• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It happens if someone upvotes one of your notes. +1 flask each time.

edit: oh wait, playing offline! Hmmmm.
Unless the remaster changes this, this is incorrect, it did nothing in Dark Souls 1 (and gave you a bit of health back in the other games) IIRC. You'd get extra flask if another nearby player kindled the bonfire, but yeah that's also online-only obviously.

Maybe DS1 did introduce a DS3-like "bonus Estus" system? But then why would it go above his current cap? Weird.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So, I'm really confused right now.

I'm currently playing Dark Souls Remastered, I'm in the Depths, I have just killed the basiliks and on my way to the boss, I switched to my estus and saw that I have 12 flasks instead of 10, I'm playing offline and I have not yet picked up the rite of kindling.

So how the hell did I end up with 12 flasks all of sudden, a bug? or did they secretly add that feature from Dark Souls 3 that your estus automatically refills after a certain amount of kills?

Not that I'm complaining, its just super weird. :D
Whenever someone lights or kindles the last bonfire you rested at you gain +1 estus, even over your current limit.
This can happen even if you're playing offline as long as you're still connected to the internet. This is because even though you may be in "offline mode" as long as you have a connection the game still tracks these things. This applies to the bells ringing as well.
If someone likes your message and you're playing in online mode you just gain a small health bump.

Hope this helps!

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thanks! I was aware about the whole kindle bonfire thing, I was just surprised to see it work while being offline.

Neat.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Wow time flies! Happy 2 Year Anniversary SoulsERA! :D

To celebrate here is my small art book collection, honoring the GREATEST games of all time! :)
http:///BKJd.jpeg
The hardcover Design Works for Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3, plus the Bloodborne hardcover Art Works.

http:///CKJd.jpeg
Some favorite Boss Designs from the series; Capra, Gaping Dragon, Wet Nurse; Smelter Demon and Pontiff Sulyvahn.

http:///DKJd.jpeg
fyi Hardcover Bloodborne is French edition. Super excited when I was able to locate each of these amazing art tributes to my favorite games.

Here's to another year SoulsERA, and hoping for eventual art releases for Sekiro, and hopefully a Demon's Souls and Elden Ring book someday. Cheers!

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Nice collection! I have Bloodborne and the newly released compendium. Is there a Demon Souls art book?

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Nice collection! I have Bloodborne and the newly released compendium. Is there a Demon Souls art book?

Thanks! Sadly no Demon's Souls exists to my knowledge. If those Remaster rumors pan out I hope it leads to an art book release somehow. Fingers crossed.
At least Sekiro has a book I could add. Its only available in Japan for now though.

I saw the Compendium once, its enormous! Might grab one someday if the prices go down.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Sadly no Demon's Souls exists to my knowledge. If those Remaster rumors pan out I hope it leads to an art book release somehow. Fingers crossed.
At least Sekiro has a book I could add. Its only available in Japan for now though.

I saw the Compendium once, its enormous! Might grab one someday if the prices go down.
My compendium was maybe $30... those other books I see just as high, I thought.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm fascinated by videos like this, exploring and explaining parts of Souls games that most players won't ever see during normal gameplay. I had no idea that the doll could hum a lullaby, because it was a random, rare event and it was removed in patch 1.0.1.

And if you trigger the lullaby in 1.0, then immediately save the game and patch it, the doll will glitch out when you reload the game.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I came across this PvP god in the Depths tonight in Dark Souls Remastered.
sPSutks.jpg

Full Havel's set and Gold Tracer... Not really what I was hoping to find at SL 25.

However, I'm pretty happy that the matchmaking actually works in DSR. I never really had any luck with DS1's multiplayer back when it came out.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat DS1 for the first time ever today:
u9col143viw31.jpg

But TBH I feel kinda guilty since the damage from spells are just astronomical when you stack Dusk Crown+Bellowing Ring+Power Within all at once, I literally killed Gwyn with just 2 Crystal Soul Lances (Manus is way harder than him by comparison, he takes 4 Soul Lance + 2 Crystal Soul Lance to kill and a much more erratic if easily defeatable by sidestep left movelist, didn't even need Sif nor the Silver Pendant to beat him tho)

Overall the game is hella fun but has a lot of jank hitboxes+physics that reminds me of Tekken for some reason and some real stinker of a boss/areas, after this I'm planning to either:
  • Go through NG+ with Wedney to build her up to a SL125 PvP char
  • Start a new "bow" only run since I play with keyboard+mouse AKA the shooter run
So which one should I do next?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I just started a new character in Dark Souls 3. The problem is that I get an immediate, repeatable crash every time I open the System menu either in game or from the main menu.
Stranger still, this only happens on my 4K TV. The game is stable on my 1440p monitor.
I've tried a lot of obvious stuff like verifying the game files, reinstalling, etc.

