• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
darksoulsiii_20190417ccjla.jpg

Itsbeen3000years.jpg

Too bad I can't use it yet, although the 10 Swordgrass needed for the weapon was mostly a nice side-benefit of farming those Ghru for souls anyway.

With those 100k souls I got my base health up to 30, so no more one-hit kills crits by Friede. I also have 10 embers and burned a couple of extra Undead Bone Shards for good measure... if I can't beat the good Sister now, I never will.

Edit: immediately killed her. That felt almost anticlimactic.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played DS3 for the past year or two - is there any new cool builds to use? I heard there was a resurgence in DS3 recently.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That will come in handy. Thanks!

Haven't played DS3 for the past year or two - is there any new cool builds to use? I heard there was a resurgence in DS3 recently.
I don't really keep up with the meta, so I don't know if I can help. But is there any attribute you are leaning towards? And have you played the DLC? Those added a ton of new weapons and spells, too.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
That will come in handy. Thanks!

I don't really keep up with the meta, so I don't know if I can help. But is there any attribute you are leaning towards? And have you played the DLC? Those added a ton of new weapons and spells, too.

Yeah I actually have like 8 or so characters at meta level and played through Ringed City, but I stepped out before Dark builds and stuff became a thing so I'm checking those out. I heard Pontiff Knight GS is really good now too?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Question: I am using a Carthus Curved Greatsword (+10), currently Sharp infused. I could Blood infuse it instead, but doing so causes my AR to drop from ~400 to ~300, while the sword's innate bleed rises from 36 to ~74. Is this worth it? I can see its worth in PvP, but I will solely use it for PvE and I don't really know how well it performs there, and if the extra bleed is enough to offset the substantial drop in AR.

Yeah I actually have like 8 or so characters at meta level and played through Ringed City, but I stepped out before Dark builds and stuff became a thing so I'm checking those out. I heard Pontiff Knight GS is really good now too?
I'm not sure to be honest. I personally liked the Great Corvian Scythe better, but that was purely PvE. (I assume you are looking for a PvP build?)

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Any tips for the defiled chalice dungeon? Currently having some difficulty with it , I just want to get the Yarnham queen trophy for the platinum. Also what is the best source for glyphs to get weapon gems .

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Any tips for the defiled chalice dungeon? Currently having some difficulty with it , I just want to get the Yarnham queen trophy for the platinum. Also what is the best source for glyphs to get weapon gems .

Which boss is giving you trouble?

The Keeper can be parry spammed and cheesed so that it never actually goes to its second phase.

If it's the Watchdog, I personally found this method to be effective. The video uses the cannon to finish it off but it's absolutely not necessary. However, this may not work if you are using a faster, shorter reach weapon. LHB is ideal, but I did it with the Whirlgig Saw and it works fine and I assume it works as well with other weapons such as a the Saw Spear. The moral of the story is: hit the head, don't get greedy, only rush in to hit the legs if he's going to do the fire vomit.

As for Amygdala... I have to admit that I cheesed it with the Simon Bowblade and a ton of blood bullets. Fuck that billion HP abomination. Only boss in the series that I've never killed without cheesing.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Guys, there is Bloodborne leaking into my Dark Souls 3.

a6QQ5Hk.gif

Honestly worth the grind if only for witnessing the weapon art for the first time. I... wasn't expecting this.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys how good is DaSIII?

I felt either burnout or lacked the enjoyment to finish BB. But I loved DeS and DaS1 to completion

Sekiro too expensive right now but is DaSIII something Id like

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
DS3 is my favorite of the series, so I would recommend it to anyone. It takes the best elements from both Dark Souls and Bloodborne and mixes them into one, fantastic game. The boss fights in particular are easily the best in the series. The only big letdown it is the lack of freedom in exploring the world. There is some limited choice here and there in doing one area first and another second, but nothing remotely comparable to DS1.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Beat all of the "level 1s" of Demon Souls (i.e. 3-1, 4-1, etc) and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Some minor issues, like item encumbrance really sucks. Halfway through a level, well too bad, you picked up this 10 pound axe, time to go back. Glad they got rid of that for future games.

This issue is coupled with the fact that there are not a lot of the Homeward Bone equivalents lying around in this game.

Some of the bosses clearly needed some work. Like what the hell was the Adjudicator, he seemed to only have one attack. I'm sure he had more, but but he favored the one heavily in my fight.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They really need to remaster Demon Souls for current consoles already. I want to play it, but I am too lazy to dig up my PS3 and sort out all the wires behind my tv...

Though apparently there might be something in the works...?

As for DS3, I am currently doing a completely new build: dex-only, katanas only, two-hand only. No Strength beyond what is needed to two-hand the Black Blade, and also no shields whatsoever. I tend to eventually go quality anyway and allow myself the use of a shield against bosses. But so far so good. I even spent about an hour fighting Lothric Knights on the High Wall just to learn how to parry with a katana. It has paid off as one of the highlights so far is repeatedly parrying none other than the Parry King himself, Holy Knight Hodrick.

