• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The Spanish numbers are here and Three Houses managed to sell about 2.5x times more than Fates on its first week.

Fire Emblem Fates opening : 8.000
Fire Emblem Three Houses opening : 19.500

The result is even more impressive given the rise in digital share since then and the fact that the 3DS was successful in Spain.

It is also the #6 biggest opening of the year above big and acclaimed games like The Division 2, MK11 or Sekiro.

Congrats to the team for this remarkable achievement !

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ah, I was debating if a thread should be made, but it's a very significant performance indeed.

These are crazy increases, both this and UK (113% higher (2.13x) than Fates), and suggest that FETH will be that breakout title for the FE franchise beyond the level that Awakening broke out to.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great news. So the only region we know of where it's not huge growth is Japan, where the physical sales were less than fates (but we have no idea how digital might compare in this case and based on circumstances like the vouchers it probably did better digitally there)

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I was debating if a thread should be made, but it's a very significant performance indeed.

These are crazy increases, both this and UK (113% higher (2.13x) than Fates), and suggest that FETH will be that breakout title for the FE franchise beyond the level that Awakening broke out to.
I am still not sure where it'll land, legs will be crucial. However, I think it'll sell at least 1m than Fates did.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care much about corporation sales figures but the game itself is certainly much better than the last three Fire Emblem games imo, and honestly I think I'm probably enjoying it more than the GC and Wii ones as well

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great news. So the only region we know of where it's not huge growth is Japan, where the physical sales were less than fates (but we have no idea how digital might compare in this case and based on circumstances like the vouchers it probably did better digitally there)
Yes, a plausible scenario that emerges from the available data is that Japan is down or flat compared to Fates while the rest of the world will be significantly up (2x or more).

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This pleases me. After being underwhelmed with pretty much every major Switch release and the Fire Emblem series in general since... Radiant Dawn, I have to say that I'm blown away by Three Houses. It's an exceptional video game and addicting as hell!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not from Spain, but I bought it today after hearing so much positive feedback and watching a little of cohhcarnage streaming it.

I was very (!) sure that I wouldn't buy it, because fe wasn't really for me since Awakening, but with the apparently much improved story and we'll written characters, I'll give it a try again.

Nice to see it succeed too!

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
The hype rollercoaster of this game's pre-release made me believe in videogames again.

And so far the game is perfect.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
With Kingdom Hearts 3, that's 2 JRPGs on the best-selling games of the year list. These kind of games have always had trouble getting localized to Spanish so hopefully this trend continues.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely interested to see what sales are like in the US. It's definitely going to be the biggest for an FE yet.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Awesome to see. The devs did a really good job with this one in spite of a few flaws, and I'm glad people are willing to give the franchise a chance. Looks like it's going to do very well in the west.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be mine when the new Switch model releases in august. Great to see JRPGs succeed as they are rather niche genre in west.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is, surprisingly, my favorite game of the year, so I'm all for it getting this level of success.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It makes sense, at least in the Barcelona area some friends of mine told me that the game was out of stock the launch day in several stores (MediaMarkt, Game, some big stores...) and it was harder than usual to find a copy, so Nintendo Iberia could have potentially sold even more games.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense, at least in the Barcelona area some friends of mine told me that the game was out of stock the launch day in several stores (MediaMarkt, Game, some big stores...) and it was harder than usual to find a copy, so Nintendo Iberia could have potentially sold even more games.
eShop, baby

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
It's my first Fire Emblem, I expected a good tactical. Instead I got my GOTY so far. Well deserved, hope this continue

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Game of the Year, baybee! The release date was perfect, its only competition is Wolfenstein. And coming a few months after Game of Thrones left me wanting sure doesn't hurt.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too early to see how good encounter design is overall, but I love the balance. Right when I'm done talking I'm ready to fight and boom there it is.
At least for me, about 30 hours in/Chapter 9, all paralogues and side quests cleared, the map design is blah, the objectives are lame, and goodness, there's literally no challenge to this (one of the "hard missions" took me three turns to clear).
I'm pretty miffed about that, but on the other hand, it's so incredibly well written and engrossing that I swallow the bitter pill anyway.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
At least for me, about 30 hours in/Chapter 9, all paralogues and side quests cleared, the map design is blah, the objectives are lame, and goodness, there's literally no challenge to this (one of the "hard missions" took me three turns to clear).
I'm pretty miffed about that, but on the other hand, it's so incredibly well written and engrossing that I swallow the bitter pill anyway.
You are playing in Normal/Easy ?

Some of the paralogues can get pretty tough but you'll get more of them later.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Very interesting to see Three Houses crush series launch records in basically every region except its home turf

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see Fire Emblem see so much success, and TH does a lot of things right, but I hope anime school isn't going to be the future of the series. That would be incredibly disappointing.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah, I know, but both I and some of my close firends like to have the physicial copy (in my case I really like to collect Nintendo LEs). The thing is that one of the biggest spanish videogame forums had a thread about the LE disponibility (it was a nightmare to get one) and the launch day most users reported that most stores had less than 10 copies (general stores, maybe GAME etc... had more), and I remember that Amazon.es delayed several shipments to today, so the numbers could have been slightly better. But as always with Nintendo, limited stock is their thing.

