• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm also insanely hyped. I'm 39 years old, and if you'd told 13 year old me that I'd still be getting this hyped for a videogame as a grizzled cranky old man, I wouldn't have believed you. Fitting since I probably hadn't been so hyped for a game since the SNES days. Maybe Ocarina of Time, but even then it was more of a tempered excitement than the hairs-on-the-back of my neck I'm feeling for this game.

I missed the boat on the releases of Bloodborne and DS3, since I didn't have anywhere to play them on, so while I was aware of their release and excited to eventually play them, I was mostly indifferent as I tried my best to avoid spoilers. This is the first modern FromSoft game I'll play day 1.

Concerning the quality of the game, I'm confident in what the team can do. Three possibilities can deflate my excitement:

• The game is too easy, either because of the resurrection mechanic, or power bloat, or something that we're yet to find out
  • The game is too short (a 8-10 hour romp that can be finished in a weekend. That'd break my heart. I want to submerge myself in this for weeks).
  • The game is too linear (don't pull another DS3 on me, please)

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also insanely hyped. I'm 39 years old, and if you'd told 13 year old me that I'd still be getting this hyped for a videogame as a grizzled cranky old man, I wouldn't have believed you. Fitting since I probably hadn't been so hyped for a game since the SNES days. Maybe Ocarina of Time, but even then it was more of a tempered excitement than the hairs-on-the-back of my neck I'm feeling for this game.

I missed the boat on the releases of Bloodborne and DS3, since I didn't have anywhere to play them on, so while I was aware of their release and excited to eventually play them, I was mostly indifferent as I tried my best to avoid spoilers. This is the first modern FromSoft game I'll play day 1.

Concerning the quality of the game, I'm confident in what the team can do. Three possibilities can deflate my excitement:

• The game is too easy, either because of the resurrection mechanic, or power bloat, or something that we're yet to find out
  • The game is too short (a 8-10 hour romp that can be finished in a weekend. That'd break my heart. I want to submerge myself in this for weeks).
I just turned 39 2 weeks ago. I think gaming is in my blood at this point.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I just turned 39 2 weeks ago. I think gaming is in my blood at this point.

giphy.gif

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

I don't think it will be too easy. I'm a little scared it's going to be too tough for me! I'm hoping any initial frustration I get from adjusting to the combat will go once I get a handle on it. I think the other two points are a possibility; They've said it's comparable in length to previous games, but I remember people thinking BB was short initially, so I'm not so worried about that since I think the length of BB is fine, but I think it could be on the shorter end of "similar length".

The last one worries me the most. They've talked about the level design as being like DS1, but I'm not so sure it will be in terms of area connectedness (which is what I think of when I hear "DS1 level design"). I just get the feeling that was something special we won't see replicated (I would love to be wrong). What may be more likely is that the areas have more paths and ways to get from A to Z within them. What we've seen of the first area this seems to be the case - so I think more like a beefed up Undead Settlement rather than a branching paths Firelink or Majula. I'm keeping my expectations in check in terms of linearity, I'm going in expecting not much different to the past couple of games.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What may be more likely is that the areas have more paths and ways to get from A to Z within them.
That's the thing though, IMO, that's not really DS1's philosophy in level design. Levels are usually very linear by themselves, but the non-linearity of the world is what makes it so lively and sprawling and surprising at every corner. I'd definitely argue that DS3, BB, etc. were much closer to "areas have more ways to go through them", but those were by-and-large linearly connected, IMO.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's the thing though, IMO, that's not really DS1's philosophy in level design. Levels are usually very linear by themselves, but the non-linearity of the world is what makes it so lively and sprawling and surprising at every corner. I'd definitely argue that DS3, BB, etc. were much closer to "areas have more ways to go through them", but those were by-and-large linearly connected, IMO.
I agree. What I'm saying is, I don't really believe when they say "DS1 level design" that they mean the same thing we (or at least I) think they mean when we hear "DS1 level design". I guess we'll see in just over a week. Hype! :)

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Had a chance to play more DaS2. Just beat what I can only describe as an uncircumcised frog penis with skeleton arms. In a game of pretty forgettable bosses, that was a pretty good one.

Beat the Fume Knight in the DLC, who was pretty dang tough. I wasn't sure where to go next, so that's why I went back to the main game for now.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Had a chance to play more DaS2. Just beat what I can only describe as an uncircumcised frog penis with skeleton arms. In a game of pretty forgettable bosses, that was a pretty good one.

Beat the Fume Knight in the DLC, who was pretty dang tough. I wasn't sure where to go next, so that's why I went back to the main game for now.

There's another boss in Brume Tower you can fight after defeating the Fume Knight.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to DS2. Have fun :)

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I know Sekiro is gonna be great but I can't help but wish it was more Soulsy. I'm gonna get it and almost certainly love it. But there is just something about the old, dying, decaying worlds of the souls game that resonate with me.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I know Sekiro is gonna be great but I can't help but wish it was more Soulsy. I'm gonna get it and almost certainly love it. But there is just something about the old, dying, decaying worlds of the souls game that resonate with me.
Why do you think Sekiro does not have a dying, decaying world? Idk how much you have seen from the game.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Why do you think Sekiro does not have a dying, decaying world? Idk how much you have seen from the game.

It just looks a lot more bright and vibrant. It looks very much alive. I know it still has monsters and stuff but it doesn't seem to quite have the same horror aesthetic the souls games have.

