• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delayed Until 2:30 AM EDT

Going to be the most complex launch and delivery yet for SpaceX. Should be an interesting night
The mission is rather complex. The Falcon Heavy's second stage will make four burns to place spacecraft into three different orbits. The first spacecraft will be released from the upper stage less than 13 minutes after liftoff, but the last one won't be deployed until more than three and a half hours after liftoff.

"STP-2 is a remarkable achievement for the entire team," said Air Force Col. Tim Sejba, director of the innovation and prototyping directorate at the Air Force's Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), in a June 20 statement. "In one launch, we'll deliver 24 spacecraft to a variety of orbits. Each of these missions will advance civil and military objectives by demonstrating next generation space technologies."

Livestream will be watchable here

Last edited:

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
This Launch also massively breaks the record for Max-Q on a Falcon launch (42 seconds into flight). The Arabsat FH reached Max-Q at 69 seconds, and the GPS-3 F9 reached it at 64 seconds.

This thing is going to SOAR off the pad, can't wait to see it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Title updated per OP's request.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Animation of all the different maneuvers the upper stage will perform, pretty cool

Hardan

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, finally catching a launch live since the Falcon Heavy Test Launch.
Thanks youtube for notifying me! :)

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
Those booster landings are always awesome, especially at night! I hope they can get the center core to land as well.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Center core looked like it probably got slow and sideways enough to have a fairly soft water landing.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the center core didn't make it, that's too bad. They knew it was a long shot, but it would have been cool to see it land. That was really good footage of it though.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Center core didn't manage to slow down in time and executed it's water landing instead, RIP.
It missed enough to where I think the software purposefully pushes it away to avoid drone ship damage.

Yeah It seemed like one of the 3 engines didn't light so the computer moved it for a water landing.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Center must have been coming in real hot. The simultaneous side booster landings never feels old.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, you can't get them all. Still, two landings and a successful primary mission, that's not bad at all. It's kind of hilarious though that the one time the drone ship feed doesn't cut out, we get images of a core killing itself to save the boat. Maybe the power of love kept the feed alive.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Oh well, you can't get them all. Still, two landings and a successful primary mission, that's not bad at all. It's kind of hilarious though that the one time the drone ship feed doesn't cut out, we get images of a core killing itself to save the boat. Maybe the power of love kept the feed alive.
I think it's supposed to take like 5+ hrs to release all the satellites at their various orbits, with multiple engine restarts. Long way to go for this mission haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wow that's cool, I wasn't aware it had that sort of system

Yeah it was a lesson learned after they messed up
one of their drone ships with a crash landing early on. It's pretty easy to guess early on whether the landing will succeed or fail given the data set they have now (Aka they know they need to slow down to x speed by y height or they will exceed the design max for the landing legs)

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's supposed to take like 5+ hrs to release all the satellites at their various orbits, with multiple engine restarts. Long way to go for this mission haha.

Ha, yeah. I still think of the launch as The Mission. I'm going to blame that on seeing one too many launch failures in my time. But you're absolutely right, the launch isn't worth a whole hell of a lot if the satellite deployment fails.