• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Throughout the episode, different characters bring up that Heather just started identifying as trans two weeks ago. It's revealed later in a plot twist that Heather was at one point in time the ex-boyfriend of Strong Woman, who tells PC Principal that Heather, formerly Blake, hates women and can't stand to be beaten by one. When Strong Woman broke up with him, he swore he would get back at her and is now doing so as Heather Swanson. The reveal of Heather's true motives feels like justification for people who believe some men would claim to be trans so they could go into women's bathrooms. It's a conversation that's rooted in bigotry but masked as actual concern for women's safety, kind of how this episode is masked in what's supposed to be desire for nuance without bringing any. And the episode continues to take jabs at trans women, with Heather Swanson visiting the PC household to taunt Strong Woman about losing the competition to her. When PC Principal asks Heather to leave, he is accused of being a transphobe, which suggests that trans women are quick to call someone a transphobe when met with any kind of criticism—an unfair claim for the show to make.

Trash show continues to be trash. Not surprising considering that other dolphin episode

Oct 28, 2017
"But the show makes fun of EVERYONE EQUALLY!"

One of the last things I want to hear in today's political climate are the hot takes of two rich libertarian dudes who accumulated their wealth by acting like 14-year-olds. Anyone who thinks South Park has anything insightful to say is a fucking dunce.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

One of the last things I want to hear in today's political climate are the hot takes of two rich libertarian dudes who accumulated their wealth by acting like 14-year-olds. Anyone who thinks South Park has anything insightful to say is a fucking dunce.

^ this

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
South Park's most important legacy will be setting back public opinion on climate change a decade.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bUt ThEy MaDe FuN oF tRuMp!
#wElCoMeToThErEsIsTaNcE

May 13, 2019

You can said that again. And you probably should, given that SP fans aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
That whole arc of Mr. Garrison turning into Ms. Garrison and back again was transphobic as fuck when they first aired and has aged even worse since then. The fact that they still act like this is not surprising.

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throughout the episode, different characters bring up that Heather just started identifying as trans two weeks ago. It's revealed later in a plot twist that Heather was at one point in time the ex-boyfriend of Strong Woman, who tells PC Principal that Heather, formerly Blake, hates women and can't stand to be beaten by one. When Strong Woman broke up with him, he swore he would get back at her and is now doing so as Heather Swanson.
What the fuck am I even reading

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is pretty disappointing considering the general not-shittiness of their more recent takes as far as I know. This sounds as bad as the dolphin bullshit.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

I don't think anyone finds anything insightful from South Park. At least I hope not...Yikes, if so. South Park has always been abrasive and, yeah, a bit offensive and controversial. It's to be expected after all of these years.

I haven't watched the episode, so I can't say if it goes too far or if it's really in poor taste. I'm of the belief that virtually anything can be funny, with the right tone, timing and delivery.

But jokes can go over the edge and come off as being hateful and mean spirited if handled poorly.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Didn't they do a similar thing like 10 years ago where Kyle transitions into a black basketball player? Yeah South Park hasn't been good here.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Unsurprising for anyone who has seen any of their other disgustingly transphobic content. Comedy Central needs to send a message here, there can be no more tolerance for this kind of hate. Take them off the air.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
This is such a horrendous show, will forever pray for its downfall. A literall stain on media, it was never in any way shape or form good. I hope this bitch gets cancelled soon. A literal DISEASE

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because of how often the show brazenly shits on Republicans, people (not just here, but in general) tend to forget that Stone and Parker are Libertarians with a lot of their own shitty world views.

I haven't seen the episode yet, so I don't know how far they take it here, but they were pretty openly mocking transitioning a few years back with the Caitlyn Jenner jokes (which most were okay with because it was them singling out one individual with the jokes and not an entire group).

OP
OP
metalslimer

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising for anyone who has seen any of their other disgustingly transphobic content. Comedy Central needs to send a message here, there can be no more tolerance for this kind of hate.

