• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'm not sure if I have the time/patience to beat Midir in Dark Souls 3. So far I've cleared every boss solo without summoning, but this guy is testing my patience. Not even Gael was that hard. I think he took me about 10 tries total?

Maybe I'll put it down for a week and see if I feel inspired to try again later. Cool battle visually, but I'm not a fan of getting 1/2 shot in phase 3.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not sure if I have the time/patience to beat Midir in Dark Souls 3. So far I've cleared every boss solo without summoning, but this guy is testing my patience. Not even Gael was that hard. I think he took me about 10 tries total?

Maybe I'll put it down for a week and see if I feel inspired to try again later. Cool battle visually, but I'm not a fan of getting 1/2 shot in phase 3.
Stay in front of his face. If you've played Bloodborne, fight him exactly like you would Amygdala (defiled chalice version because you can just sloppily attack the regular version and still win); dodge whatever attack it does, wait for the head to lower, get 1-2 hits in (depending on your weapon speed), retreat, repeat.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Ugh. Running through this NG++ of Demons Souls and gotta get PWWT in 5 is killing me. I hope they never do a VOD/Blighttown level ever again.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Stay in front of his face. If you've played Bloodborne, fight him exactly like you would Amygdala (defiled chalice version because you can just sloppily attack the regular version and still win); dodge whatever attack it does, wait for the head to lower, get 1-2 hits in (depending on your weapon speed), retreat, repeat.

Thanks for the tip!

I finally downed him after a few serious hours of attempting him. I realize that going underneath him or towards his tail just makes the fight harder than it really has to be. It was just a test of patience, and learning to not get greedy.

Now I start on Sekiro. I wanted to beat every souls game solo before moving onto the hardest one.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the tip!

I finally downed him after a few serious hours of attempting him. I realize that going underneath him or towards his tail just makes the fight harder than it really has to be. It was just a test of patience, and learning to not get greedy.

Now I start on Sekiro. I wanted to beat every souls game solo before moving onto the hardest one.
Nice!

Good luck with Sekiro. You'll have to re-learn everything because it does not play like a Souls game. :)

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tip!

Please give my regards to Genichiro-San.
Have fun!

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
And so it begins ... eleven years late.
ds1.jpg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Will do. My first thought is that the DualShock 3 really was a piece of shit wasn't it?😩

I didn't know Demon's sold well enough to get a "Greatest Hits" version. Cool.

And yes, the DualShock 3 sucks. Well, mainly the triggers, in my opinion. Whomever designed them as convex curved is a jerk.

Do yourself a favor and get the little clip-on convex trigger attachments. A friend gave me some way back when, and I can't overstate how much they improve it.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I didn't know Demon's sold well enough to get a "Greatest Hits" version. Cool.

And yes, the DualShock 3 sucks. Well, mainly the triggers, in my opinion. Whomever designed them as convex curved is a jerk.

Do yourself a favor and get the little clip-on convex trigger attachments. A friend gave me some way back when, and I can't overstate how much they improve it.

It's a good tip but I already special ordered the game, waited a week for delivery. Went dungeon diving (aka searching a basement for an hour) to find my PS3 and then had to mess around with my hdmi switch to get it to broadcast then waited two hours for the ps3 to update and then had to reset my Sony password. I'm not putting any more barriers between me and the game. Sitting down to play it now and then the DS3 is going back to the dungeon.

Deleted member 60992

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I bought Bloodborne years ago on a sale because my brother ask me to do we can co-op. I did and the fucker stopped playing.

anyway, I never got into it but recently I found this YouTuber Speed Lee whodid a 99 Arcane run/build.

I didn't know you coulddo magic in this game. Does anyone still play in here? Would anyone mind helping with a Arcane build?

Disclaimer,

I know nothing about this game or Soul series. What I do know is that you don't start off with Arcane Tools and have to go to Cain Hurst(?) Castle for the first one and that there a tentacle Arcane attack somewhere before that.

