• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, that's awesome to know. That will severely cut down on the time to wrap up the plat. I did a lot of Giant Lord farming after I finished NG and the dlc just to try and make subsequent runs faster, so I have nearly a stack of his soul already. Should be easy between that and what I grab on NG+ to hit that mark and open the Shrine basically as soon as I hit Majula.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
The Sunless Set is absolutely gorgeous.

You might go for a Dragonslayer build if you're playing on NG+ or above.
hey thanks for the recommendation, in the end I decided to stick to the SSS build. I thought my attacks were doing shit damage but it was just that the bosses in the dlc had a huge hp pool.

anyway, I finished Ringed City a couple of nights ago, leaving Midir for last, overall not a fan of that fight, but I'm still thinking about it, is a cool looking boss with probably my favorite song in the game, but I think I enjoyed Gael and Friede more.

I think I did a pretty good job overall after not picking up a souls games for three years. I thought I didn't have the patience for the these games anymore, main reason I skipped Sekiro, but the Elden Ring trailer got me hyped and I don't know what it is that they keep pulling me back in.

Now I might get Remastered or wait for a good discount for Sekiro.

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
Playing Remastered and just beat Kalameet. The pure adrenaline running through my veins is unreal rn. What a rush. What a boss.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my Platinum run through Scholar and I have to say that overall I'm impressed. These runs through the game, especially back through the DLC and NG+ have definitely given me a new appreciation for 2. I still see it as a bit of a flawed thing, but not anywhere near the level I did when I played the base game or even tried to go through Scholar at launch.

Plat for Remastered is next on my list, but I'll probably go through something that isn't Souls to give myself a little break first.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm back to invading in Dark Souls 3... halp. This is way too addictive lol

Also being a Spear of the Church is soooo fun. Just killed 3 players one after the other, it's amazing to play as the Boss :D

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
Ok, closed out my Remastered play-through by taking on Gwyn proper for the first time. No parry, no summon.

He is ruthless. My god. I was pretty surprised at how much he was kicking my ass, just found it so hard to get rolling timing right on some of his combos. Even trying to get a healing window was hard as all hell. I thought Manus was aggressive, but damn...

Glad I did it though!

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Ok, closed out my Remastered play-through by taking on Gwyn proper for the first time. No parry, no summon.

He is ruthless. My god. I was pretty surprised at how much he was kicking my ass, just found it so hard to get rolling timing right on some of his combos. Even trying to get a healing window was hard as all hell. I thought Manus was aggressive, but damn...

Glad I did it though!
dude is a piece of cake, but i fought it after Manus, now that one is annoying :^S

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
dude is a piece of cake, but i fought it after Manus, now that one is annoying :^S

Oh. Manus is hard too, yeah, but Gwyn was throwing me around all kinds of ways. Maybe I was just having an off day?

Also, I feel like for as aggressive as Manus is, most of his big combo moves don't do excessive damage. There's some mercy in there.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Oh. Manus is hard too, yeah, but Gwyn was throwing me around all kinds of ways. Maybe I was just having an off day?

Also, I feel like for as aggressive as Manus is, most of his big combo moves don't do excessive damage. There's some mercy in there.
yeah he does some nasty combos, i got close to killing him many times but he always managed to win :p

i think i got huge lv advantage for Gwyn

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I want to replay the series starting with the remastered PS4 version but I'm a little nervous about online play and if there are hackers ruining saves or whatever. Is that a problem? I also wonder if there are too many skilled veteran invaders so I might just avoid online.

Haven't played Dark Souls in years.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I want to replay the series starting with the remastered PS4 version but I'm a little nervous about online play and if there are hackers ruining saves or whatever. Is that a problem? I also wonder if there are too many skilled veteran invaders so I might just avoid online.

Haven't played Dark Souls in years.

I don't really hacking is a problem on consoles.

Hardcore PVPers could be an issue on the other hand if you are worried about invaders.

I got absolutely murdered when I tried PvP in Dark Souls 3, though I suck at PvP though.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I started Dark Souls Remastered and yeah, I have just been staying Hollow. I forgot you could still have humanity stacked while not Human.