They aren't going to do anything. They'll keep giving Trey and Matt a blank check as long as they want to keep doing this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Worth noting it's trans awareness week. Fuck them. Have no time for 'comedy' that's indistinguishable from the nonsense that trans people have to deal with persistently in discussions around their being.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But the people who dealt with trans people with such sensitivity as comparing us to wanting to become a dolphin would never be outwardly transphobic like this in 2019.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean are we really surprised? It's a generally racist, homophobic, and transphobic show created by 2 dudes who have all of those qualities.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I think they just signed up for 3 more seasons.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This is pretty disappointing considering the general not-shittiness of their more recent takes as far as I know. This sounds as bad as the dolphin bullshit.

I mean considering that China's biggest issues are all tied into an authoritarian abuse of [state] power, I'm not surprised that some libertarian dudes would have a good take on that but then fail to understand more pernicious abuses perpetuated not always by the state directly, but condoned by it nonetheless. "Live and let live" isn't a workable motto when people are dying.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nailed it.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Generally I like South Park. They do some awful shit sometimes but a lot is good and funny so I kinda look past it.

That said this episode really wasn't redeemable in overall message whatsoever.

So none of you have seen the episode it seems.

Watched this morning. It was bad. Portraying some ridiculous boogie man scenario to make a point discussion and critique should be nuanced is just not a good idea at all.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The entire episode was a bad idea, and disappointing considering South Park has been pretty actively making a point to call themselves out for some of their past shit (on climate change, voting, etc.)

The point of the episode (at least in T&M's mind) did seem to be that Heather is a bad person lying about who they are out of hate, not a representative of an actual transgender person.

But it was poorly done, unfunny, and offensive. Really disappointing.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The show has always been liberal centrist bullshit, but edgy. This should be not be even remotely surprising. Disgusting regardless.

Worth noting it's trans awareness week. Fuck them. Have no time for 'comedy' that's indistinguishable from the nonsense that trans people have to deal with persistently in discussions around their being.

Fuck I didn't even think about it in that context. That makes this so much worse.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How is anyone still surprised at this point. This is what south park does, they've proven time and time again that they're okay with punching down.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Not much else to say. Fuck those guys.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
What? you mean "le enlightened centrism the show" is bigoted? never coulda have seen this coming, and this is definitely unprecedented, this show has totally never done shit like this before

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The point of the episode (at least in T&M's mind) did seem to be that Heather is a bad person lying about who they are out of hate, not a representative of an actual transgender person.
If that was their point they failed. The point they seemed to want to make was that it's ok to criticize certain cases. But it didn't really show at all Heather wasn't representative. That's the issue.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I mean considering that China's biggest issues are all tied into an authoritarian abuse of [state] power, I'm not surprised that some libertarian dudes would have a good take on that but then fail to understand more pernicious abuses perpetuated not always by the state directly, but condoned by it nonetheless. "Live and let live" isn't a workable motto when people are dying.
I was referring to more than just the China stuff though. From what I've read (checked out of new episodes years ago), there's also been good takes recently re:climate change, NCAA, and some other topics I can't remember off the top of my head. Their handling of race issues in both the Zimmerman episode a few years back and The Fractured But Whole was good too.

This isn't to say that they don't have horrifically bad takes or that their bad takes aren't amplified by their platform of course.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Episode was awful. How can you kill the dungeon master?!?

EDIT: Since I've been warned for this post, I want to make it clear I do not condone the transphobic nature of this episode.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The entire episode was a bad idea, and disappointing considering South Park has been pretty actively making a point to call themselves out for some of their past shit (on climate change, voting, etc.)

But it was poorly done, unfunny, and offensive. Really disappointing.
So it's like the whole Mrs. Garrison arc except even worse because it plays directly into the whole trans "subterfuge" scare tactics?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Soooo they thought it would be funny to make an episode about how transphobes are right, "some trans women simply identify as women to win competitions" mAkeS u tHiNk

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode really missed the mark. I kind of saw what they were going for but it was poorly conveyed. It sucks because as of late they've been pretty good about realizing their missteps and calling out themselves. Just overall bad.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of that male to female surgery footage bit they included in the Garrison? episode? I'm not sure the whole "everyone gets made fun of!" sentiment is actually valid when it comes to this subject. Not sure they've ever gone to those lengths for any other topic.