Any Souls vets face this issue before? It's 2019 ffs.

Edit, "fixed," - I was able to get the game running smoothly by downloading Souls Unsqueezed. I just downloaded it and let it do it's thing. The only weirdness is that the mod broke both RivaTuner's FPS counter as well as Nvidia's with both of them reporting 120 fps, 1,131fps or 1 fps consistently. The Steam FPS counter still works. Kinda bummed that after all this time I still need a mod to get the game running properly at high resolutions. That and, while I doubt anyone has been banned for using Unsqueezed, I'd rather not mod the game at all and take the risk.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Hey SoulsEra, picked up Dark Souls 3 for ten quid in the sale and having a such a blast. Why did no one tell me this game was so rad? Ha ha.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
WHAT of course we told you lmao

Ha ha. Yeah now that you mention it, I do recall folks saying great things about it. I didn't really pay much attention, possibly because I hated the first Dark Souls as much I loved Demon's and Bloodborne. This certainly feels like a fusion of the second two with its heavy emphasis on horror again. The world is just so twisted and messed up; I love it. So many things are making my skin crawl.

I'm rolling as an arcane knight currently rocking Irithyll Sword +2, Lothric armour, shield and trusty Soul Arrow. Beat Crystal Sage and now exploring Valley of Defilement 2.0.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ashen (a soulslike released last year as an Xbox One / PC exclusive) is now available on Switch and PS4.

I feel the game was pretty well regarded overall. I'm looking forward to finally playing it.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing Ashen and quite enjoying it. The Dark Souls influence is pretty clear, but it feels a bit more meditative and calmer - although the lack of enemy variety is beginning to wear a little.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
PSA: Salt and Sanctuary is dirt cheap on Steam right now:

If you like Souls-likes at all, or if you like Metroidvanias at all, you owe it to yourself to pick it up, especially for so cheap. It's really damn good.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Are Miracles a meme in DS3? I'm about to go through the DLC for the first time, and I hear the enemies are weak to Lightning there, but in the base game they seem pretty weak.

I've been trying multiple builds and they seem to be mediocre at best. Sacred Oath seems meh, the offensive spells seem average, and I don't see much benefit outside of the healing spells? If seems like you get more bang for your buck going into Pyromancies or Sorceries... Maybe I'm just missing something here, but I've been playing as the Paladin archtype since DeS.

I respec'd my STR/FTH Paladin into a full on STR build using the Dragonslayer Greataxe and it seems to be just as good (even though it also benefits from FTH).

Is it just me or are Miracles the least viable in DS3 compared to DeS/1/2?

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Anybody read that You Died book?

Interested in the hardcover version that's coming out. Apparently it's less a lore companion and more about the experiences of some of the very first dark souls players. That's kinda what I want though, getting all nostalgic for dark souls 1 as the decade ends.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I am getting a lot of Gargoyle summons on PC Remastered tonight and the player count is solid. The real fucking shame is that we do not have cross play enabled so I could be helping out the entire community right now...

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody read that You Died book?

Interested in the hardcover version that's coming out. Apparently it's less a lore companion and more about the experiences of some of the very first dark souls players. That's kinda what I want though, getting all nostalgic for dark souls 1 as the decade ends.

Read it and double dipped on the Hardcover one. It's really good - has small sections about lore but then has a lot more about the experiences of different players and why Dark Souls means so much to them. Also, the book looks like it will be beautifully designed. If you want to buy the £5000 version, I promise I'll look at a photo of it.

Also, only 22 hours left to back!

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Read it and double dipped on the Hardcover one. It's really good - has small sections about lore but then has a lot more about the experiences of different players and why Dark Souls means so much to them. Also, the book looks like it will be beautifully designed. If you want to buy the £5000 version, I promise I'll look at a photo of it.

Also, only 22 hours left to back!

Lmao, get out of here. Backed for the regular £45 one. I need to eat too 😂

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Anyone know if there is a way to get pwwt from pbwt after having already killed the primeval demon, specifically world 5? I wonder if there are enough BPs to get it to pw.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Have you killed any bosses in w5 yet?
Yeah, I'm at the end of the game. Just trying to get some unique weapons for the soldiers trophy. I had to get PBWT for the Blind and now I need the Bramd but have already gone from PB to PW for something else. It's now closer to PW but I left the world so I'm afraid I'll have to get it to PB and hopefully run through all of 5 killing black phantoms but I don't know if there are enough to get to PW from PB.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might have to go in to NG+ to do w5 in PWWT. It should be relatively quick to do 1-1 and then kill the bosses of 5-1 and 5-2, that should get you to PWWT.

