• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm having such a hard time with the Perilous Attacks. The fact that they can come at any moment when fighting harder enemies means that I don't feel confident when parrying. My brain still can't deal with having a dodge AND a jump button. Seems like something minor but it geometrically increases the complexity of the mechanics since you have at any time four defensive options. In the other games and specially in Bloodborne dodging is almost always the right move.

Here my brain just short-circuits.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only an hour or so in, but it feels really satisfying to just lay waste with a good parry and counter attack. There seems to be mechanics I am still discovering, which is cool. Feels a lot like Bloodborne currently, at least to me.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only an hour or so in, but it feels really satisfying to just lay waste with a good parry and counter attack. There seems to be mechanics I am still discovering, which is cool. Feels a lot like Bloodborne currently, at least to me.

Agree with this a lot - feels like a slower paced, more precise Bloodborne. I'm loving it but it's now 1 in the morning and I need my beauty sleep!

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
All right beat dark souls 2. Still got most of the DLC to cover, they definitely had a good time up to this point. Definitely overleveled because the last two bosses we're fairly on the easy side. Especially Aldia, who's kept sending his attacks in the opposite direction to my location.

I do not plan to get the platinum. I have no interest in maxing out covenants or doing the achievements where I have to have certain DLC characters in certain boss fights. Those are lame as hell.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Those Dark Souls 2 and 3 platinums...

th

LakeEarth are you playing Dark Souls 1 next?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Dark Souls 3. Only have one optional boss and the DLC left, which I will tackle later. Screw the Nameless King boss fight. I'm never going to beat this boss.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Beat Dark Souls 3. Only have one optional boss and the DLC left, which I will tackle later. Screw the Nameless King boss fight. I'm never going to beat this boss.
I probably fought the Nameless King 50 times, to the point that I could beat the first half of the boss fight in my sleep.

My biggest difference maker for me was to get both the ring of steel protection and the lightning defense ring. Turns 2 hits into death into 3 hits, which made a huge difference.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Don't give up! The best advice I can give you for the Nameless King's second phase, when you fight him solo, is to let him come to you. Countless attempts I tried to hug him and roll through his swings to no avail. There is something off about their timing. His lunges/dives, in comparison, are waaaay telegraphed and very 'honest', i.e. they hit you when you think they do. So they are much easier to roll through. You can get a few hits in after, before you have to create some distance again to bait another lunge/dive. Rinse and repeat.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I probably fought the Nameless King 50 times, to the point that I could beat the first half of the boss fight in my sleep.

My biggest difference maker for me was to get both the ring of steel protection and the lightning defense ring. Turns 2 hits into death into 3 hits, which made a huge difference.
We are nameless king bros. He killed me unspeakable times in 2nd phase. It was embarrassing lol.

Only to be eclipsed by Defiled Amigdala. It's like my Voldemort, she who will not be named.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
If Nameless King is really really kicking your ass, you could always respec to use the Dragonslayer Greatshield. 95% lightning resistance makes his second form nearly trivial.

Sure it's kind of extreme and cheesy, but if you really want him gone then it's an option.

All's fair in love and Souls.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Since I started playing these games with Bloodborne, I have never used a shield beyond equipping one for its passive effects. With me, it's rolling or nothing. When I play Dark Souls 1, I think I'll force myself to give it a try.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Digital Foundry just released a technical history of the FromSoft games, going all the way from Demon's Souls to Sekiro.

Since I started playing these games with Bloodborne, I have never used a shield beyond equipping one for its passive effects. With me, it's rolling or nothing. When I play Dark Souls 1, I think I'll force myself to give it a try.

I think DS1 is the game that lends itself best to the sword and board playstyle. Also rolling in DS1 might feel a bit weird coming from the newer games since you can only roll in four directions when locked on, as opposed to the 8 directions you can roll-dodge in later games, which is why people like to play it without lock on.

Poise is crazy broken overpowered in DS1 so you may as well go for a full on tank build with minimal rolling, using a great shield and gulping down Estus even as you get hit.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also rolling in DS1 might feel a bit weird coming from the newer games since you can only roll in four directions when locked on, as opposed to the 8 directions you can roll-dodge in later games, which is why people like to play it without lock on.
See, I just started a new playthrough of DS1R yesterday, after playing through Bloodborne, and I thought something felt off about rolling. But that explains it. I instinctly switched back to simply strafing around regular enemies, catching the odd successful attack with my shield, which is perhaps a good reminder not to make things more complicated than they need to be. Excessive rolling has become something of a meme for a reason, after all.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
a1d68Eb.png
lMcDPN4.png

2oLeJ84.png

Welcome home, good hunter.

Hmm, you still have your senses about you? Light the bonfire and talk about anything Demons & Dark Souls or Bloodborne related.

