• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I got inspired by that Thanos could exist thread as it reminded me of all the astronomy classes I've taken in school.
And it reminded me that space is awesome! Let's celebrate by talking about it!

First off I wanna talk about Blackholes. People really underestimate these things. Like let me use a simple example of just how incomprehensible these things are to us. If you actually got inside a black hole and were not crushed instantly and you had a ship capable of moving faster than the speed of light you would still never be able to escape through the Event Horizon. Once you entered the black hole every direction you move in would lead to the center of the hole. Up, Down, Left, and Right all of these things are meaningless there (at least in theory).

another cool thing about black holes and how scary they are is what goes down when a black hole absorbs another black hole. here's a short video that gives a really simple explanation on it.

thirdly since I just think this is really cool I would like to also share cryovolcanoes. Yea that's right we have volcanoes that shoot Solid chuncks of ice when they erupt in space too.

I'd go on but I'd need to bust out some copies of cosmos first haha. So y'all got any cool space thing's you would like to share? Or do y'all wanna start an argument on if you can leave a black hole?

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a pulsar in the Milky Way that spins at like 716 revolutions per second. If I remember correctly the speed it spins is like 25% that of the speed of light. Like holy shit.

Edit: AHA!

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Spanish days of the week are named after the planets and moons in our solar system.
Lunes-Moon
Martes- Mars
Miercoles- Mercury
Jueves- Jupiter?
Viernes- Venus
Sabado- Saturn
Domingo- I honestly don't know lol

OP
OP
Cantaim

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
There's a pulsar in the Milky Way that spins at like 716 revolutions per second. If I remember correctly the speed it spins is like 25% that of the speed of light. Like holy shit.

Edit: AHA!
Ok that is absolutely insane I didn't even think that would be possible haha.

On another note for a more Milky way focused fact, in 5 billion years it will be gone forever. The Milky Way will collide with Andromeda and be absorbed into it as the bigger galaxies always win those bouts. Like the countless galaxies the Milky way absorbed before it. Who knows how many stars and planets will be thrown into the dark void of space when that happens.

Last edited:

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I've always found holographic theory really interesting. It's about the discrepancy of the radiation of a black hole versus what formed it. It suggests that the surface area of a black hole can be used to explain its volume, which has some interesting ramifications. That a 2D surface can sort of be extrapolated into 3D information for the universe in general. It's very fascinating.

EDIT: I should mention that Brian Greene has been my favorite theoretical physics author. It's dumbed down enough for me to understand while he provides extensive footnotes for if you would like to dig a little deeper. Fabric of the Cosmos and The Hidden Reality were great reads.

Last edited:

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
1. Nothing, by nature, cannot exist;
2. There is no place where the universe (or universes) do not exist;
3. There is no time in which nothing could have existed;
4. Therefore there is no such thing as nothing; and further,
5. The universe (and all sets of universes) must be a closed system (since nothing cannot be outside of it);
6. Since there is no such thing as nothing and the universe is a closed system, everything within is both contained and related, meaning
7. Everything we are, we see, we know, everything is all interconnected and we are a part of that system, no matter how big it is,
8. We're all part of the universe, maaaaaaaaan

5eEQnP4.gif

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Here is a video detailing the sounds of the planets in our solar system! Obviously we can't hear the sounds ourselves due to how space works so NASA was able to detect the electromagnetic wavelengths coming from the planets and converted them to sound!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At its apogee, you can fit all the other planets in the space between the Earth and the Moon. And it's surprisingly snug.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My fascination is that something exists outside of this galaxy. What is it? How did it start? Why did it create in our universe? Sadly, I will never know the answer. I doubt we will discover an answer anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Spanish days of the week are named after the planets and moons in our solar system.
Lunes-Moon
Martes- Mars
Miercoles- Mercury
Jueves- Jupiter?
Viernes- Venus
Sabado- Saturn

Domingo just means the day of the lord. And the ones who do it were the Romans, and of course the planets were named after the gods by the greeks and we just got the Roman version of the Gods.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
1. Temperature works differently in space than a lot of people think. On Earth, things change temperature primarily by interacting with other matter. When you go outside and its cold, you (basically) get cold too because you come into with cold air.

