• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The episode is critiquing the idea of people who abuse the system and terminology to claim they are trans in order to partake in events. It also critiques those who don't wish to have a conversation about what does it take for someone to be considered trans; does just stating that you are count or do you have to be "so far along transitioning".
Transphobes have pushed the idea that trans women are actually men pretending to be women to get into women's spaces for forever now, South Park acting like that's an actual thing that happens is incredibly harmful.

Also you don't need to be at any stage of transitioning, medically or otherwise, to be considered trans.

Last edited:

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I wish people were as passionate about defending trans rights as they were about defending mediocre comedy

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
The episode is critiquing the idea of people who abuse the system and terminology to claim they are trans in order to partake in events.

from what I have gleaned it isn't critiquing the idea, it presents exactly what transphobes claim to be against (men pretending to be women to invade women's spaces) and then say that is bad. which is 100% in line with transphobe rhetoric.

It also critiques those who don't wish to have a conversation about what does it take for someone to be considered trans; does just stating that you are count or do you have to be "so far along transitioning".

this conversation isn't for cis people to have and certainly isn't for two cis men to critique. even if this episode was successful at what it was aiming to do it would still be transphobic and shit

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe next time South Park does something "valiant", we can remember this shit and not give them any praises?

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The episode is critiquing the idea of people who abuse the system and terminology to claim they are trans in order to partake in events. It also critiques those who don't wish to have a conversation about what does it take for someone to be considered trans; does just stating that you are count or do you have to be "so far along transitioning".

You are trans when you identify as such.
Trans women are allowed to participate against other women after 2 years of being at female hormone levels according to Olympic guidelines.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When regular news media does stories on trans athletes and is supportive, it makes you think why is South Park even needed if it's just going to punch down in such an outdated manner that makes it more irrelevant?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You are trans when you identify as such.
Trans women are allowed to participate against other women after 2 years of being at female hormone levels according to Olympic guidelines.

Man, considering Southpark's audience, they'll believe Matt and Trey with the stupid 2 weeks in this episode...

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It was a pretty uncomfortable episode. The whole episode should have been about board games (which was the B story of the episode). Those parts were fantastic.

The trans stuff was not great or funny. I don't know what Matt and Treys intentions were, but they definitely missed the mark if they were trying to be thoughtful.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard to simultaneously enjoy this show on a weekly basis while also acknowledging that this episode was pretty damn transphobic, come on guys. It was super blatant. I can see the argument that Matt and Trey were trying to send some sort of other message but it just didn't land that way at all. Basically, if they didn't want to be transphobic here, that was a super weak attempt.

To be perfectly fair to South Park's social media team, they update their profile picture with the focus character of the new episode every week. They could have done Strongwoman instead, but it's not so surprising they went with Heather. I don't think that individual action inherently had any bad intention behind it.

They went with Heather in a thong showing the genitalia...

Oct 25, 2017
More so than overtly or intentionally transphobic but I'm not in a position to declare whether it is or is not.

Like the majority of South Park, it's parody/satire are massively exaggerated or made up worst case scenarios to try make a point.
But, and bear with me now, can you see the problem when their attempt at satire is just straight up basic transphobic attack points. What is this episode accomplishing? It's not supportive of trans folk and whether or not it was the intention transphobes are going to see this and feel like the creators are agreeing with them and use it as a bludgeon against trans individuals.

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't be surprised that some people are excusing this bigotry.
South Park has always been shit, for a variety of reasons, bigotry being one of their biggest. This isn't the first time they've been transphobic either.

It's not a show worth defending..

Oct 25, 2017
More so than overtly or intentionally transphobic but I'm not in a position to declare whether it is or is not.

Like the majority of South Park, it's parody/satire are massively exaggerated or made up worst case scenarios to try make a point.

the problem with this statement is when it's made for the upteenth time at some point you have to wonder if they're just not good at dealing with these extremely sensitive topics

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
With how they threatened the mr/miss Garrison plot line years ago, it's pretty clear how they perceive trans folk.
That was 15 years ago. Their opinions could change in that time (much like with climate change). Evidently they still seem to have some issues. If I recall, the episode called "The Cissy" from a few years ago was pretty good and seemed to show that their opinions had changed, but this new episode throws that into question, which is why I struggle to see if there intentions were good or bad. Either way, the episode is definitely problematic.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
That was 15 years ago. Their opinions could change in that time (much like with climate change). Evidently they still seem to have some issues. If I recall, the episode called "The Cissy" from a few years ago was pretty good and seemed to show that their opinions had changed, but this new episode throws that into question, which is why I struggle to see if there intentions were good or bad. Either way, the episode is definitely problematic.
Their opinion on climate change changed in 2018.
I'm not holding my breath regarding trans issues.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
With how they threatened the mr/miss Garrison plot line years ago, it's pretty clear how they perceive trans folk.