Sick amazing header custom made from the Raging Spaniard himself, you can find more here. Thanks!

Big thanks to Morrigan, our new overlord, as well as Gbraga for the OT title and all the soulsERA discord fam.

Feel free to join our Discord channel here: [Hidden content]

Feel free to post suggestions for OT, ERA community.

There is no path. Beyond the scope of light, beyond the reach of Dark... what could possibly await us? And yet, we seek it, insatiably...Such is our fate
Hello Soulsera! Replying to get access to the discord :)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm having such a hard time with the Perilous Attacks. The fact that they can come at any moment when fighting harder enemies means that I don't feel confident when parrying. My brain still can't deal with having a dodge AND a jump button. Seems like something minor but it geometrically increases the complexity of the mechanics since you have at any time four defensive options. In the other games and specially in Bloodborne dodging is almost always the right move.

Here my brain just short-circuits.
I know there's the main OP, but I just saw your post at the top of the page and this is exactly what I'm battling too. My fingers don't know what to do in the heat of the moment and part of it is because of having two dodge moves. I'm getting a little better with practice, but it's taking some adjusting. 8 times out of 10 I'm using jump only, but I'm using it way too much rather than standing my ground to deflect - the Souls dodging muscle memory needs to be unlearned.

The game is a Souls game in every way: level design, world building, enemy design, NPCs etc, but they've both contracted and expanded the combat at the same time and it's taking a lot of adjusting. The speed of the in your face swordplay is what's most different for me because Souls is very considered and methodical, you do have split second decisions but not usually half a dozen in a few seconds, over and over and over, it's very frantic for an old geezer like me who doesn't play fast character action games.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I know there's the main OP, but I just saw your post at the top of the page and this is exactly what I'm battling too. My fingers don't know what to do in the heat of the moment and part of it is because of having two dodge moves. I'm getting a little better with practice, but it's taking some adjusting. 8 times out of 10 I'm using jump only, but I'm using it way too much rather than standing my ground to deflect - the Souls dodging muscle memory needs to be unlearned.

The game is a Souls game in every way: level design, world building, enemy design, NPCs etc, but they've both contracted and expanded the combat at the same time and it's taking a lot of adjusting. The speed of the in your face swordplay is what's most different for me because Souls is very considered and methodical, you do have split second decisions but not usually half a dozen in a few seconds, over and over and over, it's very frantic for an old geezer like me who doesn't play fast character action games.

Absoluely. My brain is in full-on Souls-mode when playing, which is why I'm taking so long since exploring is my favorite part of these games and my lord there's so much exploring.

Man, I love Sekiro so much. I don't want it to end. I don't want to finish it.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
So guys I need help making a purchase. I am definitely playing dark souls for the first time ever after finishing bloodborne . I am leaning toward the switch version even though I own a pro and an X , but considering my limited play time I know I'll definitely have more playtime on the switch . I don't mind the 30fps cap personally but does it affect the game difficulty significantly if I opt for that instead of 60 FPS ?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So guys I need help making a purchase. I am definitely playing dark souls for the first time ever after finishing bloodborne . I am leaning toward the switch version even though I own a pro and an X , but considering my limited play time I know I'll definitely have more playtime on the switch . I don't mind the 30fps cap personally but does it affect the game difficulty significantly if I opt for that instead of 60 FPS ?

30fps is better than the way we experienced the game for the first time back in the day, with sub 20fps averages in some areas, so you should be fine. Specially since you are playing Bloodborne which is way choppier and stuttery than DS1 on Switch.

I'd definitely go for the X or Pro for my first experience with the game, but the switch Version should be adequate. I haven't played it but the only issue seems to be the lower quality compressed audio.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
30fps is better than the way we experienced the game for the first time back in the day, with sub 20fps averages in some areas, so you should be fine. Specially since you are playing Bloodborne which is way choppier and stuttery than DS1 on Switch.

I'd definitely go for the X or Pro for my first experience with the game, but the switch Version should be adequate. I haven't played it but the only issue seems to be the lower quality compressed audio.
Yeah I am totally fine with Bloodborne performance , after a couple of hours I didn't even notice it . I don't mind the audio quality as I'll be playing it portable most of the time .

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing DS2 and just made it to Dragon Aerie.
I was told the Emerald Herald would greet me on arrival and give me a useful item and some lore, but she wasn't there. I rested at the bonfire just after the entrance and zapped back to Majula to spend the souls from the last boss fight and she's not there either....
She was in Majula before I went to Aldia's keep, but she's vanished since then.
I can't help think she's died...but I don't know how that would have happened. I'm so confused right now.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm currently playing DS2 and just made it to Dragon Aerie.
I was told the Emerald Herald would greet me on arrival and give me a useful item and some lore, but she wasn't there. I rested at the bonfire just after the entrance and zapped back to Majula to spend the souls from the last boss fight and she's not there either....
She was in Majula before I went to Aldia's keep, but she's vanished since then.
I can't help think she's died...but I don't know how that would have happened. I'm so confused right now.
She can't die. You might've missed her. After the lift up from the previous area, before the first bonfire in Dragon Airie she's on a cliff edge to the right of the rope bridge, you probably just walked right by her :)

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, she's not there. Lots of messages on the ground where she should be standing telling me to do dirty things to her, but she isn't there. It's nuts.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Weird. It's been a long time since I played, but I don't remember any quest where she disappears completely.

She can also be found in Drangleic Castle when you open the door to the end boss, try warping to the central bonfire in the castle, the one by the room with all the statues that come to life.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
You can open the door, it leads to an area that is just a long path to the boss room.

Not there either, again just messages on the floor telling me to thrust her. Quite the mystery, lol.

EDIT: Never mind, I think i did kill her! I watched a let's play and she appears at the entrance to Vendricks room. If I remember right, I got spooked when I saw someone at the door in the distance and I'm almost sure I then sniped the shit out of her. 😂

Oops, but mystery solved.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Abyss Watchers is such a cool fight, the music is epic as all hell.

Wish you could reset bosses like in Dark Souls 2.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Doing a DS1R playthrough, currently at the Depths. Capra Demon went down in only one try, which I almost consider offensive after my traumatic experiences with it in my first playthrough last year. Granted, his dogs almost stunlocked me to death and in the end I needed all ten estus flasks because I screwed up my rolls. But in my memory he was this hugely aggressive boss, when it turns out he is surprisingly tame and slow when faced 1-on-1.

I do think a lot of the supposed difficulty of the Souls games comes from reputation ("good luck", "prepare to die", etc.) and intimidation (bosses tend to be big and imposing after all). When you stop letting those things get to your head and start treating bosses like the Capra Demon and Taurus Demon like beefed up regular enemies, they really aren't all that special.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Abyss Watchers is such a cool fight, the music is epic as all hell.

Wish you could reset bosses like in Dark Souls 2.

I keep wishing Sekiro had a way of fighting bosses and mini-bosses again after you beat them. When I beat my first boss, I thought that the memory of the fight that you get would be some sort of way of re-living the fight like in Shadow of the Colossus but alas, no.

Last edited:
OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I keep wishing Sekiro had a way of fighting bosses and mini-bosses again after you beat them. When I beat my first boss, I thought that the memory of the fight that you get would be some sort of way of re-living the fight like in Shadow of the Colossus but alas, no.

Yes I really enjoyed the
Gyoubu Oniwa
boss fight. Felt good.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Cleaned up the bosses in the Brume Tower DaS2 DLC. Iron Passage was pretty awful, and only one bonfire meant going through it again and again. You know it's trouble when the wiki actually suggests beating certain enemies 12 times to get them to stop spawning. The Blue Smelter Demon wasn't too bad of a fight.

Now checking out the Ivory Tower. Very cool start (pun not intended), and I like the mechanic where I need to light torches but I can't go outside or else my torch will blow out. Not looking forward to when I finally aggro those white witch characters that are currently still sleeping.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cleaned up the bosses in the Brume Tower DaS2 DLC. Iron Passage was pretty awful, and only one bonfire meant going through it again and again. You know it's trouble when the wiki actually suggests beating certain enemies 12 times to get them to stop spawning. The Blue Smelter Demon wasn't too bad of a fight.

Now checking out the Ivory Tower. Very cool start (pun not intended), and I like the mechanic where I need to light torches but I can't go outside or else my torch will blow out. Not looking forward to when I finally aggro those white witch characters that are currently still sleeping.

Have you done Crown of the Sunken King yet? If not, I'd highly recommend you do that first before Ivory King

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Have you done Crown of the Sunken King yet? If not, I'd highly recommend you do that first before Ivory King
No, I made it really deep into it, but couldn't find a damn second bonfire and died, which soured me on that DLC chunk. I read up on it, and apparently I passed by two bonfires, but both were hidden and involved hitting switches I didn't know were switches. I will return to it, now that I know where they are.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I made it really deep into it, but couldn't find a damn second bonfire and died, which soured me on that DLC chunk. I read up on it, and apparently I passed by two bonfires, but both were hidden and involved hitting switches I didn't know were switches. I will return to it, now that I know where they are.

Awesome. I won't spoil it, but Ivory King's final fight is kind of "the end" for the game and DLC. It's epic.