In space though, there isn't any air. There isn't anything much in it really, since it's essentially a vacuum. This means that the kind of heat transfer we get on Earth isn't possible. Instead, the way you lose heat in space is by the process of radiation (which is the thing the sun does to keep us warm. All other objects radiate some heat too, just on a much smaller scale). The important part is that this process is much slower.

As a result, space isn't really "cold" the way most people would see it. If you walked out of the space station with no protection, you wouldn't immediately freeze to death. It would still happen, just not that fast. In fact, the International Space Station is equipped with large radiators that are needed to keep it cold when it's exposed to sunlight, since the sun heats it faster than it can naturally lose heat.

2. Water interacts with space in a really interesting way. The boiling temperature of water depends on the pressure around it. As a result, you have things like pressure cookers. They increase the pressure, and allow you to boil things at higher than 100°C (or whatever water normally boils in American units).

Once again though, there isn't really anything in space, and as a result, there's no atmospheric pressure. With no pressure, the boiling point of water gets very low. So low, in fact, that water in space will instantly start to boil. After it turns to gas though, it will then instantly freeze, since the very small gas particles will lose heat fast enough. (See here for more info)

3. This isn't directly related to space, but it's still very interesting to me. It's also not an established fact or anything, just a theory i found really interesting. Also, before I go on, I should say I'm not at all a quantum scientist, or a physicist in general, and the following is just what I got from Wikipedia and its sources. So maybe what I'm saying is all wrong.

Right now, scientists are having a pretty hard time combining the theories of special relativity and quantum mechanics. One of the big problems with the two theories is that they don't see time the same way. Basically, we right now have no idea how time works, and relativity has shown that it can work in some pretty weird ways that aren't really compatible with quantum mechanics.

One really interesting proposed solution to this is that time an "emergent" phenomena that only exists due to quantum particles interacting with one another. If true, this would mean, amongst other things, that for someone looking into a quantum system from outside it, time inside the system wouldn't exist. All he would see would be an unchanging, static system. (Taken from here, with the link to the paper). This fact was apparently proven on a small quantum system.

On a cosmological scale, this would imply that time as we experience it would not exist for an observer outside our universe (assuming that there even IS anything outside our universe).

This is all just an idea, of course (although seemingly with some experimental results). A proposed solution to an unsolved and presumably very complicated problem that will take considerable effort from physicists to solve. But it goes to show how little we actually know about physics. Particularly when things like time are concerned. And also how fascinating/crazy quantum mechanics and relativity are.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
In HS physics my teacher showed up a video that was a great visual for space time relativity. I've never found it but this is pretty close.

I do know that the clip I'm thinking of came from this movie. It used cricket or croquet balls thrown by passing spaceships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YByqTYzeJww

If anyone know the name I'd appreciate it.

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
No matter what humanity will never travel beyond the local group, which is a cluster of 54 galaxies around us even if we had sci fi tech. All other clusters of galaxies are moving away from us faster than we could ever catch up to them.

Eventually our local group will comebine into one galaxy and all other clusters will be so far away that all we'll see in the observable universe is our super galaxy and darkness.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
You know how big you think it is? It's bigger. Did you just imagine it being bigger than you thought it was? Good. It's bigger than that.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lunes-Moon
Martes- Mars
Miercoles- Mercury
Jueves- Jupiter?
Viernes- Venus
Sabado- Saturn

Pretty sure the days are named after gods, and so are the planets?

In Swedish we have the same, but our days are named after Odin, Thor, etc.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The observable universe is only 93 billion light years across. We may never know what lies beyond because any light from that far away can never reach us. The distance that it has to travel is increasing at a rate greater than 1 light-second per second.

In general the idea that galaxies are staying in roughly the same place but the distances between them are increasing is really trippy.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is a video detailing the sounds of the planets in our solar system! Obviously we can't hear the sounds ourselves due to how space works so NASA was able to detect the electromagnetic wavelengths coming from the planets and converted them to sound!

why does Mercury sound like the noise that happens when a serial killer is after you
why does Venus sound like an alarm ringing that a nuclear bomb is about to go off
Earth sounds how I expected it to. Lots of 'woosh' noises.
Ya'll ever seen Ghost of Mars? Mars sounds just like that. Like ghosts.
on the other hand Jupiter sounds like a big empty room, with a big guy in it blowing air hard.
yo FUCK saturn I swear you can hear children screaming and giggling in the background.
Uranus is pretty windy though.
Neptune sounds like you're at the beach, but instead of waves of water splashing on the beach, it's waves of very tiny glass
Pluto ain't even a planet but it sounds alright

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, let's see...