This, and every other time they have attacked trans people on this trash show. When the attacks have been going on for as long and frequent as they have, it becomes obvious that this is no joke or "taking the piss". The feelings of hate and contempt are being broadcast loud and clear from Stone and Parker, and in this thread those same feelings are being reciprocated by their audience.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Well let's distill one of the main objectives in the episode about this character, that is...

Can a person transition for the wrong reason?

Can a trans person be toxic?

That seemed to be the main focus of the jokes in the episode.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Well let's distill one of the main objectives in the episode about this character, that is...

Can a person transition for the wrong reason?

Can a trans person be toxic?

That seemed to be the main focus of the jokes in the episode.

damn you're right thanks for clarifying it's definitely the place of two cis dudes just ask these questions of trans people in their pee pee poo poo cartoon

really makes you think deep questions like "what if trans people are bad after all?"

Your assumption that people think this ep is bad because they don't understand it is insulting.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
South Park's most important legacy will be setting back public opinion on climate change a decade.

youtu.be

Maybe We Should Have Done Something About ManBearPig - South Park

Sure, it used to be easy to laugh off the existence of ManBearPig – that is, until it started killing everybody.About South Park: It’s hard being a kid growi...

this doesn't seem too bad, right?

or are you referring to some other moment in the show?

/edit: nevermind, found it. At least they apologized for it.

Last edited:

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
damn you're right thanks for clarifying it's definitely the place of two cis dudes just ask these questions of trans people in their pee pee poo poo cartoon

really makes you think deep questions like "what if trans people are bad after all?"
They could've done it better sure, but as mentioned earlier it's a minefield trying to include trans people in jokes because it's very easy to come off wrong and offensive. It would've been better if they showed more trans characters they mentioned in the episode as a comeback to this specific character, again, the main focus of the joke being...

Toxic Masculinity warped this person's mind to the point where they couldn't handle getting beat by a woman, so they hated women that much they "transitioned" as a woman so they could beat women.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The most exhausting part about this thread is that there are actually this many cis men on ERA that think they should be the ones to decide what trans people should be offended by. There's nothing progressive about this forum.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It really depends on who, in the show, makes these comments.

Some characters are MEANT to be taken as bad influences/symptoms on society. Did Cartman do this? You're not supposed to identify with him. He's clearly depicted as a bad influence.

Is it the theme of the episode, without any pushback? Yeah, then we have a problem.

I couldn't see the episode yet, so I would be grateful if someone could answer that question.

Oct 25, 2017
They could've done it better sure, but as mentioned earlier it's a minefield trying to include trans people in jokes because it's very easy to come off wrong and offensive. It would've been better if they showed more trans characters they mentioned in the episode as a comeback to this specific character, again, the main focus of the joke being...

Toxic Masculinity warped this person's mind to the point where they couldn't handle getting beat by a woman, so they hated women that much they "transitioned" as a woman so they could beat women.

If it's a "minefield" and an episode needs this much pointing out then maybe, just fucking maybe, you don't do the god damn "joke". Especially in an age when the wrong people will latch onto any piece of media to help their narrative

Steak

Oct 27, 2017

it's been said a few times in the thread already that the joke you are saying it's all about is literally transphobe rhetoric verbatim. there isn't a way to do that joke well because the joke is transphobic. they fucked up purpose and execution and anyone that knows anything about teams issues would know this

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Some characters are MEANT to be taken as bad influences/symptoms on society. Did Cartman do this? You're not supposed to identify with him. He's clearly depicted as a bad influence.

Is it the theme of the episode, without any pushback? Yeah, then we have a problem.

I couldn't see the episode yet, so I would be grateful if someone could answer that question.

Cartman's plot is basically: don't allow girls into the board games club (he goes like to the supreme court with the issue).

At the end he sides with "Heather Swanson" that was acting like a piece of shit the entire episode.

Still is kinda weird how it was handled.

Like the whole message of the episode is that "there's nuance on these issues, it's not black and white, and PC babies grow up when they understand this"... but the whole episode lacks the nuanced character to actually prove the point, the only transgender character depicted is a real, abusive and manipulative piece of shit that took advantage of the whole thing.

So again, southpark mixes shit and tries to "educate" an audience without actually giving any real lesson rather than "we're smarter than you, PC babies".

Deleted member 56909

Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Saw a few clips the episode was definitely in poor taste. I'm not a fan of the way they handled this particular issue and it comes off as condematory of people with these issues in real life considering actual banning of trans athletes which I assume was in the news when this episode was written. There's alot of context there that I'm not to fond of considering trans athletes are the gender who they identify with.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
South Park has handled some things well and they've also handled things badly. This episode definitely felt off to me.I mean get what they were trying to do but I they did it very badly.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cartman's plot is basically: don't allow girls into the board games club (he goes like to the supreme court with the issue).

