• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that most space nerds are on this thread, i think is important to know who is leading NASA right now. Just today Administrator Bridenstine answered to a lot of questions from NASA workers and i think is worth a listen.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy

Crew Dragon is coming... and it looks so elegant and sci-fi.

The first Crew Dragon Capsule, built for the uncrewed demo launch, has been completed and is about to visit NASA's environmental testing facility for acceptance testing. Hoping to see a launch in August/September!

We are approaching the era of SpaceX astronauts! (Or better NASA astronauts riding SpaceX rockets and capsules, at least for now)

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017
The first commnaut will be really cool, not a fan of touch screen panels though, surely analog is less likely to fail

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
It's triple redundant (there are three independent screens that can replicate the same functions, one isn't visible in the photo) and vital commands have dedicated physical buttons underneath the screens that aren't shown in that mockup.

Plus it's cool.

You can be sure SpaceX and NASA know what they're doing ;)

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Just a reminder that:

which means they plan on having it at the cape in early August, and the fact they're shipping it to Plum Brook now suggests they're on schedule.
The DM-1 capsule has been scheduled to ship to Plum Brook at the end of May for quite some time (I think at least 2-3 months), so the hardware isn't holding them back.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think another thing that holds Crew Dragon up will be the certification of Falcon 9 Block 5.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
NASA loves throwing spanners into the works even when things look good :/

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue SpaceX has right now with NASA is the fueling procedures. Old Guard is very uncomfortable with the Fuel at last minute approach that SpaceX has done in order to keep the fuel super cold and condensed for maximum fuel. As the Astronauts will be onboard during fueling its a safety risk potentially.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds backwards to me. When the astronauts are on board, they are as safe as can be, wearing their suits, protected by the capsule, and ready to blast off on the launch escape system at the first hint of danger. Then you only start the "dangerous" fueling procedure when they're nice and safe. The other way round, you turn the rocket into a potential bomb and *then* tippy-toe up to it whispering "shhh" and get ready to duck and cover when the shockwave comes.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue SpaceX has right now with NASA is the fueling procedures. Old Guard is very uncomfortable with the Fuel at last minute approach that SpaceX has done in order to keep the fuel super cold and condensed for maximum fuel. As the Astronauts will be onboard during fueling its a safety risk potentially.

By the sounds of it, NASA are coming around to the "load and go" approach.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Webcast for the Iridium-6 / NASA's Grace Follow-on mission is LIVE!

Launch in 15 mins

No 1st stage landing for this mission, but an attempt will be made for the fairings.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I half heard the commentator say something about ignoring the employee reactions since they were seeing a different camera. I take it that suggests the fairing recovery didn't go well? Seems early for that.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Fairing recovery was not successful.

Mr Steven needs to up his catching game.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good news for the Falcon heavy on the Government side of things. The Crew Dragon Capsule was also brought out to Testing facilities in Ohio for Thermal Vacuum chamber testing yesterday. Seems like things are progressing pretty well for SpaceX. First Crewed flight is scheduled for Jan 17 2019 as well now

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Good news for the Falcon heavy on the Government side of things. The Crew Dragon Capsule was also brought out to Testing facilities in Ohio for Thermal Vacuum chamber testing yesterday. Seems like things are progressing pretty well for SpaceX. First Crewed flight is scheduled for Jan 17 2019 as well now

Real crew? How many unpiloted test flights are they expecting before that - seems close

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real crew? How many unpiloted test flights are they expecting before that - seems close
As far as what's known right now they are shooting for Uncrewed test flight in September to LEO and a midflight abort test sometime this year as well then the manned crew mission in Jan will be NASA and limited to 2 Astronauts only.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
As far as what's known right now they are shooting for Uncrewed test flight in September to LEO and a midflight abort test sometime this year as well then the manned crew mission in Jan will be NASA and limited to 2 Astronauts only.