Desire sensor is in full effect, though. On my previous Strength/Quality build, it took an hour of farming and a small fortune in Rusted Coins before the Cathedral Knights gave me their weapons. In my current dex playthrough? This is what the first Cathedral Knight I encountered dropped:

darksoulsiii_2019042188j7w.jpg

The Cathedral Knight GS, meanwhile, dropped from the second greatsword knight I fought. Come on, game...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
How hard is it to parry using that Katana compared to some of the small parrying shields ClearMetal ? It'd be interesting to sort of do a Sekiro build in DS3 using that Katana and using it to parry with minimal rolling.

Some of the bosses clearly needed some work. Like what the hell was the Adjudicator, he seemed to only have one attack. I'm sure he had more, but but he favored the one heavily in my fight.

I think bosses are the aspect of the games that has exhibited the most dramatic changes.

In DeS and DS1 they constitute a component of the challenge and the experience but they are not the central focus and their design shows since they tend to be pretty simplistic or puzzley. In DS1, outside of O&S bosses are there to put a ribbon on the experience of an area. In latter games they are the main challenge to overcome and fighting bosses is probably what you'll spend most of your playthrough doing.

Matthewmatosis has an interesting video on the subject and why the change hasn't necessarily been for the better. While I don't agree completely certainly it's striking how a central role in the game multiphase super hard bosses have become the centerpiece of the experience. The final boss in Sekiro probably has more moved than all the bosses in DS1 put together.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
How hard is it to parry using that Katana compared to some of the small parrying shields ClearMetal ? It'd be interesting to sort of do a Sekiro build in DS3 using that Katana and using it to parry with minimal rolling.
It has been challenging. The katana's parry window is small to begin with (4 frames as opposed to a parry shield's 12), and while it starts on the same frame as medium shields, the weapon's parry motion makes it hard to time correctly. You probably know you start in the sheathed stance and then pull the katana out and upwards, right? Well, the actual parry doesn't start until the katana is moving upward, as opposed to the moment you unsheathe it. This makes it very tricky to pull off. Much more than with parry shields, you have to know exactly which attack will be coming and what that means for your timing. I find enemies like Darkwraiths nearly impossible to parry because of this, since they act so erratically. Whereas Hodrick was actually parry bait with his slow, telegraphed two-handed overheads.

That said, I must admit I am not very good at parrying to begin with and I am not really pushing myself to parry everything. I only try it when rolling isn't practical.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
They really need to remaster Demon Souls for current consoles already. I want to play it, but I am too lazy to dig up my PS3 and sort out all the wires behind my tv...

Though apparently there might be something in the works...?
Crazy that months later, jschreier's speculation is still being taken as fact and assumed to be as such... I'm tempted to say that it's borderline irresponsible from him, surely he knew what he was doing ;)

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Which boss is giving you trouble?

The Keeper can be parry spammed and cheesed so that it never actually goes to its second phase.

If it's the Watchdog, I personally found this method to be effective. The video uses the cannon to finish it off but it's absolutely not necessary. However, this may not work if you are using a faster, shorter reach weapon. LHB is ideal, but I did it with the Whirlgig Saw and it works fine and I assume it works as well with other weapons such as a the Saw Spear. The moral of the story is: hit the head, don't get greedy, only rush in to hit the legs if he's going to do the fire vomit.

As for Amygdala... I have to admit that I cheesed it with the Simon Bowblade and a ton of blood bullets. Fuck that billion HP abomination. Only boss in the series that I've never killed without cheesing.
I can't get the timing right for parrying the keeper but admittedly I haven't tried that much. I have a fully upgraded LHB I'll try this method for the dog , thanks.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My copy of Dark Souls Remastered arrived yesterday. I feel sorry for Nioh, but I will play Dark Souls first... for the first time. It feels like Demon's Souls (except it's 60fps) and it's a joy ;_; I liked (and I'm still liking) my time with Bloodborne, but it's not Demon's.

Oct 28, 2017
This week I have beaten Dark Souls 3 and the dlc, Dark Souls 2 SotFS, and started on Dark Souls Remastered on the ps4.
Nobody seems to want to summon me for coop though. Wanted to get the faith requirement for the sunbros covenant reduced but I haven't had a single summon at all. :(

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
This week I have beaten Dark Souls 3 and the dlc, Dark Souls 2 SotFS, and started on Dark Souls Remastered on the ps4.
Nobody seems to want to summon me for coop though. Wanted to get the faith requirement for the sunbros covenant reduced but I haven't had a single summon at all. :(

DS Remastered has some weird online systems that can restrict you from online play under certain circumstances. If you pick certain weapons, such as the Black Knight weapons, you'll be only be matched with people who have +10 weapons, for example. Even if you never use the weapon, or equip it, or dump it. So at certain points of the game you won't be able to get summoned at all since the people who'd want to summon you wouldn't have a +10 weapon at that point.

And also the online population is kinda low at this point like EasyMode says. I'm happy to have played that version of the game when it was new. You literally would get summoned the second you put down a sign. You couldn't walk two steps in Anor Londo or the Oolacile Township without being invaded. It was great.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Two weeks ago it took me 4 days to beat Friede. Current playthrough? First attempt. Talk about contrast.