At the end he sides with "Heather Swanson" that was acting like a piece of shit the entire episode.

Still is kinda weird how it was handled.

Like the whole message of the episode is that "there's nuance on these issues, it's not black and white, and PC babies grow up when they understand this"... but the whole episode lacks the nuanced character to actually prove the point, the only transgender character depicted is a real, abusive and manipulative piece of shit that took advantage of the whole thing.

So again, southpark mixes shit and tries to "educate" an audience without actually giving any real lesson rather than "we're smarter than you, PC babies".

Phew...yeah, that's bad.

I admit I assumed this was the usual "Cartman spouts undefendable shit, and everyone takes it at face value" thing.
Doesn't seem to look all that favourable now. >.<

Thanks for the explaination.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, love that this thread is still open while the "Responding to trans topics" thread got locked.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
This thread is one of the best examples of why the majority of the time I feel too uncomfortable to post in any threads, especially threads concerning LGBT issues. Cishet men will try to shut down any criticism until it gets to a point where LGBT (but especially trans) members don't feel safe enough to post/argue any longer. Or, in my case, you don't have the courage/willpower to engage with them in the first place. Of course it's not surprising when the majority of this site is cishet men, but trans people should at least feel fucking comfortable around here & in threads concerning trans issues. The very important trans thread getting locked at the same time as this is happening doesn't help much either.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The most exhausting part about this thread is that there are actually this many cis men on ERA that think they should be the ones to decide what trans people should be offended by. There's nothing progressive about this forum.

Wouldn't be the first time. People assumed Speedy Gonzales was offensive to Mexicans, and Peppa Pig was offensive to Muslims.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry but all of this is bullshit. It doesn't matter if the language used and the jokes made are at the expense of others AND the literal same talking points man anti-trans and TERFs make.

The issue here is time and time again South Park has tried to make political commentary in the name of satire and it comes off bad, with many people defaulting to "WELL ACHTUALLY IF YOU WATCHED THE NUANCE IN THE SHOW". When that same response is used over and over as a defense of the show at some point you need to look at the show as being problematic in a lot of situations.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
South Park is super hit and miss.

In this case they missed by a hundred million miles. Seriously, what were they thinking. No wait, they weren't thinking at all.
Let's get some things clear here: Stone & Parker are, first, foremost, and always

1. Provocateurs
  2. Libertarian (i.e., "soft Conservative")
  3. Privileged white, straight, cis dudes
  4. Did I mention provocateurs?

Their object is to insert themselves into the popular zeitgeist and exploit controversy by thrusting crudely at all the sensitive marks they see. They're shit-stirrers, full stop. If Stone & Parker have any pretensions as important social commentators--which I'm not convinced they do--they're infamously poor at it.

Maneuvering to ascribe them any higher purpose is a fool's errand.

The episode is critiquing the idea of people who abuse the system and terminology to claim they are trans in order to partake in events.
So, a fallacy then? A circumstance which has literally never occurred outside the imaginations of fear-mongering agents of disingenuous rhetoric? Way to go, Parker & Stone, you've shouted fire in a crowded theater.

This bullshit "transitioning to compete" canard needs to be put to rest.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm sorry but all of this is bullshit. It doesn't matter if the language used and the jokes made are at the expense of others AND the literal same talking points man anti-trans and TERFs make.

The issue here is time and time again South Park has tried to make political commentary in the name of satire and it comes off bad, with many people defaulting to "WELL ACHTUALLY IF YOU WATCHED THE NUANCE IN THE SHOW". When that same response is used over and over as a defense of the show at some point you need to look at the show as being problematic in a lot of situations.

Do you really want to repeat myself?
Some Characters in South Park are MEANT to be bad actors. To, you know, recreate our current society.
They are not to be taken as a role model!

I already admitted I didn't see the episode yet (It's a new episode apparently and I'm in Germany...we get shit like 2 weeks later at best.) and asked what the theme of the episode was.

I got a pretty calm answer and agreed that the result was a bad one.

I'm not trying to defend anything. I was just prepared to see a common misinterpretation of some characters.
It was evidently not the case. And I appreciate to have learned that now.

Stop thinking of me as your enemy. I'm not.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really want to repeat myself?
Some Characters in South Park are MEANT to be bad actors. To, you know, recreate our current society.
They are not to be taken as a role model!

I already admitted I didn't see the episode yet (It's a new episode apparently and I'm in Germany...we get shit like 2 weeks later at best.) and asked what the theme of the episode was.

I got a pretty calm answer and agreed that the result was a bad one.

I'm not trying to defend anything. I was just prepared to see a common misinterpretation of some characters.
It was evidently not the case. And I appreciate to have learned that now.

Stop thinking of me as your enemy. I'm not.

No one is making you the enemy, but your statements are used all the time to defend south park. People in this very thread are using it and going with "WELL NUANCE".