• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm not really sure how I would go about making my own soylent, but I'm sure you can beat its nutrition/calorie -> price ratio! It's definitely about the convenience. But it's also only around 3 or 4 dollars a bottle when you have a subscription. That's not too bad

Yeah I think oatmeal milk is a pretty good descriptor. It's slightly sweeter than some might think.

The ingredients are not unlike any other shake or meal replacement you could look up all kinds of recipes. . I mean they added oil ...
Ingredients
Filtered Water, Maltodextrin, Soy Protein Isolate, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Isomaltulose, Alkalized Cocoa Powder, Canola Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Soluble Corn Fiber, Soy Lecithin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Cellulose, Salt, Choline Chloride, Gellan Gum, Sucralose, dl-alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacinamide, Ferrous Bisglycinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12

Oat powder is just oats ground up in a blender or food processor , coconut oil is likely more healthy than rapeseed and sunflower, and chocolate. .. hell with the sugar and fat in them just use chocolate ice cream and whey isolate .... they use soy protein yuck.
Anyway there's worse things out there but it's not really anything you couldn't replicate

I enjoyed cacao, thought coffiest was pretty good (though that kinda messed up my stomach), vanilla was fine & chai was better than I thought it'd be. I'm also really glad that 7-11 has these readily available.

I might pick up a sub for cacao to have on hand for lunch emergencies but at the same time, I find myself having to supplement the shake with additional food as my current job has me constantly on-the-go so I burn calories extremely fast.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Im drinking only comp to try and lose weight, but after about 3 days I just get major headaches and end up eating food again. Comp is ok but its pricey, the delivery times suck, theres only one flavor and their new and improved version is actually worse than the previous one. Unfortunately soylent isn't available at all in Japan, the price of postage makes Jimmy Joy more expensive than Comp. Sadly, in Japan comp is really the only option for meal replacement drinks :(
I like comp's taste actually. Also get those calorie mate canned drinks for a change lol.

Also did you notice the point system on the website for comp? You get 1 point for every 2円 spent and 1 point = 1円 which actually equals quite a bit of money back if you aren't buying on a subscription basis.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I like comp's taste actually. Also get those calorie mate canned drinks for a change lol.

Also did you notice the point system on the website for comp? You get 1 point for every 2円 spent and 1 point = 1円 which actually equals quite a bit of money back if you aren't buying on a subscription basis.

I know they give points but Im sure it doesn't work out at that much, most I have saved so far is ¥2,000 but I must have spent at least ¥200,000 over the past year. Ive never seen the calorie mate drinks in store, only the bars, so I will keep an eye open for them.

When people go 100% lent drinks, do you guys only drink water or do you drink normally? Im trying desperately to lose more weight but even if I go on comp only with no food at all I can only seem to get 1-2kg off in a week, but I also drink coffee and 0 calorie soft drinks so Im wondering if thats the problem.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I know they give points but Im sure it doesn't work out at that much, most I have saved so far is ¥2,000 but I must have spent at least ¥200,000 over the past year. Ive never seen the calorie mate drinks in store, only the bars, so I will keep an eye open for them.

When people go 100% lent drinks, do you guys only drink water or do you drink normally? Im trying desperately to lose more weight but even if I go on comp only with no food at all I can only seem to get 1-2kg off in a week, but I also drink coffee and 0 calorie soft drinks so Im wondering if thats the problem.
I have 2500 points and I've only made like 5 orders and all of them were trial packs lol. And I've only ever seen the calorie mate drinks in Welcia and other drug stores in packs of 6, I don't think I've ever seen them sold individually. Probably not a great replacement for any sort of long term but they're ok now and then.

RedValkyrie

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soylent is good if you need a quick meal.

It isn't filling but good enough to hold you over for about a hour or two.

Deleted member 26394

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In all seriousness, what does it taste like? My partner and me would like to try it but we're in the UK and as far as we know it's not available over here.

https://www.blendrunner.com/
There are many alternatives from all over the globe. Huel has been mentioned in the thread and is UK-based.

Have been using Mana for about 7 months now mostly as a way to control portion sizes and calories easily, and have dropped 10 kg. Basically having it for every meal.