I somewhat remember first trying the game years back and not liking the up close and person combat and wishing for unlimited Molotovs.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I somewhat remember first trying the game years back and not liking the up close and person combat and wishing for unlimited Molotovs.
Just to clarify if that's what you're looking for, magic in the game isn't an unlimited resource, it uses the consumable silver bullets that are also used by offhand firearms, you either have to buy or farm them - there are many enemies who guarantee drop them though. You can also swap HP throughout for blood bullets, again which are a finite resource governed by your health and by how many blood vials (healing items) you are carrying - they are also finite but purchasable/farmable. Basically arcane might be a tougher first playthrough than melee, especially early on.

Deleted member 60992

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Just to clarify if that's what you're looking for, magic in the game isn't an unlimited resource, it uses the consumable silver bullets that are also used by offhand firearms, you either have to buy or farm them - there are many enemies who guarantee drop them though. You can also swap HP throughout for blood bullets, again which are a finite resource governed by your health and by how many blood vials (healing items) you are carrying - they are also finite but purchasable/farmable. Basically arcane might be a tougher first playthrough than melee, especially early on.

I'm ok with that as I know Arcane in this game is a play style I would enjoy. I'm ok with getting Gud if I'm having fun with it.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Bloodborne years ago on a sale because my brother ask me to do we can co-op. I did and the fucker stopped playing.

anyway, I never got into it but recently I found this YouTuber Speed Lee whodid a 99 Arcane run/build.

I didn't know you coulddo magic in this game. Does anyone still play in here? Would anyone mind helping with a Arcane build?

Disclaimer,

I know nothing about this game or Soul series. What I do know is that you don't start off with Arcane Tools and have to go to Cain Hurst(?) Castle for the first one and that there a tentacle Arcane attack somewhere before that.

Its not really magic and the tools have a resource so you can't just spam whenever. If you don't have bullets you can't use the tools. Just wanted to make sure you understand that.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I wish I had a PS3, I so wanna play DS again.

Still need that damn Pure Bladestone.
Pure Bladestone is such a pain in the ass. I think I spent 4 or 5 days farming the red eye skelly behind the fake wall in 4-2 before it dropped, and that was just a few weeks ago and also my 2nd time doing it.

I still have one more to go though.

Proof of Concord Kept is also a pain in the ass thing to farm for. I didn't actively start going for the plat until much later in the game and I was far too over leveled for online play so it took a really long time.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it to the final boss in DS3 at a little short of 40 hours. Still haven't touched the ringed city or archdragon peak but I'm honestly happy with my progress. Considering I've bought the game one week ago, and have clearly been addicted.

Sekiro really trained my reaction times to the point where normal enemies have posed harder challenges than these bosses. Really excited to start NG+ though because I didn't use magic at all. Or any weapon that doesn't scale with dexterity. Katana all day.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it to the final boss in DS3 at a little short of 40 hours. Still haven't touched the ringed city or archdragon peak but I'm honestly happy with my progress. Considering I've bought the game one week ago, and have clearly been addicted.

Sekiro really trained my reaction times to the point where normal enemies have posed harder challenges than these bosses. Really excited to start NG+ though because I didn't use magic at all. Or any weapon that doesn't scale with dexterity. Katana all day.
That was fast. I think I was 60 hours my first play through.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was fast. I think I was 60 hours my first play through.

I think I was breezing through worlds when everybody on reddit recommended specific levels per area, and I was always at least 10 levels above the rec. Lol. I'm always farming but then again this franchise has trained me to do that. But I guess went overboard. Oh well. It's still challenging but I'm chalking it up to having experience with the franchise for years now. Probably run a NG++ on Sekiro after my NG+ on DS3.

