• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Nailed it. ez.

Nice to see the secondary landing pad at LZ1. Waiting for that FH launch..

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Ahh a thread to sub to.

Didn't realise the plan was fora FH launch before the end of the year. Is that timeframe still expected?

If they land 3 stages at the same time in 2 different locations then....whew.

Amazing they were able to zoom in so close while tracking it so well.
probably using these.

Img_0972.jpg

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I think they plan to get Heavy vertical on the pad before the new year, for a test fire.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, nearly all the weight is in the engines and plumbing at the bottom. The tanks are light.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think they plan to get Heavy vertical on the pad before the new year, for a test fire.

I think the plan is to have a number of static fires to gather enough data about what happens when you light up 27 engines in the space of a split second :)

They also need to get Elon's roadsterr ready for it's trip into the beyond.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Its been pinging around /r/SpaceX as the possible catching device for first stage fairing recovery.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This user was warned: Driveby post with an intention to bait other users
Elon musk is a disgusting man and you should all be ashamed for supporting SpaceX

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Falcon Heavy is in the house hanger!

ukKwxWZ.jpg

JPlpKFV.jpg

5LxhMfS.jpg

The most powerful rocket in the world, ladies and gents :)

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
That's crazy. Shame its not asparagus staging but I'll take it.

Going to make some noise on takeoff!

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool, hopefully launch goes ahead next week.
That's Iridium-4, a Vandenburg launch of a pre-flown "block 3" Falcon 9. They're making no recovery attempt for this launch, presumably because they only consider it worthwhile to re-re-use the block 4 and 5 models.

FH should be in January, if all goes to plan.

Gennady

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Elon musk is a disgusting man and you should all be ashamed for supporting SpaceX
Considering his reputation at this forum and it's predecessor you make a good point, however unless amazon, JPL, or another US outfit will match or exceed their performance, he'll be accepted as a necessary evil in the name of progress.
Until such time comes that he outlived his usefulness.

I wouldn't like to be in his shoes.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Considering his reputation at this forum and it's predecessor you make a good point, however unless amazon, JPL, or another US outfit will match or exceed their performance, he'll be accepted as a necessary evil in the name of progress.
Until such time comes that he outlived his usefulness.

I wouldn't like to be in his shoes.
...how can one type things like this and not feel excessively self-righteous and arrogant I will never understand. 'A necessary evil in the name of progress'? He's a person like all of us for god's sake, trying to do some good as everyone does and failing at it sometimes (and succeeding at it more than the majority of us perhaps, btw). He's evil but Amazon, JPL (which btw isn't a competitor to SpaceX so not sure why you listed it), and I assume General Motors are holy entities...

On topic: An old animation to hype things up ;) While all three boosters land at the Cape in the video, the Jan mission will see the center core doing a droneship landing.

Last edited:

Gennady

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
...how can one type things like this and not feel excessively self-righteous and arrogant I will never understand. 'A necessary evil in the name of progress'? He's a person like all of us for god's sake, trying to do some good as everyone does and failing at it sometimes (and succeeding at it more than the majority of us perhaps, btw). He's evil but Amazon, JPL (which btw isn't a competitor to SpaceX so not sure why you listed it), and I assume General Motors are holy entities...

He hasn't exactly made many friends in the media and on twitter during recent events with his brand of cars and his alleged transgressions toward women, his detractors aren't known for their short memory retention either. the only thing that makes him "acceptable company" in these spheres are the fact that he's backing some successful technology projects. That's the very definition of a necessary evil.
once these companies fizzle, become outdated or when his money ran out he'll lose everything, i only sympathize his position.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
How about you post such a thread elsewhere then? This thread is not about Musk alone, it's also about the innovation of a company with thousands of very talented engineers.

Unless you have a story about such treatment at SpaceX?

Yuri_G

Oct 30, 2017
He hasn't exactly made many friends in the media and on twitter during recent events with his brand of cars and his alleged transgressions toward women, his detractors aren't known for their short memory retention either. the only thing that makes him "acceptable company" in these spheres are the fact that he's backing some successful technology projects. That's the very definition of a necessary evil.
once these companies fizzle, become outdated or when his money ran out he'll lose everything, i only sympathize his position.

That link literally says nothing about Musk and women. I've read nearly all there is about the man and he is flawed, but steadfastly altruistic about creating a better future. Nothing from these "gotcha" news articles has stuck because they are all twisted facts and click bait.

On-topic: I can't wait for Falcon Heavy. It'll be my first rocket launch!

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Falcon Heavy really is the rocket version of 3 Gamecubes taped together.
I hope the launch goes well. This is our first step to Mars!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They're planning to land all three sections on falcon heavy? Won't the central stage be way higher/faster/further away than previous falcon flights? Do they need to add more protection/heat shielding?

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
MrKlaw, they are indeed planning on landing all three sticks. The side boosters will be a "RTLS" which means both will land together (and very close to the same time - six sonic booms!) at Landing Zones 1 and 2 at Cape Canaveral AFS. The centre core I believe will be attempted to land at sea on a drone shop.