• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think you just have to be more careful and not get greedy. You can end up doing a lot of running back and forth in that fight without getting much damage in because of the attacks they both might end up doing - just be patient and get damage in when you can, burn through a few resins if you have to, just to maximize the damage.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Fought ISS about 10-15 times this afternoon. Only got to the final phase once. Took a break and came back and one shotted the whole fight.

Sometimes I don't understand how this game works...

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
So I'm wanting to do a dex build or a luck build.

if I sharp infuse a natural bleed weapon does the bleed lose its scaling with luck?

is a hybrid dex/luck build viable? If so what should my stat split be?

or should I just hollow infuse and buff with carthus rouge?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I think you just have to be more careful and not get greedy. You can end up doing a lot of running back and forth in that fight without getting much damage in because of the attacks they both might end up doing - just be patient and get damage in when you can, burn through a few resins if you have to, just to maximize the damage.
Pretty much the strat I've been using. It's just not always possible to keep an eye on both and one mistake ends up killing me. Maybe I respec just to increase my magic defense? I only have enough vessels to respec and change back once.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started my journey into Souls games properly. I've owned Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 for PS3 since their release but in the end I never really delved into them. I started Demon's Souls but it didn't quite grab me on first try. Not sure if I ever even booted DS1, which is probably why I didn't buy any of the subsequent Soulsbornes.

Sooo... jump to 2020 and I bought & started Dark Souls 3 on PS4. As a sorcerer... progress has been somewhat slow. :D I've played for over 6 hours and I've only beat 2 (proper) bosses. :S

I've made it to the third boss fight. The demon like thing that you fight with that fat knight. I only tried him once but that was kind of enough to turn me off for today. I had already fought the tree boss today so I didn't have the motivation to start another boss, especially since this one seemed so much harder. Not sure how I'm supposed to approach this boss. It's just SO fast and SO aggressive with insane reach. My sorcerer doesn't stand a chance. It did seem like it might be semi cheesable by being aggressive and staying really close to it, but my sorcerer is such a weakling that any mistakes are deadly.

Not sure what else to do but keep trying the boss. There's only one path I haven't followed through (going down the tower instead of up to the boss), but there's a really aggressive enemy there too that I can't get past. Didn't have the energy to keep hitting my head against both of those walls, so I called it quits for today.

As a sidenote I did beat the multiplying Abyss dude boss for a friend yesterday who is playing DS3 now too. That was probably the most fun I've had with the game. They are already further along than me (I have a couple of other games I've been playing), but they are playing as a knight so their character can take a bit more punishment than mine. I'm more experienced a gamer overall though they have beaten DS 1 and 2, so we took turns trying it out. Both got close a couple of times but I was the one to beat him.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Finally started my journey into Souls games properly. I've owned Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 for PS3 since their release but in the end I never really delved into them. I started Demon's Souls but it didn't quite grab me on first try. Not sure if I ever even booted DS1, which is probably why I didn't buy any of the subsequent Soulsbornes.

Sooo... jump to 2020 and I bought & started Dark Souls 3 on PS4. As a sorcerer... progress has been somewhat slow. :D I've played for over 6 hours and I've only beat 2 (proper) bosses. :S

I've made it to the third boss fight. The demon like thing that you fight with that fat knight. I only tried him once but that was kind of enough to turn me off for today. I had already fought the tree boss today so I didn't have the motivation to start another boss, especially since this one seemed so much harder. Not sure how I'm supposed to approach this boss. It's just SO fast and SO aggressive with insane reach. My sorcerer doesn't stand a chance. It did seem like it might be semi cheesable by being aggressive and staying really close to it, but my sorcerer is such a weakling that any mistakes are deadly.

Not sure what else to do but keep trying the boss. There's only one path I haven't followed through (going down the tower instead of up to the boss), but there's a really aggressive enemy there too that I can't get past. Didn't have the energy to keep hitting my head against both of those walls, so I called it quits for today.

As a sidenote I did beat the multiplying Abyss dude boss for a friend yesterday who is playing DS3 now too. That was probably the most fun I've had with the game. They are already further along than me (I have a couple of other games I've been playing), but they are playing as a knight so their character can take a bit more punishment than mine. I'm more experienced a gamer overall though they have beaten DS 1 and 2, so we took turns trying it out. Both got close a couple of times but I was the one to beat him.

Hate to break it to you mate but the demon you fight with Siegward (the "fat" knight as you call him) isn't actually a boss. Just a tough enemy. If you have any interest in doing Siegward's side quest (and you should!) you'll have to defeat it but it's an optional encounter. The main path is down the tower.

As a newcomer to both Souls games in general and Dark Souls 3 you picked the most difficult game with the hardest class to start with. A major complaint about DS3 is that the magic classes - especially sorcerer - are not viable early game on a first play through as most of the heavy duty spells are gated deep into the game. It is certainly doable but not a small feat for a beginner. In fact, most vets who want to play a sorcerer will usually begin as a melee class and later respec to sorcerer once more spells are unlocked.

The pyromancer is probably the most forgiving of the magic classes if you can't be convinced to go melee, and you're still extremely early so you can just shift yourself focus with little negative consequence regardless of class (though you are a new player so if you've been grinding levels and dying like crazy you might be over leveled - recommended level for the "big tree boss" is 15-25 ish).

Hope you stick to it and wind up loving it all. Basically the tl;dr of it is you picked one of the absolute hardest starts for both the series and the game. Hats off to you if you soldier on. Please ask here if you run into trouble.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, it's not even a boss? 🙈 I must've been too distracted by the crazy mofo monster attacking me so ruthlessly to not even notice the lack of a boss health bar.

I'm not against re-specing as another class. I picked sorcerer because I thought it might be a bit more special, didn't know I'd be taking on the hard mode of DS3. But how do you do that?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit, it's not even a boss? 🙈 I must've been too distracted by the crazy mofo monster attacking me so ruthlessly to not even notice the lack of a boss health bar.

I'm not against re-specing as another class. I picked sorcerer because I thought it might be a bit more special, didn't know I'd be taking on the hard mode of DS3. But how do you do that?

Well. As with all things Souls the answer is pretty obtuse and it's not easy. To respec you'll have to progress through a number of more difficult areas and bosses. If you're still early, I'd just switch your weapons and start leveling other skills. If you're passed say level 25 I'd consider just restarting as another class. Remember you're only on the first real area of the game. Or just keep going and work on your dodge game. Try a one handed weapon or a shield in addition to your magic. All builds are viable some are just easier than others. Up to you really.

One word of caution - if you chose to fight the demon with Siegward and he dies, that's it. You're locked out of his quest line for the rest of the game. Fair warning.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I agree sorcery is rough going early on in DS3. Sorcery in DS1 is OP and a lot of fun, but they really stuck it magic users in later games.

The tree boss is doable when you first get there, but I usually leave it a little while until I get my weapon upgraded once or twice more just to make it go quicker. There's a lot more to explore and it is somewhat of an optional boss. You got the 'gimmick' of the boss that the sacks at certain points on it's body are the weak point and what to concentrate on?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If you go down the tower, there's an easy way to defeat that enemy.
Send the elevator back up, then lure the enemy into that room. Run around the back and it will fall down the elevator shaft. Then reload the area to make the loot spawn.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well. As with all things Souls the answer is pretty obtuse and it's not easy. To respec you'll have to progress through a number of more difficult areas and bosses. If you're still early, I'd just switch your weapons and start leveling other skills. If you're passed say level 25 I'd consider just restarting as another class. Remember you're only on the first real area of the game. Or just keep going and work on your dodge game. Try a one handed weapon or a shield in addition to your magic. All builds are viable some are just easier than others. Up to you really.

One word of caution - if you chose to fight the demon with Siegward and he dies, that's it. You're locked out of his quest line for the rest of the game. Fair warning.
I'm too stubborn to quit my current playthrough at this point.

Thanks for the tip. He didn't die in my first attempt so I imagine he's still alive. Will postpone fighting him until I'm stronger/less weak.

I agree sorcery is rough going early on in DS3. Sorcery in DS1 is OP and a lot of fun, but they really stuck it magic users in later games.

The tree boss is doable when you first get there, but I usually leave it a little while until I get my weapon upgraded once or twice more just to make it go quicker. There's a lot more to explore and it is somewhat of an optional boss. You got the 'gimmick' of the boss that the sacks at certain points on it's body are the weak point and what to concentrate on?
I did the tree boss. It was pretty easy since I actually did that in my friend's game too a day earlier (they had skipped it and were pretty overpowered). I died a couple of times because I was so much weaker and the boss managed to do some moves I didn't even learn it had when I fought it in the friend's game plus there was one attempt where I was a bit too careless because I was trying to get the boss's nutsacks to burst for it to break the floor but they didn't explode even though I had destroyed probably around 60-70% of its health. I didn't notice I had done that much damage and I was thinking that the nutsacks would explode any second because I had beaten them so much and got careless and the enemy got a heavy hit in.

The boss was on EZ mode if I just got it to drop us down. I just dodged it until it stood up and the ran to its left side where the white hand was vulnerable after it came falling down.
If you go down the tower, there's an easy way to defeat that enemy.
Send the elevator back up, then lure the enemy into that room. Run around the back and it will fall down the elevator shaft. Then reload the area to make the loot spawn.
Ooh, thanks, will try that!

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019

early game you'll want to pump your Intelligence and attunement stats you'll be a glass cannon and only investing minimal stats into the physical weapon you like. For a first playthrough strength or quality would have been easiest because if you're wanting a melee sorcerer that would require some planning and knowledge of what weapons are given to the player at specific points throughout the game. You'll want to infuse your weapons with simple gems because they change scaling to the intelligence stat. You're going to be a caster until Abyss Watcher/Deacons. Summoning will help on bosses if only to take the agro so you can spam spells at a safe distance.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Started a new Bloodborne playthrough to bridge the gap until Persona 5 Royal releases. All the discussions on the game given its recent 5-year anniversary got me back into the mood to hoont.

At this point I am starting to think I am actually cursed, though. Once again one of my controller's analog sticks is drifting. Every minute or so my character will make a sharp turn to the right and walk into that direction automatically. This isn't the first time this happened. My second ever controller had a broken left analog stick which caused my characters to heavily stutter in their movements every so often. I suppose that was on me, though, because of the abuse I put the analog stick through with other games. But then I bought a brand new controller, my third one, only for the right analog stick to malfunction within two months and drift heavily. It basically renders the camera uncontrollable at times.

And now this happened on my newest controller, the fourth one, which is hardly 6 months old.

Sony'd better improve the DualShock's build quality with the PS5, because this is just inacceptable.

Now I wonder if I should switch back to my first controller for Soulsborne games. The stutter can be annoying, but I've played dozens of hours of Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne with it, so at least I'm kind of used to it and it doesn't interfere with my rolls/back-/sidesteps, while this drifting might.

Edit: No, that won't do either. I guess it's back to my very first controller, the default black one. It has a busted handgrip, but at least the analog sticks should be working properly. At least I hope...

The good news is that I transferred Bloodborne to the SSD I got last year and loading into the Hunter's Dream from the main menu takes 4 seconds. I'd call that an improvement.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The Witches of Hemwick are such a weird boss. One playthrough they don't give me no trouble whatsoever, the other playthrough the second witch simply stunlocks me to death with explosions spam. I ended up cheesing them with the 0 insight trick, because I just couldn't be arsed to fight them properly.

Also I think this is the first time I actually died to Amelia. Twice actually, and I still haven't beaten her yet. I did skip Old Yharnam entirely, and I suppose I also miss the Hypogean Gaol experience (echoes, technically) because of that. But my Axe is +5 and I feel it should've done more damage than it actually did?

Maybe I should upgrade the Saw Spear to +3, since it's serrated and everything.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Started a new playthrough. Man I am rusty as fuck. Actually died to Father G. Embarrassing, oh well it happens.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Finally beat Darklurker. Honestly probably took me 30+ tries. Finished two of the dlc's as well, just have the one left. It's the one with nadalia and so far it's not too bad.
I see that in order to get the plat I have to buy some spells off the chancellor in NG++. Is there a fast way to get to him? I honestly want to speed run as much as possible to wrap this thing up. I do appreciate the game more than before but I think there's too much.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finally beat Darklurker. Honestly probably took me 30+ tries. Finished two of the dlc's as well, just have the one left. It's the one with nadalia and so far it's not too bad.
I see that in order to get the plat I have to buy some spells off the chancellor in NG++. Is there a fast way to get to him? I honestly want to speed run as much as possible to wrap this thing up. I do appreciate the game more than before but I think there's too much.
You can open up Shrine of Winter straight away if you accumulate enough souls in each NG cycle, I think it goes up by 1m per NG. The easiest way to get imo is to use bonfire ascetics on a boss you know well - I used to use the Old Iron King and/or Rotten iirc. Then pop a bunch of their souls in NG+ and head straight to Shrine of Winter and on to the castle. It's not accumulative, so 2m souls in NG won't open it in NG+ - you have to get the 2m in NG+ (and 3m in NG++ etc), which is why you use the boss souls to quickly get that amount.

darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com

Shrine of Winter | Dark Souls 2 Wiki

Shrine of Winter walkthrough for Dark Souls 2: All items, enemies, NPCs and secrets for Shrine of Winter in Dark Souls 2

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
You can open up Shrine of Winter straight away if you accumulate enough souls in each NG cycle, I think it goes up by 1m per NG. The easiest way to get imo is to use bonfire ascetics on a boss you know well - I used to use the Old Iron King and/or Rotten iirc. Then pop a bunch of their souls in NG+ and head straight to Shrine of Winter and on to the castle. It's not accumulative, so 2m souls in NG won't open it in NG+ - you have to get the 2m in NG+ (and 3m in NG++ etc), which is why you use the boss souls to quickly get that amount.

darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com

Shrine of Winter | Dark Souls 2 Wiki

Shrine of Winter walkthrough for Dark Souls 2: All items, enemies, NPCs and secrets for Shrine of Winter in Dark Souls 2
What if I opened it the usual way already in NG+? Am I screwed?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What if I opened it the usual way already in NG+? Am I screwed?
If you opened it the usual way then it doesn't matter, you can still use bonfire ascetics to ressurrect bosses to get multiples of their souls to pop when you get to NG++ - it will be 3m souls to open it so that doesn't change. You can look up how many souls the boss souls are worth and calculate how many bonfire ascetics you need. You might think it's quicker to just rush the required bosses in NG++ to open the Shrine.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
If you opened it the usual way then it doesn't matter, you can still use bonfire ascetics to ressurrect bosses to get multiples of their souls to pop when you get to NG++ - it will be 3m souls to open it so that doesn't change. You can look up how many souls the boss souls are worth and calculate how many bonfire ascetics you need. You might think it's quicker to just rush the required bosses in NG++ to open the Shrine.
Ahh okay, thanks so much!

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I assume anyone who cares already knows, but the Surge 2 is on Xbox Game Pass right now and I have found it to be a big improvement over the first one (which I never finished). A very good Soulslike. The bosses are more like Sekiro bosses to me, in that you absolutely cannot BS your way through them and you have to learn their moves.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
soul_of_pontiff_sulyvhan-dks3.png

Soul of Pope Francis
One of the twisted souls, seeped in strength.

Use to acquire many souls, or transpose to extract its true strength.

Pope Francis, Preacher of Quarantine, imprisoned a pope of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the virus and create herd immunity.

"...We are born of the virus, made men by the virus, undone by the virus. Our eyes are yet to open..."

"Fear the new virus."

"By the Lord, fear it, Benedict."

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I assume anyone who cares already knows, but the Surge 2 is on Xbox Game Pass right now and I have found it to be a big improvement over the first one (which I never finished). A very good Soulslike. The bosses are more like Sekiro bosses to me, in that you absolutely cannot BS your way through them and you have to learn their moves.
That's cool. I liked the idea of the first one, but I ended up not liking it because I felt like I was constantly lost in a sea of same-looking environments. I don't know why but I can't seem to find a Souls-like that I can stick to. Even Nioh.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So maybe someone can help me out here. I have 10 soul of Nadalia fragments which means I'm missing 2. I found one idol but don't have any smelter wedges. The only wedge I haven't gotten is from Alonne. So where is the other fragment? If there's only one smelter wedge left where does the other soul fragment come from?

thanks

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. I liked the idea of the first one, but I ended up not liking it because I felt like I was constantly lost in a sea of same-looking environments. I don't know why but I can't seem to find a Souls-like that I can stick to. Even Nioh.
That was my experience with the first one as well. This one has more environmental diversity and, for the most part, very generous shortcuts.

