• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Official announcement is out:
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/b...&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510882077024

Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We've also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You've seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We've heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we've heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn't get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we're turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we've made changes to the game. We'll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

8ADG.gif

New article update: MTX progression will be returning

http://www.usgamer.net/amp/ea-star-...-and-those-who-want-an-accelerated-experience
Today, EA announced that it will be removing microtransactions from Star Wars Battlefront 2. However, this is only a temporary measure until EA can achieve, what the company says is the "right balance" between those who want to progress through gameplay and those who want what they call an "accelerated experience."

Disney CEO called EA CEO
https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/...actions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/

Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, and players are finding that the option to purchase the premium crystals currency is no longer working. EA has now confirmed that it is taking this feature down to address fan concerns just as the game is about to launch worldwide tomorrow. All of this comes after multiple days of outrage from fans who are upset that EA and developer DICE have implemented an online multiplayer system that gives an advantage to people who pay money.

Original story:
http://mp1st.com/news/star-wars-bat...y-all-gear-to-be-unlocked-through-progression

Multiple sources have confirmed to MP1st that an announcement is coming very, very soon. Once the official announcement is out we"ll be sure to update the post.

It seems Crystals, the in-game currency that can be bought by real-world money, is off the table! All Star Cards, Heroes, and game-changing items can only be obtained by natural progression (grinding)! When DICE mentioned that a "progression iteration" was incoming at launch, we never thought it'd be this big, but we'll take it with open arms.

From mp1st writer:
FYI, I had multiple sources confirm this within the day. Announcement was supposed to happen earlier, but no idea why it's still not up.

Additionally important:
Key take away I'm going to put out there before this thread gets really bumping.

This does not mean "the death of Loot Boxes / MTX". They will continue to be in many games moving forward.

What this does mean though is a caution to all developers / publishers to not make overly anti consumer design choices in their personal MTX systems. Still great news for gamers but don't assume this means suddenly the industry will abandon them

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
How good are these multiple sources? If an announcement is coming soon I'd rather wait for that.

Deleted member 15632

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this make it worthwhile to pickup then? Grabbing my new XBoxOX later today so was thinking BF2 as part of the deal.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, I had multiple sources confirm this within the day. Announcement was supposed to happen earlier, but no idea why it's still not up.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is great to hear. I'll need to see the full details before I jump in though.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good move.

I'm not anti Loot Boxes when they are implemented well / fairly ala Overwatch.

But Battlefront II had maybe the worst I've ever seen

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big moment for the industry. Don't be surprised if we see big delays for certain games going forward

RahX

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as EA releases an official statement confirming this. Instant buy!

WE WON!!....I bet the grinding will still be a pain, but at least no more pay to win bullshit

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, I think I'm buying this game for the holidays, and I'm not a Star Wars fan, nor a shooter fan, but it looked interesting. Maybe they will tweak the grinding as well.

Just focus on selling cosmetic stuff, and there's no doubt there could be tons of cosmetics they can add to it. Hopefully they just sell them straight up and not leave the cosmetics to random loot boxes like Overwatch (doubt it).

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody considering buying this now should be embarrassed at how quickly you're willing to do a 180. EA still wins if you buy the game and you're letting them off the hook. Nothing is stopping them from adding MTs/P2W at a later date.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news and fair play for DICE for getting this done so quick, they've created a fantastic game and it would've been a travesty had it been sent out to die through corporate greed.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
They can turn them off just like that?

Did they anticipate a backlash and include a kill switch?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Now it will only take you 4000 hours to unlock everything.

But you can sleep better knowing the person with max star cards that slaughtered you was only able to do so because they play more than you.

It's a victory, but it should never have come to this.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Good work to the gaming community at large. I know a lot of people who are probably gonna pick this up now.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That still means you're playing an unbalanced game. Everyone should be equal in multiplayer. There shouldn't be a "progression" system at all, leave that to singleplayer.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Yay now they're only slightly scummy to the point where I don't feel as guilty if I buy the game!"

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Soderlund got a visit from The Goof today, delivering the word that the Mouse was not pleased by the mainstream coverage.