Also I the fact it's set on earth in Japan too kind of adds to that feeling that it's not a dying world.

As I said I know the game will be great I just would have loved to see a fictional fantasy world like dark souls based on Japanese mythos.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be quite a rabbit hole to go down in Sekiro, at least I am envisioning that. I think the only bit I will truly miss is the connectedness with other players. That, for certain, I will miss from this game. And now I want more Dark Souls.
Don't Give Up, Shadows!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
9 and a bit gigabytes - so not the whole lot but apparently the game on console is about 12?

And it has downloaded now - actual file size was about 9.9 gigs.

The game is currently sitting at 16.8GB on my PS4, though it could well download some additional data at launch.

In other news, last night I fired up Bloodborne for the first time in over a year and I was getting wrecked by Cleric Beast. A boss that had never killed me before. Took me 5 tries to kill it. Since I hadn't played a From game since like August and the closest thing was Nioh, I was trying to Ki pulse everything to disastrous results. I was actually surprised at how much I was dying.

Sekiro is just going to destroy me and throw me into a dumpster.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I was just going to noodle around for a bit in Bloodborne and ended up playing up the Forbidden Woods. My god, this game.

EuiruxF.jpg

Just look at it. Every inch of it is so incricately detailed, even in its shimmery low IQ state. Could you imagine this game running at 4K with better AA? It's still one of the best looking games I've played even as it is.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Dark Souls 3 to scrstch that From itch while waiting for Sekiro, and man, Sekiro in footage looks so much more detailed than DS3. From the blood spray and animations, to the environmental fidelity and character/enemy details, Sekiro looks like a substantial step up

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I was just going to noodle around for a bit in Bloodborne and ended up playing up the Forbidden Woods. My god, this game.

EuiruxF.jpg

Just look at it. Every inch of it is so incricately detailed, even in its shimmery low IQ state. Could you imagine this game running at 4K with better AA? It's still one of the best looking games I've played even as it is.

Probably the best art direction in the Souls series. Such a good idea to have it be Victorian London style.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Going through Bloodborne (yet again) before the release of Sekiro and just got to the Forbidden Woods, and man this has to be one of From's best areas. It's amazing in every way.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Has there been any word about release times of Steam? Are we hoping for a midnight 21st into 22nd release or is it going to be morning/midday 22nd? Talking about GMT here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

I'm playing Dark Souls 2 right now and also just beat Fume Knight too. First phase was fun but that second phase was kicking me for a while. I'm fighting Sir Alonne right now and holy god I am getting annihilated. Almost got him once then bungled two dodges in a row

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm playing Dark Souls 2 right now and also just beat Fume Knight too. First phase was fun but that second phase was kicking me for a while. I'm fighting Sir Alonne right now and holy god I am getting annihilated. Almost got him once then bungled two dodges in a row
Yeah, it took me a while to get used to Fume Knight because some of his moves were so much slower than you would think. That second phase attack with the very slow swipe was easy to see coming (thanks to the buzzsaw-like sound effect), but I kept screwing up the dodge because I kept doing it way too early.

I stopped on the DLC there because I wanted to beat the main game first. I'm now at the part where I can access the Throne of Want, but I haven't explored any of the memories yet.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Interestingly I find the second phase of the Fume Knight much easier. If you wear Velstadt's helm during the battle he'll actually go straight to the second phase.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Just playstyle I guess. I was able to get to his second phase every time. Eventually I got the hang of it and killed him with a lot of health and estus to spare.

This Sir Alonne is giving me a lot of trouble though. I usually don't play with a shield but I might try it. Just hits so damn fast. The hitbox on his dark stab power-up move is a little wonky too. I rolled around him and it visibly snapped me back to carry out the impale animation. It's funny because the first time I saw that move I dodged it every time and in subsequent fights I couldn't replicate. Also he has two like glide-then-slash moves one is fast, one is slow and the dodge timing is a pain in the butt.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yup, grab moves seem to be fucked in Dark Souls 2. I once got grabbed by a mimic from so fucking far, it wasn't even funny. Worse than that GIF, even.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If you like Dark Souls, you should definitely give it a shot. Specially at that price. Is that the complete edition? The DLC is really good, both in terms of content and the new weapons it introduced.
The complete edition, yeah. I've seen a few complaints that the game is padded with repetitive fights, but that won't bother me if the combat is good.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
The complete edition, yeah. I've seen a few complaints that the game is padded with repetitive fights, but that won't bother me if the combat is good.

Combat is amazing - it wasn't my favourite game because I prefer the lore/world design of the Souls games, but if that's not your main thing and combat is, go for it!

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Got Sir Alonne down. The iron passage run to the boss is terrible. They put enemies that slow you down out of reach and an Iron Warrior right before the boss door????

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any of you veterans offer some build advice for DS3?

Not done a magic build before and I'm interested in putting together one that, more or less, uses melee magic exclusively; spells like:

Farron Flashsword (dual wield?)
Soul Greatsword
Dark Edge
Old Moonlight
Lifehunt Scythe
Lightning Arrow
Fire Whip

Not sure where to begin in terms of stat distribution, rings (I guess I want DMR so I can keep my ATT at 30 rather than 50) or catalysts/talismans to get the most out it.

Probably going to try it out in PvP and invasions, so I want to stick around level 120.

Any suggestions? All advice gratefully received!

Last edited:
OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Sekiro release day!

I don't get to play until after work this evening. My shadow is ready.