Edit: currently SL102 on Soul of Cinder. Hopefully I can reach 120 by the time I finish Archdragon and Ringed City before I respec to a magic build on NG+.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I think I was breezing through worlds when everybody on reddit recommended specific levels per area, and I was always at least 10 levels above the rec. Lol. I'm always farming but then again this franchise has trained me to do that. But I guess went overboard. Oh well. It's still challenging but I'm chalking it up to having experience with the franchise for years now. Probably run a NG++ on Sekiro after my NG+ on DS3.

Edit: currently SL102 on Soul of Cinder. Hopefully I can reach 120 by the time I finish Archdragon and Ringed City before I respec to a magic build on NG+.
Soul of a Cinder is a cake walk compared to the last boss in Archdragon Peak and the DLC bosses.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Soul of a Cinder is a cake walk compared to the last boss in Archdragon Peak and the DLC bosses.

I think Sister Friede is the coolest boss in the game, but I kept falling for SoC's wind up attacks that catch you after the roll. Must've tried at least 15 times to get him. The most obvious telegraphs too. I couldn't wait for the NG+ so I just respec'd my abilities to a magic build. Throwing sunlight spears is some cheese that I needed after going through with a strict melee build. Bout to see how far I can one shot into Archdragon Peak lol.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Omg.

This Midir dragon.

Fucker.

Edit:

Commenting again to say I'm still on this piece of shit. Wasted all my embers on him. 30+. Even with summons. It's like his health pool is infinite. Legit frustrating experience.

Last edited:

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Omg.

This Midir dragon.

Fucker.

Edit:

Commenting again to say I'm still on this piece of shit. Wasted all my embers on him. 30+. Even with summons. It's like his health pool is infinite. Legit frustrating experience.

What helped me was watching a bunch of perfect no-hit Midir kills to learn how to abuse his AI. Take it slow and steady, and it might be easier to solo because of how wacky his AI is not to mention his insane HP pool solo (must be crazy high in multiplayer)

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What helped me was watching a bunch of perfect no-hit Midir kills to learn how to abuse his AI. Take it slow and steady, and it might be easier to solo because of how wacky his AI is not to mention his insane HP pool solo (must be crazy high in multiplayer)

Finally got this guy during my hour sesh. Yeah, solo was much easier. My lightning arrows were actually doing damage this time.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just got this hoodie from my wife for my birthday - very nice!

955_3.jpg

From Insert Coin - and it's not me in the photo.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I just respeced to a full on dex build in DS2: SOTFS and bumped Ricard's Rapier up to +8 I think and omg. This thing makes very light work of bosses. I've been farming the Rotten (now at BF 5) and it's so fast and powerful.

at first I was a little leery because it wasn't causing as much damage per swing as my Washing Pole or Murakumo but it's speed is what makes up the difference. Now I'm just rolling through NT+

Last plat to get before I have all of them, well, I'll have to get the PS3 version and the non SOTFS version.

Last edited:

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
So I'm throwing my sunbro sign down in DS3 Anor Londo and I'm amazed at how many people are missing the estus shard inside on the left.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
a1d68Eb.png
lMcDPN4.png

2oLeJ84.png

Welcome home, good hunter.

Hmm, you still have your senses about you? Light the bonfire and talk about anything Demons & Dark Souls or Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring related.

Sick amazing header custom made from the Raging Spaniard himself, you can find more here. Thanks!

Big thanks to Morrigan, our new overlord, as well as Gbraga for the OT title and all the soulsERA discord fam.

Feel free to join our Discord channel here: [Hidden content]

Bloodbourne wiki:

A great ERA discussion thread:
www.resetera.com

From Software Development & Speculation - Everything we know about their current projects

“It was never our real motive for From Software to be the Dark Souls-only company.”-Hidetaka Miyazaki, 2016 [President of Fromsoftware] “I feel that From Software’s title lineup will need a little more variation… We have dark fantasies like Dark Souls, of course, but I’d also like for us to...

