• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
These are the art prints

phaiyWI.jpg

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been revisiting the trilogy after playing Remastered on the Switch. I've been a pretty vocal critic of 2 and I bought the DLC for 3 since it was on sale but I haven't played either in a long time. So between just enjoying Dark Souls again and the Elden Ring hype, I decided I owed it to myself to revisit 2 and 3.

So I'm currently working on 2 (Scholar version) and instead of starting over, I just picked up where I left off. Turns out I was on the Giant's Memories portion, so I was pretty close to the end of the base game. I've actually been enjoying myself so far but I do have a few questions.

I'm not exactly sure where my head was as I was leveling this character, but I apparently opted for a 40/40 str/dex build. I don't normally go quality...so maybe that's the reason. Anyways, I got the Curved Dragon Greatsword and I feel like I've stumbled upon a legit ass weapon for my setup. Is this thing as good as it looks?

Also does anyone have any good soul farming spots that aren't the Memory of Jeigh/giant lord infinite thing? Maybe something that utilizes that covenant that makes stuff never stop spawning?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been revisiting the trilogy after playing Remastered on the Switch. I've been a pretty vocal critic of 2 and I bought the DLC for 3 since it was on sale but I haven't played either in a long time. So between just enjoying Dark Souls again and the Elden Ring hype, I decided I owed it to myself to revisit 2 and 3.

So I'm currently working on 2 (Scholar version) and instead of starting over, I just picked up where I left off. Turns out I was on the Giant's Memories portion, so I was pretty close to the end of the base game. I've actually been enjoying myself so far but I do have a few questions.

I'm not exactly sure where my head was as I was leveling this character, but I apparently opted for a 40/40 str/dex build. I don't normally go quality...so maybe that's the reason. Anyways, I got the Curved Dragon Greatsword and I feel like I've stumbled upon a legit ass weapon for my setup. Is this thing as good as it looks?

Also does anyone have any good soul farming spots that aren't the Memory of Jeigh/giant lord infinite thing? Maybe something that utilizes that covenant that makes stuff never stop spawning?
I seem to recall doing a good bit of farming outside the door to the Throne of Want, where the Ruin Sentinels are in Drangelic Castle. Honestly don't remember if that was still viable into the late game.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

I seem to recall doing a good bit of farming outside the door to the Throne of Want, where the Ruin Sentinels are in Drangelic Castle. Honestly don't remember if that was still viable into the late game.

Yes, thats the spot! did a lot of souls bring there as well, as you can fight 2 or three bosses and there is a ton of enemies that can be killed over and over.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
My dark souls compendium came in. Love it! The hardback slipcase is a nice touch too.

Seems to have the item descriptions in a chronological order according to the lore as well. Interesting.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, thats the spot! did a lot of souls bring there as well, as you can fight 2 or three bosses and there is a ton of enemies that can be killed over and over.

Good call on this spot guys. Each Ruin Sentinel nets 4k+ souls and there's 5 plus a few little guys. For the time being that is more than sufficient.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels good.

Just attempted Manus after reading he was the hardest boss in the series on like 5-6 websites. Didn't watch any vids nor did I summon anyone.

Beat him on my first try. Crazy.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soooo nobody told me that vanilla DS2 is no longer sold standalone, and you basically get a "bundle" with all the DLCs which are still sold, and the base game, which is a HUGE improvement over paying SOTFS' price AND the price for the three DLCs, before.

75% off now too, temporarily

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo nobody told me that vanilla DS2 is no longer sold standalone, and you basically get a "bundle" with all the DLCs which are still sold, and the base game, which is a HUGE improvement over paying SOTFS' price AND the price for the three DLCs, before.

75% off now too, temporarily
And it's even the better version! What a bang for your buck :)

(imo, I know that's not the common opinion, BUT IT SHOULD BE)

I really wish they'd included vanilla DS2 in the Scholar edition and made it an OoT/MQ type deal. If someone's the type of person to play Souls games many times though, it's super worth ten bucks imo

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And it's even the better version! What a bang for your buck :)

(imo, I know that's not the common opinion, BUT IT SHOULD BE)

I really wish they'd included vanilla DS2 in the Scholar edition and made it an OoT/MQ type deal. If someone's the type of person to play Souls games many times though, it's super worth ten bucks imo
I mean even as it stands the "bundle"'s regular total price is 120₺ in my region which is a bit more than 5% of a month's minimum wage, so it's still expensive (and on par with the price of SOTFS).