I was also not expecting to have trouble with the gargoyles, had to resort the lightning buff.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Just picked up DS2 last week, and it didn't get me addicted like I did with every other one of the Souls games. I just beat Pursuer and I don't know where I'm supposed to go - it looks like a dead end ahead? The world isn't that fun to explore and all enemy encounters have like 8+ guys to kill.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Just picked up DS2 last week, and it didn't get me addicted like I did with every other one of the Souls games. I just beat Pursuer and I don't know where I'm supposed to go - it looks like a dead end ahead? The world isn't that fun to explore and all enemy encounters have like 8+ guys to kill.
IIRC there's a bird's nest after Pursuer you can use to reach the next zone. You can also go back to Manjula and try a different path.

It took me a while to get used to the large groups of enemies in 2. I kinda like it now as a change of pace from 1 and 3. Get used to not using lock on.

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
I did find it a little hard to adjust to the sheer amount of enemies at some parts of early-game in 2, but I still enjoyed exploring it a lot. The early part of 2 is really the closest Souls has ever got to emulating the freedom and inter-connectivity of 1.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

In defense of 2, the Pursuer is still super early assuming you haven't done Heides Tower of Flame already.

Stick with it, it's a great game and there's a lot more to see and do.

Imagine all the stuff you'd miss out on if you quit Bloodborne after Father Gascoigne or quit the original after the Capra Demon.

Keep at it and I hope you enjoy it eventually!

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I do really like Dark Souls 2 in that there are so many different directions to go right out the gate. Despite the annoyances of the mobs, I had a really good time with DS2.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Blarg, Dark Souls Compendium delivery date delayed AGAIN.

Damn you amazon.

Is this Amazon's fault? I think it's more on Future Press.

This sucker has been like Charlie and the football for me for a few months now.

edit: also DS2 is king. The only thing I really dislike is how the enemies disappear, every run I end up clearing the same annoying enemies from certain levels and it does slow down the experience. I also think it incentivized the devs to do more annoying enemy placements, knowing the player could permanently clear them out if they wanted.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Amazon's fault? I think it's more on Future Press.

This sucker has been like Charlie and the football for me for a few months now.

edit: also DS2 is king. The only thing I really dislike is how the enemies disappear, every run I end up clearing the same annoying enemies from certain levels and it does slow down the experience. I also think it incentivized the devs to do more annoying enemy placements, knowing the player could permanently clear them out if they wanted.
Its not your fault, Amazon.

Damn you Future Press.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Ok I am about to start Dark souls 3 for the first time and would appreciate some tips regarding starting class and what type of build i should go for .
To give a little background I have finished DS remastered twice with a quality & dex build for each play through.
I have also platinumed bloodborne & 100% its DLC .
I like a melee style so i don't care about magic builds .
DS2 I played for about 5 hours but decided to skip to 3 because i was just not feeling it and have little free time as it is.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017

Glad I did it though!
If i may ask why are you choosing not to use parries ?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
A quality build works fine in DS3. Dex also works great and arguably some of the best weapons in the game are Dex based. You can get one of the best katanas right after killing the first boss. Knight or mercenary will probably be the best starting choices.

If you have been playing DS1, 3 will feel a little bit off at first, closer to Bloodborne in fact. The way poise works is completely different since instead of letting you absorb a couple of hits before getting staggered in 1, in this game it determines how much super armor you'll get when using certain weapons.

Parries are also considerably more difficult than in previous games

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
A quality build works fine in DS3. Dex also works great and arguably some of the best weapons in the game are Dex based. You can get one of the best katanas right after killing the first boss. Knight or mercenary will probably be the best starting choices.

If you have been playing DS1, 3 will feel a little bit off at first, closer to Bloodborne in fact. The way poise works is completely different since instead of letting you absorb a couple of hits before getting staggered in 1, in this game it determines how much super armor you'll get when using certain weapons.

Parries are also considerably more difficult than in previous games
I adapted to DS slower combat coming from Bloodborne so DS 3 being faster is nice to hear as Bloodborne is probably my favourite game ever.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
The only really gimped build out of the gate in DS3 is miracles, imo. I'm not some high skill player and I made sorcery and pyro both work fairly well (though not pure builds). Since you don't care about magic you won't care about that.

Any melee weapon should work. Longsword, broadsword, dark sword, irithyll straight sword, sword sword are all pretty powerful to the end. Vordt's Hammer is a damn beast if you want something without a shield and you get it fairly early too (get soul from first boss and boss-weapon-making-item from second boss).

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Any of you folks play the Surge? I downloaded it on Gamepass because it looks fun. Is it a fine substitute if I'm missing Souls in my life?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Any of you folks play the Surge? I downloaded it on Gamepass because it looks fun. Is it a fine substitute if I'm missing Souls in my life?
I found it to be one of the more competent 3D Souls-likes. (For reference, I haven't been able to stomach much of LotF.)
In short, I'd say it's definitely worth a look if you're missing Souls and are partial to sci-fi.