(Of course, it is likely only because I recently took that 4 day dance course with instructor Friede that I could immediately tango her to death this time around. But still.)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't got round to the old hunters dlc for bloodborne, should I do it on new game plus or is it better to start a new save?
It's got some of the toughest bosses in the whole game, so NG+ can be rough for a first time through it. They pretty much expect you to be there with a +10 weapon though, so it can also be rough going to the DLC as soon as possible in a new playthrough (after Amelia). I would play on NG personally.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd forgotten how awful the back half of Dark Souls 1 is. New Londo, Lost Izalith and Tomb of Giants all suck. Duke's Archives are decent but man this is rough.

And that makes all three Dark Souls games beaten in a row. In reverse, for some reason I can't explain lol.
... now what the heck do I play?

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'd forgotten how awful the back half of Dark Souls 1 is. New Londo, Lost Izalith and Tomb of Giants all suck. Duke's Archives are decent but man this is rough.

And that makes all three Dark Souls games beaten in a row. In reverse, for some reason I can't explain lol.
... now what the heck do I play?
Bloodborne!

I think it is currently on sale at the PS Store for 15 - 20 bucks (DLC included), if you are interested but don't have it yet.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Been playing DS2 SotfS for the last few days. Last time I played DS2 I... wasn't a fan. Weirdly enough, this time I'm actually enjoying it much more (60FPS do help a ton, tbh)

Maybe it's because after playing DS3 it's easier to appreciate what From tried to do with DS2, being so different from the rest of them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
"Farewell, Ashen One. Mayst thou thy peace discov'r."

Even if I don't pick *that* particular ending, I usually give the Firekeeper back her eyes just to hear her say that line. It is like she suddenly has a personality. Plus the new Firelink music is one of the best tracks in the game. 10/10, would betray everyone again.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Speaking of fire keepers: I always wonder if I have made the right decision when I buy the last of Irina's miracles and she moves to the Firelink tower. She came to Lothric to become a fire keeper so she finally fulfilled her destiny, so to speak. But she doesn't sound the same anymore and I can't help but feel bad for her, sitting in a dark tower surrounded by the corpses of former fire keepers and without a bonfire.

I would have liked it a lot better if she had moved to Iudex Gundyr's bonfire. But that is Dark Souls for you, I guess. Always the bittersweet endings.

Something different. I fought my way through Lothric Castle and made it to the Dragonslayer Armor. As I was exploring the area in front of the Dragonslayer bridge, I looked down and saw something odd. Have you guys ever noticed this?

It is in front of the Dragonslayer bridge, where you find the Red Tearstone Ring and where you can drop off to get Caitha's Chime.

The first screenshot shows a large building with four towers, a bridge leading to it and most noticeably, a bright light source in the forest. The second just shows more buildings. I often take a moment to scan my surroundings and see if there is anything I recognize in the distance (Anor Londo is particularly great for this, just like the ramp past Vordt's boss arena). I don't recognize any of this, so I doubt it is anything more than a skybox. But skyboxes usually have this "flat" look to them and I don't see that here. Plus there is that light source which puzzles me.

Seeing stuff like this makes me think of how cool it could have been if the Cathedral of the Deep, the Undead Settlement, etc. had all been part of Lothric Castle, only the lower parts. Maybe that would have been the world feel less patchwork.

Oct 28, 2017
"Farewell, Ashen One. Mayst thou thy peace discov'r."

Even if I don't pick *that* particular ending, I usually give the Firekeeper back her eyes just to hear her say that line. It is like she suddenly has a personality. Plus the new Firelink music is one of the best tracks in the game. 10/10, would betray everyone again.
I've got a question about that stuff. She says she sees tiny embers in the dark. Is the implication that the age of dark doesn't last forever? Or did I misread that altogether?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Isn't that the Consumed King's Garden?
Damn, I think you are right. That structure near the bottom of the first screenshot, next to the souls counter, looks like the place where that one Cathedral Knight stands. And in the second screenshot I think I recognize the part with the two Cathedral Knights just before the boss arena.

Jesus. I stared at these screenshots for 15+ minutes and did not make the connection. Hell, I have explored this area over a dozen times already and never saw it. This is really cool.

I've got a question about that stuff. She says she sees tiny embers in the dark. Is the implication that the age of dark doesn't last forever? Or did I misread that altogether?
I think so, yeah. After all, the age of fire itself would have ended a looooong time ago if Gwyn hadn't decided to maintain it by any means necessary. Before the age of fire, there was the age of grey, I believe, which was ruled by the Everlasting Dragons. So Grey --> Fire --> Dark. Who knows what comes afterwards. The embers implicate a new age of fire, but it could also be meant as a sign the age of dark isn't the apocalypse it was made out to be.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I think the DS3 dlc is super shitty. I actively hate this.
There are parts where the mob spam is more annoying than fun in both. Ariandel in particular is so well designed but the enemy placement frequently puts it on the wrong side of the challenging/dumb line.

I have no shame in Hidden Body + Slumbering Dragoncrest-ing my way through some areas just to be done with them.