Not a very exciting food, but very happy with the results, and dont feel bad when I do "cheat" and omg does food tast so food when you do finally have some :D

Food does indeed taste like food :P
I occasionally have some mana, usually add (frozen) bananas to it these days. Version 1 was better :|

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using Soylent 2.0 Cacao to replace the random meal for a few months now. I was always intrigued by Soylent, but 1.0 just didn't sound good and I'm a picky eater. The Cacao was my chance to finally try it. It's pretty decent. Not saying you'd drink it specifically for the flavor just for fun, but it's not bad. I definitely suggest drinking lots of water when you're having this to keep yourself feeling full.

I'm actually pretty excited for the strawberry. Might be able to have Soylent more often if I can mix it up. I've been interested in the idea of replacing more meals with it, but concerned about burning myself out on the flavor and then not wanting to have it at all.

It's funny to see the hostility many people have towards it. Like they think they're trying to take away their food. I guess because the company originally pushed the idea you could live on this entirely. I don't think they ever expected anyone to actually do that, but just wanted to show that it has the nutrition.

Realistically, it's just great to use for a meal replacement when you don't have time for a meal, or didn't prepare anything for lunch at work or something like that. I end up using it for breakfast a lot, since I've been having to leave earlier and earlier because of construction traffic, and I'll give up regular breakfast before I'll give up sleep.

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for posting this. I thought the 'soy increases estrogen' shit might pop up here

It's funny to see the hostility many people have towards it. Like they think they're trying to take away their food. I guess because the company originally pushed the idea you could live on this entirely. I don't think they ever expected anyone to actually do that, but just wanted to show that it has the nutrition.

Yes, exactly. This is the reason for the light-hearted hostility in my original post. People like to trip over themselves to say how much they hate the idea.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has this stuff developed to the point where you can completely replace all your meals with it? Or is it still recommended to treat it more as a meal supplement, albeit a really OP meal supplement?

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Has this stuff developed to the point where you can completely replace all your meals with it? Or is it still recommended to treat it more as a meal supplement, albeit a really OP meal supplement?
It's designed to be able to replace any meal. I think one is filling for breakfast but if if I'm replacing dinner I probably want 2 and maybe another later. You might want to have a fiber supplement if you go full soylent. I've had days where I've only had soylent and felt great, but never did 6 months soylent only or anything. But people definitely have

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
It's designed to be able to replace any meal. I think one is filling for breakfast but if if I'm replacing dinner I probably want 2 and maybe another later. You might want to have a fiber supplement if you go full soylent. I've had days where I've only had soylent and felt great, but never did 6 months soylent only or anything. But people definitely have
So it gives you the feeling of satiation? Like not even fullness really. The reason I've been skeptical is that what if I just end up wanting to eat again and that just means more calories.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Been using it for a few months now, as a lunch replacement. I rather like the Cacao, although I haven't tried any of the other flavors to compare. Works great for me - I end up having a lunch schedule where I'm driving between appointments, and this keeps me from just giving up and getting fast food...which has especially few options since I'm a vegetarian.
So it gives you the feeling of satiation? Like not even fullness really. The reason I've been skeptical is that what if I just end up wanting to eat again and that just means more calories.
At least for me, it totally works in this way - I don't feel "full," but I'm not looking to find other food either.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Originally I was still hungry after - I'd usually have, like, an apple or some peanut butter crackers with one - but once you adjust to the idea of a liquid meal, it's filling enough. I'll have one for lunch and there'll no discernable difference in hunger levels between that and my usual sandwich/fruit/snack lineup.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Huel has a very low sugar vanilla flavor sweetened with sucralose I believe. It has significant complex carbs, however, because a balanced normal diet would include complex carbs.

Normal is different for everyone.

I think, in theory, you could live off only soylent. I imagine some people have tried it for extended periods. Tempted to google this now...

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017

I believe some have done it for a time and didn't really have any health effects, just said it was hard totally giving up food.

For the drink, you probably need five a day if you went totally Soylent, as they have 400 calories and 20% recommended daily value (assuming you're targeting about 2000 Cal a day). Honestly, five small meals a day is probably better than three big ones, anyway.

