• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I hope not, he deserves to do something else.
Would much prefer a completely new game from him.
He nearly worked himself to death on the last one too.
Release the man from the smash chains.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
I hope he's not the director.

He created an amazing template for Smash, but his stubbornness is keeping the series from fulfilling it's potential.

The game needs better online, better local party modes, a better balance between competitive and casual play, and more customization options (stsge hazard toggles, etc.)

He's like George Lucas. Created an amazing series but he needs to let go of his baby as he's actively hurting it.

Couldn't disagree more.

Sakurai's one of the few ppl keeping true to what makes Smash unique from the dozens of 1v1 fighters that Smash "fans" are trying to turn it into.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Couldn't disagree more.

Sakurai's one of the few ppl keeping true to what makes Smash unique from the dozens of 1v1 fighters that Smash "fans" are trying to turn it into.

Huh?

The template for Smash is already there. What needs to be improved are depth and features like online.

Adding depth doesn't affect casual play.

Sakurai making 1 v1 be final destination only online is basically trolling your biggest fans. He doesn't give a fuck about community feedback.

The same dude added random tripping that couldn't be toggled off. The man is a fucking hazard.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Smash Brothers is one of those series that could stay on cruise control and still sell gangbusters. Let Sakurai oversee the franchise but with little direct involvement, so he can cultivate Kid Icarus into becoming another classic IP in the same breath as Zelda (no pun intended). Kid Icarus has that potential, no joke.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If he is leaving that lends credence to the idea that a Smash 4 port is coming. Consulting on that would be a good gateway into leaving Smash 5 to the new people.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for something like this, as other's said I think his extreme control of the series is starting to hurt it.
Get some fresh blood in there making decisions, have decisions be made by multiple people, not just one man.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
That's great news. Also nice that the 3DS won't be here this time to hamper development.

Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai is the Hideo Kojima of Nintendo. I wish they'd let him do something else.
No, he's not, AT ALL. He doesn't even work for Nintendo and hasn't since after Melee. He's chosen to work on Smash because he wanted to (and presumably didn't trust others to).

Do people even know Sakurai's relationship with Nintendo? He's head of Sora LTD, which is literally a contracting firm that Nintendo hired for Brawl, 4 and Kid Icarus

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
No, he's not, AT ALL. He doesn't even work for Nintendo and hasn't since after Melee. He's chosen to work on Smash because he wanted to (and presumably didn't trust others to).

Do people even know Sakurai's relationship with Nintendo? He's head of Sora LTD, which is literally a contracting firm that Nintendo hired for Brawl, 4 and Kid Icarus
Even during the 64/Melee days he worked at HAL. He has never actually worked at Nintendo.

Nov 17, 2017
He's like George Lucas. Created an amazing series but he needs to let go of his baby as he's actively hurting it.
I disagree and honestly I think this is hyperbole. I thought Smash 4 was an amazing game. Easily my favorite Smash Bros. title.

I think some new direction can help - I don't think Smash 4 was perfect and some of the side modes like Smash... whatever the board game one was, were pretty boring. But there's so much in that game that is just amazing and due to Sakurai's dedication to the game. I think he should step back a bit but still be involved. Mainly due to his own health. I think there's a reason that no other Smash-like game is as good to play as Smash Bros. is.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

I know, I know. But the last two times he was convinced to return iirc. I'm not saying anyone is forcing him, but he's been "done" and has been reeled back in everytime and I wish he'd do something else.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he's working on the next one while a team ports 4 to Switch.

There's no reason for a full-fledged sequel with such an incremental processing difference between Wii U and Switch.
There's no reason to release both games for the Switch. The system isn't starved for games so badly it needs a Smash as quickly as possible, plus the later 4 is released the later 5 is potentially released. Like, if a 4 port came out in 2018, 5 wouldn't be "reasonable" until 2020. I don't know why people want Smash 4 again so badly. I get you liked the game and the characters, but the insistence on it over a completely new game is bizarre to me. Is it impatience or something?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to release both games for the Switch. The system isn't starved for games so badly it needs a Smash as quickly as possible, plus the later 4 is released the later 5 is potentially released. Like, if a 4 port came out in 2018, 5 wouldn't be "reasonable" until 2020. I don't know why people want Smash 4 again so badly. I get you liked the game and the characters, but the insistence on it over a completely new game is bizarre to me. Is it impatience or something?
Personally I'd rather see them build on what they have rather than starting from scratch again. I want all the characters, stages and features back with new ones on top.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
A consultant might not be a bad fit for him. He absolutely should not return to Smash as a director. The man almost kills himself every time.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Smash 4's Classic Mode/Smash Tour/8-Player Smash are perfectly playable, although I agree Smash Tour was an iffy idea.

I disagree and honestly I think this is hyperbole. I thought Smash 4 was an amazing game. Easily my favorite Smash Bros. title.