Quantum mechanics is important for star formation.

If you did a rough order of magnitude calculation of molecular cloud collapse, you would see that stars don't form at all due to not meeting a number called the Jeans mass. In order to obtain a star, you first need the cloud to collapse while maintaining its cool temperature. In order to make that happen, you need the molecules to be able to emit radiation at large wavelength. What provides that is the rotational energy levels of molecules, with the quantized energy levels occurring due to quantum mechanics. Nowadays, most of that is provided by carbon monoxide molecules.

Another rough calculation you can do is that if you calculate the rate of fusion and the rate of energy from it with the temperature of the sun's core, there isn't enough energy to power the sun. The reason is that the electromagnetic force prevents the atoms from fusing. But if you include the effects of quantum tunneling, where even if particles don't have enough energy to penetrate the potential barrier, there is a chance they can get through it, then everything works out.

Last edited:

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
By definition the universe is everything. There is no "beyond the universe."

There are at least two definitions of universe. Some people call what you are referring to as the multi-verse. Then you have what we call the observable universe.

The "outside the universe" question gets tricky right off the bat, because first you have to define the universe. One common answer is called the observable universe, and it's defined by the speed of light. Since we can only see things when the light they emit or reflect reaches us, we can never see farther than the farthest distance light can travel in the time the universe has existed. That means the observable universe keeps getting bigger, but it is finite – the amount is sometimes referred to as the Hubble Volume, after the telescope that has given us our most distant views of the universe. We'll never be able to see beyond that boundary, so for all intents and purposes, it's the only universe we'll ever interact with.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
1. Nothing, by nature, cannot exist;
2. There is no place where the universe (or universes) do not exist;
3. There is no time in which nothing could have existed;
4. Therefore there is no such thing as nothing; and further,
5. The universe (and all sets of universes) must be a closed system (since nothing cannot be outside of it);
6. Since there is no such thing as nothing and the universe is a closed system, everything within is both contained and related, meaning
7. Everything we are, we see, we know, everything is all interconnected and we are a part of that system, no matter how big it is,
8. We're all part of the universe, maaaaaaaaan

That has not been proven.

But yeah, that seems to be the implication of quantum entanglement.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Space fact! If you were to drop a golf ball while standing on the surface of the sun, you would die.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
There are at least two definitions of universe. Some people call what you are referring to as the multi-verse. Then you have what we call the observable universe.

Neither of those things is what he was talking about, though. If you go far enough out in the universe, you don't get to a place that isn't the universe. Everything is the universe, unless it's the multiverse, but for all the pop science theory articles about multiverses, it's more of a "wouldn't it be cool if" idea than actual testable science. For now, anyway. Never say never and all that.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Neither of those things is what he was talking about, though. If you go far enough out in the universe, you don't get to a place that isn't the universe. Everything is the universe, unless it's the multiverse, but for all the pop science theory articles about multiverses, it's more of a "wouldn't it be cool if" idea than actual testable science. For now, anyway. Never say never and all that.

Well put. And thanks for identifying that movie. Although I just realized that it was my freaky Chem teacher that showed the Einstein bio. Not the cool physics teacher.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Well put. And thanks for identifying that movie. Although I just realized that it was my freaky Chem teacher that showed the Einstein bio. Not the cool physics teacher.

Sadly I can't find the full thing online. There's another YouTube upload that's titled "Einstein Revealed 4/4" but it's the same clip you linked and the account doesn't have any other parts up.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- We know more about the Moon and Mars than the depths of Earth's oceans.
- The distance between sea level and the deepest point in Earth's oceans is the same length as the circumference of the Moon.
- More people have been on the Moon than in the Mariana Trench.

Last edited:

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
- We know more about the Moon and Mars than the depths of Earth's oceans.
- The distance between sea level and the deepest point in Earth's oceans is the same length as the circumference of the Moon.
- More people have been on the Moon than in the Mariana Trench.

The circumference of the earth's moon is 10,921 km or 6,786 miles.

do oceans go that deep?