I think it's enough to cover breakfast. For other meals, you may want to have a couple spread out, or maybe pair one with some fruit or something.

I do also take a powder fiber supplement, which helps with feeling full. Not specifically just for that, I take it even when I'm not doing Soylent, but it's a bonus.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gives me strange liquid green poop but I do like the cafe vanilla quite a bit. Wish I could buy them singly here though

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any simple things to mix in for variety? I only drink Soylent every now and again so I hate dirtying the blender just for a serving or two with banana and/or peanut butter. I guess I'm looking for powders or liquids that would work well in a shaker bottle.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Normal is different for everyone.

Semantics. You know what I mean. If you want to argue that a carb-free diet (because of keto extremists) or a gluten-free diet (because celiac disease) or a fat-free diet (because no gallblader or GI disease) or a low-protein diet (because kidney malfunction) is normal because it's normal to somebody, I won't stop you.

Huel was designed by a world-renowned registered dietitian (RD) for the goal of meal replacement for the average healthy person. It's not going to work for you if you need a special diet, or if you want to deprive yourself of a major macronutrient.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this good for someone like me wanting to gain weight, where my biggest struggle is actually eating 3 meals? I can never hit my calories because I miss breakfast or lunch, so if these have a decent amount of calories and are easy to take on the go....

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think, in theory, you could live off only soylent. I imagine some people have tried it for extended periods. Tempted to google this now...

I believe some have done it for a time and didn't really have any health effects, just said it was hard totally giving up food.

For the drink, you probably need five a day if you went totally Soylent, as they have 400 calories and 20% recommended daily value (assuming you're targeting about 2000 Cal a day). Honestly, five small meals a day is probably better than three big ones, anyway.

I think it's enough to cover breakfast. For other meals, you may want to have a couple spread out, or maybe pair one with some fruit or something.

I do also take a powder fiber supplement, which helps with feeling full. Not specifically just for that, I take it even when I'm not doing Soylent, but it's a bonus.

I see. Thanks for the replies. At the very least, I could probably do with replacing my breakfast with one of these. I currently eat two pop-tarts for breakfast, which is not ideal.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Semantics. You know what I mean. If you want to argue that a carb-free diet (because of keto extremists) or a gluten-free diet (because celiac disease) or a fat-free diet (because no gallblader or GI disease) or a low-protein diet (because kidney malfunction) is normal because it's normal to somebody, I won't stop you.

Huel was designed by a world-renowned registered dietitian (RD) for the goal of meal replacement for the average healthy person. It's not going to work for you if you need a special diet, or if you want to deprive yourself of a major macronutrient.

I purposely left my response vague to avoid arguing anything. I hope we can agree that added sugars are not a good thing and many meal replacement powder rely too much on sugar for flavor enhancement.

I checked out the Huel website and I do like their ingredients and overall mission statement. It looks like I would prefer it to Soylent.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I fully support the idea, but have not tried any of these products - I do however probably make my own version for breakfast (and sometimes another meal) daily - 2/3 cups Oats, 25ish grams protein (Soy - Im lactose intolerant recently - used Whey for 20 years, but not now - other plant proteins are too expensise - , a 'glug' of avocado oil (or olive), and a few frozen berries, and a little soy milk for consistency. BOOM, food.

v

Kevyt

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Soylent? Ehh... it gave me stomach issues and never actually felt full.

But Huel... my third week on Huel and I love it! It does not replace all of my "normal" meals since I still have one regular meal a day at least but so far so good. I just subscribed directly through Huel's website to get that discount and waiting on my order to ship. The first two bags I got from amazon because I wanted to try it out. My stomach is very sensitive to anything new so I needed something that wouldn't give me diarrhea, gas or stomach issues like other things I've tried and so far it's been great.

Huel stan in the house!

- 100% vegan
- 30% protein compared to 20% of Soylent
- Tastes much better (subjective opinion though)
- Much better nutrition content overall
- Cheaper than Soylent
- Gluten free options
- Longer shelve live (thanks to its powdered form)

Yeah, I was skeptic at first but this is working really good for me. :3

Edit: I assumed this was a thread for meal replacement options not just exclusive to soylent or? O:

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
I think Coffiest tastes pretty good and I use it as the occasional breakfast replacement. The caffeine is much appreciated too

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
Huel fills me up because it has so much fat, fiber, and protein.
The bonus thing with Huel is you can vary how much liquid you use.

