• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
0fm8iv5.jpg

I was browsing the Steam forums for the recently released Space Invaders Extreme and came over this post.
So it looks like Space Invaders Extreme, a game that was completely offline on consoles like the DS and PSP, is now online only on pc.

Why?! Never would I have imagined that this game of all games would suddenly turn into a online only game.
If they're afraid of the sanctity of the leaderboards just don't let people post to the online leaderboards while in offline mode!
I was actually thinking of buying this as I really enjoyed the previous games but now I certainly won't.
Such a baffling decision.

Now I don't own the game so I can't verify this, but it certainly looks like the game can't be played online.
Maybe somebody who owns the pc version can check?

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Crazy decision to make this online only. I can understand doing that if there is an online multiplayer mode, but this is a single player game that is ported from the XBLA or DS!

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What kind of DRM is it using? Enhanced steam isn't showing any kind of DRM being used

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Ew. I was planning to pick this up when I got a chance, but I doubt I'll buy it if it has this DRM.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
That's just nuts. Either the devs or the publishers are being pretty dumb with such a draconian approach. I guess I'll be sticking to the DS version.

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll take it off the wishlist. Hope Groove Coaster isn't online only too.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I've been playing Space Invaders Extreme for the past few days and had no idea; I just tried it. That's really unfortunate. I might have to reconsider for future Taito releases such as Groove Coaster for Steam.

sie_x64_2018_02_17_07muskh.jpg

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Fucking Space Invaders with always online DRM smh.
And it's the port of a 10 year old version to boot.

Shantom

Oct 25, 2017
Degica have been a great publisher for years and now they make a decade old Space Invaders online only? What the hell happened?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't have any problems with it (i'm online 100% of time) personally, but still strange decision.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I was actually going to buy the game this weekend. Guess I'll wait to see if this can be remedied though I doubt it.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless this is cracked, that's a hard pass from me then. Utterly idiotic decision.

Degica have been a great publisher for years and now they make a decade old Space Invaders online only? What the hell happened?
This is joint published between Degica and Taito.

I would be stunned if Degica greenlighted that, they have been great for years and this is very much unlike them.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have any problems with it (i'm online 100% of time) personally

The problem with this is not whether or not you have an internet connection, it's whether or not the authentication servers are still online. And since it costs money to run servers, they will eventually be taken down.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
In the same way as Steam advertises in the store page if a game supports controllers, they really need to put a banner in each game with mandatory online play. So you can simply decide to not purchase the game if you want to play this in a portable computer or in a GPD Win outside of home.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I refunded this as I couldn't use my Xbox One controller without Big Picture Mode and shortly after that I saw that it required online to play.
Will stick with the DS version I guess. =/

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Sensible choice. The poor publisher has no choice here, it's pirates that force them to such extreme measures.
Of course, pirates will simply play a version that will remove these checks anyway, and therefore this is just a giant "fuck you" to paying customers, but that's beside the point. It's the idea that counts.

Ambition

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of this exactly? Doesn't this encourage someone to pirate in order to play whenever? lmao

Dec 3, 2017
Sensible choice. The poor publisher has no choice here, it's pirates that force them to such extreme measures.
Of course, pirates will simply play a version that will remove these checks anyway, and therefore this is just a giant "fuck you" to paying customers, but that's beside the point. It's the idea that counts.

200w.gif

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about Groove Coaster.

They should at least have put a warning on the Steam page. Guess I'll just stick to my DS cart even if it doesn't have the extra songs the PC version offers.