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls Remaster is on sale for $28
store.steampowered.com

DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED on Steam

Then, there was fire. Re-experience the critically acclaimed, genre-defining game that started it all. Beautifully remastered, return to Lordran in stunning high-definition detail running at 60fps.

Worth it? I can't help but feel like $28 is still a lot for a game that came out in 2011 (and according to a lot of the reviews, is a mediocre remaster job).

Deleted member 15497

Oct 27, 2017
Are you in US? Ordered from Amazon?

UK, ordered from Amazon.

store.steampowered.com

Then, there was fire. Re-experience the critically acclaimed, genre-defining game that started it all. Beautifully remastered, return to Lordran in stunning high-definition detail running at 60fps.

Worth it? I can't help but feel like $28 is still a lot for a game that came out in 2011 (and according to a lot of the reviews, is a mediocre remaster job).

I'd say its worth it if you dont own the PTDE

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I never played the original. I know I'm probably just being cheap. Steam has conditioned me to feel like I'm getting ripped off if I pay more than $15-20 for a game.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Discount goes up to 80% if you already own the older release on your account

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, a question.

I've got vanilla DS2 downloaded, are there any mods I need? Particularly I'm open to a 60fps mod although I also plan to play online so that might not work out

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not even the hardest boss in DS1 :P

Good job beating him on your first try, though. He's not easy by any means.

Then I beat Kalameet on my first real try too. I was on fire, basically.

O&S is the hardest. I platinumed the game back in 2012 but nevertheless did the DLC. I would've never considered myself great at the game. I mean I'm sporting a DEX build with a +15 schimtar so I'm not doing anything fancy.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone has their own hardest boss(es) in Souls. I never found O&S that hard, but Four Kings not only was a regular wall for me, but that arena is unnerving as fuck on top of it all.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't think it's a mediocre job. A lot of people wanted more from it, when really it was only a spit and polish job and never claimed it was going to be anything else. It's the definitve version of a modern classic imo.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a mediocre job. A lot of people wanted more from it, when really it was only a spit and polish job and never claimed it was going to be anything else. It's the definitve version of a modern classic imo.
Yea, a lot of those reviews say things like it's no better than the original with DS Fix and that's outright lying. There were issues with glitching through floors coming down ladders in the original and Blighttown still ran like shit, there's none of that in the remaster. It's the definitive version.

So, a question.

I've got vanilla DS2 downloaded, are there any mods I need? Particularly I'm open to a 60fps mod although I also plan to play online so that might not work out
It should be native 60fps. I never used any mods but yea it sounded like not a great idea because I thought they could ban you from online for that? I've kinda veered away from that stuff for that reason but someone correct me if I'm wrong. You don't need any though.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So, a question.

The only mod you need is called SotFS and can be accessed by refunding the vanilla version!

I'm half-kidding. The game runs natively at 60fps though so you're good to go there.

Curious to hear your impressions.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Brought Dark Souls Remastered for the switch last week, any good advice besides rolling alot? I'm at the first boss (I think?), kinda wrestling with the controls but will get used to it I hope. I'm surprised, I like the world and the atmosphere more than I thought. I'm a wanderer btw.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Brought Dark Souls Remastered for the switch last week, any good advice besides rolling alot? I'm at the first boss (I think?), kinda wrestling with the controls but will get used to it I hope. I'm surprised, I like the world and the atmosphere more than I thought. I'm a wanderer btw.
Find a weapon type you like and level up your stats according to those which it gains stat scaling from (this info is on each weapons info page in your inventory). You increase your damage output 2 ways: weapon upgrading (makes a big difference early on) and bonus stat scaling (makes a bigger difference in the long term).

Example: The Wanderer stats with the Scimitar and it scales E with strength and B with dexterity. So it's largely a DEX weapon. When you level up your character at a bonfire, leveling up dexterity will increase the damage you do with that, or any other weapon, that scales well with DEX.

All weapons are viable in Souls games, so don't worry you're locked in to a specific playstyle or weapon because of your starting class - All starting class come down to really are the different starting gears (all of which are found as loot in game). Any class can use any weapon, armour set or spell as long as you have the stats for it.