If I need to eat some really quick, I add more milk and make it thin so it goes down well. If I feel really hungry though I use less, which makes the Huel much thicker and that actually makes me feel really full for a while.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Cacao (CACAO!) (that's fun to say out loud) most mornings instead of breakfast. I like it. I tried the Coffiest or whatever and it was gross.

A couple years back they were giving them out on the E3 floor so that's where I first tried them. Wish they were a little cheaper, I usually get it from Amazon.

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Soylent? Ehh... it gave me stomach issues and never actually felt full.

But Huel... my third week on Huel and I love it! It does not replace all of my "normal" meals since I still have one regular meal a day at least but so far so good. I just subscribed directly through Huel's website to get that discount and waiting on my order to ship. The first two bags I got from amazon because I wanted to try it out. My stomach is very sensitive to anything new so I needed something that wouldn't give me diarrhea, gas or stomach issues like other things I've tried and so far it's been great.

Huel stan in the house!

- 100% vegan
- 30% protein compared to 20% of Soylent
- Tastes much better (subjective opinion though)
- Much better nutrition content overall
- Cheaper than Soylent
- Gluten free options
- Longer shelve live (thanks to its powdered form)

Yeah, I was skeptic at first but this is working really good for me. :3

Edit: I assumed this was a thread for meal replacement options not just exclusive to soylent or? O:
It's for everything. I'm interested in all of the alternatives but a lot aren't available in the US. And I really like with bottled soylent that you don't have to mix it yourself.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Soylent + Special K Protein Cereal + Strawberries = pretty good. It ups the macros a bit but much more tolerable and filling.

Oct 27, 2017
Been on Soylent and I dig it but I wanted to try something new so I just ordered Huel (vanilla) to try out hope it's good

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
So the Ralphs I work at has this now (albeit for $3.99) and Soylent's inventory locator is showing Food 4 Less has it too. I think Kroger as a whole is starting to sell them, so if you have any locations near you and want a quick fix there's that!

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried Ample. It tastes even more like oatmeal than Soylent (and, in my opinion, worse because it has way less sugar). I do kind of like that it comes with the powder in a bottle so you can mix it yourself, so maybe I'll try using milk instead of water to see if it improves the taste.

So the Ralphs I work at has this now (albeit for $3.99) and Soylent's inventory locator is showing Food 4 Less has it too. I think Kroger as a whole is starting to sell them, so if you have any locations near you and want a quick fix there's that!

I get mine at the local 7-11, which is also sold for $3.99. Pricey but since I only grab them every once in a while, it's fine for what it is.

I'm thinking though if I get a sub (via Amazon most likely), I might have to drink 2 bottles per meal (probably breakfast most likely) and supplement with some fruit and Perfect Bar (my go-to is usually the peanut butter & dark chocolate chip bar).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
bvdrOjq.jpg
Picture of the strawberry bottle compared to the original bottle.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I drink Soylent now and again, usually when I don't feel like eating anything else. It does the trick, but after a couple of days of having them for dinner, I really start to want something with more substance.

Don't particularly care for the taste (Original bottled), but I mix it with some Ovaltine and it's just fine.

I need to stock up soon, actually. Having some dental surgery in a couple weeks that will probably leave me without the ability to chew for at least a few days, so Soylent will come in handy.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So, now that Soylent is banned in Canada, are there any international meal replacements that you would suggest? I need something to drink in the morning before work.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Received my Soylent strawberry box over the weekend. Had one this morning and I enjoy the taste, though it will not replace nectar for me. I have seen a couple other people describe it like the Nesquick/powder strawberry drinks and I think it is a good comparison.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried the strawberry and I loooove it. It's my new favorite flavor. It tastes just like a strawberry shake!
But I hate the new bottles! They brought back the plastic around the lid, and now it also has a foil covering underneath the cap. What a pain.

winkyface

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
BRING BACK NECTAR

Btw, has anyone tried Ketolent/Sated? I'm looking for a low carb Soylent alternative.