inc, DLC under my belt. I no longer fear Kalameet and Manus.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's pretty amazing Red Liquorice. I'd like to try a SL1 run one day but the DLC bosses scare the cap out of me.
Me too for the longest time Noema, even on a regular run I often cheesed Manus with arrows and ignored Kalameet on NG+ onwards. But I wanted to learn those fights better after watching people like LobosJr fight them on long challenge runs, you get a really good idea of their movesets and what do to without the panic of actually fighting them!