• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
Elon's Roadster has been fitted to a custom off-centered payload adapter, at an angle so it can fit in the fairing. Shit is actually happening

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Elon's Roadster has been fitted to a custom off-centered payload adapter, at an angle so it can fit in the fairing. Shit is actually happening

I mean why not? The rocket launch is purely for testing purposes, why not send a car to space. Great publicity for both companies and for the luls.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Wow, so he's doing the car thing after all?

If all works out, I hope they pick it back up someday and put it in a museum (on Mars, naturally).

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to put a camera and mic in so we can hear Space Oddity.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Today's launch will be at 17:27 Pacific time. That's the early hours of the morning for me, but Americans and European night owls can watch live here:

No 1st stage landing attempt, but it looks like they'll try and catch a fairing half. No idea if there will be any video of that.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Today's launch will be at 17:27 Pacific time. That's the early hours of the morning for me, but Americans and European night owls can watch live here:

No 1st stage landing attempt, but it looks like they'll try and catch a fairing half. No idea if there will be any video of that.

It's great to see the new Iridium NEXT satellites being deployed. One major new upgrade capability of the new generation of these very versatile satellites is the ability to pick up tracking signals from planes. Since the transponders are typically in the belly of the aircraft, designed to be picked up by ground-based air traffic control systems, this is going to be quite a feat.

Iridium NEXT is planned to vastly increase the ability to track aircraft, reducing the incidence of untracked disappearances such as MH370. In particular, the southern hemisphere coverage will turn on like a light bulb in a darkened room.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on when the Falcon Heavy is going up next month at Canaveral? I'm planning my birthday trip around it.

I would hope you have a good two week window for this - there is going to be a LOT of static fire tests of Falcon Heavy before they commit to a launch. Essentially it's a window for all activity with no NET (Not earlier than..) time.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I would hope you have a good two week window for this - there is going to be a LOT of static fire tests of Falcon Heavy before they commit to a launch. Essentially it's a window for all activity with no NET (Not earlier than..) time.

Yup, I have a pretty loose window on the end of the month and just live over in Tampa Bay so it's a 3 hr drive there for me. I just need to get the request in within 4 days to my boss.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll be ok in that case, but you'll be booking time on very short notice I bet :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdA94kVgQhU/

Just looked at these images and thought of Space Oddity being played..

25790952_10160289821735131_6150153929922682926_o.jpg

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 Minutes until launch
http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Great Launch with hilarious results. In Arizona News went wild reporting unidentified event in the sky. Since it was a night launch could see it all the way in Phoenix over 530 miles away

Last edited:

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Just saw this from my back yard in Peoria AZ, my wife thought the nukes we're finally flying lol. It didn't help that the local news said, "what appears to be a missle in the sky to the west... I've never seen anything like it."

I couldn't believe how fast it was moving.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Really annoyed I sat here and watched this on YouTube when I could have gone outside and seen it with my own damn eyes.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this from my back yard in Peoria AZ, my wife thought the nukes we're finally flying lol. It didn't help that the local news said, "what appears to be a missle in the sky to the west... I've never seen anything like it."

lol yeah it was quite the sight to watch. Have to say would like to see more night launches.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

Twitter is currently in a panic over it, lol. Half think it's North Korea or aliens, half know it's SpaceX.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
lol yeah it was quite the sight to watch. Have to say would like to see more night launches.

Absolutely, I'm upset I didn't catch the whole flight, but it was really something.

Twitter is currently in a panic over it, lol. Half think it's North Korea or aliens, half know it's SpaceX.

This adds a whole new layer of entertainment to the launch, too funny.

Last edited:

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I live close to the launch location so it looked beautiful here. I got my camera out when it was already too late though.
1K5Mquo.jpg

Last edited:

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
This basically launched from my backyard. I've actually learned to remove anything hanging on the wall because my house literally shakes. This launch was pretty damn beautiful too! Wish they did more dusk launches.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Me and some friends saw the rocket flying away and thought it was a plane crash. We had no idea this was even happening until we googled it.

So cool though, being able to see this so up close. SD represent!

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Had no idea this was happening. Was driving home and saw it moving by in the night sky. Wish I was better tracking this to have watched the whole thing.

Rarity

Dec 3, 2017
Watched this from SoCal and didn't know what it was while it was happening. It was astonishing.

Oct 25, 2017
Did something about this launch make the pattern look different than normal? The separate thing spinning around with the puffs of smoke was confusing me.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Didn't catch the launch but I am assuming it was a success. Eon Musk real is the real life Tony Stark. If anyone is able to get us back to the moon or Mars it would be this man.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
filmed it by accident while I was at work.

I work at caltech, and saw it while I was setting up the holiday buffet.

Please excuse me and my coworkers bafflement, we didnt know what it was till the executive chef told us Elon Musk was launching his own personal rockets.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017

Incredible footage. Perfect timing for this, with the western cities just after sunset and the rocket taking off into the light of the sun. A real treat :)

Last edited:

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
Nah these imbeciles insist it's aliens or secret government stuff on spacex's own gram.

But Elon confirmed it!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/944399853316055040?s=17

That's a wrap on 2017 and a pretty packed schedule for SpaceX. Can you believe 18 landings have occurred this year? That's 18 times an entire 1st stage wasn't scrapped.

On a side note, the DOD audit on SpaceX's quality controls are worrying. Let's hope that they've worked on these things for the block 5 model. Once you have live crew everything changes.

Link to report: https://media.defense.gov/2017/Dec/22/2001860659/-1/-1/1/DODIG-2018-045_REDACTED.PDF

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
some stunning footage of Iridium 4. Another complete mission. Awesome cadance this year.

Oct 27, 2017
No idea about it and walked outside to see it. No joke, thought it was something crashing down to the ground and it looked so close over my house. Super cool though

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Did that weird ship end up used with the catching arms?
It sailed out to the recovery area, but either they didn't try to catch a fairing, or they failed to. This report:

"Took a quick drive around the harbor this morning. Long story short, nothing interesting enough to try and get pictures on a crappy iPhone camera. Mr Steven is back, all four arms appear to be attached and unchanged from previous photos. No evidence of any nets, bouncy castles, or fairing halves visible from public roads."