• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Is this the first time they have reused the fairing?

edit - never mind, answered on previous page.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
4 uses of a single booster is crazy impressive. It's wild to think there are 6 more planned uses for that booster since they're designed for 10 uses.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Fyi with all the hoopla over Disney+ I noticed National Geographic Mars: Inside SpaceX is on there. It's basically a documentary on the falcon heavy launch and Mars ambitions, definitely worth watching

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Just pop the top back on and keep testing - also, just in case it wasn't clear this was simply liquid nitrogen being used to test the tank. Obviously there were weld problems....

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that it blew and took the top ring with it. Wonder if that's better or worse if it was just the bulkhead itself that went (as far as fixing any potential engineering or fabrication issues for Mk2/3/4/etc.). Super bummer though, I was excited to see if they'd actually get it to fly by the end of the year :(

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to Mk 3 to continue does make a lot more sense. Its using a closer to final hull style instead of the piecemeal welded together series of plates. It might set them back a week or two but I don't think it will delay them long as Mk2 and Mk3 are already to a similar build stage

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
ww7mvclw6xz31.png

/r/spacexmasterrace doing the good work.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
CRS19 due up in '15. ASDS landing this time around as they're doing some long mission duration thermal testing for the upper stage.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
It's that time, again! (...in a bit over 9 hours.)

Tonight, the JCSAT-18/Kacific1 mission launches on 12/16 @ 7:10pm EST (12/17 @ 12:10am UCT). The payload is a dual-purpose broadcast/communications satellite, destined for a geostationary orbit over the Asia-Pacific region. The Falcon 9 first stage is set to land on the ASDS, and both fairing catchers are waiting at their expected drop zone.

Want to watch the festivities live? SpaceX Launch Stream (starts @ ~6:55pm EST / 11:55pm UTC):

Want to nerd out over dull procedural checklists? Mission Control Audio Stream (starts @ ~6:55pm EST / 11:55pm UTC):

Want to watch the launch stream, but with more parasocial commentary? Everyday Astronaut's launch stream (starts @ 6:40pm EST / 11:40pm UTC):

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
It's that time, again! (...in a bit over 9 hours.)

Tonight, the JCSAT-18/Kacific1 mission launches on 12/16 @ 7:10pm EST (12/17 @ 12:10am UCT). The payload is a dual-purpose broadcast/communications satellite, destined for a geostationary orbit over the Asia-Pacific region. The Falcon 9 first stage is set to land on the ASDS, and both fairing catchers are waiting at their expected drop zone.

Want to watch the festivities live? SpaceX Launch Stream (starts @ ~6:55pm EST / 11:55pm UTC):

Want to nerd out over dull procedural checklists? Mission Control Audio Stream (starts @ ~6:55pm EST / 11:55pm UTC):

Want to watch the launch stream, but with more parasocial commentary? Everyday Astronaut's launch stream (starts @ 6:40pm EST / 11:40pm UTC):

Thanks for the heads up.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
OT, but essential viewing.

Boeing Starliner is due up for OFT-1 in around 30 minutes

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
They are reporting an Off Nominal orbital insertion. Waiting to see how serious the situation is.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way even if it is in an orbit that it's anything useful. The burn was delayed by five minutes, and given it's an instantenous launch window to meet the ISS this points to a misson failure.

I just don't understand Boeing's strategy to use LES fuel to give the capsule a kick into orbit. Let Atlas V do that..

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible day for Boeing. It was bad enough that they were charging $50m more per CCS launch than SpaceX, then this happens.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
So what now, burn for de-orbit?

It won't reach the ISS, so mission fail there. I suspect they'll raise the orbit enough to perform in flight non-ISS related testing programs and then de-orbit at it's intended landing window.

If it had not achieved a stable orbit from launch it would have de-orbited somewhere over south Australia.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
We won't know until the press conference, but a good guess is that they are trying to adjust the orbit they have so they can bring it down at the proper place and practice landing.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible day for Boeing. It was bad enough that they were charging $50m more per CCS launch than SpaceX, then this happens.

Wait till either Boeing or SpaceX lose an astronaut. Even if it happens purely by chance, people will point to it as "proof" that that company shouldn't be flying manned missions.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait till either Boeing or SpaceX lose an astronaut. Even if it happens purely by chance, people will point to it as "proof" that that company shouldn't be flying manned missions.

It should be noted that NASA has pushed both Boeing and SpaceX into some pretty insane LOC standards, especially when it comes to NASA's own (especially with the Shuttle) with the CCS contract. Its one of the major reasons why both companies have only now got to the stage of being able to launch their vehicles.

On a plus point after today's activities, credit should be given to ULA for a flawless performance of the man rated Atlas V, and especially the new dual engine Centaur upper stage. It looks to have performed outstandingly.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way even if it is in an orbit that it's anything useful. The burn was delayed by five minutes, and given it's an instantenous launch window to meet the ISS this points to a misson failure.

I just don't understand Boeing's strategy to use LES fuel to give the capsule a kick into orbit. Let Atlas V do that..
LES fuel? Can someone explain what this means?

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand how a mission timer could be sole reason for the failure to properly insert. Are you telling me the entire spacecraft just operates on that timer, and once it was clear that no insertion was happening, its RCS thrusters continued to operate as though it was inserting? It doesn't take into account attitude, velocity etc.... and you know, sensors that verify the engines are firing. The explanation doesn't make sense IMO.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
LES fuel? Can someone explain what this means?

Launch Escape System.

On the Starliner the same system that would be used to perform an abort is also used for orbital insertion, it's an efficiency measure because you don't waste fuel and engine weight that way.

Dragon 2 has the Super Draco thrusters as it's Launch Escape System, but these are used solely for abort and have zero use in an on-profile mission.

I don't understand how a mission timer could be sole reason for the failure to properly insert. Are you telling me the entire spacecraft just operates on that timer, and once it was clear that no insertion was happening, its RCS thrusters continued to operate as though it was inserting? It doesn't take into account attitude, velocity etc.... and you know, sensors that verify the engines are firing. The explanation doesn't make sense IMO.

If I were Boeing, I wouldn't trust my attitude or altitude sensors either tbh.

Probably safer for all involved to trust a simple clock, rather than have the capsule continually pitch down and actively try to kill everyone on board.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Launch Escape System.

On the Starliner the same system that would be used to perform an abort is also used for orbital insertion, it's an efficiency measure because you don't waste fuel and engine weight that way.

Dragon 2 has the Super Draco thrusters as it's Launch Escape System, but these are used solely for abort and have zero use in an on-profile mission.
Interesting, thank you!

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
If I were Boeing, I wouldn't trust my attitude or altitude sensors either tbh.

Probably safer for all involved to trust a simple clock, rather than have the capsule continually pitch down and actively try to kill everyone on board.

Apparently not though. Trusting the clock is what caused it too waste it's thruster fuel in this case. The design needs to be more robust, and verify that it truly is about to perform the orbital insertion burn before going into it's high precision attitude adjustment mode.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Got a spacex hat and falcon 9 model for Christmas- very exciting

Also my daughter got an astronaut Barbie and was very excited (we are also assembling my LEGO Saturn V together slowly)

Last edited: