• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's marvel at the emptiness of space.
Pale_Blue_Dot.png
The Pale Blue Dot - Pale Blue Dot is a photograph of planet Earth taken on February 14, 1990, by the Voyager 1 space probe from a record distance of about 6 billion kilometers (3.7 billion miles, 40.5 AU), as part of the Family Portrait series of images of the Solar System.
Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

The Hubble Deep Field - The Hubble Deep Field (HDF) is an image of a small region in the constellation Ursa Major, constructed from a series of observations by the Hubble Space Telescope.
The field is so small that only a few foreground stars in the Milky Way lie within it; thus, almost all of the 3,000 objects in the image are galaxies, some of which are among the youngest and most distant known. By revealing such large numbers of very young galaxies, the HDF has become a landmark image in the study of the early universe.

Important events coming up in the coming months/years:

• SpaceX Falcon 9 will launch the Dragon CRS-13 spacecraft on a cargo delivery mission to the International Space Station - DEC 4TH 2017
  • Blue moon / Bloody Blue Moon - JAN 31ST 2018
    • The blue moon will coincide with a total lunar eclipse, also known as a blood moon
    • Visible from Asia, Australia, the Pacific Ocean and western North America
    • Link
  • James Webb Space Telescope launch in 2018 - OCT 2018
    • This telescope will essentially replace the Hubble Space Telescope (RIP). NASA prefers to call it the successor.
    • NASA Link
    • As seen inthis image: its mirror is much larger than the Hubble's, which means it can peer much deeper into space.

Last edited:

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mirach's Ghost
Image Credit & Copyright
: Kent Wood
Explanation: As far as ghosts go, Mirach's Ghost isn't really that scary. Mirach's Ghost is just a faint, fuzzy galaxy, well known to astronomers, that happens to be seen nearly along the line-of-sight to Mirach, a bright star. Centered in this star field, Mirach is also called Beta Andromedae. About 200 light-years distant, Mirach is a red giant star, cooler than the Sun but much larger and so intrinsically much brighter than our parent star. In most telescopic views, glare and diffraction spikes tend to hide things that lie near Mirach and make the faint, fuzzy galaxy look like a ghostly internal reflection of the almost overwhelming starlight. Still, appearing in this sharp image just above and to the left of Mirach, Mirach's Ghost is cataloged as galaxy NGC 404 and is estimated to be some 10 million light-years away.

MirachNGC404KentWood_1024.jpg

OP
OP
fierrotlepou

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mirach's Ghost
Image Credit & Copyright
: Kent Wood
Explanation: As far as ghosts go, Mirach's Ghost isn't really that scary. Mirach's Ghost is just a faint, fuzzy galaxy, well known to astronomers, that happens to be seen nearly along the line-of-sight to Mirach, a bright star. Centered in this star field, Mirach is also called Beta Andromedae. About 200 light-years distant, Mirach is a red giant star, cooler than the Sun but much larger and so intrinsically much brighter than our parent star. In most telescopic views, glare and diffraction spikes tend to hide things that lie near Mirach and make the faint, fuzzy galaxy look like a ghostly internal reflection of the almost overwhelming starlight. Still, appearing in this sharp image just above and to the left of Mirach, Mirach's Ghost is cataloged as galaxy NGC 404 and is estimated to be some 10 million light-years away.

Cool! I could look at images like that for hours at a time.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...n-could-be-from-another-solar-system-a2017-u1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ect-may-first-confirmed-interstellar-visitor/

The first object known to come from elsewhere in the galaxy!

"The exciting thing about this is that this may be essentially a visitor from another star system," said Dr Edward Bloomer, astronomer at the Royal Observatory Greenwich.

If its origins are confirmed as lying beyond our solar system, it will be the first space rock known to come from elsewhere in the galaxy.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Carl Sagan quote is amazing. I feel humbled every time I read or hear it. It's so true, this is our world and the only one we have.

And that Hubble Deep Field image is also great. To think that it was taken at a spot that normally has nothing visible in it, and it ended up showing thousands of galaxies...

Hubble_Deep_Field_location.gif

OP
OP
fierrotlepou

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First thread added to watch list :)
Great to hear!

So glad that you created this!! Happily followed. :D
Great!

That Carl Sagan quote is amazing. I feel humbled every time I read or hear it. It's so true, this is our world and the only one we have.

And that Hubble Deep Field image is also great. To think that it was taken at a spot that normally has nothing visible in it, and it ended up showing thousands of galaxies...

Me too, it just says it all and puts things in perspective. It should be required reading, in my opinion. How could you still be hateful after really thinking it all through? Oh well.

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna follow this thread.

Looking forward to seeing new images from the James Webb telescope when it's finally up and running. I wonder what strange discoveries we'll find.