I think some new direction can help - I don't think Smash 4 was perfect and some of the side modes like Smash... whatever the board game one was, were pretty boring. But there's so much in that game that is just amazing and due to Sakurai's dedication to the game. I think he should step back a bit but still be involved. Mainly due to his own health. I think there's a reason that no other Smash-like game is as good to play as Smash Bros. is.

Pretty much how I feel. I wouldn't be surprised if he steps down into a consultant role. At the very least, if the Switch port is real, that's certainly what he's doing for it.

(Although, you could say that he's apparently speaking in present tense might disprove that, but obviously he wouldn't be able to reveal its existence, lol)

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't disagree more.

I'm trying to find the quote, but I remember him saying that he doesn't see Smash as a competitive game because it lacks complicated motions. He's still an incredibly smart person regarding game development, but he sometimes comes across as fairly naive to Smash's potential for growth. Making the core gameplay more appealing for hardcore players and having more competition friendly options won't stop regular folks from picking their favorite character and playing with items on Hyrule Temple and having a grand time. Smash is one of the few franchises that could appeal to multiple audiences incredibly easy and not have to betray it's roots.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I honestly hope Sakurai doesn't come back, for his own personal health, physical and mental. His insistence to manually playtest everything personally for balance is both admirable and destroying his hands, and fatiguing him. I think working on one series that long and trying to one up himself each time also must be incredibly stressful. There's other guys who can handle it. Give Sakurai something new.

Or a Meteos sequel.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People seriously want Sakurai gone in Smash? Jeez. Quality has been superb in the series in large part because of him. You may disagree with his direction but the continuous rise in sales numbers and the series' super strong popularity say that he's doing the right thing.

Whatever his decision is, whether it's taking the helm again or being a consultant or just retiring from the series, I will respect that. But he'll always be my first choice as the director for the future Smash Bros if I'm Nintendo.

In terms of making new games again, he still made Kid Icarus before making Smash again, so it's not like he's stuck in one series since. He's a freelancer after all, so he has some control over which games to make. Maybe he just loves Smash Bros the most.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope he's not the director.

He created an amazing template for Smash, but his stubbornness is keeping the series from fulfilling it's potential.

The game needs better online, better local party modes, a better balance between competitive and casual play, and more customization options (stsge hazard toggles, etc.)

Smash 4 is the best in the series

Things like online are overall shortcomings of Nintendo, nothing specific to Sakurai. Till this day Nintendo still needs to figure out online with Switch

Smash 4 had a bit of everything on terms of casual and competitive. Every stage could be final destination type stage, normal battle field type stages. And for casual, many stages with hazard, and items on and off. All the characters look and feel right as well, and play well.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I'm actually curious and more interested to see what someone new will do. Smash 4 was awesome, but it doesn't feel as fresh or fun anymore despite all the awesome new characters.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It's like what we mostly speculated and guessed that Sakura still have his hands on the project but wouldn't be in a director's position. Like I said in discord and probably this thread but I can't remember I'm perfectly fine with Sakurai coming up with movesets and animations then share it with the teams and they can do rest of the works. Also Sakurai could examine the final results for those newcomers.

However I'm very curious to see if a new director would have power to add their own versions of single player contents.

Sakurai is the Hideo Kojima of Nintendo. I wish they'd let him do something else.

Do you realize that if he's being in consulting position that meant it would allows him to works on other project as well?

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017

The reason's simple. I like the roster, stages, music, and balance and unless they drastically change the art style it's going to look identical. Wasn't Smash U 1080/60?

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Did Sakurai said that he might not works on Kid Icarus Uprising 2 so I hope that it's going to be a completely new franchise or a revival of any franchise that have been dead for long time.

I hope Sakurai doesn't have as much influence in picking the roster this time. I mean, Super Smash Bros 4 was chock full of references to people who were left out (like Daisy)

I'm pretty sure he would have good influence over the roster.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A smash without him has the chance to actually bea good game. Nintendo should have just hired the Project M team.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
People seriously want Sakurai gone in Smash? Jeez. Quality has been superb in the series in large part because of him. You may disagree with his direction but the continuous rise in sales numbers and the series' super strong popularity say that he's doing the right thing.

Whatever his decision is, whether it's taking the helm again or being a consultant or just retiring from the series, I will respect that. But he'll always be my first choice as the director for the future Smash Bros if I'm Nintendo.

In terms of making new games again, he still made Kid Icarus before making Smash again, so it's not like he's stuck in one series since. He's a freelancer after all, so he has some control over which games to make. Maybe he just loves Smash Bros the most.

I agree completely. He brings the fan service, easter eggs, and just has the polish that I expect from the franchise. It's not that I don't trust another director, but it's a tough role to fill.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I do find it funny some people want Sakurai gone so their favorite character gets in.

I think many people who wanted him completely gone because they doesn't get their favorite character(s) like KKR or Ridley, OR they want Melee part 2. Like you see what Anthony said.

I thought he was working on a robot game (Custom Robo)

That was a speculation which started by Sakurai mention that he bought robot model to just acquire the assault rifle for his next project. It can be used for many different things, other than a project about Robot. I could say that it could be used for Inkling's moveset.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I think many people who wanted him completely gone because they doesn't get their favorite character(s) like KKR or Ridley, OR they want Melee part 2. Like you see what Anthony said.