For what it's worth (future reference?) he's my little primer that I keep in a text file for doing platinum runs (specifically doing all the tendency events in a single playthrough:

Code:
Tendency:
            1. Kill up to boss of x-2 in each world to make it PWWT
            2. Do NPC quest in PWWT
            3. Kill self 7 times in human form to make world PBWT
            4. Kill BP NPC and Primeval Demon (then Arch Boss if not done already)
            5. When all 5 BP NPCs are killed, get Friend's Ring from The Monumental
            6. Kill a few merchants when bought everything from them to turn PBCT
            7. Kill Yurt in 3-2
            8. Mephistopheles shows up in PBCT, do quest at very end

1-1        Miralda        - Human: Drops Armour/Master's Ring            BP: Drops Guillotine Axe    NB: CT not effected by killing her in PWWT
            2-2        Scirvir        - Human: Show DBS, no need to kill            BP: Drops Talisman of Beasts
            3-1        Rydell        - Human: Dull Rat's Ring, no need to kill    BP: Drops Phosphorescent Pole
            4-1        Satsuki        - Human: Drops nothing, killing -3 WT        BP: Drops Hiltless            NB: No point in doing PWWT quest, BP only
            5-2        Selen        - Human: Do not kill, give crest in PWWT    BP: Drops Blind                NB: Gives ring for crest in PWWT

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might have to go in to NG+ to do w5 in PWWT. It should be relatively quick to do 1-1 and then kill the bosses of 5-1 and 5-2, that should get you to PWWT.

For what it's worth (future reference?) he's my little primer that I keep in a text file for doing platinum runs (specifically doing all the tendency events in a single playthrough:

Code:
Tendency:
            1. Kill up to boss of x-2 in each world to make it PWWT
            2. Do NPC quest in PWWT
            3. Kill self 7 times in human form to make world PBWT
            4. Kill BP NPC and Primeval Demon (then Arch Boss if not done already)
            5. When all 5 BP NPCs are killed, get Friend's Ring from The Monumental
            6. Kill a few merchants when bought everything from them to turn PBCT
            7. Kill Yurt in 3-2
            8. Mephistopheles shows up in PBCT, do quest at very end

1-1        Miralda        - Human: Drops Armour/Master's Ring            BP: Drops Guillotine Axe    NB: CT not effected by killing her in PWWT
            2-2        Scirvir        - Human: Show DBS, no need to kill            BP: Drops Talisman of Beasts
            3-1        Rydell        - Human: Dull Rat's Ring, no need to kill    BP: Drops Phosphorescent Pole
            4-1        Satsuki        - Human: Drops nothing, killing -3 WT        BP: Drops Hiltless            NB: No point in doing PWWT quest, BP only
            5-2        Selen        - Human: Do not kill, give crest in PWWT    BP: Drops Blind                NB: Gives ring for crest in PWWT
Awesome. Thanks for this. I'm probably gonna make another platinum run in the AS version as I have the NA plat and am working on the EU plat. Demons is probably my most played game. Followed by Dark with the plat in the original and remaster (not flexing, just sayin).

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Anyone know if there is a way to get pwwt from pbwt after having already killed the primeval demon, specifically world 5? I wonder if there are enough BPs to get it to pw.
The only way to shift world tendency towards white is:
- Kill the Primeval Demon
- Kill the named black phantom NPC (e.g. only black phantom Selen Vinland in world 5 counts, the Meat Cleaver lady roaming the swamp won't register)
- Kill a boss
- Kill an invading player (can't be invaded if boss is dead)

In other words, you pretty much need to go to NG+, because with all the bosses dead there's no way for you to shift the WT towards white. Even if you are still in world 5 at PBWT and BP Selen Vinland is there, if you kill her, and return to the Nexus, BP Selen + the primeval demon will only shift +6 towards white (+3 Selen, +3 demon), and you need like, +7 to go from PB to PW.

Edit: also, world tendency is isolated by worlds, so killing, say, black phantom Rydell (world 3) won't affect your tendency in world 5.

Check this guide for more info about world tendency http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So for years I've (maybe) tricked myself into thinking Demon's Souls was too expensive to buy these days ... maybe it was? Maybe I was just wrong.

Just bought it on Amazon for $19 new. It'll be here Friday. I'll be going in almost entirely blind.