And also looking forward to seeing/watching the flyby of the Kuiper Belt from the New Horizons mission.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hope you don't mind me posting Nasa's pic of the day :)

NGC 6369: The Little Ghost Nebula
Image Credit:
Hubble Heritage Team, NASA
Explanation: Wraithlike NGC 6369 is a faint apparition in night skies popularly known as the Little Ghost Nebula. It was discovered by 18th century astronomer Sir William Herschel as he used a telescope to explore the medicinal constellation Ophiucus. Herschel historically classified the round and planet-shaped nebula as a Planetary Nebula. But planetary nebulae in general are not at all related to planets. Instead they are gaseous shrouds created at the end of a sun-like star's life, the dying star's outer layers expanding into space while its core shrinks to become a white dwarf. The transformed white dwarf star, seen near the center, radiates strongly at ultraviolet wavelengths and powers the expanding nebula's glow. Surprisingly complex details and structures of NGC 6369 are revealed in this tantalizing image composed from Hubble Space Telescope data. The nebula's main round structure is about a light-year across and the glow from ionized oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms are colored blue, green, and red respectively. Over 2,000 light-years away, the Little Ghost Nebula offers a glimpse of the fate of our Sun, which could produce its own planetary nebula about 5 billion years from now.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171028.html

ngc6369littleghosthst8sjmw.jpg

OP
OP
fierrotlepou

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope you don't mind me posting Nasa's pic of the day :)

NGC 6369: The Little Ghost Nebula
Image Credit:
Hubble Heritage Team, NASA
Explanation: Wraithlike NGC 6369 is a faint apparition in night skies popularly known as the Little Ghost Nebula. It was discovered by 18th century astronomer Sir William Herschel as he used a telescope to explore the medicinal constellation Ophiucus. Herschel historically classified the round and planet-shaped nebula as a Planetary Nebula. But planetary nebulae in general are not at all related to planets. Instead they are gaseous shrouds created at the end of a sun-like star's life, the dying star's outer layers expanding into space while its core shrinks to become a white dwarf. The transformed white dwarf star, seen near the center, radiates strongly at ultraviolet wavelengths and powers the expanding nebula's glow. Surprisingly complex details and structures of NGC 6369 are revealed in this tantalizing image composed from Hubble Space Telescope data. The nebula's main round structure is about a light-year across and the glow from ionized oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen atoms are colored blue, green, and red respectively. Over 2,000 light-years away, the Little Ghost Nebula offers a glimpse of the fate of our Sun, which could produce its own planetary nebula about 5 billion years from now.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171028.html
Not at all. Reading the excerpt, I'm fascinated that people were already exploring the night sky in the 18th century. They were looking at nebulae and distant galaxies, and I've only seen the moon through a small telescope. I really, really should go to an observatorium soon.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now we're talking! Can we talk about the BFR? 2022-24 seems kinda unrealistic, but if this thing is anything close to what's promised, my pants will explode.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally just got a telescope today as a birthday gift and I'm excited to use it. Main problem: I've never used one before and I'm not sure where to start and what's a good set of stuff to look at first. Any suggestions?

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just got a telescope today as a birthday gift and I'm excited to use it. Main problem: I've never used one before and I'm not sure where to start and what's a good set of stuff to look at first. Any suggestions?
What kind of telescope? First thing I'd recommend is the Moon, particularly when it's at 50% full or less. The reason why is that when the Moon is super bright, you won't be able to get a lot of contrast and the craters won't pop out as nicely. The best place to look is along the terminator (where the dark part meets the sunlit part).

The main benefit of this is that you don't need to get out into a dark sky. You can do it from your balcony, back yard, etc. and leave the lights on, so you can see what you're doing.

Yeah, I'm going to try posting more again. Work had me pretty burned out this past year and I found myself pulling away from the internet a bit.

Not at all. Reading the excerpt, I'm fascinated that people were already exploring the night sky in the 18th century. They were looking at nebulae and distant galaxies, and I've only seen the moon through a small telescope. I really, really should go to an observatorium soon.
What I find really cool is that many of those galaxies and nebulae were found and catalogued by comet hunters who were tired of being fooled by these "non-comets". These astronomers didn't know what they were. They just knew that they weren't comets and were therefore mostly uninteresting.

The Messier catalog is the most famous and prolific of these catalogs. Ironically, it's now known as the list of most stunning astronomical objects in the northern half of the sky.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Found myself reading up on Andromeda at 5AM.

For some, the scale of the universe is terrifying, but I somehow find solace in its sheer beauty.

One of my favourite things to remember when I feel down comes from Alan Watts; he said how we are all simply living extensions of the universe that are looking back at itself.

OP
OP
fierrotlepou

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For some, the scale of the universe is terrifying, but I somehow find solace in its sheer beauty.

One of my favourite things to remember when I feel down comes from Alan Watts; he said how we are all simply living extensions of the universe that are looking back at itself.

Yea, it's not terrifying to me, it's fascinating. I've read that somewhere as well, that we are the universe experiencing itself.

By the way, if you want something else to read until 5AM: check out http://futuretimeline.net. I'm not saying it's scientifically accurate, but he bases a lot of his "predictions" on scientific articles. It's an awesome website!

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of telescope?

It's a Celestron PowerSeek 70AZ, I believe. Nothing super powerful but it seems like it'll be a good starter one.

First thing I'd recommend is the Moon, particularly when it's at 50% full or less. The reason why is that when the Moon is super bright, you won't be able to get a lot of contrast and the craters won't pop out as nicely. The best place to look is along the terminator (where the dark part meets the sunlit part).