That was a speculation which started by Sakurai mention that he bought robot model to just acquire the assault rifle for his next project. It can be used for many different things, other than a project about Robot. I could say that it could be used for Inkling's moveset.

So you are saying a new Custom Robo is not happening...
giphy.gif

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Huh?

The template for Smash is already there. What needs to be improved are depth and features like online.

Sakurai making 1 v1 be final destination only online is basically trolling your biggest fans. He doesn't give a fuck about community feedback.

The same dude added random tripping that couldn't be toggled off. The man is a fucking hazard.

But tripping isn't even in Smash 4 so he already learnt his lesson this time. I'm perfectly fine with a new director if Sakurai is still involved with the project to make sure that there wouldn't be any huge changes to gameplay and the principal of Smash Bros. That's why Sakurai really need to find someone that could take over Smash Project and fully understand what Smash Bros is all about. I meant that's how Nintendo did with their future workers. They groomed and teach them everything about the franchises so they can take over when old developers retired.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Huh?

That you referred to what I was talking about (4 player gameplay, aka what Smash was designed to be) as "casual play" is the very root of the problem. Seems to me like the Smash community doesn't give a fuck about what the game's creator wants.

Sakurai's always said the 1v1 no items "competitive" ruleset is what's holding back Smash from reaching its full potential, and it's hard to argue with him. There's so much unique gameplay potential that this ruleset ignores, and at no gain whatsoever, since there's nothing that can be done under this limiting "legit" way to play that can't be done in a 4 player environment.

Sakurai's not perfect, but I'd put a million times more faith in him than a bunch of non-designers who throw around words like "clusterfuck" and "random" without actually knowing what they mean.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That you referred to what I was talking about (4 player gameplay, aka what Smash was designed to be) as "casual play" is the very root of the problem. Seems to me like the Smash community doesn't give a fuck about what the game's creator wants.

Sakurai's always said the 1v1 no items "competitive" ruleset is what's holding back Smash from reaching its full potential, and it's hard to argue with him. There's so much unique gameplay potential that this ruleset ignores, and at no gain whatsoever, since there's nothing that can be done under this limiting "legit" way to play that can't be done in a 4 player environment.

Sakurai's not perfect, but I'd put a million times more faith in him than a bunch of non-designers who throw around words like "clusterfuck" and "random" without actually knowing what they mean.

I don't know what random and clusterfuck mean? WTF???

And I'm not saying I would be the fucking director. Plenty of other talent out there. Quit it with the strawman arguments. They don't help discussion at all.

How is having more options and depth limiting potential??? Providing options for competitive play doesn't hurt casual play at all.

I love playing smash in both 1v1 and 4v4 modes. Smash 4 has issues in both.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, Sakurai wont be coming back for Smash. Smash will be coming back for Sakurari. "A good child always returns home (to his Daddy)"

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
A smash without him has the chance to actually bea good game. Nintendo should have just hired the Project M team.

Naw, I don't think that would be a good move. Yes, I played the game and I have been pouring many hours into this game but have you really seen their works on few newcomers. It wasn't even that quality as other characters. It feels so weird. (I'm talking about Isaac, Lyn and Knuckle, And I'm totally aware that Isaac is unfinished, awhile Lyn and Knuckles is like 95-99% done)

Sakurai is an imperfect genius. Smash 4 was the best entry so far, despite its shortcomings. It does need some of the things you said (such as a stage hazard toggle), but he gets more content packed into his games than almost any other director. His eye for detail is insane. Pac-Man and Mega Man have never looked so perfect, even from their mother companies.

People really under-appreciate how much of Smash's charm is largely due to Sakurai's crazy eye for detail.

And I don't know who it was that came up with all the mechanics for Villager, particularly the tree, but whoever it was, we want them on the team for the next game.

I'm pretty sure that it was Sakurai who came up with Tree mechanics. That's the main reason why I want Sakurai to stay on Smash Bros project so he could continue to design the characters movesets and animations and leave everything else to the director. Well, I can see Sakurai working on the stages choices as well but I'm not sure tho. Also Many people don't really realize how much love Sakurai have been pouring into the game in term of details, references, etc. I do understand that they are pretty salty that they haven't got their characters since there are some characters that they strongly believe being deserving to be in the game.

Also I have a feeling that if we get new Smash Bros without Sakurai being part of the development, people are going to complains regardless.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol what? Just because the fan community has a specific ruleset that's been worked on for over a decade doesn't mean game designers are going to use that for a certain mode. I get wanting more stages for For Glory, but to say he's trolling by making it Omega Stages is ridiculous.

The same dude removed it next game which in turn means he listened to community feedback. You are also ignoring all the good he has done for this series and nitpicking things that aren't perfection.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Don't come back for the next Smash please. Let it be free of Sakurai's anti-competitive ideas.