Pros:
+ Great atmosphere and sense of space/scale (Deck13 nailed the industrial/rocket facility aesthetic)
+ Building trepidation as you progress further from a med bay (bonfire) and subsequent relief when you find one
+ Limb targeting and combat in general are satisfying (despite "skatey" movement and some poor enemy tells)

Cons:
- Really vulgar and unsubtle in its presentation (none of the elegance or sobriety of Souls)
- Lore told through equipment and the world is largely uninteresting (too formulaic; lack of mystery)
- NPC encounters feel uninspired and a lot of the dialogue is either boring or lacks convincing performance (again, this may only be an issue if you prefer the "finesse" of Souls)
- Despite the strong setting, there is a lack of distinct environments (although you do get a bit of variety later on)
- Vast majority of armour/enemy designs are not very good

As you can see, I'm pretty harsh on it, but still enjoyed my time with it. Looking forward to the sequel, hoping it will improve on some of the above...

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I found it to be one of the more competent 3D Souls-likes. (For reference, I haven't been able to stomach much of LotF.)
In short, I'd say it's definitely worth a look if you're missing Souls and are partial to sci-fi.

Pros:
+ Great atmosphere and sense of space/scale (Deck13 nailed the industrial/rocket facility aesthetic)
+ Building trepidation as you progress further from a med bay (bonfire) and subsequent relief when you find one
+ Limb targeting and combat in general are satisfying (despite "skatey" movement and some poor enemy tells)

Cons:
- Really vulgar and unsubtle in its presentation (none of the elegance or sobriety of Souls)
- Lore told through equipment and the world is largely uninteresting (too formulaic; lack of mystery)
- NPC encounters feel uninspired and a lot of the dialogue is either boring or lacks convincing performance (again, this may only be an issue if you prefer the "finesse" of Souls)
- Despite the strong setting, there is a lack of distinct environments (although you do get a bit of variety later on)
- Vast majority of armour/enemy designs are not very good

As you can see, I'm pretty harsh on it, but still enjoyed my time with it. Looking forward to the sequel, hoping it will improve on some of the above...
I've played through the first zone and took care of the boss. I think I'll keep playing, but there is a distinct lack of enemy variety. One of the things that always blows me away about any From game is how many types of enemies there are. Still, its fun.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've played through the first zone and took care of the boss. I think I'll keep playing, but there is a distinct lack of enemy variety. One of the things that always blows me away about any From game is how many types of enemies there are. Still, its fun.
Yeah, my first Souls game was Bloodborne, and the sheer variety of enemies JUST in Central Yharnam was something I noticed and appreciated right away. Just the human enemies had over half a dozen different types (sleeping types, shield types, ambush types, ranged, wheelchair), nevermind huge armor dudes, giant hulks, dogs, rats, wolves, werewolves, mudmen, crows, a fat ass pig, and two extremely different boss types.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Courtesy of galv
FB_IMG_1565446576199.jpg

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Been ages since I got the Dark Souls Board Game Expansion set, but a new job (and a playthrough of the Witcher 3) got in the way of me painting. I've managed to get back to it during the holidays so thought I'd put some on here. The Demonic Foliage destroyed at least two of my brushes.

dsc_0163e5kp8.jpg

dsc_016205jaw.jpg

dsc_0160u8jsv.jpg

dsc_0159bpk70.jpg

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
your shrooms truly are sublime.

Thanks - if you're ever in the UK we can have a go with them...I'm sorry.

Anyway, Stone Guardian now. I'm not happy with the colour of the tunic/kilt area, as it's a bit too bright for the game but I've spent ages on these and they look okay - particularly the green on the ridges of the armour.

dsc_017193kq5.jpg

Two away (Great Stone Knights) from having to choose whether to do Sif or Artorias for the bosses first...

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Been ages since I got the Dark Souls Board Game Expansion set, but a new job (and a playthrough of the Witcher 3) got in the way of me painting. I've managed to get back to it during the holidays so thought I'd put some on here. The Demonic Foliage destroyed at least two of my brushes.

dsc_0163e5kp8.jpg

dsc_016205jaw.jpg

dsc_0160u8jsv.jpg

dsc_0159bpk70.jpg

Wow these ROCK!

Time to play Dark Souls again! :D