• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that those who are leaving end up in similar positions quickly - I wonder if Blue Origin are looking that way?

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
There was no way the BFR could be transported by road to Texas/East coast from LA, they would have to go through Panama canal every time, so this seems like logical move.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
It blew over in the wind >_<

95BsFdN.jpg

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
TBF it is just the "cosmetic" top part. The heavy bottom half with the fins etc. is just fine.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. It's paying tribute to the old steel Atlas rockets that used to flop on the pad.

FuocoVivo

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
This is pretty big news, on the anniversary of Falcon Heavy demo static fire too.
Any hype for Crew Dragon's first flight? SpaceX is getting closer and closer to finally launching astronauts to the ISS with the second flight of the capsule!

(LOUD AUDIO WARNING)

Last edited:

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty big news, on the anniversary of Falcon Heavy demo static fire too.
Any hype for Crew Dragon's first flight? SpaceX is getting closer and closer to finally launching astronauts to the ISS with the second flight of the capsule!

Forgot I had my volume up and that firing had me jump in me seat. Humans privatised in space again, bring it on.

(we can all forget about those celebrity visits now)

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Starship will essentially sweat water or methane for evaporative cooling during reentry as a "regenerative heat shield"- pretty cool (no pun intended).

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a25953663/elon-musk-spacex-bfr-stainless-steel/
On the windward side, what I want to do is have the first-ever regenerative heat shield. A double-walled stainless shell—like a stainless-steel sandwich, essentially, with two layers. You just need, essentially, two layers that are joined with stringers. You flow either fuel or water in between the sandwich layer, and then you have micro-perforations on the outside—very tiny perforations—and you essentially bleed water, or you could bleed fuel, through the micro-perforations on the outside. You wouldn't see them unless you got up close. But you use transpiration cooling to cool the windward side of the rocket. So the whole thing will still look fully chrome, like this cocktail shaker in front of us. But one side will be double-walled and that serves a double purpose, which is to stiffen the structure of the vehicle so it does not suffer from the fate of the Atlas. You have a heat shield that serves double duty as structure.

There was speculation on a water jacket for cooling, but I'm not sure anyone speculated on this. I'm curious as to what effect heat does to the shape/size of the perforations. Is it somewhat self regulating?

The article also goes into more properties about the alloy they're using.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
First flight Raptor engine is on the test stand. Heck of an engine :)

kEYXrei.jpg

iLsCyMb.jpg

It's comparable in thrust to the Space Shuttle's main engine. Starhopper will have 3. Starship will have 7. The "Super Heavy" booster will have 31

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
As a point of comparison, Raptor is projected to have roughly double the thrust of the current Merlin, as well as a slightly higher Isp.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

I linked the one without audio in the interest of preserving everyone's right speaker. In case the tweet doesn't load, the explosion and fire appears to have simply been a successful Raptor test fire. Monster rocket is monster.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Green tinge in the plume might be a bit of "engine-rich" combustion, but it looks they did two "burp" tests back to back, which shows confidence. 31 of these things all at once boggles the mind.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Cool vid saw a cool videos from Everyday Astronaut about why they are going with stainless steel instead of composite for the Starship. He's quite good.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
As someone very nicely put it on the nasaspaceflight forum, the Raptor engine is something the size of a cargo van that produces as much power as the entire country of Switzerland, all forced through an opening the size of a toilet seat.

To be fair, you can make similar comparisons with other engines; Raptor is very good, but it's still inside the general ball park. Still, it puts into perspective just how hard rocket engineering is.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
If they get that engine working, it'll be a rarity (full flow staged combustion).

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Just going a little OT here, but there's an Ariane 5 launch tonight.

The interesting thing here is that ESA are really making this coverage an "event". I'd like to think the likes of SpaceX are driving this kind of coverage. It makes space launches so much more engaging with this kind of presentation to the viewer.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the recent Delta 4 Heavy launch with my 5yo daughter. We've enjoyed lots of SpaceX launches, but I think this was the first she'd seen from another launcher. She liked the bit when the booster cores dropped off. Then this:

"Daddy, when is it going to land?"
"It doesn't."
"Not any of it?"
"No. All three of those rockets just fall in the sea."
"Oh no! Really?"
"Really."
"That's very silly."

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
She's smart :)

It's got to a point where I cringe at all this hardware being launched and not recovered. It'll be even worse with SLS (if it ever launches).

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I watched the recent Delta 4 Heavy launch with my 5yo daughter. We've enjoyed lots of SpaceX launches, but I think this was the first she'd seen from another launcher. She liked the bit when the booster cores dropped off. Then this:

"It doesn't."
"Not any of it?"
"Oh no! Really?"
"Really."
"That's very silly."

Brilliant.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be even worse with SLS (if it ever launches).
I think it'll fly at least once, in 2020. The VAB has been modified to handle it. The launch pad and tower are complete (inside the VAB) ready to be crawlered out. The 1st first stage is into final assembly, with the 2nd on its way. There's nothing impossible about SLS, it's just dumb.

I'm sure SpaceX will bust a gut to have a "structural test" version of Starship/Super Heavy on pad 39A, gleaming away in the background when it finally launches. And then the SLS schedule has a 2 year gap before the first crewed flight. That should be enough time for SS/SH to start flying. If #dearmoon flies before 2022, it's all over for the pork barrel rocket.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I think it'll fly at least once, in 2020. The VAB has been modified to handle it. The launch pad and tower are complete (inside the VAB) ready to be crawlered out. The 1st first stage is into final assembly, with the 2nd on its way. There's nothing impossible about SLS, it's just dumb.

I'm sure SpaceX will bust a gut to have a "structural test" version of Starship/Super Heavy on pad 39A, gleaming away in the background when it finally launches. And then the SLS schedule has a 2 year gap before the first crewed flight. That should be enough time for SS/SH to start flying. If #dearmoon flies before 2022, it's all over for the pork barrel rocket.
Watch the govt spend more money on it regardless.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I miss Starman. I wonder if they'll ever find out how far it went.

Didn't they compute a rough Mars transition orbit? If they got it right it'll just orbit the sun forever in an ellipse taking it close to Earth's orbit and then close to Mars' orbit. They deliberately overshot the aphelion so the Tesla can never be captured by Mars gravity.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, even as I spoke, SLS flight 1 got pushed back to 2021

Meanwhile, less than a week after the first test fire, Raptor is up to flight spec thrust

Followup: "Design requires at least 170 metric tons of force. Engine reached 172 mT & 257 bar chamber pressure with warm propellant, which means 10% to 20% more with deep cryo."

longer duration burns next, I guess.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

"It doesn't."
"Not any of it?"
"Oh no! Really?"
"Really."
"That's very silly."

you should tweet that to SpaceX

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I am betting SLS will only fly once. It exists solely as a job consumer. It's pretty disgusting imo.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're continuing to impress. This was supposed to be one of their hardest booster landings, it had already flown twice, and they're taking about flying it again in April for the high altitude Crew Dragon abort test.