I'd finish everything else before doing it. That includes Vendrick (if you plan on fighting him) though Nashandra could be fought after everything if you want to tie the main game back into everything.

Assuming you're on SotFS

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Awesome. I won't spoil it, but Ivory King's final fight is kind of "the end" for the game and DLC. It's epic.

I'd finish everything else before doing it. That includes Vendrick (if you plan on fighting him) though Nashandra could be fought after everything if you want to tie the main game back into everything.

Assuming you're on SotFS
Yes I already beat the main game. I don't plan to do NG+, but I still want to polish off the DLC to get the "full" DaS2 experience.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I already beat the main game. I don't plan to do NG+, but I still want to polish off the DLC to get the "full" DaS2 experience.

Good for you. As (I hope) you've seen they're pretty damn good DLCs.

Re. NG+: remember DS2 has the most unique take on this. No spoilers, but they add a fair amount of new stuff, enemies and tinker with boss placement. It's a good time if you ever return to it.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Good for you. As (I hope) you've seen they're pretty damn good DLCs.

Re. NG+: remember DS2 has the most unique take on this. No spoilers, but they add a fair amount of new stuff, enemies and tinker with boss placement. It's a good time if you ever return to it.
I've heard it's quite different, but I've already sunk in 40+ hours on this game, and I don't get much time to game as it is. Plus, the (unfun) requirements to get the platinum kinda sealed the deal.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Killing Lautrec and reviving Anastacia of Astora in DS1R gave me the idea to do an Anastacia cosplay playthrough of DS3. Nice detail is that her Fire Keeper Soul also calls her the Ash Maiden. A perfect choice for an Ashen One, if you ask me.

Problem is, the Dingy set she wears isn't available in DS3. I took a look at the alternatives and the only sets that seem fairly alike are the Robe of Prayer (only available after the Dancer) and the Ordained Dress (Friede's set). NG+ is an option, I guess, but I always prefer to start fresh.

Perhaps I could start with the Firekeeper set and switch to the Prayer set layer. The Maiden's set is also an option, given that the Dingy set is basically a slightly altered version.

I still have plenty to do in DS1R anyway, so enough time to work out the details.

Hydef Hyrule

Mar 11, 2019
Going to start a Demons Souls playthrough after finishing Sekiro, go back to where it all began. But I'm conflicted. I want to my first ever SL1 run, but I also want to do a classic sword and board knight. That fluted set is legendary. Decisions decisions.

Anyone have any tips on SL1 in Demons?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im playing DS1 and Sen's fortress is a ridiculous jump in difficulty D: i feel like im doing little damage with my Halberd +8 , problem is i always think its pretty difficult to switch weapons in these games because you need to 'invest shards and souls, and with how rare large titanite shards are im not sure if its a good idea to change plus i like the long range halberd has.its annoying because you do get some interesting weapons in your playthrough.

Any tips? Or should i play other non story areas instead

Hydef Hyrule

Mar 11, 2019
Im playing DS1 and Sen's fortress is a ridiculous jump in difficulty D: i feel like im doing little damage with my Halberd +8 , problem is i always think its pretty difficult to switch weapons in these games because you need to 'invest shards and souls, and with how rare large titanite shards are im not sure if its a good idea to change plus i like the long range halberd has.its annoying because you do get some interesting weapons in your playthrough.

Any tips? Or should i play other non story areas instead

+8 is fine for Sens.

My advice would be:
Backstab the snakemen, it's easy. Just stay cool and circle strafe them when they begin their attack animation. Don't roll unless you're on a wide platform / floor area. This is also an easy way to knock them off the narrow walkways.

If you're two handing your halberd, I believe that's enough to stunlock them too.

You can use all the traps in Sens against the Snakemen. Lure them into the swinging axes, the boulders, and the arrow traps.

Watch out for the last spellcaster before you go across the final swinging axes bridge.

There's a semi secret bonfire right after you emerge onto the rooftops. Look for a missing chunk of a nearby wall, and look down.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
+8 is fine for Sens.

My advice would be:
Backstab the snakemen, it's easy. Just stay cool and circle strafe them when they begin their attack animation. Don't roll unless you're on a wide platform / floor area. This is also an easy way to knock them off the narrow walkways.

If you're two handing your halberd, I believe that's enough to stunlock them too.

You can use all the traps in Sens against the Snakemen. Lure them into the swinging axes, the boulders, and the arrow traps.

Watch out for the last spellcaster before you go across the final swinging axes bridge.

There's a semi secret bonfire right after you emerge onto the rooftops. Look for a missing chunk of a nearby wall, and look down.
thank you thats really helpful, im not used to backstabbing, been trying to use the traps its a bit tricky but it works wonderfuly, gonna look for that bonfire , maybe watch a walkthrough later