Alright, cool. Thanks for that advice!

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Night on a Spooky Planet
Image Credit & Copyright: Stéphane Vetter (Nuits sacrées)

Explanation: What spooky planet is this? Planet Earth of course, on a dark and stormy night in 2013 at Hverir, a geothermally active area along the volcanic landscape in northeastern Iceland. Geomagnetic storms produced the auroral display in the starry night sky while ghostly towers of steam and gas venting from fumaroles danced against the eerie greenish light. Tonight, there is also a chance for geomagnetic storms triggered by recent solar activity, so high-latitude skygazers should beware. Ghostly shapes may dance in your neighborhood pretty soon, too.

Hverir_Vetter_960.jpg

Spooky :)

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
There's a recent APOD that's really relevant to this concept:

Nucleosynthesis2_WikipediaCmglee_1080.jpg

And then compare that to our chemical composition:

1280px-201_elements_oflsun.jpg

It's a Celestron PowerSeek 70AZ, I believe. Nothing super powerful but it seems like it'll be a good starter one.
Neat! Congrats. Depending on your latitude, you might have a shot at seeing Saturn in the evening, low in the southwest. Whereabouts are you? If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, the Andromeda Galaxy (M31), the double cluster in Perseus and--if you're willing to stay up past midnight--the Orion Nebula (M42) are great beginner deep-sky objects to look at.

I'd recommend having a look at these star charts to help you out:

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Even simpler: Is the universe self-aware?

Yes. You are the universe.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neat! Congrats. Depending on your latitude, you might have a shot at seeing Saturn in the evening, low in the southwest. Whereabouts are you? If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, the Andromeda Galaxy (M31), the double cluster in Perseus and--if you're willing to stay up past midnight--the Orion Nebula (M42) are great beginner deep-sky objects to look at.

I'd recommend having a look at these star charts to help you out:

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

I'm in semi-rural Alabama, outside of Montgomery. It's technically a small town but it should get dark enough here that shouldn't have too much trouble with light and if it does cause problems, super dark emptiness is only a five to ten minute drive away. Thanks for all of the advice so far, it's really helpful and I'll be checking out those skymaps too!

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, cool OT! I'll be posting in here a bit as I find Astrophysics pretty cool. Here's a Science OT, for stuff other than space that interests you.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that Google has a link to the ISS in Google Maps. You can browse the inside of the space station and its actually not like I imagined. Seems like it could use some wire management and maybe storage management too.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/science...nfirmed-to-be-from-another-solar-system#img-1

6000.jpg

Astronomers are now certain that the mysterious object detected hurtling past our sun last month is indeed from another solar system. They have named it 1I/2017 U1('Oumuamua) and believe it could be one of 10,000 others lurking undetected in our cosmic neighbourhood.

The certainty of its interstellar origin comes from an analysis that shows its orbit is almost impossible to achieve from within our solar system.

Its name comes from a Hawaiian term for messenger or scout. Indeed, it is the first space rock to have been identified as forming around another star. Since asteroids coalesce during the process of planet formation, this object can tell us something about the formation of planets around its unknown parent star.

The latest analyses with ground-based telescopes show that 'Oumuamua is quite similar to some comets and asteroids in our own solar system. This is important because it suggests that planetary compositions like ours could be typical across the galaxy.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some fairly high drama regarding the Space X "Zuma" launch. Quick rundown:

• DoD mission, highly secretive
  • Rumors that the payload did not achieve orbit due to a faulty Northrup collar
  • This collar was contractually required to be made by Northrup
  • Space X now on the record, intensely so, that everything in the mission went fine

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OSIRIS-REx reaches asteroid Bennu

NASA makes historic rendezvous with ancient asteroid, prepares to collect a sample. After a two year journey, NASA has made contact with an ancient fragment of the universe that, if all goes according to plan, will allow us to better understand the origin of life.

One of the reasons we want to go to the asteroid is that these materials haven't really been altered that much since the solar system formed, so they can tell us a lot about how planets came together

The spacecraft will now spend about a year mapping and studying Bennu to find a safe location to collect a sample.

Pic of Bennu (approx. 500m wide asteroid and pic taken from 19Km out) -

2ff3741e9371d62f634f4496ad081b20

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa, sorry for bringing this up from the grave but I think it's the best OT to ask about science-astrophysics-space source of news. What would you recommend? I'm trying to find something that's not 100% academic language but I'm also not a fan of "science news" websites that use clickbait and try too hard to be "cool" if you know what I mean...

I found Phys.org to be a nice source, but it's just one site so far.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, sorry for bringing this up from the grave but I think it's the best OT to ask about science-astrophysics-space source of news. What would you recommend? I'm trying to find something that's not 100% academic language but I'm also not a fan of "science news" websites that use clickbait and try too hard to be "cool" if you know what I mean...

I found Phys.org to be a nice source, but it's just one site so far.
Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy blog

www.syfy.com

Bad Astronomy | SYFY WIRE

Latest Bad Astronomy news and updates from SYFY WIRE. Read more at SYFY WIRE now.

Dr Becky's youtube channel