There is no path. Beyond the scope of light, beyond the reach of Dark... what could possibly await us? And yet, we seek it, insatiably...Such is our fate
Replying for the discord info. :)

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
How is Souls Era feeling Nioh 2? I never got in the groove with the first one. How does this compare? Having a blast?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
How is Souls Era feeling Nioh 2? I never got in the groove with the first one. How does this compare? Having a blast?
I haven't gotten past the first village in the first game. Not sure I'll pick up Nioh 2.

I am stuck on Darklurker in SOTFS though. That's fun. I might move on and come back later. Also started another BB run so I can finally tackle the DLC. Just got to the church. I really like the game but the world is so damn gloomy.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun with BB DLC. Some of the best anywhere. Make sure to throw a coin down the wishing well.

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
Mechanically Nioh 2 (nioh in general) is more complex than Souls imo and early on it can be frustratingly difficult because basic fundamental skills are locked in a skill tree. However once you reach a certain point and acquire enough certain skills you become beastly.

Also coop is odd compared to souls because summoners have to search for live summons at shrines in level while the summoned opt in to being summoned in the overworld map

Its kind of a mish mash of souls Sekiro and ninja Gaiden

I'm enjoying it but I much prefer From's games because they're RPG's first. Nioh is an action game with RPG elements.

Not really a fan of the diabloesque RNG loot either but Nioh's combat is the star.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Having finally gotten the Platinum in Sekiro and Bloodborne+Old Hunters I was thinking about jumping into Nioh 1 (Complete Edition).

How does Nioh compare to the Souls series? I hear its Diablo mixed with Ninja Gaiden? I know I cant go in expecting a Soulsborne game exactly, but with Nioh 2 coming out it has my interest.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Having finally gotten the Platinum in Sekiro and Bloodborne+Old Hunters I was thinking about jumping into Nioh 1 (Complete Edition).

How does Nioh compare to the Souls series? I hear its Diablo mixed with Ninja Gaiden? I know I cant go in expecting a Soulsborne game exactly, but with Nioh 2 coming out it has my interest.
Nioh is inspired by souls but its its own thing.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

It's awesome so far, but then again I adore Nioh1.

It's similar enough to the first one that I can't see anyone who didn't like Nioh 1 enjoying it.

It clearly shares a lot of its DNA with Dark Souls: Stamina management, animation priority on moves, enemies that respawn when you use the 'bonfire' (shrines in Nioh's case), losing the resource you use to level up when you die, and of course the punishing difficulty. Nioh's combat has a lot of depth; much more than Souls or Bloodborne. There are several weapon types, and there are three stances, so each weapon behaves differently depending on the stance. And each weapon has a pretty deep Skill tree filled with combos, parries and other advanced techniques. It can be overwhelming, but it's also in a class of its own. It's kinda like Dark Souls mixed with a fighting game.

If those are the things you like about Souls, then you'll probably like Nioh.

The biggest difference is the way loot and builds work. Nioh has diablo-like color coded, randomized loot. Not at all like Souls / Bloodborne where most loot is uniquely crafted and deliberately scattered / seeded throughout the game. Plus, the only difference between weapons of the same type is their stats (and their appearance, but even that can be modified) . All axes are the same; all katanas are the same; all spears are the same, etc.

So there's a lot of loot management, a lot of trash loot that must be sold or disassembled, tons of stats and buffs and perks. If you enjoy that, then you'll like Nioh even more. If that doesn't sound appetizing then the game might not be for you.

Also Nioh, unlike Souls, is composed of discrete mission-structured levels, which you pick from a region map, instead of the large, interconnected immersive world of Dark Souls , Bloodborne or Sekiro.

You can do that in Nioh...! Kinda.

Specially now that they added the Switch Glaive, which is kinda like a Bloodborne weapon.

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So Darklurker in SOTFS is the first boss in any souls game that I thinks is just unfair nonsense. I've tried at least 20 time and there is no pattern to learn, no git gud, it's just utter trash. First phase I can can do no problem. Phase 2, nope. There's no way to figure out what's coming. I'm about to re spec and cheese this shit cause imma lose my mind otherwise.

any tips?