• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
3bigyq7miwq11.jpg

Launch and landing, from the same camera.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not entirely on topic, but I thought a few here might like to pour one out to Kepler.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7272

A great job well done.

I'm constantly amazed how far some of these missions are pushed. Kepler observed some 530,506 stars and found the following -

All Exoplanets

Confirmed Planets with Kepler Light Curves for Stellar Host

Confirmed Planets Discovered by Kepler

Kepler Project Candidates Yet To Be Confirmed

Confirmed Planets with K2 Light Curves for Stellar Host

Confirmed Planets Discovered by K2

K2 Candidates Yet To Be Confirmed

Source

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Check your local listings: National Geographic's documentary Mars: Inside SpaceX is now airing.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Launch scheduled for just over 1h30 from now. Weather looking a bit dodgy though. Will be live here:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Tuning in for the launch and downloaded the doco.

Bahh humbug. I literally only care about them landing the damned thing and they lost the feed lol

Last edited:

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
According the Chris from NSF, Boeing seems to be pretty stuck.

What we know about this is that there was quite a serious anomaly in the firing of the CST launch abort engines (I think there was a major leak of hypergolic fuel after shutdown). This was in June. Boeing at the time said it had addressed the issue. Unless it's another thing that is obviously much more of an issue.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Nice. Whats the plan for the mission? Just into orbit and back down?

EDIt: oh no, dock with ISS for a few weeks then re-enter. Apparently that capsule will be used for an in flight abort test later on.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Whats the plan for the mission? Just into orbit and back down?

EDIt: oh no, dock with ISS for a few weeks then re-enter. Apparently that capsule will be used for an in flight abort test later on.

Yep, they're going to use it as a cargo type mission but mainly its proving it in a complete CRS mission lifecycle, including (and its a big one) the automated docking system. The Soyuz-FG returning to flight with the recent Progress mission was important, as it would mean that the next Soyuz crew could go up, and thus there are people on the station ready to supervise the Crew Dragon docking and take over if necessary.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
There's a conspiracy theory going around that this has been pushed by some who want Boeing CST to be the first crewed commercial mission to "grab the flag" left by the Shuttle.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Soyuz MS-11 successfully launched today to the ISS. Manned return to flight for the vehicle after their anomaly.

This bodes well for the DM-1 mission NET January 8th from LC39A.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP a bit. Latest BFR/Starliner info, old F9 models retired, deleted the launch/landing/failure counts cos I can't be bothered updating them all the time (and hadn't since May anyway!)

Launch today at 18:30 UTC (local time) is SSO-A, a rideshare mission for 64 (sixty four!) small satellites into a sun-synchronous orbit (one where the sun is in the same position relative to the ground, each time the satellite passes over). It will be the *third* flight for this particular booster. Live stream here:

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Well, era was all sorts of broken during the launch, but everything went perfectly. That booster has now launched from all three of SpaceX's launch sites. It was their 64th launch and their 32nd landing.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

Looks like they pulled them out fast enough that Musk says they can reuse them. I'm not saying they will reuse them, only that Musk thinks they look good. Maybe they didn't get any water on the inside of the fairings?

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what reason they have for cutting away? There could be several of course, but I'd love to hear which one it actually is.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
RIP B1050. We hardly knew you :(

I think it may have caught a gust of wind?

Either way, they needed to land it in the water - cutting away helped just in case they were not successful there.

Primary mission success - first land based landing failure though :(

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Everyday Astronaut showed footage from kspace academy (iirc) of almost the entire landing. Hope it doesn't affect their RTLS at Vandenburg, or in general.