With Kingdom Hearts 3, that's 2 JRPGs on the best-selling games of the year list. These kind of games have always had trouble getting localized to Spanish so hopefully this trend continues.
At least the games from Nintendo come almost always localized (big exception was Tokyo Mirage, that was neither translated to spanish or dubbed to english, but it was a niche game released the last days from the WiiU era). About JRGPs, the last Tales of were also translated, but Persona, Kiseki, and several other series would greatly benefit from a spanish translation, sadly in the country there's lots of people that is not willing to play unstranslated games.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing! It's been the GotY for me so far.

The game truly beats Fates out of the water, it improves on everything so far plus the story and character are miles better. I think that Japan will show growth, too - but we will have to wait until digital numbers over there. From my understanding, this was an expensive game over there, so you saved a lot of money if you got it with the vouchers.

I hope that the US's numbers are also an improvement over Fates!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to see. Truly a great game.

It's interesting, I loved the 3DS games, but this one makes those seem really small and...inconsequential, for lack of a better term. It's the best FE they've done in a long time imo.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018

I played normal classic & most of the route was pretty simple. There were a couple of maps where thieves all of a sudden thieves had silver swords & could rip through you if you weren't careful, but it wasn't very challenging overall. I'm excited to start my Hard Mode New Game + this evening.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I played normal classic & most of the route was pretty simple. There were a couple of maps where thieves all of a suddent had silver swords & could rip through you if you weren't careful, but it wasn't *super* challenging. I'm excited to start my Hard Mode New Game + this evening.
Hard Mode was the perfect difficulty for me. Hoping you'll enjoy it.

Pafounapa

Oct 25, 2017
And you didn't want us to shame you for playing normal/casual ;)

Not that it would have changed much, since hard/classic with divine pulse is still fairly easy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like you're playing on Normal? We knew that was basically Easy from reviews. Hard's challenge picks up quite a bit the further you go -- a rare example of a Fire Emblem with a more natural difficulty curve, rather than an inverse one.

Map quality and objective variety are pretty good IMO. While many overall objectives might be "rout" or "kill commander," the game makes sure to throw interesting wrinkles in. Map design might not be as meticulous as Conquest's, but it blows Awakening/Birthright/Revelation/SoV out of the water. A couple of the maps in the BL post-skip have been some of my favorites in recent memory.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm exactly in the same chapter, and I agree that the game feels too easy. Playing Hard/Classic I expected a challenge, but so far I felt like I can complete most side missions with Edelgard only (no, not you Ferdinand, go hide in the bush already or you will die). Mission design is a mixed bag, the big monsters and the civilians (and some terrain like water or lava, or the fog map) have made me use the full potential of battalions or some units, but there's a fair amount of Awakening-style big plains with some bushes here and there that are not that interesting. Objectives so far are too simple, thankfully the Shinigami guy is there to offer some challenge in several maps.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, I know, but both I and some of my close firends like to have the physicial copy (in my case I really like to collect Nintendo LEs). The thing is that one of the biggest spanish videogame forums had a thread about the LE disponibility (it was a nightmare to get one) and the launch day most users reported that most stores had less than 10 copies (general stores, maybe GAME etc... had more), and I remember that Amazon.es delayed several shipments to today, so the numbers could have been slightly better. But as always with Nintendo, limited stock is their thing.

At least the games from Nintendo come almost always localized (big exception was Tokyo Mirage, that was neither translated to spanish or dubbed to english, but it was a niche game released the last days from the WiiU era). About JRGPs, the last Tales of were also translated, but Persona, Kiseki, and several other series would greatly benefit from a spanish translation, sadly in the country there's lots of people that is not willing to play unstranslated games.
Seeing how Sakura Wars is going to be localized, I'm guessing the next Persona will too (if not P5R). Judgment bombed in Spain though so maybe that'll change the plans.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm exactly in the same chapter, and I agree that the game feels too easy. Playing Hard/Classic I expected a challenge, but so far I felt like I can complete most side missions with Edelgard only (no, not you Ferdinand, go hide in the bush already or you will die). Mission design is a mixed bag, the big monsters and the civilians (and some terrain like water or lava, or the fog map) have made me use the full potential of battalions or some units, but there's a fair amount of Awakening-style big plains with some bushes here and there that are not that interesting. Objectives so far are too simple, thankfully the Shinigami guy is there to offer some challenge in several maps.
Hard classic was fairly easy early on but got way harder during some of the post time skip maps for me and the last two blue lion maps were absolute monsters to contend with

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Even the Paralogues have been pretty easy (though they're slightly more interesting in terms of objectives, I'll give you that).

And you didn't want us to shame you for playing normal/casual ;)

Not that it would have changed much, since hard/classic with divine pulse is still fairly easy.
Well I'm actually on Classic :P

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Seeing how Sakura Wars is going to be localized, I'm guessing the next Persona will too (if not P5R). Judgment bombed in Spain though so maybe that'll change the plans.
I'm not that confident, Vc4 was the first in the series translated to Spanish and didn't do well (in any region tbh), and I don't remember if P5 was succesful. I remember that both Octopath and Xc2 were well received here (as well as FF XV, Spain is big with KH and FF), so I think that both big JRPG names and Nintendo games are guaranteed to be localized, but smaller games like Persona need bigger sales. But at the same time they need to be in Spanish to obtain the big sales.