Noobcraft

Nov 23, 2017
I've been trying to complete a SL8 +0 Pyro run on DS3. I've done pretty well (most bosses defeated) but I stupidly beat Demon Princes and Gael before Sister Freide so I can't summon Gael 😭 for the 2nd ,and much more importantly,third stage of the Freide fight. It turns out Boulder Heave is great against Freide's first phase and I can usually get through that without damage, but I only get through the 2nd phase sometimes and the third phase is hopeless.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
"Thanks" to the virus I have a lot more free time right now and I began tackling few of my old gaming pile of shame.
One of those is DS2 (SOTFS) and I have to say... I enjoy it very much. It is closer to Demons than I thought it would be. So far I have only finished the first area and the first two bosses but it was a lot of fun. Most of the time I fall off of Souls game at a certain point pretty hard and I never finish them - the only one I finished is still Demons. But who knows - if I continue to enjoy it so much I might be able to play a lot more of it.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So my own playthrough of DS3 is kind of on ice because I got FFVIIR early (and had started playing Trails of Cold Steel II even prior to that), but we've been making somewhat steady process in my neighbour's game (we've been social distancing together). I go over every few days to play. Last boss defeated was the one in the church (?), who summons a shadow copy of itself once you get its health low enough. Got up to the next boss in the castle (?) in the mountains, but that proved too hard to start tackling after we had already banged our heads against the big multi-armed/legged monster right before it, which wasn't even all that hard, it has plenty of attacks that leave it vulnerable, but I dunno, maybe we were just tired and couldn't even beat it, let alone the boss.

I'm mostly enjoying my time with the game but there are some bosses & enemies that I just actively dislike. Generally ones that have huge range with their (often flaming) weapons or are a bit too sticky with how their attacks advance, so it feels too much like a crapshoot whether similar dodges get me out of the attack's way or not each time. Like the boss that we are up against. It just keeps coming, waving it's huge flaming weapon and hitting, hard to find an opening that doesn't lead to us losing 70% of our health. -_-

That and I just can't understand how to parry in this game. Like ok, I see when I'm too early or way too late, but sometimes I think I press L2 at an adequate point (enemy is just about to hit me) and still nothing. Like, do you need to be fucking frame-perfect or something >_<

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Got up to the next boss in the castle (?) in the mountains, but that proved too hard to start tackling after we had already banged our heads against the big multi-armed/legged monster right before it, which wasn't even all that hard, it has plenty of attacks that leave it vulnerable, but I dunno, maybe we were just tired and couldn't even beat it, let alone the boss.
I'm guessing you didn't play DS1? :p Anor Londo is a significant call back to the same area in DS1

That and I just can't understand how to parry in this game. Like ok, I see when I'm too early or way too late, but sometimes I think I press L2 at an adequate point (enemy is just about to hit me) and still nothing. Like, do you need to be fucking frame-perfect or something >_<
Have you tried using one of the smaller shields, they give a few more active parry frames. The sweetspot for parries was perfect in DS1, and although it's not 1:1, to me the small shields bring it much closer in line with DS1, at least visually.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing you didn't play DS1? :p Anor Londo is a significant call back to the same area in DS1
I haven't, my neighbour has and did mention about the connection to DS1. I'm just very bad at remembering names, especially in this kind of game where there isn't much in the way of traditional storytelling where the name would be brought up enough for my forgetful brains to make a mental note that it actually remembers.

Have you tried using one of the smaller shields, they give a few more active parry frames. The sweetspot for parries was perfect in DS1, and although it's not 1:1, to me the small shields bring it much closer in line with DS1, at least visually.
Didn't know that, will have to try that. Currently we have a fairly large shield (not the largest, but pretty big) because it gives enough stability not to be fucked over & stunned even by bosses just looking in our direction. -_- Not sure if you can even parry with it. It does a kind of slam to the ground, followed with a quick push forward, so I'm not sure if that's just an attack or if it can parry too. But we've only been using it for the last boss & Anor Londo.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Beat Sir Alonne and found the remaining soul pieces to trade for Outcry. Now on to NG++ to get the last remaining spells for the plat.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Heide's Tower of Flame done.
I love how this area looks. Sadly it's not very interesting and the bosses are... also not interesting.
Now onto the wharf! Also how do I always manage to overlevel is this game, holy shit.

edit: The Wharf is pretty fun, which I think might be against the general opinion. The only thing out of place are those mini-cloverfield monsters. Unless the boss is this area is a bigger version of this - they make no sense!

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Snagged DS1 and 2 for 25 total on Xbox. I beat RE3 in 4 hours and all I wanted to do is play DS1 lol. I shouldn't because I wanna play new games and buy Persona 5 but I'm worried I won't like it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Uh man kinda frustrated at DS2 now. Sometimes this game just throws enemies at you for the sake of it? I am actually okay with the Pursuer but boy sometimes everything can be a bit much. That Royal Soldier swarm at Lost Bastille, right before the boss? Yeah no.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Uh man kinda frustrated at DS2 now. Sometimes this game just throws enemies at you for the sake of it? I am actually okay with the Pursuer but boy sometimes everything can be a bit much. That Royal Soldier swarm at Lost Bastille, right before the boss? Yeah no.