Leveling up Vitality (more HP), Endurance (more stamina) are always a good idea. Ignore the Resistance stat and then concentrate on leveling up what your weapon scales with.

Get a 100% physical block shield as soon as you can, so blocking negates all physical damage.

Obligatory: Kill the dogs first (you'll know what it means when you get there!)

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Find a weapon type you like and level up your stats according to those which it gains stat scaling from (this info is on each weapons info page in your inventory). You increase your damage output 2 ways: weapon upgrading (makes a big difference early on) and bonus stat scaling (makes a bigger difference in the long term).

Example: The Wanderer stats with the Scimitar and it scales E with strength and B with dexterity. So it's largely a DEX weapon. When you level up your character at a bonfire, leveling up dexterity will increase the damage you do with that, or any other weapon, that scales well with DEX.

All weapons are viable in Souls games, so don't worry you're locked in to a specific playstyle or weapon because of your starting class - All starting class come down to really are the different starting gears (all of which are found as loot in game). Any class can use any weapon, armour set or spell as long as you have the stats for it.

Leveling up Vitality (more HP), Endurance (more stamina) are always a good idea. Ignore the Resistance stat and then concentrate on leveling up what your weapon scales with.

Get a 100% physical block shield as soon as you can, so blocking negates all physical damage.

Obligatory: Kill the dogs first (you'll know what it means when you get there!)
Thank you very much!!!

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So the more time I spend with Scholar, the more I kind of rethink my eviscerating of 2 as a whole. I still dislike a lot of things they did here, but it bothers me way less than it did when 2 was new.

Between that and enjoying the original again, I think I'm going to go through and plat 1&2 just to have the plats for the entire trilogy.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing my playthrough of 2 and making decent-ish progress. Wrapped up some quest lines and got most of the achievements squared away. Also did some grinding for all the covenant exclusive spells and went through Pilgrims of the Dark. I think all that's left is the spell ones, Nashandra and the NPCs in Majula one which I apparently fucked up at some point.

Just took out Vendrick which was a disappointing fight, but of well. Question though, the soul rewards seem rather underwhelming for him. Is there any reason to not eat it and just pocket the 50k?

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, need a little help with my build (decided to post here since it seems more active than the OT):
eLKnhfW.jpg

I finally bought the DS3 DLC last week when it was on sale but I hadn't touched a souls game since my second playthrough near launch, so I was a little lost at what I was going for with this character, I think I went with the Sunlight Sword build thanks to that early lothric castle glitch, but now I feel like my stats are all over the place and I don't know if I should stick to that or if I should respec.

Already beat Ariandel (last boss was bs but somehow I managed), now I'm about to start Ringed City. Gained about 4 levels doing the first dlc that went straight to faith.

Not really in the mood to start a new character and I play offline, so no PVP or SL120 cap, just wanna have some fun with the DLC and if possible try a new weapon (preferred style is sword/great sword and shield, that Onyx Blade looks sweet btw). Also tips for a new armor are appreciated, using the Fallen Knight set rn.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really in the mood to start a new character and I play offline, so no PVP or SL120 cap, just wanna have some fun with the DLC and if possible try a new weapon (preferred style is sword/great sword and shield, that Onyx Blade looks sweet btw). Also tips for a new armor are appreciated, using the Fallen Knight set rn.
The Sunless Set is absolutely gorgeous.

You might go for a Dragonslayer build if you're playing on NG+ or above.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I wrapped up all the DLC and finished Nashandra and Aldi's off this weekend. Some of my criticism of 2 still stands, some of it doesn't, I think I'd like to post more of my thoughts after the plat.

Question for the vets of 2, my recollection is there is a fair amount of optional stuff in 2. If I basically need the extra souls from Sinner/Rotten and that group and to get to NG++ to buy my final spells...is there any really reason not to just power through as quickly as I can?

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that will be the last thing I'll need and the reason I have to make it through to NG++. Not that I'm not enjoying my time with the game now that I'm playing it again, but powering through is by far the most attractive option. I'll have to see about bypassing a lot of the extra stuff.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
In NG++ you can get through the Shrine of Winter straight to the castle if you get 3m Souls - has to be all got in that NG cycle but consumable souls count. So if you have a stack of consumable souls, pop them all to get to 3m and then head straight through the Shrine without fighting all the old lord soul bosses.

Shrine of Winter - DarkSouls II Wiki

darksouls2 wiki