Still seems quite fast. Some stones in the 2 people in the capsule if it's only had 2 unmanned flights and 3 total for the Heavy.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still seems quite fast. Some stones in the 2 people in the capsule if it's only had 2 unmanned flights and 3 total for the Heavy.
Its a pretty fast schedule but Boeing is pretty much on the same pace and is doing its launch early next year as well. Deal with Russia expires next year so they need these guys ready. Obviously if something goes wrong it will throw a wrench in things.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017

The US went from nothing to the moon and back with 3 different spacecraft in 12 years. Mercury started in 1958 with Alan Shepard becoming the first American in space in 1961, and of course the first lunar landing in 1969.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The US went from nothing to the moon and back with 3 different spacecraft in 12 years. Mercury started in 1958 with Alan Shepard becoming the first American in space in 1961, and of course the first lunar landing in 1969.

Companies like SpaceX are operating on a small percentage of the budget for the program that got the US to the Moon. They also don't have the weight of the entire US government behind them.

Total cost of the Apollo, Mercury and Gemini programs is something like $200 billion in today's money.

SpaceX's first decade of operation had a total budget of $1 billion, and as of last year they were still well under $1 billion annually. So call it $5 billion total.

It's an almost totally incomparable situation.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Capsule won't be on the Heavy, but the Block 5 Falcon 9, which should have had 8 (IIRC) flights by then.
Ahh in that case, substantially less likely to have a problem.

Thanks for the history lesson? I'm more than well aware of what has gone before thanks.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Ahh in that case, substantially less likely to have a problem.

Thanks for the history lesson? I'm more than well aware of what has gone before thanks.

DBT85 said:
Still seems quite fast.

The Crew Dragon has been in development since 2010. They performed a successful pad abort test in May of 2015. They performed a hovering test in November of 2015. This September will be the first mission without a crew to the ISS, and then the planned crew test next January. So that's 8 years of development, just under 3 years testing with fuel in the capsule. And the Crew Dragon uses lessons learned from the original Dragon, which has been conducting missions since 2012 (design started on that in 2004). So Crew Dragon will have had around 7 years or so of design and testing before people go up in it.

Compared to the rapid pace of the early US manned space program, I don't think that's all that fast. That was my point. I don't think the snark was warranted.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The Crew Dragon has been in development since 2010. They performed a successful pad abort test in May of 2015. They performed a hovering test in November of 2015. This September will be the first mission without a crew to the ISS, and then the planned crew test next January. So that's 8 years of development, just under 3 years testing with fuel in the capsule. And the Crew Dragon uses lessons learned from the original Dragon, which has been conducting missions since 2012 (design started on that in 2004). So Crew Dragon will have had around 7 years or so of design and testing before people go up in it.

Compared to the rapid pace of the early US manned space program, I don't think that's all that fast. That was my point. I don't think the snark was warranted.

Then perhaps post the above, rather than what you posted. An informative useful reply rather than "look dumdum they did all this" which is what your first reply read like.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be stated that the levels of standard that NASA is demanding on both Commercial Crew providers is just senseless. It's magnitudes higher than the reliability for Shuttle missions - this is the biggest cause of the delays for both Boeing and SpaceX.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be stated that the levels of standard that NASA is demanding on both Commercial Crew providers is just senseless. It's magnitudes higher than the reliability for Shuttle missions - this is the biggest cause of the delays for both Boeing and SpaceX.
The reason the Space Shuttle isn't flying anymore is because 2 of them exploded in flight. I don't think it's unreasonable to demand higher standards for the next crewed space launch vehicle.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The reason the Space Shuttle isn't flying anymore is because 2 of them exploded in flight. I don't think it's unreasonable to demand higher standards for the next crewed space launch vehicle.

NASA had an acceptable loss rate of 1 in 80 for the Space Shuttle. They are demanding a 1 in 270 rate for Commercial Crew. The Space Shuttle took 10 years to develop and fly (and even then almost never made it back after it's first flight). So for there to be any kind of criticism for either Boeing or SpaceX given NASA demands is a little harsh IMO.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you sir.

I believe this is the last LEO block 4 expendable launch.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Last Block 4 launch overall. *pours one out*.

All Block 5s from now on. Including Falcon Heavies.