Wait til you get to the Iron Keep.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Ugh. Guess to better stop now while it's still a bit fun.
I started to enjoy the gangs of enemies, but it took a while. And because beating them is dependant on using the environment and not getting surrounded, every time you meet a new gang they will probably fuck you up. You need to be super cautious and ready to retreat to a choke point.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
There's a shortcut that bypasses this ambush completely

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Guess to better stop now while it's still a bit fun.

Don't do that! There are a few too many ambushes by groups, but there are also some very interesting bosses and fights in DS2. Also, I've always really enjoyed the ways it ties in with DS - as a sequel it has a really interesting view on the first game and the connections between them.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Oh I did not see all the answers, sorry for that.
Hmm I have not found the shortcut yet, it seems to be the only way in?
Also I cashed in Dragonriders soul for the halberd. Man compared to DS1 I dislike halberds here a lot :( I upgraded it to +1 but I might actually not use this weapon...

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Pushing onward again in DS 3 and I've just got to the Irithryl (sp?) dungeon. Main disappointment with this game is the weapon upgrade/customisation. I have a fancy irithyll straight sword that I was so happy to get ages ago. But because its upgrade components are so rare it always lags behind regular weapons that I can always keep upgrading. So, I never get to use it.

All the weapon modifications seem like they give with one hand and take with the other, meaning they never seem to be a good upgrade. Definitely preferred Bloodborne's gem system.

I have to say the Cathedral was my least favourite location so far. It wasn't bad per se but the locations did feel a touch generic.

Otherwise my tanky, arcane knight is holding up pretty well. :)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pushing onward again in DS 3 and I've just got to the Irithryl (sp?) dungeon. Main disappointment with this game is the weapon upgrade/customisation. I have a fancy irithyll straight sword that I was so happy to get ages ago. But because its upgrade components are so rare it always lags behind regular weapons that I can always keep upgrading. So, I never get to use it.

All the weapon modifications seem like they give with one hand and take with the other, meaning they never seem to be a good upgrade. Definitely preferred Bloodborne's gem system.

I have to say the Cathedral was my least favourite location so far. It wasn't bad per se but the locations did feel a touch generic.

Otherwise my tanky, arcane knight is holding up pretty well. :)

This could be a moot point, but one of the main reasons people love Cathedral of the Deep is because of its huge assortment of secret areas. Have you been up to the rafters? Found the secret chamber? There's more.

Same goes for the less common upgrade mats. They're usually well off the beaten path or gated behind optional or mini bosses. Make sure you're exploring!

If you are exploring then I guess disregard this.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
This could be a moot point, but one of the main reasons people love Cathedral of the Deep is because of its huge assortment of secret areas. Have you been up to the rafters? Found the secret chamber? There's more.

Same goes for the less common upgrade mats. They're usually well off the beaten path or gated behind optional or mini bosses. Make sure you're exploring!

If you are exploring then I guess disregard this.

Yeah, I went up to the rafters but I'm sure I missed some spots in the Catherdral. There was some stuff happening with the switches and platforms that I didn't understand at all. I will go back to there and some other places like the swamp that I need to complete the sweep off. But I am exploring religiously.

Found out you can't cast the magic weapon spell on the Irythril Straight Sword after I wasted all this twinkling titanite on it :(. Starting to hate this sword now.

Just got to fighting friggin' Cervantes. Easily the hardest boss for me so far but hopefully I can get him tonight.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The more I play DS1 Remastered the more I realize DS3 is the best Souls game. So much annoying stuff like the lack of omnidirectional rolling (locked on), constant collision even though enemies can swing their swords through the wall, not being able to move while healing. I'm starting to miss combat arts, too.

Man. This might be an annoying playthrough and might taint my view on DS1.

I haven't played since launch on 360 and QOL improvements are natural as franchises progress, but mannnnnnnnnn. Clunky is the only word I can think of right now.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Is it bad that I enjoy DS2 more than DS1? I know it has worse and less interesting level design, bad encounters and lot's of other annoyances.
But somehow I keep playing it whereas I never manage to play more DS1 after 15 hours or so.