• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Sheeeiiiiit.

Sounds like there was an issue with the Super Draco thrusters. Orange smoke usually means hypergolics (this is what nerfed CST-100 right a few months).

Rumors are the capsule was "nearly destroyed"

:/

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
That looks like a total loss of capsule. So many permutations to this re super dracos.

Elon's been quiet on Twitter - so that's a concern too.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Yeah, the abort system blowing up the capsule is gonna put SpaceX Commercial Crew back a looooooooooooooong way.

They were a good 6 months ahead of Boeing, maybe more. This is the sort of thing that could now put them years behind.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Really early speculation by me, but I wonder if either the re-entry or landing in sea did something to the internals of the fuel system and/or the Super Dracos themselves. from what I understand, all the thrusters share a prop loop network between them all - I am concerned that firing up the Super Dracos after use for preparation for the inflight abort was a mistake - in fact using a used capsule for the abort a mistake on its own.

If it was something like the above, a potential option would be to split the super draco loop away from dracos, and then essentially creating a LES loop - for which they could safe when they reached orbit, dump the propellent and then use the dracos as normal from there.

Either way, I'm massively bummed out by this news.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
More talk online pointing to a COPV failure. Maybe salt water ingestion post landings may be involved too.

NASA and SpaceX were already aware of fuel line heating required between DM1 and DM2, and small issues revolving around COPVs.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh, pretty sure that's just the Arabsat launch getting replayed for clicks. Last I checked the center core for the Air Force mission was getting test fired in Texas just a few days ago.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think next month I'm going to take a drive to the Boca Chica site. Would be cool to see a rocket on the pad but if not I'll just snap some pictures of the empty site. Will be cool just to say I've checked it out

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I watch pretty much all the launches so Youtube likes to recommend all those clickbait live videos to me, so I'm used to seeing them.

Btw, there's a real SpaceX launch in a hour or two, CRS-17. They had to switch the landing site from RTLS to a drone ship just off shore because they're still dealing with the Dragon 2 capsule explosion cleanup. Apparently the landing booster should be partially visible over the horizon after landing, would be a great shot for flat-earthers if it wasn't so late at night in Florida.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Rocket go up, rocket come down. Dragon on it's way to the ISS.

Very pretty night launch, you can really see just how much of a toasting the 1st stage gets when the 2nd stage lights up.

Also an awesome infrared camera shot of the drone ship landing, followed by a live ride all the way down since the ASDS was just off shore and they didn't have to rely on garbage satellite reception.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
EDIT: Original post below. I posted something old as new by mistake.

They've just recovered the three boosters for the first time. Both lateral boosters on land AND the central one on a barge.

Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
They've just recovered the three boosters for the first time. Both lateral boosters on land AND the central one on a barge.
Whatever livestream you're watching has about a two week lag. Don't want to spoil anything but the Atlantic in spring isn't exactly glass. It was a hell of a launch though.

Last night's launch was a regular Falcon 9, but it was still pretty cool.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
God damn my notifications betrayed me then. Thank you. I'll edit and clarify the post so nobody gets confused. It's the same Arabsat clickbait.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think some channel has been "live" streaming that FH launch on repeat for a while now

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
First Starlink launch on Wednesday. 60 satellites in one go.

Wow, I hope they will be able to deploy them all. Will the last stage taxi them all out to their orbit, or will satelites get into place individually with onboard fuel?

As someone who can only get 13mbit internet connection at my house, I can't wait to see how this tech will eventually end up performing, both in bandwidth and latency.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know what deployment strategy they'll be using for this first launch. 60 is a lot for a single orbital plane, so I suspect the 2nd stage will have enough fuel left over to make one or two plane changes.

These won't be fully operational anyway. Gwynne has already confirmed that this batch don't have satellite to satellite comms. Literally just a test of deployment, fleet operations and ground stations. Not the full network.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I hope they will be able to deploy them all. Will the last stage taxi them all out to their orbit, or will satelites get into place individually with onboard fuel?
Apparently some kind of crazy spin maneuver
https://arstechnica.com/science/201...ellites-and-deploy-them-like-a-deck-of-cards/
In order to save mass, each of the 60 satellites will not have its own release mechanism, such as a spring. Instead, Musk explained, the Falcon rocket's upper stage will begin a very slow rotation, and each of the satellites will be released in turn with a different amount of rotational inertia.

"It will almost seem like spreading a deck of cards on a table," Musk said. There may actually be some contact between the Starlink satellites, he added, but they are designed to handle it.

I hope they get some cool video of that

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
And they're live.

And they're not.

Oh well, looking forward to tomorrow. Everyday astronaut said they're planning on showing the satellite deployment so I'm looking forward to that.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
The extra budget required to make this a reality has not been appropriated, and the WH has made Congress choose between (not enough) money to accelerate the moon programme OR not raid a fund for education of disadvantaged children. It will not get funded, and NASA is not going to the moon in 2024, or ever at this rate.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
This is how NASA are going to land on the moon as per that video

ix5zkoh0ulx21.png

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
At this launch. It better go tonight!

Nothing tonight huh? Took off on time and the stage 1 landed. Too bad it was on the drone ship. Saw a little on the horizon at least.

Cool experience.

Last edited:

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Got to take a tour of the Hawthorne factory floor. It was pretty incredible seeing guys working on freaking rocket engines and big pieces of Falcon 9s waiting for assembly.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I missed the Starlink mission - but it was cool to see the satellite deployment on replay.

That was a massive 'deck of cards'

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Very cool. SpaceX continues to innovate where rivals either don't imagine or don't risk, both in technologies and business models.